AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-11-17, 17:08   Link #221
Clarste
Human

Why not? Better strength means you can block better. It's not like strength and dex don't both add attack, so why can't more than one stat add defense, as an added perk for using shields? Well, it all depends on whether or not shields actually have a strength modifier. I can't check right now, unfortunately.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 17:17   Link #222
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Dexterity doesn't add damage to melee weapons, it adds chance to hit. If the stat actually said 'increases damage and defense' yes, but the strength stat explicitly says 'increases damage'

Even if shields did damage, strength would only increase that: The damage. Not its defense.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 17:26   Link #223
Clarste
Human

Attack is chance to hit. That's what the stat is called. Damage is called damage. I mix them up all the time, but I was really careful to use the right one this time.

But shields don't do damage. They have a defense stat (which is chance to dodge, rather than armor). Anyway, there's no point in arguing about this. It's testable. Lastly, I don't really trust the tooltips. They're pretty vague. Honestly though, if shields don't scale with stats I can't see much reason to use them. They only have 6 or so def, so they actually aren't a very big part of keeping you alive if they don't scale with your stats.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 01:13   Link #224
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

They're a requirement for the shield abilities, which are vital to a good tank or even a good damage dealer (lots of stuns, disruptions and virtually immune to arrow showers, flanking and knockdowns? Yes please!).

So yes, while shields may not give big defense bonus, they are a pretty vital part of the 'keeping alive' because of the talents and skills.
Old 2009-11-18, 17:40   Link #225
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Damn I just couldn't choose between Morrigan's or Leliana's romance option. Witch of the Wilds is a tough nut to crack, but I'll go for her on this playthrough. I'm just 20 hours into the game and I don't want it to end.

And man, anyone else love Alistar? That guy is in my bones, never loved a video game character as much as I fancy this guy. Wish I had a real life friend like him lol

P.S. Loved that note that appears on the loading screen, it goes something like: ''If everything else fails, go for the eyes''. Is that a homage to the ''Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHGHH!'' badass rat loving guy from BG? XD
Old 2009-11-18, 19:49   Link #226
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Dex is kinda bugged at the moment, but a mod to fix it ended up OP'ing enemy archers apparently.

Ohgren has some pretty hilarious banter.
Old 2009-11-18, 20:39   Link #227
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Isn't that the fight you're supposed to lose anyway?
which I found out later when I mysteriously went into a cutscene after death O_O

I normally load just as my team has fallen, or my last person is about to fall <.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
And man, anyone else love Alistar? That guy is in my bones, never loved a video game character as much as I fancy this guy. Wish I had a real life friend like him lol

P.S. Loved that note that appears on the loading screen, it goes something like: ''If everything else fails, go for the eyes''. Is that a homage to the ''Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHGHH!'' badass rat loving guy from BG? XD
Space Hamster ?

And Alistair is probably my most favourit character. But my friend hates him. Mainly because of a spoiler which I wont reveal.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 21:29   Link #228
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
And Alistair is probably my most favourit character. But my friend hates him. Mainly because of a spoiler which I wont reveal.
I dont really dislike him and he's pretty funny at times (especially his conversations with Morrigan when they're both in the party), but he whines...a LOT.

I'll be using a Sword and Board Warrior next playthrough and tank (playing a 2H Warrior atm) so I wont use Alistair again and take someone I didnt use yet.
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 02:25   Link #229
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Currently, the game is bugged in that...

-daggers only get 100% STR, instead of 50%STR/50% DEX in damage.
-xbows don't get a damage boost at all

If you're lucky enough to have the PC and you know enough about computers to put the hotfix, then I suggest this build for your sword/board tank.

1) Equip daggers. Why? Because you would be stacking DEX and nothing else, and only have 26 STR to meet Shield Expertise's prereq. This means that you still have a good amount of your damage bonuses with your weapon. Equip shortbows on your secondary, because with the dexterity hotfix, its 100% dex, making you a lethal archer.

2) Pickpocket Vastgar (Bhelen's right hand man in Orzammar), as he has a pretty sweet shield that gives +15 defense. At 26 STR, you still need +4 STR to equip it, but that's easily done since the whole Orzammar line gives you Key to the City (+2 to all stats) and Ring of the Warrior (+2 STR/DEX), if you do certain side quests. If you recruited Shale, you also have a helm that gives +2 to all stats, so this can replace one of them.

Alternatively, you can just get Eamon's Shield by completing the Redcliffe line and raiding the vault, but that only gives +9 defense.

For armor, you can either do Wade's quest for superior drakescale leather, or just go with Dalish armor over at Brecilian forest. The latter gives more defense, so I would go with that equip.

3) Invest in taunt first, then Shield defense/balance, then threaten. This is so you can actually keep aggro on your tank and not on your squishy.

Cleanse next if you're a templar, since dispelling crowd control is much too good, especially when its your healer thats disabled.

Shield Mastery line next, since you want to eliminate flanking bonus by being surrounded and give you another +5 defense for Shield Defense as well. Shield Expertise line next, to net you another +5 defense, while you have Shield Wall against knockdown heavy enemies. Take Bravery after for increased resists.

