AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 18 Rating
Perfect 10 21 58.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 22.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 8.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-05-06, 22:54   Link #21
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
And fighting him will probably be a one sided slaughter-fest.
Followed by Aleister jobbing to Laura Stuart.

Remember, we're on NT, where Magic Gods were introduced only to job to Kamisato, only to job to Yuiitsu.
Kamachi, just end this. I don't think you're completely into this series anymore.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 00:54   Link #22
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsurin View Post
...and literally no one raises their hand.

It was rather obvious from the way that Laura and Aiwass kept their game much more well-hidden than Aleister that he wouldn't be the ultimate boss. It comes off as hardly a surprise, I just hope Kamachi will know better than to set up some crap for the real last boss and finale of the story when Aleister would've been fine.

I mean, I would've liked Aleister being the final boss as early OT had hinted, but when does this series ever does anything I like anyway?
The problem isn't the end but how it's done thus why I used that exact phrase.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 00:59   Link #23
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiharaRonin View Post
I know I'll be attacked for this and I bet this is gonna be an awesome volume but I have to address this. People are overhyping this volume because it starts of the Aleister Arc. Sure, Aleister has been planning for awhile and yes it's been a long wait but seriously.

I'm glad you said your opinion and i respect you and your opinion but the plot barely goes anywhere in this PV, the characters have the same personality as usual, and I don't see an action in this preview. Most of it is comedy or stuff we already know. You're not the only person. Every forum that discusses this series has people hyping this because it's the Aleister Arc. My favorite are the one's who say this will be the final arc which makes them even more hyped yet if their favorite long lasting series actually ended they'd probably be sad. I respect everyone's opinions and I'm not saying don't get hyped at all. I'm saying go in to this volume with an open minded knowing this is Kamachi's story and he's writing it the way he wants. He isn't writing a note to God, he has just decided he's reached the perfect spot to tackle Aleister. Maybe, this volume will be the best but we can't treat it like Zelda fans treated Ocarina of Time when the volume doesn't release for 4 days and we probably won't see more pages get translated until after that. So just please keep open about this but don't over hype it. If it doesn't end up living up to your hype as alex_drian said in his own unique way, you'll feel sad and disappointed just as others feel after hype for a supposed Index III announcement.
You're putting Kamachi on too high of a pedestal IMO. Read the author notes, he's just a human (at least he thinks so). He isn't god.

I'm excited for this volume because of the PV. My comment wasn't overhyping things. I spent an hour reading the prologue... yes more than an hour on those few lines. This is because I was aware that he put lots of symbolism in there on purpose. I found it quite interesting to be honest, and a lot of it is still murky, but it is sure to become more clear as this novel progresses.

IMO there are a lot of reasons why I like this volume more than usual. For one, the fanservice has been reduced. Two, Tsuchimikado is back and his character interactions with Touma were pretty interesting. For one, I was interested in the trust between the two of them and Touma's personality where he feels no need to ask for more details since he expects Tsuchimikado to know what he's doing and since he trusts him. Three, the part about how wearing less makes you stronger was f'ing hilarious. Four, in the short prologue itself, I was extremely excited because we were given a ton of information. I really enjoyed the way it was handled. It was surprising cause it made Aleister seem really different than the old image we had of him, but a lot of the specific things said there were quite interesting IMO... The thing that interested me most about the prologue were the specific quotes that were chosen and interspersed within the text. It was interesting figuring out why those were the important ones that were telling the relevant parts of the story. It's quite clear that those weren't just randomly picked by Kamachi. The themes are heavy and deep and this time around the symbolism is quite deep. My favorite aspect is how we're finally tackling Aleister and his goals. We've been waiting for this for forever. I hyped NT 9 to death, and it was better than I expected, and I expect this to far surpass NT 9 so meh. I've never been disappointed so far, so I'm not worried at all. Based on all of the elements we've got so far, I really am excited for this novel. Maybe you weren't as impressed as I was, but the evaluation I gave in my previous post, I still feel the same way right now even after time has passed since reading it.

To be precise, the fact that Tsuchimikado and Frau couldn't tell Kamijou something and he was okay with it and now we're finally getting into the real details behind everything going on, I'm quite excited. Also, the other reason I was really excited became obvious... Kamachi just now had a section about how it's extremely hard to get out of AC and that people can get shot at by site and etc. Well if we think back to OT 4... when they went to the beach and back in pre OT 1 when Index must have entered AC, something else must have been the case instead. So my suspicions are that ... this is implying that there's an important secret--soon to be relevant detail about Index that we're going to learn.

Moreover, some other things I noticed that made me excited which were more than enough sufficient reason for hype... the person who died was Aleister's first daughter... emphasis on first... I think it might be implying he has another one. And... the fact that both Aleister and Laura are end-game fuels my weird speculation that Index is their kid or something somehow. Well either way, I was mostly just happy getting confirmation on Aleister's M.O. The reason I like it is that it reminds me of something else that I'm really interested in, and it's the only time I've ever seen a character in fiction portrayed like that so I'm really excited to see if he's going to handle it right. So far, he's doing it. But I'm really excited because right now Aleister is finally being explored and I love what we've been shown about him so far in the prologue. I'm interested in his goals, his plan, his motivations, and his ideals moving forward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Raise your hands if you thought Aleister Crowley was the end game.
Hmm... I think he will be the end game, but only after he stops being the end-game for a bit. I might be wrong, but it seems possible. He seems too mad and obsessed for anything else to be a possibility. Don't forget that Last Order hasn't been ... touched by him in a long while. Either way, I think Aleister is interesting... his personality is so different from Touma's ATM that I don't feel like Touma can say much to him about anything really...

All I expect to happen this volume is for Aleister to be temp suppressed by them as they escape, but I fully expect him not to lose.

Quote:
...and literally no one raises their hand.

It was rather obvious from the way that Laura and Aiwass kept their game much more well-hidden than Aleister that he wouldn't be the ultimate boss. It comes off as hardly a surprise, I just hope Kamachi will know better than to set up some crap for the real last boss and finale of the story when Aleister would've been fine.

I mean, I would've liked Aleister being the final boss as early OT had hinted, but when does this series ever does anything I like anyway?
I agree with what you've had to say about Laura I guess. But I disagree with your evaluation about Aleister. The prologue literally spelled it out. The difference between Aleister and the others is that he doesn't have serial plans, he has parallel plans. It doesn't matter if you know everything that he's doing. He uses his failures and what you know against you. For him, taking any actions at all, no matter how dumb they look, means stepping closer towards his goal, cause he's getting more information for his next step... I think this is going to be the cornerstone of what ends up happening. Aleister is "human," but even if that's true now... that doesn't mean it'll always be true... or maybe because he is "human" he's even stronger... Index does show that individuals are strong after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
It's just the cycle of a new volume dropping, right now people might be praising it out of pure head canon alone but after they read it it's going to be "the worst volume yet" or something.
Eh, I never join in with that. I complain when people do that. I love all the new volumes. I fully expect this one to surpass NT 9. My expectations are really high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

Remember, we're on NT, where Magic Gods were introduced only to job to Kamisato, only to job to Yuiitsu.
Kamachi, just end this. I don't think you're completely into this series anymore.
I don't know why you get that vibe. I felt that a little bit, a while back, but this volume feels completely different from the usual, it felt way better. Well, to each their own, I guess.

Also, I fully expect Aleister to not be as weak as you people think. But I guess we'll just have to see.

Also, is anyone else dreading that future moment which is sure to come where some doujin author will create a doujin with a panel at the end joking that Aleister drew the doujin to let off some steam and make fun of the people in it since they've been pissing him off in-verse and giving his plans trouble?

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 02:32   Link #24
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

The following thoughts keep repeating in my mind:

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-05-07, 07:05   Link #25
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
The following thoughts keep repeating in my mind:

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Yeah, I had those thoughts too while reading the prologue. I was like wow this is either going to be the best thing ever... or underwhelming. Hoping for the former. Also, lol, #6's identity is irrelevant. We're never finding out.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 07:51   Link #26
KiharaRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiken View Post
Also, I'll probably turn out being wrong about it, but for some reason, I can't help but feel this is the one time Touma is going to fail to save anyone at all (Basically, Motoharu is going to die, and possibly Fran too.) Aleister is an entirely different entity than anything that Kamijou has ever faced at this point, well, besides the magic gods of course. But even they held themselves back most of the time. Aleister won't. That is what makes him different than everyone else. There is just absolutely no way to reason with him, so nothing Touma says is going to change his mind. And fighting him will probably be a one sided slaughter-fest.
I too think this volume at least will be a one sided fight but for Touma and not Aleister. Many enemies have stock piled in front of Aleister and he's wasted so much time dealing with them. He wants Tsuchimikado and Fran dead but there is no harm in their escape. My theory is Aleister is holding back and trying to act as though he isn't. As Tsuchimikado said, Kamijou is the cornerstone of his plan. He will try to trick Kamijou and the others into thinking he's putting up a fight so they don't see through him. The fight will probably be him using the Blasting Rod to fight Touma while he tries to convince Touma to join him. Touma will beat Aleister but feel that it was way to easy. Tsuchimikado and Fran will leave with Maika while, Touma, Index, and Othinus will return home. Remember, no one raiding the Windowless Building is doing it to stop Aleister's plan. It's all too save Maika. Touma will probably (similar to Accelerator in the end of NT6) will become curious about Aleister's plan. Meanwhile, with no enemies insight, Aleister will begin preparations for his plan. Only later on when he sees Touma will truly not tolerate his plans will he actually go beast on him. That's my theory but think about it, why would Aleister do anything to anger Touma without first trying to get him to believe in his plan? That would be like getting captured by an enemy and betraying the one person who can get you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

Actually Kamachi loves this series more than any other he has written. That's why he keeps making new Manga Side Stories. That's why there's 42 Main line Volumes, many short stories, Volume SP, four anime seasons, four BD novels, a movie with a tie in novel, many video games, a Virtual-On crossover novel with a tie in video game, and definitely why he advertises the series anyway he could and promotes it with large amounts of content for every anniversary. The Manga is far behind and yet he keeps it going because he loves this story. Everytime something occurs which can end the story, he introduces something within that plot line that will continue it. This series has become a phenomenon and Kamachi loves these characters and this universe and doesn't wanna let them go. In fact, I bet when the main story ends, he'll go the Boruto route. He loves this series more than ever right now and introducing powerful enemies who can overpower what was previously seen as the past, shows he's not ready to end it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
You're putting Kamachi on too high of a pedestal IMO. Read the author notes, he's just a human (at least he thinks so). He isn't god.
You're right he isn't God. That's exactly why he will not conform to your desires nor my desires nor anyones. He is his own person and he will write this story in the order he sees fit. Yes he aims to outdo himself each time but he isn't a God. He writes the story not to get better each time but to do what he thinks comes next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Also, lol, #6's identity is irrelevant. We're never finding out.
Touma has a habit with getting caught up with Level 5s and has teamed up with each one except #6. I doubt we'll never learn who it is and what their power is. After all...
Spoiler for Irrelevant made relevant:

Last edited by KiharaRonin; 2017-05-07 at 09:15.
KiharaRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 10:01   Link #27
Loremaster
He who writes too much.

Yes please don't screw it up, Kamachi. For once I'm really excited for this light novel's developments, to get some bloody answers that should've occurred many novels ago. Better late then never I guess and here we go.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 10:05   Link #28
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Anyone seen those spoiler pics? Coz, hoo-boy, we are in for quite a volume.
Old 2017-05-09, 10:08   Link #29
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Spoiler for dodged bullet:
Old 2017-05-09, 10:09   Link #30
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Remember to leave any possible spoilers in spoiler tags until the novel is translated.
Old 2017-05-09, 10:11   Link #31
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

You have my sincerest apologies, Hiss13, but I'm claiming that sweet Touma avatar material.

Are we finally there? Are we going to finally have proper plot development without dragging on? These illustrations are giving me hope I just know I shouldn't have.
Old 2017-05-09, 10:11   Link #32
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Boy imagine waking up to these spoilers...
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 10:14   Link #33
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Since when Laura was laughing at Aleister? NT15 was it?

Hope Laura is ok, laughing too much is bad for the lungs and her sides.

Avoiding spoilers it seems this is going to be 2-volumes arc. It might even be 3.
Old 2017-05-09, 10:20   Link #34
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Well, color me excited.

Quote:
You have my sincerest apologies, Hiss13, but I'm claiming that sweet Touma avatar material.

You've betrayed me, Nats~
Old 2017-05-09, 10:38   Link #35
salamander750

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
Well, color me excited.

You've betrayed me, Nats~
Exactly which sweat Touma material are you guys talking about?
salamander750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 10:39   Link #36
salamander750

Man I hope Kamachi won't screw up this volume. Oh and you guys have seen all the spoiler pics right?
salamander750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 12:57   Link #37
LazyHunter

I'll probably try to avoid any further spoilers, but there are some interesting illustrations in the volume.
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 13:11   Link #38
Callum18
Fukou da

Well, this is going to be one wild ride.

If anyone would like to join the To Aru Index Skype fan club. Please do PM me (:.
Callum18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 19:24   Link #39
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Spoiler for Spoilers:
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 19:51   Link #40
KiharaRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMancer View Post
Spoiler for Spoilers:
Are you serious. It wasn't false hype then. Can you say more?
KiharaRonin is offline   Reply With Quote