AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-07-14, 12:15   Link #61
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Finally got around to watching ep 15. I'm really liking the new OP song, and it looks like the second half will revolve around Ginji based on the OP (and he has a long hair form!). But I really hope Odanna and Tenjin-ya will make appearances. (*cough*IwannaseeOdanna*cough*)

After seeing Orio-ya's hostility towards Aoi, her treatment at Tenjin-ya when she first arrived was so much tamer and civil! It's such a big contrast between how the two Inns are run. No wonder Ginji prefers to work for Odanna at Tenjin-ya.

Now I'm curious what promise Ginji made to Odanna before he left...and what task he has to do back at Orio-ya.

...although I wish they would have used a different premise instead of rehashing the situation with Matsuba as the catalyst like at Tenjin-ya at the beginning.

Edit: YEASSSHH!! I finally got to hear the full song to Negai Hanna by Odanna-sama!!!

[/TH][/TR][/table]

Last edited by PreSage; 2018-07-14 at 20:38.
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-14, 14:17   Link #62
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
...although I wish they would have used a different premise instead of rehashing the situation with Matsuba as the catalyst like at Tenjin-ya at the beginning.
Deja vu all over again was my reaction. I was disappointed.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-16, 20:48   Link #63
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Deja vu all over again was my reaction. I was disappointed.
Whelp, my disappointment was appeased in ep 16 with Odanna fanservice.

I figured he'd be the type of guy who'd find a way to infiltrate and protect his ogre bride, but I didn't think he'd disguise himself as a fish peddler and be stationed there 24/7. It's a refreshing look for Odanna-sama. One thing I find interesting about his character is how calm and collected he can be. Even after seeing Aoi get harrassed and injured like she is, he doesn't go on a rampage like most typical MC in anime - and maybe because he's like that that he's also very clever and tactical.

The scene with the Tenjin-ya crew was touching! Such a contrast to the employees of Oriyo-ya

...and I totally love Kai and Mei...and their fist bump..with a "Yay". So cute!

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2018-07-17, 01:23   Link #64
RDNexus

Aoi managed to conquer everyone at Tenjin-ya, hence why the story switched to Oriyo-ya.
And it's gonna be rinse and repeat, one Oriyo-ya asshole at the time
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-17, 08:19   Link #65
LKK

Quote:
...and I totally love Kai and Mei...and their fist bump..with a "Yay". So cute!
I don't care for the twins. Their sing-song speaking style irritated me too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Aoi managed to conquer everyone at Tenjin-ya, hence why the story switched to Oriyo-ya.
And it's gonna be rinse and repeat, one Oriyo-ya asshole at the time
No offense intended, but I strongly hope you're wrong. (And I fear you're not. )

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2018-07-17, 09:39   Link #66
RDNexus

Not offended at all, let us wait and see...
Old 2018-07-18, 00:15   Link #67
iko_uwais

Been reading the author's other series, Ayakashi Oniyome Nikki (Ayakashi Demon Bride Diary), both are really awesome series. Turns out both series are connected, with many characters sharing connections. The hero and heroine of Oniyome Nikki are the reincarnation of the Great Youkai Shuten Douji and his wife, Ibara Hime AKA Ibaraki Douji.

Spoiler for Ayakashi Oniyome Nikki (Ayakashi Demon Bride Diary) manga & a little of Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi:

Last edited by iko_uwais; 2018-07-20 at 03:53. Reason: added spoiler tag
iko_uwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-30, 20:15   Link #68
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Wow, didn't realize Matsuba was such a bad husband. I felt sorry for his wife, even though he now regrets it - though it's too late.

In the first episode, I had thought Odanna would become a typical tsundere type character but turns out he's a lot easier going then initially portrayed. Not the typical male MC in these types of stories. I like it.

And we get Hatori's character song. It's nice. One thing that makes me curious is why we didn't get a character song for Oryo? Isn't she considered as part of the main cast?

...and so Odanna finally got tamed by Aoi! (...and didn't Aoi just suggested that she didn't mind having Odanna be a part of her family???? Hohoho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iko_uwais View Post
Been reading the author's other series, Ayakashi Oniyome Nikki (Ayakashi Demon Bride Diary), both are really awesome series. Turns out both series are connected, with many characters sharing connections. The hero and heroine of Oniyome Nikki are the reincarnation of the Great Youkai Shuten Douji and his wife, Ibara Hime AKA Ibaraki Douji.

