AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-01-07, 15:37   Link #41
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

Send a message via AIM to smee
i think i might go with free weights to gain mass, i've heard they're by far the best for mass gain.
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 18:15   Link #42
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
weight lifting stunts ur growth, thats why weight lifters are short.
Weight lifters are short because tall ppl suck at lifting weights. A tall person just can't develop the amount of relative muscle mass a short person can. The average strength/height ratio is higher for short ppl.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 18:53   Link #43
Go-lytely

True, the strongest olympic weightlifters are small, but for bodybuilding being taller helps because it gives you better lines. Arnold Schwarzenegger was pretty tall.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 18:55   Link #44
Thelastguardian

not quite so. Most so-call body builder only concentrated their build on their upper bodies (parts where you can see) and negelected the lower half. Dont ever make this mistake. Balance your exercise to both upper and lower body.
Old 2004-01-07, 19:02   Link #45
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
Well, itīs also a matter of simple physics, shorter people doesn't need to lift the weights as high as taller people, and the higher you lift something the more energy it will take. Thatīs why short people can excel at weight lifting, itīs not why they are small.
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 18:40   Link #46
Bracken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
weight lifting stunts ur growth, thats why weight lifters are short. Jump rope, running are good EXCERCISES to help u grow. weight lifting is different from most excercises. Jumprope gave me like 6 inches in one yr/half yr (forgot which) WHich is a lot for me... lol
I do not mean to flame, but do you have any idea how ignorant that comment is?

It is like saying basketball makes you tall..... because people that play basketball are all tall.

Do you see where i am coming from?

The psuedo-science and myths presented in this thread can do nothing against cold hard fact, that being that weightlifting, heavy or not, will NOT stunt growth. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise, and no, what you read in Womens Day is not evidence.

Smee, incase you don't read this (old) thread, i will send you a pm inviting you to www.bodybuilding.com , where you can be free of most of this misinformation
Bracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 23:06   Link #47
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracken
I do not mean to flame, but do you have any idea how ignorant that comment is?

It is like saying basketball makes you tall..... because people that play basketball are all tall.

Do you see where i am coming from?

The psuedo-science and myths presented in this thread can do nothing against cold hard fact, that being that weightlifting, heavy or not, will NOT stunt growth. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise, and no, what you read in Womens Day is not evidence.

Smee, incase you don't read this (old) thread, i will send you a pm inviting you to www.bodybuilding.com , where you can be free of most of this misinformation
basketball does make u tall. It was in the newspaper as one of top ten excercises for helping you grow. hmmm.... damn those Times ppl, they are morons... and they call themselves experts. But i have been enlightened by some random guy on the internet full of false information. i feel so lifted
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 23:37   Link #48
sentakuki

Does anyone know how to build arm muscle without lifting weights?
sentakuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 01:21   Link #49
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

I have not read this whole thread. Several of my points may already have been mentioned.
There is evidence for and against this. I know people who lift every day and are 6 ft or more tall. Then again, I am taller than the strongest person I know [half a ton of leg press. Think D&D dwarf, but about 5' 10"].
However, take gymnist [how do you spell this word?!] as another example. I do not know one tall gymnist [I'd know. I went out with one].
Just my views. I think it's coincidental...
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 11:48   Link #50
Serendipity

Send a message via ICQ to Serendipity Send a message via AIM to Serendipity Send a message via MSN to Serendipity
Exercise has absolutely nothing to do with it, it's all in your genetic makeup.
The only thing it has to do with your body shape is whether you are fat or not.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 15:14   Link #51
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentakuki
Does anyone know how to build arm muscle without lifting weights?
try a variation of push-ups wide armed, narrow armed, leg high, one-armed push-ups.

you could also try a variation of pull-ups same as above plus head fron pull ups, head back pull-ups and try changing your hand grip on the bar (i.e grab it so that you pull with your bicebs while flexing your arm)
Old 2004-05-08, 15:45   Link #52
HoboGod
Necromancer

i'm not sure if this has been cleared up completely, so i'll say this: excorsizing does NOT stun your growth.... but building muscle DOES.

strength training like weight lifting is okay. but until you've reached maturity, take breaks from strength training every now and then to let your body recover its shape
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 16:49   Link #53
Rhia
shush! I was only helping

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee
Does anyone know if exercising at too young an age can stunt ur growth? I am 14 and 5 foot 4 but i wanna be around 6 feet when i get older, if i start exercising will it affect my growth or am i old enough? to be more specific i am 14 and a half. I really dont wanna stay as short as i am. thanks.

I heard this aswell but i exercise ALOT and i seem to be growing still i guess it effects the person i guess..
Rhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 16:57   Link #54
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhia
I heard this aswell but i exercise ALOT and i seem to be growing still i guess it effects the person i guess..
i think he is refering to weight lifting normal excercise doesn't stunt growth on the contrary it enhaces is as far as your genetic allow