AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-06-24, 10:06   Link #261
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Until Vol 2 came out, I still had suspicions that she might be related to WN somehow.
Wait, did something happen in volume 2 to negate that? Didn't it end well before WN appeared? She could still theoretically be related to it. Granted, I prefer the explanation implied by the Madoka Magica manga for WN more.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 10:42   Link #262
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
They're probably assessing future Madoka projects (and you know there will be some) with more thought. The three manga spinoffs felt rushed because they most likely were rushed, to cash in quick in case the anime didn't sell as well as expected/hoped for. I fully expect that Kazumi will be given more attention in light of things due to its slower release schedule (monthly).

On the topic of Oriko itself....well, Madoka dying was inevitable. Actually, mission accomplished for Oriko. Despite Homura's best intentions Oriko knew the truth, that Madoka would be contracted and she would turn into Gretchen no matter what. Kyubey would find Madoka, it was just a matter of time.

The question in my mind is Yuma. Did anyone else think it was odd that she was so underplayed? Kyubey practically salivated over her (until he caught wind of Madoka), and she's not only powerful but she snapped the other girls out of their shock/despair like it was nothing.

Outside of that, the only other irregularity was Kirika. She now holds the record for "girl with the longest time between busted Soul Gem and turning into a Witch". Sorry Sayaka and Madoka. I guess it's now canon that a Soul Gem that has turned black doesn't mean immediate Witch, for some girls. Could be plot armor I guess.

What I take from Oriko is that there exists three timelines that Homura never found:

1. A timeline where Madoka never contracts, ever, but doesn't die.
2. A timeline where she does, and doesn't die, become a Witch, or a Goddess.
3. A timeline where she does, becomes a Goddess, and returns.

We've seen the other three variations now:

1. She never contracts, and dies anyway.
2. She contracts and dies or becomes a Witch.
3. She contracts, becomes a Goddess, and ceases to exist to any mortal but Homura.

We've also never seen a timeline where bringing girls back from being a Witch was actually possible.

So outside of various stories of Homura failing, such as this one, and slice of life alternatives, there's still plenty of story telling left in the Madoka universe, not including stuff not directly related such as Kazumi.
That one's strange you know because technically her Ascended form transcends all timelines so there can only be one.
Old 2011-06-24, 11:07   Link #263
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Wait, did something happen in volume 2 to negate that? Didn't it end well before WN appeared? She could still theoretically be related to it. Granted, I prefer the explanation implied by the Madoka Magica manga for WN more.
Supposed to end well because of alot of allies, but Oriko persisted to kill Madoka at any cost that she used a shard from Kirika's witch form and throw it at her, which she successfully pierced her chest and died. It did not end well...

Apparently there is no proof that Yuma's witch form=WN, because of the gears. It will take a long time to explain that part zzz
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 11:15   Link #264
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
Supposed to end well because of alot of allies, but Oriko persisted to kill Madoka at any cost that she used a shard from Kirika's witch form and throw it at her, which she successfully pierced her chest and died. It did not end well...

Apparently there is no proof that Yuma's witch form=WN, because of the gears. It will take a long time to explain that part zzz
How does any of that negate the theory? Madoka dying does not cause Walpurgisnacht to not appear. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 11:35   Link #265
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
Oriko's last vision showed that Homura would fail, though. I already mused about this problem - Homura is locked on protecting Madoka by defeating WN without her help, thus escaping this groundhog month... but she doesn't even seem to consider what will happen next. And Kyuubey's still around...

Quote:
2. A timeline where she does, and doesn't die, become a Witch, or a Goddess.
Sunny Day Life?

As to WN... I really don't know. The gears are described in the profile as "symbol of eternity" or something, but we don't know if the witch herself actually existed for a long time (it's a known fact that several magical girls have to fight her together - meaning these attempts were successful?). We also have little info on the actual logic of witch design (Octavia is more or less hinting, but good luck deciphering Madoka and Kirika's witch forms), so for all we know, gears might pop up from a thousand of reasons. The same with "stage" quirks and all. The only hook we got in PMOM was that WN's nature of helplessness matched Yuma's mindset just dandy (plus her witch form might have a recovery ability even better than Sayaka's - yeah, I'm thinking ep 11 here). But that's just speculah.

It's unknown whether Magica Quartet are even GOING to let us know about WN's origins. But if we hope to derive it from the existing spin-offs, then there's still Kazumi & Co. They have about as many chances to be related as Yuma.

By the way... Oriko makes the last shot with her soul gem broken? I thought it was a quicker death... Apparently not.

Last edited by Snork; 2011-06-24 at 13:31.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 14:30   Link #266
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
By the way... Oriko makes the last shot with her soul gem broken? I thought it was a quicker death... Apparently not.
Actually, it seems that when Kirika was defeated, part of witch form was still left behind, and Oriko used a broken piece of Kirika's form to shoot Madoka.

If you look at this page closely, there's one panel that shows what seems to be a chunk of Kirika's form stuck on the roof of the barrier and shard breaking apart from it.
Old 2011-06-24, 15:53   Link #267
Snork
Twilight lander

I get the chunk part (although it's interesting how the witch didn't disappear completely at once). What I'm talking about is that I expected Oriko to die instantly as her soul gem was shot. After all, both Mami and Kyouko in TL3 give an impression of that. Oriko, however, retains her consciousness and magic for some seconds. Apparently souls don't leave the "jar" immediately.
Old 2011-06-24, 16:47   Link #268
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Ah yea that's true. Maybe Homura didn't completely destroy Oriko's soul gem like how Kirika's soul gem was partially cracked. And when Oriko used all her magic in that one shot, she finally died. Or maybe she had a moment of plot armor.
Old 2011-06-24, 21:41   Link #269
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
I get the chunk part (although it's interesting how the witch didn't disappear completely at once). What I'm talking about is that I expected Oriko to die instantly as her soul gem was shot. After all, both Mami and Kyouko in TL3 give an impression of that. Oriko, however, retains her consciousness and magic for some seconds. Apparently souls don't leave the "jar" immediately.
i completely disagree.Mami did try to shoot at Homura even though the soul gem is destroyed. Just missed
Old 2011-06-24, 22:04   Link #270
Jimmy C

And Kyoko's body didn't revert to normal until a second after hitting the floor.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 04:06   Link #271
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
i completely disagree.Mami did try to shoot at Homura even though the soul gem is destroyed
I thought it was an aftereffect, since her finger was ready to pull the trigger?

Quote:
And Kyoko's body didn't revert to normal until a second after hitting the floor.
True. although such a detail is prone to remain dubious until the BD release
Old 2011-06-25, 06:49   Link #272
Jimmy C

Actually, it looks like I ended on the wrong side of the debate. My statement was meant to show that the girls' magic lingers for a bit even after the soul gem is shattered. However, I do support the view that the girls are pretty much dead the moment the gem shatters.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 16:14   Link #273
Snork
Twilight lander

Well, the process can't be reversed, alright. The matter in question was just how long it takes a soul to fade away from the broken soul gem. ^_^
Old 2011-06-25, 21:29   Link #274
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
I thought it was an aftereffect, since her finger was ready to pull the trigger?

True. although such a detail is prone to remain dubious until the BD release
Follows a person's death...normally your hand should be leaving the trigger and the gun should be off your hand already(i think)
Old 2011-06-26, 05:21   Link #275
Snork
Twilight lander

not when you died in the process of pulling it. It's not an uncommon detail in movies, actually.
Old 2011-06-27, 09:35   Link #276
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Well, the process can't be reversed, alright. The matter in question was just how long it takes a soul to fade away from the broken soul gem. ^_^
Or maybe how strong a person's will to achieve a mission can last.
Old 2011-06-28, 05:37   Link #277
Snork
Twilight lander

By the way, speculahs have it that Oriko simply becomes a witch in other timelines.
and as you might guess, that's also a fertile ground for Walpurgis-themed epileptic trees to grow. As much as I'm cautios about them... we've never seen WN's arrival in the Oriko timeline.
Old 2011-06-28, 05:51   Link #278
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
By the way, speculahs have it that Oriko simply becomes a witch in other timelines.
and as you might guess, that's also a fertile ground for Walpurgis-themed epileptic trees to grow. As much as I'm cautios about them... we've never seen WN's arrival in the Oriko timeline.
Is the witch name called Gertrud?
Old 2011-06-28, 10:23   Link #279
Snork
Twilight lander

Her, too. Although Elsa Maria was mentioned as well. But hey, it doesn't even have to be a known witch - I'm pretty sure Mitakihara houses a greater number than all we were shown so far.
Now, concerning WN=Oriko speculah... Hmmm...
Gears as relation to time and fate: check
Helplessness: check?
Theatrical quirks: er, wait, I give up here.
Also Oriko saw WN in her first vision and said it was her fate. She must have also learnt about the system right then, since instead of shouting "Kyuubey-san, there's a terrible witch due to be born! You gotta do something!" she directly starts tricking him, and keeping him away from the girl destined to become Gretchen (speaking of Kyuubey, this is also the first time we see him openly planning the demise of a magical girl who messed up with his job ).
But whatever witch Oriko was bound to turn into (and you don't need to be a prophet to calculate the odds), it brings a whole load of bitter irony: the poor girl made a cotract to know her fate, but it was actually the contract itself that defined it. Who knows, maybe if she didn't gain an urgent goal of preventing Gretchen's birth, might she have just committed a suicide to change her own fate the quickest way possible? Kyubey sure has a reason for not telling the truth outright even to those already in his grip.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 10:59   Link #280
rantuyetmai
↓ Crazy in love with her

Oriko Magica took place in one of Homura's time lines. Homura knew and learn to avoid mistakes after each repeat so I guess she just took care of Oriko, Kirika, etc etc and whatever obstacles she found dangerous to Madoka beforehand. That's why there's no Oriko in Madoka Magica verse.

About Yuma it's also explainable. What if Homura accidentally hunted the witch-that-kill-Yuma's-parents before they commit that murder? Then Yuma wouldn't meet Kyouko. Especially if you've watched Steins;Gate you'll know every little action can alter the time line drastically. Homura could have just silently assassinated Oriko & Co., this affect the number of magical girl population in the city since less of them will be murdered, one of these girl could kill the witch-that-kill-Yuma's-parents in turn and again Kyouko won't meet Yuma.

What I used to not understand is why Kyouko is present in the city and apparently can talk normally with Mami, as the impression I got from the anime is that each city has 1 girl dominated the hunting ground and Kyouko only dare to come to Mitakihara only after Mami kicked the bucket. But now with Oriko Magica and Drama CD 2 came out it seemed the city have multiple MGs, each have their own "part of the town". Depending on Homura's action, Mami and Kyouko might potentially met and talk normally (Oriko), being friends (Sunny Day Life) or never talk (Madoka), or being wary of each other before finally teaming up (Madoka - TL3).

The only question left: Why does it appear only Mami and Madoka and later on Homura fought WP? Where are all other MGs?
Spoiler for speculah:

^ this only explain later timelines though, can't understand TL1.

Last edited by rantuyetmai; 2011-06-28 at 17:22.
rantuyetmai is offline   Reply With Quote