AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-14, 22:00   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Psychological anime that has some shonen type action?

Is there any psychological anime that has shonen type action?
Old 2009-04-14, 22:28   Link #2
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Okay. l'll be the 'sucker' to mention the Higurashi no Naku Koro series first. Maybe you've seen it, maybe not. But. Higurashi no Naku Koroni Rei (latest season) has been airing for a few weeks now. lt is certainly psychological. l dunno 'bout the rest of everybody. l thought their was traces of action in it.

l strongly recommend Chaos Head. You could also try Loveless.
Old 2009-04-14, 23:08   Link #3
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Rab, I wouldn't call any of those action.

I absolutely suggest Soul Eater. It's a shounen action show through and through and has tons of psychological elements, with the characters' psyche often tying directly to their powers and one particular character grappling to keep himself sane.
Old 2009-04-14, 23:26   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Soul Eater is definitely a good choice, but it's super shonen and the psychological stuff is really just 1st base material......I'd go with Darker Than Black...The action and BGM soundtrack are awesome...Lots of psychological, mind-twisting revelations in this one, some would argue too much...It's basically a slice of life disguised as a pure action show, but it has comedy, heart, and terrific overall production quality...No need to get too deep into descriptions...People with powers fight this dude with tons of psychological issues...That's all you need^^...

If you're into the oldskool stuff Hunter x Hunter is classic shonen fighter..Plus there are about a handful of characters whose inner-demons and psychological issues take center stage (even during the heat of battles and encounters)...Excellent series, but once you get to the OVA's it kinda turns into a more badass Yugioh card series, so just be warned^^...The original oldskool animated series is legendary though....
Old 2009-04-14, 23:36   Link #5
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Soul Eater is probably the best example of a "shonen" psychological anime as the mindset of characters is heavily involved with the plot and character development.
Chaos Head - not my personal forte, but a pretty good mix of action and a heavy amount of pyschological elements.
Kaiji - This is pretty much nothing but a pyschological/action show that has a bit of an old school feel to it(at least in my opinion)
Gantz - A sci-fi like pyschological/action show. A good amount of Pyschological elements, but more dominated by the action elements. It's still a good mix none the less.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2009-04-14 at 23:54.
Old 2009-04-14, 23:47   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I wouldn't say Kaiji has pure shonen-like action (It does have a good deal of action though), but as far as psychological awesomeness, there's nothing close...This is probably the most hardcore human psychological despair story I've seen in years...It's brilliant and extremely underrated--Also hilarious when it's totally not intending to be...The character designs are totally fresh and unique if not off the wall...

It's about the underground world of hardcore gambling where you can pay off all your debts by winning a game or two, but these contestants have no idea what these games have in store for them (especially our lovable loser Kaiji)... I guarantee this show will f**k up your mind, your heart, and your soul...One of the most introspective and psychologically challenging animes ever for it's genre, just walk away once you win the game!!
Old 2009-04-14, 23:56   Link #7
qwertyuiopz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab View Post
Okay. l'll be the 'sucker' to mention the Higurashi no Naku Koro series first. Maybe you've seen it, maybe not. But. Higurashi no Naku Koroni Rei (latest season) has been airing for a few weeks now. lt is certainly psychological. l dunno 'bout the rest of everybody. l thought their was traces of action in it.

l strongly recommend Chaos Head. You could also try Loveless.
def. higurashi!
Old 2009-04-15, 00:13   Link #8
Fweakin

Neon Genesis Evangelion seems to be the most apt title to fit this description to me. Double ticks on both psychological and action.

Gunslinger Girl is another. Just try to get through the first few episodes.
Old 2009-04-15, 01:40   Link #9
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

darker than black, gantz, gunslinger girl, and kaiji are in NO way shounen, and even chaos head is no kids show. Almost all of these are seinen. Neong Genesis Evangelion on the other hand was definitely a good choice.

If you want to watch something currently airing, Pandora Hearts also seems pretty up your alley.
Old 2009-04-15, 08:56   Link #10
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
darker than black, gantz, gunslinger girl, and kaiji are in NO way shounen, and even chaos head is no kids show. Almost all of these are seinen. Neong Genesis Evangelion on the other hand was definitely a good choice.

If you want to watch something currently airing, Pandora Hearts also seems pretty up your alley.
He said shonen-type action, which means the action can be similar to something you would find in a shonen-fighter anime, so Darker Than Black does apply, but as I said earlier Kaiji really isn’t shonen, but it’s damn good, with psychological action up the ying-yang…
Old 2009-04-15, 11:01   Link #11
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Rab, I wouldn't call any of those action.

I absolutely suggest Soul Eater. It's a shounen action show through and through and has tons of psychological elements, with the characters' psyche often tying directly to their powers and one particular character grappling to keep himself sane.
Who knows. But l gave this a little thought and l think a prime example is the original series of Hokuto no Ken. l mean. After a nuclear explosion that nearly wipes out human kind. And the survivors of such a tragedy are left to survive were violence rains with a iron fist. Martial artists with practicality physiological problems are on the brink of 'losing the plot'.

Maybe the animation will put you off. But it's a must see for yer' criteria.
Closed Thread