AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2016-06-29, 13:48   Link #13521
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
Why would Waver be sensei? Who is he the Sensei of?
What do you mean by that? Waver IS sensei, it's literally his job. Among his students are Luvia, Rin, Flatt, Grey and many other). He is famous for finding and polishing great talents. Called "Great Big Ben" or "Professor Charisma" and winner of prestigious poll of guy who would female students wanted sleep most.
Old 2016-06-29, 13:50   Link #13522
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
WTF is with your luck these days? Are you sucking mine? Congrats though
Thank you! I don't even want to think about the time when Shishou first came out....

I think it's part luck, and part strategy, honestly. I firmly believe that their system seeds their RNG on a cycle, and at certain times in the day, it is a hot time. I think when people came up with the 2 AM rumor, DW said "oh noes," denied it, and then shifted their seed time to sometime else.

Part of what fuels my groundless belief is when I look at people's rolls and fusion experiences. Sure, you can get them from time to time. But sometimes, there are people who just get whole CHAINS of fortune (Lare, I'm looking at you.) And it's always in the form of consecutive rolls (and not like, each day I do one roll and good things happen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I was pretty sure Waver is sensei and Scathach is shisho. At least I don't remember ever hearing it otherwise
On this board, I can say with almost 100% certainty that there are people who have been referring to Scathach as sensei. And then posted pictures of her in pajamas.

Quote:
Lest we forget, Waver is a full-on professor at the Clock Tower. He's got students, we just don't know 'em

Quote:
Semantics.
Actually, I might argue that the difference is like the one between "-san" and "-sama", at least in terms of level of respect. "Sensei" does carry respect, but it's also fallen into common usage (like for doctors), so it can also be just a formality or force of habit. But "shishou" is still....out there. Rarely will someone ask to be called that, and it definitely refers to your mentor.

"Sensei".though...sometimes I get the feeling people refer to her that way because they like the naughty teacher fantasies.
Rasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 13:50   Link #13523
larethian

It's just like 'envy' vs 'jealousy'. They can be synonyms but yet carry different nuances which would make one an unsuitable replacement for the other in certain context. I can quote some great native discussions and examinations on the difference between the two terms, but they are long and I would be too lazy to translate them. At any rate, I don't feel that sensei is a suitable replacement for shishou in this context and in fact I feel it's actually a much lesser term (if I want to nitpick, I would cry out 'bastardization of their relationship', but I understand not everyone reads moon or even looks up etymologies of moon runes). Like Kakurin already mentioned, no natives call her sensei shrug. Though I'm mildly curious as to how this got adopted by the Western fandom.

Not really trying to get into an argument but thought I'd just mentioned it in passing...

Last edited by larethian; 2016-06-29 at 14:00. Reason: edited
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 13:52   Link #13524
GDB

Quote:
Because he's literally a professor at the Clocktower.

Quote:
Semantics.
Not really. Would you go to a Martial Arts dojo and call the teacher "Professor"?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 13:53   Link #13525
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
What do you mean by that? Waver IS sensei, it's literally his job. Among his students are Luvia, Rin, Flatt, Grey and many other (including Alex, young Waver and Gudako in FGO). He is famous for finding and polishing great talents.
But is he well known for it? Famous for it? Does it define his character? I think that title falls appropriately to Scathach for being Best Dog's teacher but that's just my opinion. When I hear the word Sensei relating to FGO my mind immediately jumps to Scathach and not Waver *shrug*

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 13:53   Link #13526
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Luvia, Rin, other people at Clock Tower.
Old 2016-06-29, 13:58   Link #13527
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post
"Sensei".though...sometimes I get the feeling people refer to her that way because they like the naughty teacher fantasies.
I was actually thinking this as well. Sensei just falls on the whole Teacher Fetish thing. Shishou doesn't really carry the same imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post
On this board, I can say with almost 100% certainty that there are people who have been referring to Scathach as sensei. And then posted pictures of her in pajamas.
Yep and I'm one of them. And it's sweater not PJs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
Luvia, Rin, other people at Clock Tower.
I actually had in mind in the world of FGO. Yes I'm sure he taught a lot of Magus over there but I'm thinking more of being well known as someone who taught someone that is famous.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
Old 2016-06-29, 14:03   Link #13528
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
I actually had in mind in the world of FGO. Yes I'm sure he taught a lot of Magus over there but I'm thinking more of being well known as someone who taught someone that is famous.
...Shota Iskandar in Rome?

Anyway, I cannot wait for 7th July to know if my iPad will continue to play FGO or not. Can't believe a mobile game can have me so worried.
Old 2016-06-29, 14:03   Link #13529
Rasen

Quote:
I was actually thinking this as well. Sensei just falls on the whole Teacher Fetish thing. Shishou doesn't really carry the same imho.
Darn tootin'. Ain't no dirty Shishou fantasies.

Quote:
For what it's worth, he's right there in the CE: "Sensei and Me"
Old 2016-06-29, 14:04   Link #13530
larethian

Resumed rolling now without skipping animation, just enjoying the process and totally in zen mode. It's funny I don't mind getting spooked by Shirley
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 14:06   Link #13531
Tenzen12

Quote:
But is he well known for it? Famous for it? Does it define his character? I think that title falls appropriately to Scathach for being Best Dog's teacher but that's just my opinion. When I hear the word Sensei relating to FGO my mind immediately jumps to Scathach and not Waver *shrug*
Yes, yes and yes it does. Also Both dogs refer Scathach as shisho (aka master). No character ever called her sensei. It's sort of like jedi thing.
Old 2016-06-29, 14:55   Link #13532
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Wouldn't Waver be "hakase"?
Old 2016-06-29, 15:00   Link #13533
GDB

That's more for scientists/inventors than professors.
Old 2016-06-29, 15:17   Link #13534
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

All magus are scientist/inventors with how obsessed they are of furthering their magecraft.

Old 2016-06-29, 15:19   Link #13535
Tenzen12

Well, Waver build own terminator so I guess it would sort of fit
Old 2016-06-29, 15:20   Link #13536
GDB

Being a researcher doesn't make you a scientist or inventor. Neither does being obsessed with something.

Again, he's a professor. It's what he does. Therefore, Sensei.
Old 2016-06-29, 15:29   Link #13537
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
That's more for scientists/inventors than professors.
So the college kind of professor is "sensei" then.
Old 2016-06-29, 18:06   Link #13538
FlameSparkZ
紅い矢は茨の如く

Already done with Medea's strengthening quest, currently working on Euryale's

Also noticed that Mashu's lvl cap increased, but she's still on stage 2 ascension...does that mean when she's maxed her level cap will be 80?
FlameSparkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 20:29   Link #13539
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Already done with Medea's strengthening quest, currently working on Euryale's

Also noticed that Mashu's lvl cap increased, but she's still on stage 2 ascension...does that mean when she's maxed her level cap will be 80?
Huh. I did not notice that.

That's a weird way of doing things. Right now, she's still got a potential max of 70, but like some have speculated, maybe she'll get upgraded to Gold along with her third Ascension.
Old 2016-06-30, 02:22   Link #13540
Klard
The cilvilain

Best CE for best dog
Spoiler for sss:

Tags
android, fgo, gacha, ios, type-moon