AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-09, 08:41   Link #101
Sacredus

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
So you didn't actually watch it then. Okay.

Solid first episode that shows that this could possibly give Hyouka a run for its money. The visuals are gorgeous and the sound is nice. Overall the show is a treasure so far. Looking forward to the next episode.
So you're basically saying that since I don't like wasting my time on retarded moeshit means I didn't even try? So tell me, what is good about this show? Maybe graphically it's great but that's all. Music? They played for one or two minutes of whole episode (and insert songs/music doesn't count). K-ON also trolled to be music show at beginning.

Spoiler for That music, that story, that action!:
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 09:08   Link #102
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
retarded moeshit
Quote:
graphically
Sure is video-games in here. What's next? "Rendering" in my anime?

Make some real criticisms instead of using all the buzzwords you learned from "lel-not-your-hugbox". Maybe then someone will think you at least watched past the intro.

I liked the episode. Looking forward to the next one.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 09:14   Link #103
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
So you're basically saying that since I don't like wasting my time on retarded moeshit means I didn't even try? So tell me, what is good about this show? Maybe graphically it's great but that's all. Music? They played for one or two minutes of whole episode (and insert songs/music doesn't count). K-ON also trolled to be music show at beginning.
Sigh. No one even needs to make light of you, you're doing it yourself just fine.

And fidgety act was absolutely justified.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 09:19   Link #104
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
Quote:
No. I'm saying you didn't try because if you did watch it you would know that it's nothing like K-On! K-On! was a cute girls doing cute things show while occasionally acting as a band. The first episode has made it quite clear that this show is going to focus primarily on the band with little bits of life on the side. They may not have played much music but that's only because it's the first episode and the entire episode was about Kumiko making friends and trying to decide whether to join the band or not.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 13:35   Link #105
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:

Spoiler for That music, that story, that action!:
I'm as far as a post-2009 Kyoani fan as it gets (for me personally this is probably the first show in a long while that didn't have me switching it off instantly), but let's admit it-- your criticism is shallow and is entirely based on a broad label of "retarded moeshit". You're judging it by a superficial resemblance to another show. Is that really ok? I don't even necessarily disagree with you but it is clear that your claims have no substance even if they happen to be true! If say, after 3 episodes, it matches the blueprint of what you don't like in K-on, that'd make more sense, but let's be honest, if one were to dismiss every show because it felt derivative of another, then most shows wouldn't be given a fair chance.

Criticize specifically and focus on the show itself rather than let previous experiences influence it that much.

Again, this is an opinion, and I can't even say you're wrong, but I don't really see the value of coming into a show with the intent to bury.

On the other hand, I agree with you that people should be able to adequately define the value and qualities of the show rather then just attacking your tone and intent. In this case, the responses are probably not as good as they could be but respect runs both ways.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 15:56   Link #106
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
So tell me, what is good about this show?
I found the background and set up for the main character to be quite interesting, personally.

She's found herself in a very awkward position where her hobby requires her to either join a group she's ambivalent towards, or give up on her hobby altogether. Though not quite as competitive as another character she's had a falling out with (another interesting element in itself), she still sees some value in being better and not being satisfied with averageness. And she has the intelligence and foresight to see that'll put her at odds with the school club further down the line, if she joins. Not only that but there are other factors at play: the girl she's had a falling out with has joined the group which will only inhibit her even more, but on the other hand she's already grown into a group of friends who are themselves interested in the club and whose interest revives Kumiko's fond memories of learning how to play. You can tell another side of her just wants to go down the path with the least resistance but between being pressured by her friends to join and confronting someone she has a bad past with, she can't really decide which is best. All these factors cause her to flip flop on whether she wants to join or not, in a very realistic and relatable way. None of it is played out melodramatically: It's all very low key and down to earth. As a result, in just one episode the main character has been fleshed out into a relatable, multifaceted character placed in a unique situation.

I think that some people are being way too quick to judge this show really. I can understand where people will get the K-On vibes: I think they're there too and it's hardly no coincidence considering how much of a success K-On was. But for me the similarities are only skin deep and "vibes" are all we'll get. I think the first episode has already departed from K-On in favour of being more of a character drama along the lines of Hyouka. Funnily enough, I also remember a few posters being quick to denounce Hyouka on its première and look how that turned out. Now will Hibike! Euphonium be the next Hyouka? Probably not. Some of the character interactions do feel a little bit "trying too hard" and some characters do feel a little too defined by moe traits. But for me Hyouka was a truly great show like no other: If Hibike! Euphonium can emulate even a little of Hyouka's greatness then I think it will at the very least be an enjoyable show worth watching.

Last edited by Haak; 2015-04-09 at 17:47.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 16:45   Link #107
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I don't want to get involved in the argument, but I really think the similarities between this and K-On are just surface features. As I said in my season preview, I feared this was just going to be a re-run of K-On, only with band instruments. But now that I've actually watched an episode it didn't feel like that at all. It felt more like Hyouka, with more realized characters and more natural and interesting interactions.

Little as I liked K-On, I really loathe swear-words like "moeshit" and "moeblob." Tastes differ. And in any case, moe is not the heart of this show, so far.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 16:51   Link #108
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Back to the subject of Kumiko's hair, I definitely preferred the ponytail myself. I've never been too fond of the fuzzy kind of style where it looks like it'd get in her way. Maybe if it were longer. What's with anime and girls changing their hairstyles and I like the original one better?

And no, this isn't K-on. I'd elaborate but I don't feel like getting stuff tossed at me today.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 17:02   Link #109
Dextro
He Without a Title

I'll have to add my voice to those who say that this show is nothing like K-On on a deeper level and that's a good thing since I find that the studio has been far too focused on recreating their successes with that show and their Key adaptations to really find its stride. I find that the studio had sources that strongly complemented their strengths in (melo?)drama and straight man comedy during those times but has failed to find equally complementing material in their original series.

However I would hold up on comparing this to Hyouka since that's a very different beast and I hardly see any reason to raise this show to that level at this point in time. To be fair I also found the opening episode of that show to be rather weak so there's still time but I feel that Hibike! will end up standing up on it's own when the run is done. I doubt it'll reach the level of a novel being adapted by Gatoh Shouji but it may just get KyoAni back on track doing what I feel like they do best: heavy drama with touches of comedy.

I would love to talk more about how I feel about KyoAni lately (especially since the Tamako Market movie) but sadly the studio thread is locked down tight precisely due to this kind of blind "moeblob" accusations that show up from time to time. I was a big fan of their work for a while and am very hopeful for Hibike! Euphonium and I had hoped that people had forgotten about their studio bias by now given the string of less than average output lately.
Old 2015-04-09, 18:27   Link #110
Dickdatduck More

K-on started as a Yonkoma seinen manga and Hibike! Euphonium started as a novel. One is more comedy based and the other is more story based.
Dickdatduck More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 19:59   Link #111
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Yeah, while you can see the usual KyoAni stylings, it certainly feels different to their usual offerings. Then again, I came into this knowing that, like Hyouka, this was based on a novel rather than a gag manga.

Also, I have no idea why people are saying that the show is suddenly misandric... just because she brushed off her childhood friend? Really? The way the two reacted, it actually seemed like this was par for course for the two. People sure are over-reading things...
Old 2015-04-09, 20:37   Link #112
HandofFate

Usually you see the scene between them in the reverse role for childhood friend with the guy brushing the girl off, or the girl getting embarrassed. So it was a nice standard to see the other way. And the frank way they talked to eachother was pretty good.

From the convo, the guy was embarrassed when the girl asked him in front of everyone if he was eating at her place that night during middle school.
Old 2015-04-09, 20:52   Link #113
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Usually you see the scene between them in the reverse role for childhood friend with the guy brushing the girl off, or the girl getting embarrassed. So it was a nice standard to see the other way. And the frank way they talked to eachother was pretty good.

From the convo, the guy was embarrassed when the girl asked him in front of everyone if he was eating at her place that night during middle school.
Yeah, it'd be hard to look at that conversation and say there was no hope for those two. He said something a bit stupid when embarrassed, she clearly wasn't too happy about it. But it's not like they weren't able to chat in the present after that incident was briefly mentioned.
Old 2015-04-09, 20:55   Link #114
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
This is why I hate anime PVs, they make the show look boring and dull. I decided to check out the first episode, and yeah it was just excellent.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 22:47   Link #115
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
3. The band music was expertly executed. It sounded just good enough and nice enough to make it easy to understand why some listeners were in awe of it, but it was also just discordant enough to understand why Kumiko thought it sucked. Yes, it was a mostly pleasant and nicely rising sound, but there was some disharmony there that I think most people who have heard at least some band music before would pick out.
I'm always impressed at how professional musicians can carry off sounding somewhat wrong. I recall a similar performance in Nodame Cantabile where the orchestra was supposed to be a little off. Assigning the off-key parts must be complicated, and performing them convincingly difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Just curious....do Yamaha sponsored this? You can see their name in quite huge placement
Yamaha has been underwriting anime about music at least since Nodame Cantabile in 2007. Nodame plays a Yamaha piano throughout.

I feel like I've suddenly been barraged with logos in anime, having watched Euphonium and Punch Line together. That had one scene with promos for Niconico and Sony Vaio laptops.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-10, 00:17   Link #116
Esclair

This has been the first KyoAn show in a long time that just 'clicked' with me. The atmosphere and direction is definitely drama heavy, which is what I feel KyoAn does best in, as opposed to their moe moe productions. The first episode had just the right amount of drama shoved into a tried and true sports story setup.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-10, 08:27   Link #117
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

this thread needs more moeshit

blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-10, 15:36   Link #118
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
this thread needs more moeshit

That was cruel dude. That angle is sure to give me a nose bleed

PS: I'm in the messy hair camp. I feel like she leveled up when she dropped the pony tail
Old 2015-04-10, 19:37   Link #119
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
That was cruel dude. That angle is sure to give me a nose bleed

PS: I'm in the messy hair camp. I feel like she leveled up when she dropped the pony tail
I think it's a tough call. Feel she makes both looks work so it's not a big issue either way .

Also interesting perspective for the picture. Taken from within the euphonium case .
Old 2015-04-10, 20:03   Link #120
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
That's a beautiful promotional poster. KyoAni did top-notch work there, especially on the eyes and faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Azure View Post
Dangit RRR, now I can't un-see that!
Well, at least that (probably) won't be an issue after Episode 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Yeah, while you can see the usual KyoAni stylings, it certainly feels different to their usual offerings. Then again, I came into this knowing that, like Hyouka, this was based on a novel rather than a gag manga.
Same here. Which is why my expectations were a bit high.

Quote:

Also, I have no idea why people are saying that the show is suddenly misandric... just because she brushed off her childhood friend? Really? The way the two reacted, it actually seemed like this was par for course for the two. People sure are over-reading things...
I liked the brusque nature of the chat with her childhood friend. Simply for sheer novelty - Often in anime, childhood friends are gushing all over each other and/or acting tsundere towards one another. This more relaxed approach felt refreshing to me.

Plus, it wasn't one-sided (the scene hinted at him being a bit dismissive towards her in the past as well) and it didn't seem particularly harsh to me. Curt at worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm always impressed at how professional musicians can carry off sounding somewhat wrong. I recall a similar performance in Nodame Cantabile where the orchestra was supposed to be a little off. Assigning the off-key parts must be complicated, and performing them convincingly difficult.
Good point. The scene felt very true to life to me. I've heard band practices like that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post

Maki welcomes you to the team!

Good to know I'm not alone here.

Tags
band, high school drama, music, orchestra