AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-05, 23:01   Link #161
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Volume 17 is out!!
...and wraps up the story pretty nicely, IMHO.

Old 2007-10-08, 22:33   Link #162
mdauben

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Volume 17 is out!!
In anticipation, I went back and re-read the other 16 volumes over the last couple week. I just picked up my copy on the way home today, and after dinner sat down and read the whole thing. Twice.

I'm a little sad it's actually over now. Ai Yori Aoshi is one of my favorite anime/manga, and was actually the first manga I started reading. Still, its very nice to finally get the ending of the story, after wanting to know for so long what happened after the end of the anime.

Spoiler for Vol 17:

Oh, and one more thing...
Spoiler for End of Vol 17:
Old 2007-10-09, 00:14   Link #163
Jiji
*Scanlator

A couple of months ago, I put vol 17 on an amazon order with some other stuff that isn't going to be available until the end of this month. At the time I did that, I thought it'd be okay, I could live with it. But now seeing you guys talking about it, I'm just DYING here, and I won't get mine until the first few days of Nov.! T_T

Not that it matters, much. I already own the Japanese versions and pretty much know what happens. I wanted to say again a bit of trivia I mentioned pages ago in this thread about the very last pages:
Spoiler:

Now that it's finally done, the hunger for MOAR makes me wonder what Kou-sensei is doing for his next project?
Old 2007-10-09, 03:43   Link #164
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I suppose I should amble over to B&N and snap it up...... urk, I've spent a lot of money on anime/manga this week.
Old 2007-10-09, 07:53   Link #165
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
Spoiler:
So that's what that is! I noticed it when I read the manga, but I didn't realize the significance of it. Good work, Kaoru!
Old 2007-10-09, 09:20   Link #166
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Now that it's finally done, the hunger for MOAR makes me wonder what Kou-sensei is doing for his next project?
I've been wondering this for a while as well. I read somewhere that he was going to have a one-shot, and then nothing since then.
Old 2007-10-09, 10:37   Link #167
mdauben

Quote:
Good questions. I'm supprised we have not heard anything yet, given that the Japanese run of Ai Yori Aoshi ended over a year ago now.

Checking in wiki, the entry for Kou-sensei says:

Quote:
His current work is Umi no Misaki, serialized in Young Animal Magazine starting 5th issue of 2007.
I can't find much of any informtion on the series, however, other than this picture:

If it became available in english (either through scanlations or licencing) I would pick it up in a second, just based on how much I liked Ai Yori Aoshi.
Old 2007-10-09, 21:12   Link #168
Jiji
*Scanlator

Snooping around on the Young Animal site, I found out that the first tankoubon has been released of this series.

海の御先
ウミノミサキ
■出版社: 白泉社
■著者名: 文月晃
■ISBNコード: 9784592144816
■判型/頁 : B6判
■定価: 530円(税込)
■発売日: 2007/09/28

I'll post again if I find out more. ^_^
Old 2007-10-10, 02:35   Link #169
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
The B&N in my town finally stocked it. Why this one was shrink-wrapped when some of the others in the series, and some other series entirely were not, I do not know.

Spoiler:

That said, I believe it wraps up the story quite nicely, and I liked how the meaning of the title was presented in chapter 139. Touching. ^^

Looking back, it has been quite a few years since I started collecting this series, and it's been about $170 in total for all of it. This only helps remind me that time flys by rather quickly and that I spend quite a bit on my hobbies. I say it's worth it though - this is definitely one of my favorite series. I hope to see more of Kou Fumizuki's work in the future, so I'm eager to see a license or scanlation of Umi no Misaki in the future.

And thus, another series is completed on my wall of manga. Good times.
Old 2007-10-10, 08:30   Link #170
mdauben

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
Why this one was shrink-wrapped when some of the others in the series, and some other series entirely were not, I do not know.
Spoiler for Shrinkwraped?:
Or maybe it was just to discourage grazing by the "manga cows"?

Spoiler:

That was pretty much my only complaint. The way the rest of the book wrapped up the overall story was just fine with me, but the resolution to that particular story arc was a bit disappointing. I was just expecting a more exciting climax there.

Spoiler for Aoi's Father:

Spoiler:

Hehe! Yeah, I liked that too. A nice way to mark the end of the harem.
Old 2007-10-10, 11:47   Link #171
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Particularly the Chika "attack" ... full on as usual.

Anyway... simple nudity doesn't/shouldn't evoke shrinkwrap (especially in a nonsexual context).
Spoiler for for those who haven't read it yet:

The resolution of the family dilemma seemed "too easy"? And I suspect there were some nuances lost in translation concerning Aoi's father.

The only real complaints I had was that I read the whole thing in about 10 minutes. There was actually very little dialog and the thread closures seemed a bit pedantic.
I was disappointed in the artwork for some of the last scenes (e.g. Chika's friends got sketched rather than drawn).

The epilog was pretty nice with a lot of little hints of "life goes on" and some things are never quite resolved.

