AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-04-02, 01:29   Link #1
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

2700HGV-E Modem Bandwidth Limiting

Looks like I finally brought this down to my family and had a fight with them.

I am currently running on a rather ripoff internet service who decides it is an excellent idea to share cabled TV with broadband in the same server. As a result, when other local couch potatoes enjoy their foreign drama, the internet users start to lag like mad.

Apparently it doesn't help by emailing those chimpanzees at the helpdesk, so I decided to find a way to forcibly share our bandwidth. Unfortunately it is impossible to modify the crap firmware on the crap 2wire modem, so is there another way to do bandwidth throttling other than getting another computer and installing IPCop?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 07:23   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I'm guessing that that you are using AT&T U-Verse or something like it since they use IPTV, or Internet TV to show the cable. The problem with these built in modem wireless routers is that they give you less control and not possible to modify the firmware. QoS can be very difficult since there is probably no option, so you are pretty much limited on options...

If you are using AT&T U-Verse, how does the Cable TV connects? Does the set top box connects directly to the router or not. If not, that may be a problem and in this case, it's probably not possible to control the bandwidth on the connection.
Old 2010-04-02, 08:08   Link #3
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I'm guessing that that you are using AT&T U-Verse or something like it since they use IPTV, or Internet TV to show the cable. The problem with these built in modem wireless routers is that they give you less control and not possible to modify the firmware. QoS can be very difficult since there is probably no option, so you are pretty much limited on options...

If you are using AT&T U-Verse, how does the Cable TV connects? Does the set top box connects directly to the router or not. If not, that may be a problem and in this case, it's probably not possible to control the bandwidth on the connection.
I am not in US lol, I am in Singapore. I am using the Singtel Mio. Heck accessing onemanga and playing L4D2 already gave me so many headaches, so I was thinking if there is an alternate firmware which I can use.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-02, 08:38   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I am not in US lol, I am in Singapore. I am using the Singtel Mio. Heck accessing onemanga and playing L4D2 already gave me so many headaches, so I was thinking if there is an alternate firmware which I can use.
Sorry, I didn't realize... Anyways, from what I read, is the set top box hooked to a gateway or a phone line? Are they hooked by a Ethernet Cable? If so, you can obtain another router, hook the modem to the router and then hook the set top boxes or connect them through Wireless.

Typically, service providers router/modem combo are very limited on the options and I wouldn't think there would be a hacked firmware of some sort since it would probably violate the terms of service and even might be illegal (there was some cases where hackers of cable modems were arrested for illegally hacking cable modems, but it depends on the country you live in).
Old 2010-04-02, 13:07   Link #5
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize... Anyways, from what I read, is the set top box hooked to a gateway or a phone line? Are they hooked by a Ethernet Cable? If so, you can obtain another router, hook the modem to the router and then hook the set top boxes or connect them through Wireless.

Typically, service providers router/modem combo are very limited on the options and I wouldn't think there would be a hacked firmware of some sort since it would probably violate the terms of service and even might be illegal (there was some cases where hackers of cable modems were arrested for illegally hacking cable modems, but it depends on the country you live in).
The firmware doesn't come with any contract though. Firmware, like software, can be DL-ed online and are under public license, so like the PSP, they can't fault you for having CFW.

The set top box is hooked to a phone line on one end, and an Ethernet cable to my PC on the other. I tried hooking it to another router : apparently 2Wire modems do not allow that function.

Old 2010-04-02, 21:10   Link #6
LynnieS

How about getting a second account that is entirely separate from the first instead, or are you only allowed to have one connection point into your house for that building? Or going with a different service provider?

Looking at this from another direction, if you manage to "force" an equal sharing (computer use = 50% and streaming video = 50% of the bandwidth), I would imagine that the family members watching the video would have lag issues instead. Odds are very good that they won't be happy one bit, and they will take it out on either (1) the service provider or (2) the person who forced the equal sharing.

Should there be something in the service contract that allows the provider to send all types of data down the same pipe, any dispute with the provider will not get anywhere. Even if not, there is likely nothing that can be done - short of maybe giving you a discount on a wider pipe, which will cost more, I'd guess. I don't see the provider re-splitting data by type for just one household...

If above both items are right, I can see a few arguments within your household in the future. Fairness is great... but when it comes to family, esp. when everyone is still living in the same household, peace is better, IMHO. Even if you are paying both the rent/mortgage and all of the household costs yourself, dealing with this kind of conflict can be very painful.

If you crack the provider's hardware, esp. if you are just renting it, as well somehow, that could be a whole other can of worms you are opening up as well.

Assuming that your internet use is a necessity - i.e., for school or work - see if your family (should they not be willing to limit their film watching) will share the costs of getting a second connection just for your use. Otherwise, some kind of a share schedule might be the other and only solution, IMHO.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote