AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 8 12.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 18.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 45.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 15.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-13, 05:12   Link #81
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Got to say, it was really meta watch that the last comment in this subforum was made by Dekomori Sanae
It's not the real Deko without "death" at the end of every sentence.
Old 2014-01-13, 10:58   Link #82
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
It's not the real Deko without "death" at the end of every sentence.
In season 1, Deko was sort of cured of her chuunibyou. She gave up her twin-tails and spoke normally. Now that we're in season 2, it seems the characters either regressed back to their chunnibyou ways or some parts of season 1 never happened.
Old 2014-01-13, 11:16   Link #83
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
In season 1, Deko was sort of cured of her chuunibyou. She gave up her twin-tails and spoke normally. Now that we're in season 2, it seems the characters either regressed back to their chunnibyou ways or some parts of season 1 never happened.
No, she wasn't.
She gave it a thought after what Yuuta told her, so she sort of tried to act normally, but she never put her chuuni tendencies away.

Back in episode 12, she helped Yuuta with her usual self. likewise, during the christmas OVA, she was the usual dekomori.
It isn't like she "regressed", she actually considered using a normal self when in need, be it at the end of S1, or during the entrance ceremony.

Every chuuni characters kept their progressions, while ex chuuni are less extreme in their "anti chuuni" measures (Yuuta uses his DFM at his advantage in a more natural fashion than before, Shinka is far less agressive towards chuuni antics and rather try to fix her own image, Tohka tags along now).
Old 2014-01-13, 11:27   Link #84
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
In Season 1, Rikka's chuunibyou was largely a way for her to cope with the loss of her father. Deko's chuunibyou was at least partly to support her friend Rikka in this regard, and so Deko never took off the chuuni mask (since Rikka never did). The problem was that Rikka was taking it to an extreme that was causing serious family issues, and not allowing her to properly move on from her father's death.

Now that Rikka has truly come to terms with her father's passing, her chuunibyou (and the chuunibyou of her friends) is just there for fun and good times. That, and it's now an engrained part of her personality, for good or for ill.

Dekomori and Yuuta are now both able to turn their Chuuni personas on and off at will, because its a lighthearted playful thing now, and no longer part of something as serious as helping a friend deal with a great personal loss. This isn't a regression, but instead a progression. They're not denying a core part of their personality, but they're recognizing it for what it's best for - self-expression for pure fun and shits and giggles.
Old 2014-01-13, 11:29   Link #85
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Did I just hear an anime character talk about regulation length skirts?
Old 2014-01-14, 12:18   Link #86
Shadow5YA

Quote:
She always could speak normally. Remember that she is an honor student.

The only reason Dekomori did that to Yuuta was to teach him a lesson.
Old 2014-01-14, 12:36   Link #87
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Not even nibutani shinka (best girl) can save this show for me, I'll give it one more episode before I drop it, unless the next episode will be all about nibutani.

I have the feeling that if they've already resolved everything about rikka's issues with her father, she would have returned to normal, even dekomori if she really is just doing this chuunibyou thing for rikka, but noooo, they just had to continue playing their fantasy roles because we all know this show wouldn't be that interesting without those battles, which for me is a really lazy explanation for why they're still doing those things.

That's also why the ending of s1 was really bad for me, they already had the chance to slowly help rikka become normal again, instead yuuta encouraged her to continue acting out her fantasy, because apparently it is moe.

I could go on and on but I'll stop now
Old 2014-01-14, 12:55   Link #88
Aimop95

SOOOOO...people are complaining about a show that revolves around 8th grade syndrome, and hate it because it revolves around 8th grade syndrome?

What? Did you guys not want to watch a show about Rikka's unique personality?

I loved it.
Old 2014-01-14, 19:04   Link #89
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
Not even nibutani shinka (best girl) can save this show for me, I'll give it one more episode before I drop it, unless the next episode will be all about nibutani.

I have the feeling that if they've already resolved everything about rikka's issues with her father, she would have returned to normal, even dekomori if she really is just doing this chuunibyou thing for rikka, but noooo, they just had to continue playing their fantasy roles because we all know this show wouldn't be that interesting without those battles, which for me is a really lazy explanation for why they're still doing those things.
They're doing these things because they enjoy it, and it's not hurting them or anybody else. It's not hurting their social life, because they have each other.

Something like 8th grade syndrome is only bad if you let it completely consume your life. But as something you playfully engage in from time-to-time (as Yuuta does), I don't see the harm in it.

