AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-01-19, 07:26   Link #1
Sesshoumaru
Demon of the west

Cowboy Bebop movie

You're supposed to watch the Cowboy Bebop movie between ep 25 and 26, right?
Sesshoumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 08:44   Link #2
Tboz

I heard its between episode 22 and 23.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 14:21   Link #3
daliinn

they explain when it takes place in the commentary
daliinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 22:06   Link #4
Amuse
BECK

Cowboy Bebop

Ok, I just bought Cowboy Bebop: The Movie for my psp, but I've never watched Cowboy Bebop anime before. Is it ok to watch the movie without watching the animes? btw, how many episodes were there for the anime?
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 22:31   Link #5
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

The movie takes place between eps 23 and 24 of the series if I'm not mistaken...Now you can watch the movie first, but if you watch the series you'll have a much better understanding of the character dynamics...I, personally (having seen both the series and movie) would watch the series first (Dang why haven't you seen this series yet? It's generally looked upon as one of the greatest animes of all-time)...Now you shoulda made this thread before you bought the movie and I woulda said get the PSP series first...But since you already bought it I guess watching wouldn't be too bad...you can always watch it again after you see the series and get things you didn't get the first time...
Old 2006-02-03, 22:39   Link #6
Chronissz

I say watch it, theres no plot spoilers or anything, just another story in the CB universe. It will definitly let you know whether or not you will enjoy the anime (Dont know how anyone could not enjoy it though)

Anime is 26 episodes.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 14:31   Link #7
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
That's -not- the one. That's a bootleg.

The only "Perfect Sessions" box was a large box that included SIX dvds and the first soundtrack. It's now out of print and any copies will cost you at least $250 or more.

There is a new release out now that has all episodes re-encoded and 5.1 audio for all 26 episodes.

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=673580
http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=681150
etc.

Last edited by microlith; 2006-02-04 at 14:44.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 14:44   Link #8
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

The new episodes only has new 5.1 audio. The video still looks like ass (although better than bootlegs, I suppose).
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 12:42   Link #9
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I think it's best to let this thread come to life again. Some of us were having a mini-debate on a suggestion thread - let me just tell that it's among the best movies I've seen - of all time.

We should continue our convo here, jedinat and wingdarkness.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 23:55   Link #10
TerryMathews

See, that's the opposite feeling I have for it - to me it was a disappointment.

In my eyes, Knockin' on Heaven's Door is like a Star Trek The Next Generation movie (and I mean this is a not-insulting way). Similar storyline, same characters, same talent, bigger budget, better effects. But when you boil it down, it's a longer episode. You can only stretch something so far before it's too long and drawn out.

KOHD would've been a much better experience if it were in the 45-60 minute range, even though it wouldn't technically have qualified as a movie anymore. The pacing was just too slow and it lost that frantic 'thing' that made Cowboy Bebop so wonderful.

Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars - now there's the way to turn a TV show into a movie (although technically, it's a miniseries). It's not slower, it's faster. Once you get to the end of a series like that, I think it's safe to make two assumptions:
1) The viewers you've got have likely seen the majority of the series and are comfortable with the characters, plots, devices, timeline, etc.
2) You're not going to draw in new viewers with a continuation movie.

There's nothing wrong with making an episode in a long format - just keep in mind what it is you're making.
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 00:30   Link #11
rooboy
Umeboshi!

My main complaint with the Cowboy Bebop movie is that it's a two hour long episode of Cowboy Bebop that's paced incorrectly for a movie (though normally for an episode of the series). I wish they had cut some from the movie and just admitted that it was a long episode. As it is this is twice as long as both of the two part episodes, and yet, not a lot more seems happens.

It doesn't help that the movie doesn't really play to Watanabe's strengths. Unfortunately because the story of Bebop was done, there's not a lot of work done in the movie defining character relationships. At least, not ones that weren't alread done. Since interpersonal dynamics between vivid (not complex, the two words mean different things) characters is where Watanabe's work surpasses pretty much everything else, it's an odd duck to watch.

And all of this shouldn't be taken to mean I don't like the movie because I do. However, whereas the rest of Cowboy Bebop is a joy to watch, the movie can be a bit of a chore sometimes.

I sincerely hope you meant anime movies, not just movies. Otherwise, you need to get out more.
Old 2006-06-17, 01:33   Link #12
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Just a minor correction, roo. It's more or less one hour and forty-five minutes.

For one, though, I liked the slower pace of the movie. It gave me a wonderful insight to Vincent Volaju. I also felt the revelation of the solutions to the mysteries enshrouding that movie was well-paced. Of course, that's a matter of opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
[...] there's not a lot of work done in the movie defining character relationships. At least, not ones that weren't alread done.
I agree. Vincent Volaju and Electra were pretty much dynamic characters, and Vincent was among the villains welcome to me, anime movie or series. How he is technically a villain was just uniquely made, IMO. You could say that although it didn't define more about the character relationships among the crew of Cowboy Bebop, it defined an individual of it, namely Spike, well. What he and Electra were talking about while in the cell, and what was exposed with the talk of hexerei with that Indian, was, I think, very vital to how he acted in The Real Folk Blues. What made me love it more was the subtle nuance it had - it's like you can't grasp what exactly changed within him, you just know it's there.
Old 2006-06-17, 10:52   Link #13
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Which is nice, except that's not a side of Spike we haven't seen before. Again, the movie adds nothing to the series. You don't receive any deep insight into Spike that you didn't already get from the show.

And regardless of your feeling on the pace of the movie, if I have to wake my wife up twice in the middle of it (despite the fact that Cowboy Bebop is either her first or second favorite series of all time), it has a pacing problem. You may be more tolerant to the problem, it may not affect you at all. That does not mean that the pacing is fine however.
And still:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I sincerely hope you meant anime movies, not just movies. Otherwise, you need to get out more.
Old 2006-06-17, 10:58   Link #14
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I do need to get out more. But watching movies is too expensive when done inside the cinema, and too heavy a burden on the HD ... you know ...
Old 2007-09-16, 23:00   Link #15
Shobida

Cowboy Bebop Order?

i was wondering where the cowboy bebop movie is supposed to take place durring the series i bought the series and movie and wana watch them in order.
Shobida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-16, 23:03   Link #16
rooboy
Umeboshi!

It takes place after the episode about the cult (23), but before the last three episodes.
Old 2007-09-16, 23:34   Link #17
Shobida

alright thank you
Shobida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 03:59   Link #18
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae

Guess I'm a bit late, but here's the credits page that someone did with "Change the World" by Eric Clapton. Really good IMO.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 04:53   Link #19
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post

Guess I'm a bit late, but here's the credits page that someone did with "Change the World" by Eric Clapton. Really good IMO.
If its about Cowboy Bebop, you are never to late.

Great video.

I love the Cowboy Bebop movie.
Old 2008-10-19, 17:49   Link #20
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Yep. Thanks, mate.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote