AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-18, 00:29   Link #841
Eratas123

@ SlayerX - Yeah, but who's to say who's innocent and who's a thug in disguise? Anyway, I agree with you for the most part Everything would be peachy if bending couldn't really be used offensively since that's pretty much Amon's main method of support. Even waterbending, the most pacifistic and beneficial to human life, can be used in very violent ways.

This whole conflict reminds me of the Gun prohibition laws.
Old 2012-06-18, 00:55   Link #842
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Even waterbending, the most pacifistic and beneficial to human life
I don't think you should try to rank them like that. Regardless of the element, bending is simply manipulation of matter/energy at its core. It has nothing to do with pacifism/violence and human society makes use of all four elements.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 00:59   Link #843
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's more reflective of the practitioner than anything. Remember that Iroh was an incredibly powerful firebender but was a pacifist at heart. Tarlok on the other hand willfully bends blood without a full moon.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 01:48   Link #844
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I don't think you should try to rank them like that. Regardless of the element, bending is simply manipulation of matter/energy at its core. It has nothing to do with pacifism/violence and human society makes use of all four elements.
And if you were going to rank them, Airbenders were certainly the most pacifistic among the nations.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 02:00   Link #845
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

All we need is to see an aggressively violent airbender to change opinions. I mean I used to think all firebenders were hotheads until I understood Iroh's life philosophy. And I thought waterbenders were more of the healer type until the first bloodbending episode.

Of course I'm sure that, in each type of bending's philosophy they are what we see them as, but again as a pure energy and martial form any and all bending can be wholly destructive.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 02:10   Link #846
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It seems apparent from Aang's philosophy - and his upbringing before the big freeze - that the entire Airbender philosophy and lifestyle was built on non-violence. I don't think you can say that about any of the other nations.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 02:38   Link #847
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And if you were going to rank them, Airbenders were certainly the most pacifistic among the nations.
Which is why they were wiped out with seemingly minor effort.

P.s. I changed my avatar to reflect my burning desire to see Iroh the second show Korra what a real firebender looks like.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 03:55   Link #848
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

^ Considering all we've seen so far is weak ass bending, I'd love that. And it's not just fire... the waterbending we've seen from LoK doesn't quite cut it either.
Old 2012-06-18, 06:14   Link #849
Eratas123

I meant that they have the most beneficial uses, not that the benders themselves were better for mankind (Air Nomads are my favorite faction since they're the most peaceful). So far we've seen healing and hydrating use for the water bending. Fire can be used to cauterize wounds, I guess, and lighting was used for power in that one episode. Air and Earth I haven't seen much non-violent or non-offensive uses apart from the Air Scooter or platforms made of earth.

Anyway, my proposed solution is that bending should be regulated, not removed. Have laws or something that prohibit suddenly using it for no reason or for fighting. It's like giving everyone in a town a gun and having no law as to what they can or can't do with it. Sure, 95% of the population won't go gun crazy, but the black sheep or risk takers would certainly get ideas if no law was in order.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:21   Link #850
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Wow, i just found out about the new Avatar this saturday. After having marathoned the 10 chapters, i have to say I like the first series a lot better. For a good part of the series Aang only really used one element but he still kicked major ass. Korra can already use 3 and a half but she still ends up knocked out every other fight... Also, this series suffers from a serious lack of Toph, she was awesome. And seeing elderly Katara was... weird.

Or maybe it's just the Disgaea syndrome, where where the sequels weren't actually bad games but first one was so freking awesome that everything else looks worse by comparison.

Anyway, i like that she is leaving the city. This was another thing the show was lacking, she definitely needs to travel more, it'll help bring out the same sense of "adventure" as the first series. It's a good chance to show how the world changed since Aang... And I hope Iroh lives up to his name, really looking foward to that.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:55   Link #851
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Because people need to see this...

Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 15:13   Link #852
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasxn View Post
Wow, i just found out about the new Avatar this saturday. After having marathoned the 10 chapters, i have to say I like the first series a lot better. For a good part of the series Aang only really used one element but he still kicked major ass. Korra can already use 3 and a half but she still ends up knocked out every other fight... Also, this series suffers from a serious lack of Toph, she was awesome. And seeing elderly Katara was... weird.

Or maybe it's just the Disgaea syndrome, where where the sequels weren't actually bad games but first one was so freking awesome that everything else looks worse by comparison.

Anyway, i like that she is leaving the city. This was another thing the show was lacking, she definitely needs to travel more, it'll help bring out the same sense of "adventure" as the first series. It's a good chance to show how the world changed since Aang... And I hope Iroh lives up to his name, really looking foward to that.
I think this series is even more enjoyable. While I'm a big sucker for RPG-style epic journies like in the original show, the series has grown up a little bit and that has really driven it over the top for me. I know it's a minor detail, but the difference in character ages has influenced the mood. Also, Amon is a much more interesting villain than Ozai, so far.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 15:19   Link #853
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Meelo

Spoiler for best .gifs ever:
You sir, win.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 15:52   Link #854
ellifeedn
Thinker

So, speculation on how the season will end. One scenario I came up with (doesn't mean I want it to happen) is that Amon wins, takes away all the bending, and is declared the supreme ruler of Republic City. Then he declares war on the spirits, claiming that they are the ones who gave people bending and are the cause of all the misfortune in the world.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 16:57   Link #855
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
So, speculation on how the season will end. One scenario I came up with (doesn't mean I want it to happen) is that Amon wins, takes away all the bending, and is declared the supreme ruler of Republic City. Then he declares war on the spirits, claiming that they are the ones who gave people bending and are the cause of all the misfortune in the world.
Something we got from interviews with the creators
Spoiler:

besides, Amon claims to be on the side of the of the spirits as he claims he got his power from them.
Old 2012-06-18, 18:10   Link #856
Eratas123

Okay, the kids taking out equalist mooks was just damn silly. They literally stood there and let themselves get hit when they normally have rapid reflexes.
Old 2012-06-18, 20:18   Link #857
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Something we got from interviews with the creators
Spoiler:

besides, Amon claims to be on the side of the of the spirits as he claims he got his power from them.
I was sure it was wrong to begin with (as is many of my speculations), but I can't help but feel that having a second season will influence the end of the first season in some manner.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 21:02   Link #858
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I was sure it was wrong to begin with (as is many of my speculations), but I can't help but feel that having a second season will influence the end of the first season in some manner.
Mako, seeing what an awesome firebender that Iroh is, decides to relocate to the Fire Nation to learn how to be a real fire bender or...

Iroh and his navy, while watching Mako fire bend, thinks that its a joke and suggests that if he wants to be in the same league as the Avatar that he needs to fire bend like them. Mako, upon hearing that he's not all that, takes Iroh on his offer and relocates to the Fire Nation.

Asami and Korra, upon seeng Iroh, decide to loose the wimpy bender and become a part of Iroh's "harem". Fans of the series now think that Zukara has come back as Irorra and hate Asami more.
Old 2012-06-18, 21:15   Link #859
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
lets talk about new surface

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/m...let-announced/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/m...windows-8-pro/

RT is Arm Pro is Intel

personally i am interested in Pro one but total price probably 1500 ish
Definitely not having anything to do with this thread but....

I'm an iPad and MacBook Pro fan.

-----

Too bad Sozin's Comet is not coming back soon. I really want to see some firebender kicking ass. I just hope that Iroh doesn't disappoint us.
Old 2012-06-18, 21:16   Link #860
Child_of_Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Okay, the kids taking out equalist mooks was just damn silly. They literally stood there and let themselves get hit when they normally have rapid reflexes.
My guess is that they honed their fighting style against earth, water and fire benders.

Those types are ubiquitous and their elemental moves easy to see. This was probably the first time most of Amon's henchmen had to fight an airbender. The surprise attack coupled with the difference in style threw them off long enough to be defeated.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra