AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-12-11, 20:21   Link #1
FireChick

Old Disney movies?

Does anyone remember any old Disney movies? Ones like Snow White, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Aladdin, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book, and all those? I kinda do. I watched Bambi and Aladdin once last week (I rented Bambi and I watched it 3 times during the week). I seemed to have been reliving my childhood. I grew to love Bambi again and I'm trying to find the DVD, but IT'S SO FLIPPING HARD TO FIND IN STORES!!! Anyway, do you all remember an old classic Disney movie? Say so!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 23:29   Link #2
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

OMG I was just thinking that theres no great Disney sing along movies anymore, just the other day. I love all the old Disney flicks, I grew up with them and still love them today!

If I had to say which is my favorite animated movie I'd have to go with The Lion King. Altho I'm a huge fan of Toy Story and bigger fan of the Studio G stuff, The Lion King will always be my favorite

other favs would be the other classics as you've said like Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Bambi, Hercules(really love this one) Snow White, Dumbo, Robin Hood, The Rescuers, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland and awhole lot moar!

I can usually find the ones that have been released on DVD pretty easily, and if I can't find it theres always Amazon
Old 2008-12-11, 23:30   Link #3
Sesshomaru22
Fanfic Writer
*Artist

I definitely remember old Disney movies. Especially The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, all the Aladdin movies, Snow White, Bambi, Alice In Wonderland, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty...etc. I used to watch them 24/7 when I was little. Just today I watched Cinderella III: A Twist in Time or whatever it was called. It was definitely a good movie.
Sesshomaru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 23:33   Link #4
AmaneMisa

Send a message via AIM to AmaneMisa Send a message via MSN to AmaneMisa Send a message via Yahoo to AmaneMisa
My all time favorite Disney movie I think is "The Little Mermaid" I like the old "Robin Hood" movie with the animals. Also, uhm-was "Anastasia" a Disney movie?
AmaneMisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 08:03   Link #5
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaneMisa View Post
Also, uhm-was "Anastasia" a Disney movie?
No, that was Fox. Or more exactly Don Bluth, the guy who was behind movies like The Land Before Time and such.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 08:20   Link #6
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Does anyone remember any old Disney movies? Ones like Snow White, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Aladdin, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book, and all those? I kinda do. I watched Bambi and Aladdin once last week (I rented Bambi and I watched it 3 times during the week). I seemed to have been reliving my childhood. I grew to love Bambi again and I'm trying to find the DVD, but IT'S SO FLIPPING HARD TO FIND IN STORES!!! Anyway, do you all remember an old classic Disney movie? Say so!
Ma mom is a fan of the old disney movies, so during all my childhood I often had the chance to watch those movies with my parents.

And so far, my favourite disney movies are Robin Hood (all time favourite ), Cinderella, Fantasia, and The Lion King. Edit: I forgot to add Sleeping Beauty :O

I am a fan
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 09:56   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
No, that was Fox. Or more exactly Don Bluth, the guy who was behind movies like The Land Before Time and such.
Bluth left Disney in 1979 and proceeded to make a number of well-known animated features like Secret of NIMH.

I watched Land Before Time many times with my daughter in her pre-school and elementary-school years and thought it to be an excellent film for children. Bluth had nothing to do with the crappy sequels to this movie, and it shows. They were purely an attempt to print money by Fox.

My favorite Disney films perhaps surprisingly come from the modern period:The Lion King and Aladdin, though I do appreciate the artistry in films like Snow White or Cinderella. I'm also a Fantasia fan.

I just wish Disney would go back to the practice of re-releasing their movies to theaters. They used to release every film on a seven-year rotation, but that practice came to an end after home video distribution became widespread. I'm still waiting to see Lion King in a theatrical release but fear I'll be dead before that happens.

Disney has started on a project to release all their films in Blu-Ray after careful reconstruction of the prints. The first release is Sleeping Beauty, which came out a few months ago. Snow White will appear in 2009.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-12-12 at 10:08.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 10:02   Link #8
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

There was a thread named "Your Favorite Disney Songs" a while back. Honestly, it brought back memories. I even went further and rewatched the Lion King. Boy did I miss a lot of stuff when I was still a child.

Ingonyama nengw' enamabala...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Bluth left Disney in 1979 and proceeded to make a number of well-known animated features like Secret of NIMH.
I suspect we have him to thank for propping up the survival of animated features throughout the dark days of the 1980's*. That, and slapping Disney in the face so hard that they regained their senses and give us the magnificent era of the Disney Renaissance. I think my undying love for musicals might have something to do with growing up in the 90's.

*off topic: oh dark alright. Did their moms not tell them they had really bad hairdo? And what's up with that particular drumbeat? And finally, Ronald Reagan?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 15:28   Link #9
Echoes

I've probably seen all of the classic Disney movies around a handful of times. As a kid, I just never tired of them. "They don't make'em like that anymore...."

It's hard to pick favorites when it's been at least 10 years since I saw any of them (though I too felt a lot of nostalgia listening to the old tunes in the Disney Song Thread), but I reckon Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and the original Fantasia are among them. I think Fantasia really sparked my childhood obsession with dinosaurs, and perhaps even some of my still active appreciation for classical music.
Old 2008-12-12, 16:34   Link #10
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

They are so much better than the crap Disney's spewing out today. I don't know when it startet.. but all that CGI-Crap (i have absolutely no clue how to describe that kind of movie) like finding nemo is so... crap.

Off all of the good old movies, Aladdin is my favourite.

Anastasia was a good film too, even though it wasn't from disney.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 17:22   Link #11
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just wish Disney would go back to the practice of re-releasing their movies to theaters. They used to release every film on a seven-year rotation, but that practice came to an end after home video distribution became widespread. I'm still waiting to see Lion King in a theatrical release but fear I'll be dead before that happens.
I don't think it necessarily came to an end since they're pretty much doing the same thing with the dvd's now aren't they?

Lol, I just finished checking amazon.com and they have the bambi movie on there...but there was also a little notation "This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer."

So i'm assuming Disney only puts out a certain amount of copies per film and that's it...no more after that...up until the time comes up again that they "reopen their vaults" and rereleases the movies again
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 20:55   Link #12
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

all of those bring back memories.

i love the Jungle Book. i practically grew up to that. i also really like Alice in Wonderland. i great movie. though now there are more meanings there, as to when you were a kid. i also love Dumbo and the Lion King.

i love the songs as well. they rocked. flatmates and i have Disney singstar on ps2, which is awasome. though it's very hard and they dont have Hakuna Matata which is one of my faves.
Old 2008-12-12, 21:20   Link #13
james0246

Pinocchio is still my favourite. This film was the first official Disney film (in my opinion), it took the prototype animation and storytelling used in Snow White, and the fantastical imagery of Fantasia (which was being made at the same time), and condensed the two aspects into what would become the standard Disney format for...well, ever. And then you top it all off with the Disney song. Of course I am talking about the enduring classic “When You Wish Upon a Star".
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 22:34   Link #14
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

ohhh something I found out today, Disney are making another 2D animation film called The Princess and the Frog

I'm glad they decided to go back to good old 2D animation as I find it alot more pleasing to watch than CGI. I hope this means we will see more 2D films from them in the future!

also I just notice they are making a Prince of Persia movie, did not know that.
Old 2009-01-05, 06:18   Link #15
cuteycindyhoney

"Robin hood" and "The Great Mouse Detective" are two of my favorites. I know it's technically not Disney, but I positively love "The Secret of NIMH"!
cuteycindyhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 06:49   Link #16
othera

All my childhood favorites where:
Bugs life
The land before time - Alltime fave as a kid <3<3
toy story
the little mermaid
and a bunch more >: Disney is so awsome
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 12:16   Link #17
ParasolPop

I still frequently listen to Disney soundtracks, actually.
My favorite Disney movies are Hercules, Mulan, Fantasia, and Basil; The Great Mouse Detective.
ParasolPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 14:12   Link #18
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
*looks next to her at her book closet still filled with about 15 tapes of Disney movies etc.*
hmm ..

I would say my favourite was The land before time though here it was called Platvoet en zijn vrienden AKA Littlefoot with his friends in Dutch, I was quite surprised to find that movie on my Boss his harddisc and watched it a couple months ago when I had to babysit hsi disc cause he was scared it would be stolen

another one I loved was 101 Dalmatians, I was quite young when I saw that film and me and my friend would pretend to be puppies from the movie and replay scenes by mimicking their voices

What I loved about Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast were the more darker tones, like the Ursula song in Mermaid and with B&B the opening when the tale of the Prince is told, the music used back then still is one of my favourite pieces of film music

And does anyone remember ferngully, I loved that one as well the Dutch dub was really one of the best things done and I love the songs in it, specially the one from Hexus and Batty

also I loved the movie We're back! A dinosaur movie, I rented it twice even as a kid though I couldn't understand English that very well at the time I loved the dinosaurs though I hardly remember what that movie was about
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 14:40   Link #19
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
And does anyone remember ferngully, I loved that one as well the Dutch dub was really one of the best things done and I love the songs in it, specially the one from Hexus and Batty
well since Ferngully isn't a Disney movie I didn't mention it before but this is one of the best non-Disney moives that I love

I sooo need to go dig out all these olds films
Old 2009-01-06, 15:24   Link #20
Frostbitten

I absolutely love all old Disney movies! *hugs her VHS tapes closer*

I hate all the 3D films Disney has made so far, except Dinosaurs and Toy Story. They are just... bleh.
Frostbitten is offline   Reply With Quote