Plus, as you say yourself, this show wouldn't be that interesting without the chuuni. It would be a pretty generic slice of high school life show without the chuuni. The chuuni is the necessary spice to add a good entertaining flavor to the show, imo.
Old 2014-01-14, 19:53   Link #90
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:

That's also why the ending of s1 was really bad for me, they already had the chance to slowly help rikka become normal again, instead yuuta encouraged her to continue acting out her fantasy, because apparently it is moe.
Channeling Sousuke Aizen, "Since when are you under the delusion that being delusional is a sickness that must be cured?"
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-01-15, 09:51   Link #91
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Besides, isn't this season going to be about how to improve Yuuta's and Rikka's romantic relationship with each other considering it stagnated badly?
Old 2014-01-15, 11:08   Link #92
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Besides, isn't this season going to be about how to improve Yuuta's and Rikka's romantic relationship with each other considering it stagnated badly?
I was under the impression that this season is about the tension between yuuta, rikka and the new girl they're showing in the OP, but I might be wrong.

Quote:
"Since when are you under the delusion that being delusional is a sickness that must be cured?"
that's why nibutani is the best girl, she's already cured. Kumin doesn't count since she's there just to take a nap and never had the syndrome in the first place.

Quote:
Something like 8th grade syndrome is only bad if you let it completely consume your life. But as something you playfully engage in from time-to-time (as Yuuta does), I don't see the harm in it.
yuuta yes, rikka no, her reaction to her classmates and her teacher, while showing a certain degree of "adapting" to normal life, also shows that she's still incapable of at least faking to be normal as required in certain circumstances (like dekomori when she was addressing the school)

and also yes, this series won't be as interesting without all the chuunibyou, but their explanation as to why it's still there when the source of the behavior was already resolved in s1, and suddenly everyone is ok with rikka still acting the way she is, is kind of lazy for me.

or maybe I'm just saying all of this because nibutani is the best girl and I desperately want her to be the MC
Old 2014-01-15, 11:13   Link #93
SeanJD

I have finally got to watch this episode and I missed seeing Rikka and the others back. I have to say the chuuni battle with Touka was awesome and it was fuuny seeing their delusions go wild when facing her. There was no way Rikka would be able to live by herself especially that Touka went to go to Italy. Yuuta is going to have some problems going with his realtionship with Rikka since his last confession. The light novel was different but I won't spoil for those who haven't read it yet. Anyway, I find Dekomori as laughable as ever when she makes Nibutani look like an idiot for still calling her Mori Summer. I love the ED sequence but the OP felt lacking in some ways that I was sort of disappointed. It was an enjoyable episode and I look forward to see what happens next.
Old 2014-01-19, 05:36   Link #94
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post

No, because it's an essential part of her personality, and taking it away from her makes her into something she's not. Besides, pretty much everyone has learned that you can change and still fool around from time to time.

The only person who hasn't come to terms with her past is Shinka. She tries to hide it by changing her looks and general demeanor, but this is merely an act that she can't keep up, especially not when Sanae (who is perhaps the most normal of them all, given that she has no problem switching back and forth between being delusional and perfectly normal) keeps reminding her that she too needs to embrace her past self, not fight against it.

Shinka is conflicted between wanting to be the most popular girl in school (which is why she was in the cheerleader club), and having fun with her closest friends. This conflict of interest is what prevents her from embracing Mori Summer as part of who she really is, and that needs to change for her to grow more as a character.

Yuuta has accepted his past, and now uses it without much embarrassment; Shinka still has a long way to go. I hope that, once Yuuta and Rikka's relationship really progresses, she too will learn that it's okay to have fun and that change doesn't mean changing your entire self.

And besides, the whole fantasy thing is what made the show so successful. Why would you want to change that? I would rather have Rikka still acting like a total idiot, then her being a typical high school girl, of which I can see so many in every other anime. The chuunibyou gimmick makes the show stand out from the many generic shows out there; that sounds like a good thing to me.
Old 2014-01-20, 10:05   Link #95
KLGChaos
The Shermain

My feelings remain unchanged from the first season about Rikka's chuunibyou-- she needs to know when the turn it off. Having fun and fantasizing is great, I do it all the time as a table top gamer. But it would be like a LARPer never dropping character. They'd never be able to fit into society.

Having fun is one thing, not knowing when to turn it off is another. In the first season, it was connected to dealing with her father's death and she took it to the extreme in denial, which is unhealthy. The fact that she hasn't changed at all from it tells me she still has some deep-seeded problems.

Just wait until she can't get a job because of her syndrome or they take her kids away because she acts like they're in some fantasy land and they end up in danger. Growing up doesn't mean giving up all the childish things we like to do. Hell, it's entrenched in my own geekdom. But it does mean having to know when there's time for play and when there's time for seriousness. Rikka's problem is that she tends to ignore the latter and it causes problems-- not just for herself, but for others as well. I don't expect her to give it up completely, but being in chuunibyou mode all the time isn't good for her.

Though the over the top battle scenes are always funny.
Old 2014-02-10, 22:16   Link #96
kitten320

I forgot how much I actually enjoyed season 1.

Have to love how hard Nibutani tries to hide and deny her past and personality