After that, if you're freeze happy with cone of cold, then overpower for another auto-crit/shatter ability. If not, shoot for Holy Smite, as AoE stun is very good, and leave Overpower for last.

Final ability should be War Cry to reduce enemy attack (ie. increase your defense), and Superiority to make it knockdown as well, adding another CC element to your repertoire.

Thus....

Champion 4
Templar 4
Bravery 3
Taunt 2
Overpower 3
Shield Expertise 4
Shield Master 4

24 talents in total, which is what you expect of an endgame character at lvl 22.

My Alistair is this build, and he laughs at physical hit rolls even at nightmare. Heroic Defense on him is essentially force field against hit rolls, without the bad side effect. Allows him to stand in front of revenants all day long with only a regeneration spell here and there, all the while keeping them away from my squishy.

Only thing you have to worry about is grabs, which AFAIK is auto-hit, so be prepared to force field him or cone of cold the enemy the moment you see him get grabbed. (or just use a tactic for it... Alistair: grabbed status -> force field, or Enemy: grabbing status --> Cone of Cold or similar CC spell)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 03:53   Link #230
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Dexterity doesn't add damage to melee weapons, it adds chance to hit. If the stat actually said 'increases damage and defense' yes, but the strength stat explicitly says 'increases damage'

Even if shields did damage, strength would only increase that: The damage. Not its defense.
It adds damage only for daggers and bows.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 08:59   Link #231
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Oh great, I bought this game the previous week in France, it's a good game but I prefer Baldur's Gate which is my best game ever!

What I don't like in Dragon Age Origins:

-landscapes are not very beautiful, I would like to see landscape as beautiful as Baldur's Gate which are painted!
-only 4 characters in a group! It's so bad! Battle aren't really epic...
-The world isn't as great/interesting as Baldur's Gate!
-The freedom => steal isn't as funny as it was in Baldur
-the story
-No day/night

What I like:
-some characters are funny (Alistair)
-a long story, it's cool
-fight are good, but I think there are too much of that
-the music

Well I go to play .
Old 2009-11-19, 10:59   Link #232
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It adds damage only for daggers and bows.
And only with the PC hotfix, right now all versions is bugged that DEX will not increase any damage for any weapon.

Also minor note, but attack bonuses are 0.5 STR/0.5 DEX for ALL weapons. Meaning that archery does NOT get 1.0 attack from DEX, as the tooltip says. This btw, is not a bug according to one of the developers, and its actually intended to balance the stats.

That said, I still find it stupid that STR lets me aime a xbow better, but hey, nothing I can do about it... >_>
Old 2009-11-19, 12:29   Link #233
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

By Hotfix you mean patch 1.01b?
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 12:43   Link #234
TrueKnight

Okay thanks to Clarste and Keroko I think I'll be focusing on the Templar skills, add str and dex and some con. Quick question, where can you find Ohgren? I already got Morrigan, Alistair, Leliana, Wynne, Zefran, Sten and my pup but no Ohgren in sight...
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 13:25   Link #235
ZeroForever

New DLC announced 'Return to Ostagar' so you can return to a previous area and loot the dead kings body... only 5 dollars and tax...
Old 2009-11-19, 13:37   Link #236
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Okay thanks to Clarste and Keroko I think I'll be focusing on the Templar skills, add str and dex and some con. Quick question, where can you find Ohgren? I already got Morrigan, Alistair, Leliana, Wynne, Zefran, Sten and my pup but no Ohgren in sight...
In Orzammar, of course.
Old 2009-11-19, 13:50   Link #237
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
By Hotfix you mean patch 1.01b?
Nope, the 'unofficial' dexterity hotfix. But don't get the 'unofficial' scare you... it comes from one of the devs; it's only unofficial because its not balanced yet (I've heard enemy archers becomes much more powerful, but I personally did not find it so).

http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/mods

Scroll down, and you'll see it. I for one am so glad for this, since it makes my dagger tank and my archer rogue much better.

And for the record, the index page of that site (aka. The Missing Manual) has loads of useful information about the intricacies of the game. It might not be complete yet, but there's still a lot of info to be gleaned from them, if you're the type whose interested in knowing how some of the things work.
Old 2009-11-19, 20:04   Link #238
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I'm use to using "unofficial" patches and mods, so it doesn't bother me. Although I am a little worried about having the enemy archers being over powered... It's bad enought that there's always loads of them, but making them stronger too...
Old 2009-11-19, 23:41   Link #239
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Double post but... is there anyway to "respec" a character?
Old 2009-11-19, 23:53   Link #240
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Double post but... is there anyway to "respec" a character?
You could try searching for a character editor online or use the cheats. I haven't figured out the runscript commands yet, but all in due time after this weekend's Anime Festival Asia 09.

OT : May'n and Yoshiki Fukuyama are coming! And so are the K-ON! Seiyuus! It is a pity that Minako Kotobuki won't be doing anything "nice" to the other girls...

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360