Spoiler for Ayakashi Oniyome Nikki (Ayakashi Demon Bride Diary) manga & a little of Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi:
That's interesting. Would love to see the crossover. So do all Ayakashi get reborn as human? I wonder if the opposite is true as well?

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2018-07-31, 18:12   Link #69
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Odanna so cute this episode. And, yes it looks like Aoi is finally starting to come around. Excellent.

I agree with you PreSage it's nice to have an MC who's open and honest about his feelings and intentions. If Aoi doesn't want him, can I have him?!

Matsuba being a jerk husband doesn't really surprise me. Tengu are often portrayed as arrogant, prideful, and quick to anger. Akadama from The Eccentric Family was much the same.
Old 2018-08-08, 18:54   Link #70
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Nice episode with Aoi meeting up with Ginji. His fox form is beautiful! I get a Princess Mononoke vibe from his design.

Aoi really cares for him, and some people are saying she may be in love with him but I don't get that feeling from watching them interact. She really does care for Ginji but more like...a brother?

I've noticed with Odanna is that he supports her from behind. He doesn't blatantly show his actions to her, but now that Aoi is spending more time with him, she is starting to realize this.

Odanna's last line really stole the show from Ginji, at least for me. Tell me where I can find a man like that in real life!

I discovered that the light novel is getting published in English and set to be released in January 2019 (vol 1) and March (vol 2). I read from a post on another site that Odanna's past isn't begin to be revealed until vol 8 (and story-wise gets better at that point to)...but it doesn't look like the anime will reach that point. I may, for the first time, buy the light novel just to know about Odanna's past. But I hate how animes always stop just when the original storyline starts to really pick-up...*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
If Aoi doesn't want him, can I have him?!
Looks like you and I will have to do rocks-papers-scissors for him!

Seriously, the series overall is average but for some reason Odanna's character is the reason I'm still watching the show. I just love his interaction with Aoi.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2018-08-09, 02:18   Link #71
iko_uwais

Quote:

I discovered that the light novel is getting published in English and set to be released in January 2019 (vol 1) and March (vol 2). I read from a post on another site that Odanna's past isn't begin to be revealed until vol 8 (and story-wise gets better at that point to)...but it doesn't look like the anime will reach that point. I may, for the first time, buy the light novel just to know about Odanna's past. But I hate how animes always stop just when the original storyline starts to really pick-up...*sigh*
correct if I'm wrong, but is it the novel or the manga that's getting translated? Because i've search on amazon and wako ioka's name is written there, and Ioka-sensei is the illustrator for the manga.

You know, seeing all this awesome untranslated novels, really makes me regret for not taking my Japanese study seriously during junior high. Now, I barely have any time to do so thanks to work and other stuff.
iko_uwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-09, 08:58   Link #72
LKK

Quote:
correct if I'm wrong, but is it the novel or the manga that's getting translated? Because i've search on amazon and wako ioka's name is written there, and Ioka-sensei is the illustrator for the manga.
You're right. Viz is releasing the manga. (Link to Viz Press Release.)

Old 2018-08-09, 09:50   Link #73
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:

You know, seeing all this awesome untranslated novels, really makes me regret for not taking my Japanese study seriously during junior high. Now, I barely have any time to do so thanks to work and other stuff.
Quote:
You're right. Viz is releasing the manga. (Link to Viz Press Release.)
The novel is getting a release as well, also by Viz, but it shows up in bookstores such as the Canadian chain Chapters (https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...3738-item.html) and Amazon.

EDIT:: I FAIL! My mistake, it's actually the manga that's being advertised and not the novel...arggh....*cries*...and here I was hopeful. *cries some more*

I'd rather get the novel because the art for the manga is a bit of a disappointment; wish they'd stick to the anime art style or at least the novel's art style. Plus, manga's take forever to come out with too many parts.

I agree that some novels have pretty interesting story that don't get translated and Japanese illiterate beings like us are left stranded with whatever morsel the anime feeds us.

EDIT2: Just found someone translating the novels...yay! Hopefully they'll keep at it and translate until the very end.