This is probably the longest duration manga read I've encountered in my adventures with manga (most of the other series were near completion so I just snapped them up). However, now I have several obviously-going-to-be-long-run manga in progress. AYA was the first though. Love Hina was the first long manga series I read but it was mostly done when I joined in.
Old 2007-10-11, 16:41   Link #172
mdauben

Quote:
Snooping around on the Young Animal site, I found out that the first tankoubon has been released of this series.
I guess my real question would be, does anyone know what this series is about? I would guess that it's probably another romantic comedy, but what is the basic story?
Old 2007-10-11, 18:46   Link #173
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I guess my real question would be, does anyone know what this series is about? I would guess that it's probably another romantic comedy, but what is the basic story?
snooping further produced this:

東京から遠く離れた南海の孤島に一人で来た少年、後藤凪はそこで可憐な少女、鳴海雫に出会う。彼女はこの島 に伝わる「龍神伝説」を彼に話したが、その伝説は二人の運命を大きく変えるものだった…。純愛漫画の傑作『 藍より青し』の文月晃が贈る、南の島での新たな恋愛物語の始まりです。 2007年9月刊。

A man comes alone to the solitary islands of the south, from Tokyo. There Gatou meets an innocent sweet girl; Narumi Rei. The girl has a role on that island as the means of handing down the "Folklore of the Dragon King", as she tells him, however, this folklore would forever change the two's fate on a grand scale...
This is a masterpiece of a manga of pure love, created by Fumuzuki Kou, creator of "Aoi Yori Aoshi". The fresh new love story about the island of the south, coming Sept 2007.

For the interested, both my recent posts came from here:
http://www.s-book.com/plsql/com2_det...=9784592144816

Last edited by Jiji; 2007-10-11 at 19:29.
Old 2007-10-30, 08:47   Link #174
Tri-ring

One thing I like to clarify concerning Kaoru's occupation.
Spoiler for Kaoru's occupation:

As for synopsis for Umi no Misaki, I posted here.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...9&postcount=96
Old 2007-10-30, 09:28   Link #175
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
As for synopsis for Umi no Misaki, I posted here.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...9&postcount=96
very interesting and defenitly something worth checking out.
Old 2007-10-30, 11:28   Link #176
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
very interesting and defenitly something worth checking out.
If you want to know more here is the overview.
Spoiler for Overview of Volume 1:
Old 2007-10-30, 12:54   Link #177
UPR

Quote:
If you want to know more here is the overview.
Spoiler for Overview of Volume 1:
well it looks good. I hope the author keeps it light-hearted like he did with Ai Yori Aoshi.

Spoiler for part of I did not like:
Old 2007-10-31, 09:59   Link #178
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
One thing I like to clarify concerning Kaoru's occupation.
Spoiler for Kaoru's occupation:
After looking at the page for Japan's law association, I am forced to admit that Tri-ring might be right. It's hard to tell from the drawing, but it doesn't look definitely like a chrysanthemum. Either way, Kaoru is doing okay for himself and his family.

I agree with Vexx when he said that there were probably nuances in Aoi's interaction with/rebellion against her Father that were lost in translation (and more to the point, "localiziation" that TP does). I think the anime might have captured the formality and nuance a *little* better in those last scenes.

I think that when you consider the audience for this manga in Young Animal, a disapproving father-in-law is probably a fairly familiar trope to the readers, at least a portion of them, which is why there's no tied-up happy ending so far as Kaoru and Sakuraba-sama are concerned. Still, the more I think about it, the more I think that the ending is one of the few things the anime did better than the manga.

Umi no Misaki: I guess I just can't get a feel for this one yet...maybe once someone (please, please oh please) scanlates it. :P
Old 2007-10-31, 12:43   Link #179
mdauben

Quote:
Either way, Kaoru is doing okay for himself and his family.
I think this was supposed to be shown by the apartment, too. Just judging from the illustrations, and from the way Tina was checking everything out, I got the impression that their furinishing were all high-end stuff, which would also argue he is doing okay financially.

Quote:
Still, the more I think about it, the more I think that the ending is one of the few things the anime did better than the manga.
I kind of agree with that sentiment. After all, Aoi's mother seemed to accept things fairly early one (judging by her reaction when she and Miyabi confronted Aoi at Kaoru's old apartment early in the series) so it seemed like Aoi and Kaoru were going to all these lengths to hide there relationship mainly to appease her father. The fact that they went through all that for literally years and in the end she still ended up estranged from her father kind of made all they went through pointless.
Old 2007-10-31, 15:39   Link #180
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, not entirely pointless ... Aoi finally decided that the charade and the consequences were just not worth it - particularly if her father had *anything* to do with the deceit engaged on her. It isn't stated but I think *I* would be suspicious of my father at this point. Aoi-dad doesn't seem to be willing to cross Aoi-mom directly though (despite her calibrated "submission" to his wishes) but such is the fun of a powerful family household.

Tags
harem, romance