AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-03, 11:21   Link #3181
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Now let's make sure it isn't forgotten when the Animesuki Awards for 2010 get voted on...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 13:24   Link #3182
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Now let's make sure it isn't forgotten when the Animesuki Awards for 2010 get voted on...
I agree, I hope we can gather a good amount of fans for this show in order to vote for it. Getting it nominated would be the first step though, right? I've never been involved with the awards

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 13:26   Link #3183
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Sorry guys, but the way things are going, I'm set on being a Durarara!! fanboy for the awards (though Cross Game will obviously get my vote for best sport anime)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 13:46   Link #3184
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Well it's a show from 2009...
Old 2010-04-03, 13:49   Link #3185
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It still counts. Any anime that ends in 2010 counts (Wait, didn't you vote, last year?)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 13:55   Link #3186
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It still counts. Any anime that ends in 2010 counts (Wait, didn't you vote, last year?)
Yes i did vote last year, though when it comes to best show of 2010, i wouldn't nominate Cross Game with it being a show from 2010, plus i have no idea what else could be released later in the year. It's just my personally take on things, that's all.
Old 2010-04-03, 15:16   Link #3187
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
There was a dustup about this last year. I proposed nominating Cross Game for 2009 but the rules say that an anime belongs to the year it ends in. So even if the majority of Cross Game aired during 2009 and everyone probably thinks of it as a 2009 anime, it is only eligible for the 2010 awards when most people would forget it. So I guess it's screwed either way

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 15:45   Link #3188
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
There was a dustup about this last year. I proposed nominating Cross Game for 2009 but the rules say that an anime belongs to the year it ends in. So even if the majority of Cross Game aired during 2009 and everyone probably thinks of it as a 2009 anime, it is only eligible for the 2010 awards when most people would forget it. So I guess it's screwed either way
Not if we make sure it isn't, it isn't! I agree, the rules are screwy - but I didn't make 'em. If they say CG is a 2010 series than that's the way to play the game.
Old 2010-04-03, 16:11   Link #3189
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

If nothing marvelous comes up untill the vote, this series will definitively have mine.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 18:24   Link #3190
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It probably has to be something downright awesome for my vote not to be Cross Game.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 22:05   Link #3191
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Quote:
i have no idea what else could be released later in the year.
My main dilemma is that the Hōrō Musuko anime comes out in September. If it is only 13 episodes long, it will count as part of the 2010 batch.
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 00:32   Link #3192
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

OK, watched the first episode again. Knowing what I know, it was interesting to say the least. Some observations:

- Nakanishi looks exactly the same at 18 as he does at 10 years old.
- For me, the most affecting moment (as then) was seeing Akaishi in tears at the close of the episode.
- The entire episode's impact is surprisingly undiminished by foreknowledge. It still packs a mean punch.
- We see in the first episode how little Kou changed, in many ways - his reaction to Waka's death is so very true to the nature he would display throughout the entire series.
- Momiji's reaction to Waka-chan's death is odd - surprisingly unmoved. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to remember a time when she showed profound sadness about the event.
- The first ED remains my favorite. It's a masterpiece, but especially in the extended version in the first episode.

I look forward to watching the entire series again with experienced eyes. I don't know how quickly I'll move through it - I suspect at a leisurely pace, savoring it as I go.

EDIT: I did a search and can proudly say this was my 251st (!) post on this thread. I feel fairly confident that's a record for me. It was interesting re-reading the reactions to the first episode, especially my own. I have to say my sense of things was pretty accurate, and indeed the reaction of the board as a whole to the quality of 01 was a collective "Wow!".
Old 2010-04-04, 01:04   Link #3193
Theowne
耳をすませば

Oh right, that reminds me, the Cross Game manga thread is no longer a spoiler minefield. Time to go see what you folks were up to all this time....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 02:04   Link #3194
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Just finished it... loved the ending!!! I was worried that they were going to drop the ball or something at the end, but it was a beautiful ending. Despite it [the ending] being somewhat predictable, it was extremely satisfying, to say the least, to see all the tension resolved. I will probably write a detailed review later, but here's the bottom line: this show is excellent, from start to finish!

What an ending for Kou and Aoba!
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 02:23   Link #3195
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitagiIsHot View Post
Just finished it... loved the ending!!! I was worried that they were going to drop the ball or something at the end, but it was a beautiful ending. Despite it [the ending] being somewhat predictable, it was extremely satisfying, to say the least, to see all the tension resolved. I will probably write a detailed review later, but here's the bottom line: this show is excellent, from start to finish!

What an ending for Kou and Aoba!
One aspect of the ending that I really liked but after re-watching 01 realized I'd never commented on - Kou's heroics with the bat. After all, long before he ever played "catch ball" he was setting HR records at Clover - and he was the only one able to hit Akaishi's 100 KMH fastball as a 10-year old. I'm a sucker for moments like that - whenever Goro did something heroic with the bat in Major it always gave me a thrill, too. I'm glad Adachi resolved the Ryou game that way.
Old 2010-04-04, 02:26   Link #3196
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Cross Game = Hands down the best slice of life I have ever seen
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 02:29   Link #3197
Ottocycle

Quote:
One aspect of the ending that I really liked but after re-watching 01 realized I'd never commented on - Kou's heroics with the bat. After all, long before he ever played "catch ball" he was setting HR records at Clover - and he was the only one able to hit Akaishi's 100 KMH fastball as a 10-year old. I'm a sucker for moments like that - whenever Goro did something heroic with the bat in Major it always gave me a thrill, too. I'm glad Adachi resolved the Ryou game that way.
Personally, I thought that was his way of telling those in the cast in the know (the Tsukishima family, Akaishi, Nakanishi and most importantly himself) that he was the record holder at bat over at the Tsukishima batting centre. While he was proudly declaring that fact over in the first episode, this time, he does it through that act with the token, which is how a man expresses himself - through his actions. I just wish the staff could have used a few more seconds to linger upon it back in episode 49 for all the impact that it could have had compared to the manga.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 02:30   Link #3198
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Momiji's reaction to Waka-chan's death is odd - surprisingly unmoved
One barely understands the concept of death when one is 5 years old. I guess it would be a few days till she would start wondering "so, after all the fuzz, where is Waka-nee?.

In that respect they handled this very well.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 02:41   Link #3199
poko-kun

Spoiler for cross game #51:
Old 2010-04-04, 02:49   Link #3200
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
One barely understands the concept of death when one is 5 years old. I guess it would be a few days till she would start wondering "so, after all the fuzz, where is Waka-nee?.

In that respect they handled this very well.
Yes, grieving is handled differently by not only each individual but by children as well. I must agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
Spoiler for cross game #51:
Ano...April Fools has passed already and this was a pretty harsh joke I've deeply wounded

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports