AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 9 52.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 1 5.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 5.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-09-05, 03:10   Link #61
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
Ironically, all of this isn't making me resent Riko, but Chika instead..
A few guesses--

1. Chika is struggling to chase or surpass μ's, Riko is an underachieving musician, and You is an outstanding athlete. Chika finds it easier to confide in Riko due to empathizing with her more

2. Chika's been friends with You all her life. She doesn't want to burden her unnecessarily

3. The flashbacks imply Chika and You have never dealt with heavy duty problems, and You being straightforward to a fault doesn't help her in trying to get Chika to open up

1&3. The flashbacks imply Chika's always followed You around, but since Sunshine!! started it's been the other way around. You thinks Chika can come to rely on her when she needs to, but Chika inadvertently drifts from You as she and Riko grow closer

4. You hasn't really interacted with anyone else other than Chika, but Chika has been interacting the most with Riko; You and Riko have barely interacted with each other. It's two friendships between three people as opposed to three people with one friendship
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 06:38   Link #62
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

5. As the one who initiated the whole school idol group, Chika feels responsible that Riko gives up her dream for Chika's/Aquors sake and doesn't want her to regret it later. You feels that she is losing her spot as Chika's closest friend to Riko.

Whereas in reality Chika has absolutely no intent of "ditching" You but only wants the best for Riko.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 07:06   Link #63
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Because I was bored I made a comparison between the first five minutes of [FFF] and [HorribleSubs]:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And my friends make fun of me for not watching Horrible.
I had no idea FFF was subbing this. I've been doing a disservice to the series for 10 weeks.

At any rate, you should make fun of your friends for watching HorribleSubs over FFF. :P

Quote:
Ironically, all of this isn't making me resent Riko, but Chika instead..
Me: Dia
You: Ruby's head

Last edited by blakstealth; 2016-09-05 at 08:18.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 11:09   Link #64
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
You feels that she is losing her spot as Chika's closest friend to Riko.
If You is getting farther away from Chika, there's one person who'll understand her... That'll be Yoshi- I mean Yohane by the way!

Still, I wish Chika remained friends with You-chan.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 12:00   Link #65
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
4. You hasn't really interacted with anyone else other than Chika
Weirdly enough, a good number of Riko fans on SIT have complained about Riko having this issue. Well, neither of them is the case. I think all of the characters interact with each other, but they have a tendency to stick with their year group. Riko getting so much time with Chika has left You very little, but I can safely say that You has most certainly interacted with others, especially Ruby:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
You interacts with Riko as well, but she is the initiator.

After some thinking, it has to do more with Chika giving You the cold shoulder. Anytime You asks Chika something, start a conversation or whatever, Chika responds quickly and shortly, and You gets shut down. I don't think it's intentional, and like you said, You is being straightforward. But honestly, I don't care about intentions, I care about results. At this rate, You feels bad not because Chika doesn't need her, but because she's losing a friend.
What I'm saying, bluntly and perhaps harshly, is that Chika doesn't value You, part time member or friend. Defend Chika all you want, but from my perspective, if someone doesn't value you, then they're not worth the time.

Quote:
5. As the one who initiated the whole school idol group, Chika feels responsible that Riko gives up her dream for Chika's/Aquors sake and doesn't want her to regret it later. You feels that she is losing her spot as Chika's closest friend to Riko.
Funny how that's exactly what You did. Time for that swimming scholarship and "you don't know what you've got until you lose it", I guess.
SleepingTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 12:13   Link #66
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Still, I wish Chika remained friends with You-chan.
Reading that you'd think that Chika cut her ties with You when in fact that's not the case at all. All that has happened so far is that Chika spent some time with Riko and You feels that Chika is drifting apart from her. We don't even know if that is a justified feeling or not.

Whatever the case may be, I REALLY hope she doesn't bottle it up inside and just talks to Chika about it. There was a lot of unnecessary drama with the 3rd years and we don't want to go through that again.
Old 2016-09-05, 12:40   Link #67
Ulin

There will be drama... Chika has gained some points for being so straight forward with the 3rd years and so, but the way she's forgotten about You who, supposedly has been her best friend for years is a bit...I don't know, but I don't really like it but I guess we will get the issue setlled in no time, since every episode we got some shot of a sad You

And I don't blame Riko really, she's the new girl and she has really made friends with Chika. It is not that she doesn't care about You, but, for her, it is not the same. It is Chika's job to merge her long friendship with the new one, or at least, trying, and she is not doing a good job imho
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 13:09   Link #68
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulin View Post
And I don't blame Riko really, she's the new girl and she has really made friends with Chika. It is not that she doesn't care about You, but, for her, it is not the same. It is Chika's job to merge her long friendship with the new one, or at least, trying, and she is not doing a good job imho
I don't blame Riko either. I don't expect anything from her that she hasn't already done. She's been an excellent friend to Chika, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that she's keep Aqours from failing by making sure Chika doesn't slack off or crumble under the pressure of being leader.
Perhaps it's both You's and Chika's fault that their friendship has come to this, but You not speaking her feelings has less to do with her personality (as I think there's an agreement here that's she's straightforward) and more to do with Chika not giving her the opportunity to.
Old 2016-09-05, 13:46   Link #69
Ulin

I think the key is that there's been at least two times where Chika has been struggling with something and You has tried to speak to her about it (after the 0 and during this episode as well) and Chika told her that everything is alright, but open up to Riko instead. That, after being friends for so much time, has to sting
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 14:57   Link #70
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I have a particular interpretation of Chika's character that I've been thinking a lot about, and I'm gradually growing more confident on it, but I'm still not sure if a series like Love Live is going to go there. Because it's maybe a little dark for this show, and maybe a little heavy on the serious life drama side (think of anime shows like Shigatsu and AnoHana).

I might fully develop this character interpretation later, on the Aqours character thread, but I'd maybe like to get more evidence for it before I do.

Anyway, here's the short version of how my Chika interpretation would relate to Chika and You: Chika and You are actually very different people. You is not fully aware of this, if she's aware of it at all. Chika is aware of it, and she knows You likes Genki Girl!Chika so Chika doesn't want to risk disappointing You by letting You really see Chika's softer and more insecure side.

At the same time, Chika has made a deep connection with Riko, and Riko knows the real Chika. So there's a great comfort there for Chika. Chika feels like she can safely show her softer and more insecure side to Riko. I suspect that there's total openness between Chika and Riko that's very liberating for both girls.

You is a very straightforward, and very open person. I would probably call You a mild extrovert. There's nothing wrong with any of this. In fact, You seems to be a good person and a very good friend. But because You is the way she is, there can be certain boundaries between her and more introverted/insecure people... like I suspect that Chika is.

So I think we should try to be understanding of Chika here. I'll probably delve more into my take on Chika's character later on.
Old 2016-09-05, 18:00   Link #71
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

I am being understanding of Chika. I am also being understanding of You.
If Chika is aware of You's differences from her, Chika would be aware of how much she is hurting You. And she's clearly not, unless you want to suggest she's aware of it and doesn't care..
I don't think Chika is aware at all. You is the one who is realizing the change because she is experiencing the negative effects of it. We get the cut scenes where we see You's lowkey horrified look of realization that she's becoming the third wheel. We get none of that from Chika. She hardly acknowledges You of the late.
I also don't think that the introvert/extrovert differences are why Chika and You have grown distant. Insecurities know no boundaries, and I am still extremely wary to call Chika an introvert because nothing in the anime has shown me she is one. Everyone in this show has two sides of them, one of them being their insecure side. Judging whether or not they are introverts or extroverts based on their insecurities seems hardly right to me.
I understand why Chika chooses to confide in Riko. I understand why in this episode she tells Riko to face her past and continue piano, because she cares about Riko. I don't understand why she hasn't stopped for a second and thought about You, ever. I also don't understand why You has to be labeled as an extrovert as if they have it easier than introverts and You's insecurities dismissed in order for a case to be made in Chika's defense.
Old 2016-09-05, 20:01   Link #72
novalysis

In defense of Chika, I think Chika's mental cognitive space for processing inter-personal relationships, has more or less been running in over-drive for the past few months. She's been bouncing back from one highly cognitively demanding social situation to another, having to address the issues of 7 of the 9 members of Aqours. You has fallen out of focus, because for what is likely the first time in her life, Chika is having to juggle so many social-relationships at once. It hasn't occurred to Chika yet, that You is starting to feel as if Chika is falling away as a friend. There's just too many other things going on in Chika's social life demanding scarce cognitive capacity for her to even notice You. And Chika, I suspect is no natural social butterfly.

Essentially, because You is so familiar, Chika has basically inadvertently pushed You out of her headspace, in the process of getting involved in the issues of the First and Third Years. We can add onto this, the greater strain of having to worry about the strategic direction of Aqours, and pettier worries involved being de-facto the group's lyricist at this stage in the anime (where writing possibly isn't her strongest suit).

I'd like to put up a second interpretation of why Chika is brushing You off. In Chika's mind, she's actually being polite - it is not her place to saddle You even further with the problems of Kanan-Mari or of Riko; she doesn't want to ask even more of her childhood friend than she has already done. Riko's issues should be Chika's burden alone; for it was her who started the ball rolling in the first place not You.

P.s: Wasn't Hanamaru supposed to be the lyricist? How did Chika get saddled with the job?

Last edited by novalysis; 2016-09-06 at 03:36.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 20:39   Link #73
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Doesn't change the fact that it's cruel. You was there when Chika needed her, and also when she didn't need her. You saw how much it stressed out Chika from the very start - not getting enough members, dealing with Dia's stubbornness, losing badly - even though Chika didn't open up to her like she did with Riko. And now when You needs Chika, she's not willing or even capable of doing the same for her? Sorry, there's no excuse. Until Chika does this for You, which I'm suspecting might happen in the next episode, Chika is not being a good friend.
Understanding Chika also means understanding she hasn't always made the best decisions.

I have no idea about the lyricist. I actually don't even remember Hanamaru being assigned the duty..
Old 2016-09-05, 22:24   Link #74
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I am being understanding of Chika. I am also being understanding of You.
If Chika is aware of You's differences from her, Chika would be aware of how much she is hurting You.
I don't think that Chika is aware of how she might be hurting You. This is because Chika has an awful lot else on her mind right now. And maybe Chika thinks that the best way to not hurt (or disappoint) You is by Chika keeping certain things from You right now.

There's everything novalysis said. That much is undeniably true.

But you've also prompted me to put this up, SleepingTerror. If my take on Chika is correct, I can certainly understand Chika not realizing how she might be hurting You right now.

I still feel sorry for You, but Chika is going through a lot herself right now, if I'm right about Chika.
Old 2016-09-05, 23:59   Link #75
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that it's cruel. You was there when Chika needed her, and also when she didn't need her. You saw how much it stressed out Chika from the very start - not getting enough members, dealing with Dia's stubbornness, losing badly - even though Chika didn't open up to her like she did with Riko. And now when You needs Chika, she's not willing or even capable of doing the same for her? Sorry, there's no excuse. Until Chika does this for You, which I'm suspecting might happen in the next episode, Chika is not being a good friend.
Understanding Chika also means understanding she hasn't always made the best decisions.

I have no idea about the lyricist. I actually don't even remember Hanamaru being assigned the duty..
From what I am reading it is "wrong" and "cruel" of Chika to not discuss whatever is troubling her with You but instead "open up to Riko instead". Is it really?

What exactly has changed in their relationship exactly? From Chika's perspective, nothing. She and You are still close friends and the whole thing with Riko doesn't change that in the slightest. There is no need for her to discuss it with You as Chika was able to handle it perfectly fine. We still don't know what Riko is going to do on the actual date of Love Live / piano competition but for now the situation is resolved as well as they possibly could.

From You's perspective, she believes that Chika is drifting apart from her and the space is filled by Riko, who only appeared a short time ago compared to the many years You and Chika were close. These are You's own insecurities because she is assuming the worst case.

You doesn't need Chika more now than she did before, she wants her more. That's fine but certainly not Chika's fault in any capacity nor does she need an excuse for that. It isn't neglecting either since that would imply that she is treating their relationship less than required which we can make a fairly educated guess of not being the case.

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2016-09-06 at 00:10.
Old 2016-09-06, 00:09   Link #76
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But you've also prompted me to put this up, SleepingTerror. If my take on Chika is correct, I can certainly understand Chika not realizing how she might be hurting You right now.
Thank you for the write up, compared to Honoka, Chika is not as confident in herself. Whether this means she's an introvert is debatable to me, but I'll accept she's struggling with more issues than Honoka.
I am being harsh on Chika, but I don't think it's without good reason. From what you said, and what I've said, and a little paraphrasing, Chika doesn't have time for You anymore. She has time for Riko, she has time for setting the third years straight, but You? Nope, no time for You. After all, You is someone Chika has admired for a long time. The possibility and truth that You might be having a hard time is something Chika probably has never even considered. It's a realistic scenario, but it's still pretty darn selfish and inconsiderate.
I have a theory that is way far-fetched.. But let's say some time ago, You lost a swimming match. You was upset, but she hid her feelings from Chika, put up a brave face, and said something along the lines of I'll just have to try again, or I'll get them next time, or don't worry about it. Chika noticed but didn't say anything, and You won her next match, and the next, and now it's the present. Chika believes based on You's experience, it's entirely possible to hide your feelings and still succeed without burdening anyone. If that is in anyway the case, then I'd understand why Chika believes she's doing You a favor by giving her the cold shoulder. But I doubt it. Chika is too caught up in her own world. Either she's forgotten about You or she's convinced herself being distant to You is for the best, and neither are good reasons. The former suggests poor friendship, and the latter suggests poor leadership. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens next, but I refuse to let Chika off the hook easily for hurting my best girl >.<

Quote:
From You's perspective, she believes that Chika is drifting apart from her and the space is filled by Riko, who only appeared a short time ago compared to the many years You and Chika were close. These are You's own insecurities because she is assuming the worst case.
It's not only from You's perspective. Chika has been being very brief with her. Chika and You used to be very close. That is definitely not the case now. It's really sad because in the first episode, You directly tells Chika she wanted to do something both of them could be excited about. You basically joined so that she could spend more time with Chika, and LOL was she ever wrong.

Last edited by SleepingTerror; 2016-09-06 at 00:16. Reason: clarification
Old 2016-09-06, 00:28   Link #77
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Thank you for the write up, compared to Honoka, Chika is not as confident in herself. Whether this means she's an introvert is debatable to me, but I'll accept she's struggling with more issues than Honoka.
Thank you. That's how I currently see it. So Chika is working hard at making sure that Aqours does Ok. And this might be emotionally draining Chika some.

Quote:
I am being harsh on Chika, but I don't think it's without good reason. From what you said, and what I've said, and a little paraphrasing, Chika doesn't have time for You anymore. She has time for Riko, she has time for setting the third years straight, but You? Nope, no time for You. After all, You is someone Chika has admired for a long time.
Well, that's just it. I think Chika figures that You is doing just fine because You has always done just fine. And it's not like Chika is actively avoiding You in every way. Chika and You did interact some in this episode. They're still friendly towards each other.

Riko comforted Chika greatly at the end of Episode 8, and Chika poured out a lot of her hurts there. So Chika thinks that if there's anybody in Aqours that she can afford to open up to like this, it's Riko. Right now, with Chika working hard to lead Aqours, Chika needs that friend she can totally relax around.

It is a little sad that You might not be that particular friend. But there is a cost to You often asking Chika questions like "So are you going to quit? Are you going to give up?" Chika probably doesn't want to risk hearing those sorts of questions right now because this is hard enough as it is, and she knows that Riko won't ask those sorts of questions.

Some of this is also just circumstances, really. It is very convenient that Riko lives right next to Chika, for example.

Edit: You're right that this is kinda sad given how things started for Chika/You back in Episode 1. That's why my take on things is still tentative - This is kinda dark for Love Live. But I'm confident that if Chika notices that You is hurting that Chika will try to make things right with You. Hopefully things will get back on track for them by the end of Season 1.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2016-09-06 at 00:46.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-06, 00:37   Link #78
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Some of Koi ni Naritai AQUARIUM's Romanized lyrics:
Toiki ga kikoeru kyori made chikadzukitai na I miss you!

And guess who's singing that line? The LL! film proved the series capacity write names into the lyrics so this probably isn't a coincidence

@ SleepingTerror
Here, have this in the meantime:
https://twitter.com/koyomania/status/772679614527213568
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-06, 00:48   Link #79
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
So Chika thinks that if there's anybody in Aqours that she can afford to open up to like this, it's Riko. Right now, with Chika working hard to lead Aqours, Chika needs that friend she can totally relax around.

It is a little sad that You might not be that particular friend. But there is a cost to You often asking Chika questions like "So are you going to quit? Are you going to give up?" Chika probably doesn't want to risk hearing those sorts of questions right now because this is hard enough as it is, and she knows that Riko won't ask those sorts of questions.
This is entering the realm of fan fiction really.

Chika can and does relax around You. She doesn't tell her about the issue with Riko but that doesn't make them less close.

Quote:
Edit: You're right that this is kinda sad given how things started for Chika/You back in Episode 1. That's why my take on things is still tentative - This is kinda dark for Love Live. But I'm confident that if Chika notices that You is hurting that Chika will try to make things right with You. Hopefully things will get back on track for them by the end of Season 1.
You is 'hurting' because of her own desires and not because Chika is treating her differently. The one who changed their view on their friendship is You, not Chika.

Quote:
It's not only from You's perspective. Chika has been being very brief with her. Chika and You used to be very close. That is definitely not the case now. It's really sad because in the first episode, You directly tells Chika she wanted to do something both of them could be excited about. You basically joined so that she could spend more time with Chika, and LOL was she ever wrong.
Brief? All she did was telling her that she is alright when something clearly is on her mind. How that translates into not being close anymore is a mystery. There seems to be the idea that close friends have to tell each other everything at all times which is simply not the case. They also most likely spend more time together if you take all the time practicing, going to Tokyo, talking about Aquors, etc. into account.

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2016-09-06 at 01:05.
Old 2016-09-06, 00:50   Link #80
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
But I'm confident that if Chika notices that You is hurting that Chika will try to make things right with You. Hopefully things will get back on track for them by the end of Season 1.
Yep! That is the root of my issues, Chika not realizing yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
My heart can't take these feels TT^TT
And then I scroll down and see the 2nd years as dogs. Heartwarming but unexpected..

Quote:
Brief? All she did was telling her that she is alright when something clearly is on her mind. How that translates into not being close anymore is a mystery.
That is the meaning of brief. Or do you prefer me to say You was dismissed? Given the cold shoulder? Shut down?
It isn't a mystery when you consider that it has happened multiple times. Close friends don't have to tell each other everything, but that's what Chika and Riko do, and they're close friends. You doesn't fit this category anymore.

Last edited by SleepingTerror; 2016-09-06 at 00:58. Reason: ninja'd