[/TH][/TR][/table]

Last edited by PreSage; 2018-08-10 at 01:27.
Old 2018-08-13, 20:01   Link #74
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Just watched ep20....I need season 2..3...whatever is next...for this series. Things are beginning to pick up and I hear things only get better from novel 6 onward but the anime will stop at novel 5....arggh!!!

Seriously, husbands-to-be should watch Odanna as a good example! (minus the abduction part...lol).

Whatever is the opinion about the show, I have to say the music in this series is really good! Been enjoying almost every single song I've heard...and that interlude Aoi sang during the almost-kissing scene was just perfect.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2018-08-13, 21:10   Link #75
Dawnstorm

They really outdid themselves with that scene. I'm not much of a romantic, and while I'm okay with our oni husband, I don't feel particularly strongly aobut him one way or another, but boy that scene! It's hard not to be affected, even for me.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-14, 02:00   Link #76
RDNexus

Honestly, this episode felt a bit rushed to me...
Old 2018-08-14, 09:30   Link #77
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
That almost kissing scene was the best drawn scene in the anime so far. Clearly they knew where to spend the budget.
Old 2018-09-25, 00:45   Link #78
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Ah, this series ended. I'm sad; I actually liked it. I know the animation was terrible at times and the story was so-so but for some reason I really enjoyed it. Will miss this and hoping there will be a second season (though I doubt it).

Would be nice if they put in some good action...wanna see those Ayakashi powers fly (especially Raiju vs Odanna at the end)!

Will really miss listening to the songs...this series produced some really good songs; it's rare for me to actually like almost all that I heard in one series.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2018-09-25, 09:18   Link #79
LKK

I have a question for those who can understand spoken Japanese. CR's translation during Raiju and Odanna's conversation had Raiju calling Odanna ogre god. Is "god" an accurate translation of what was said? Does this mean that Odanna is more than just an ordinary oni?

I'm going to miss this series. I will definitely pick up the manga when Viz starts releasing it. (2019, I think.) I'd much rather have the light novel, but beggars can't be choosers.

Old 2018-09-25, 18:37   Link #80
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I have a question for those who can understand spoken Japanese. CR's translation during Raiju and Odanna's conversation had Raiju calling Odanna ogre god. Is "god" an accurate translation of what was said? Does this mean that Odanna is more than just an ordinary oni?
Raiju referred to Odanna as "kijin", ie, 鬼神, which literally means the "ghost spirit". 鬼 is the kanji for "oni", or ogre in Japanese (in Chinese it literally means "ghost" or "monster"), while 神 as a standalone kanji can mean "kami" or, literally, "god".

In other words, "kijin" can also mean the "monster god" (or, more accurately, "godly powerful monster"). So, "ogre god" is not necessarily a wrong translation, but merely one that can be confusing to Western audiences not familiar with what some cultures mean when they talk about "gods", ie, entities that are much more powerful than normal mortals, and are not necessarily divine.

It's worth noting that "Odanna" is also more of a title rather than an actual personal name. It would be written as お旦那 in Japanese, which literally means, the "Great Master of the House". (Incidentally "husband" is a homonym for "danna"; so it can be amusing to have Aoi call him Odanna, because it can be taken to mean "my Lord Husband". )

Kakuriyo has been one of my favourite series this year, and I've found it perplexing that it didn't draw a larger following. For some reason, it felt nostalgic watching the show. It reminded me, on the one hand, of Natsume Youjinchou, partly because it involves a variety of spirits that appear mean and dangerous at first, but which almost all turn to be kind and misunderstood. Aoi's relationship with her late grandfather also reminded me strongly of Natsume's own adventures while dealing with his grandmother's legacy.

But beyond that, there was also something about Kakuriyo that reminded me heavily of the Taiwanese romance dramas I watched while growing up, especially the show's end themes, many of which were very similar to old-fashioned Taiwanese love ballads.

More than once, while watching Kakuriyo, I couldn't help but feel that this is actually a story that would work very well with a live-action adaptation. Perhaps not in Japan — J-dramas tend to be over-acted, and I don't usually find them enjoyable — but in Taiwan!

I'll greatly miss this show, and I do hope there will eventually be a second, or even a third, season, to properly resolve the mystery behind why Aoi was first abandoned by her mother, and then "saved" by an ayakashi.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote