AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of phone do you use?
Smartphone (iOS) 14 20.59%
Smartphone (Android) 27 39.71%
Smartphone (Other) 6 8.82%
Feature phone 6 8.82%
Non-feature dumbphone 13 19.12%
No mobile phone at all 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-25, 11:29   Link #41
kaitok
Inspired Musician

Sony Ericcson 12 keypad Walkman phone FTW!!!!
Old 2011-12-25, 13:38   Link #42
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Anyone remember PDAs, beepers? All rolled into one now.
I remember them although I avoided getting one because I commuted by train to university each day, so I always had my bag with a laptop in it. I think if I had lived on campus I might have gotten a PDA as a lightweight device, but as I had my laptop with me at all times it didn't make sense.

One of my friends had good fun playing pocket Age of Empires (muted) in lectures where he already knew the material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I go to bed with it. Is that bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I call mine Marisa because she is hardworking and draws the attention of any girl I meet.
Quote:
I call her... uh... Desire?

I think you guys need to wait for the life-like robots to turn up before you become too 'attached' to your gadgets .
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 13:49   Link #43
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They've become like this?
Old 2011-12-25, 14:05   Link #44
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

^ That's basically what Siri is...except her listening skills could be better
Old 2011-12-25, 14:39   Link #45
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Nono, Siri is either this
http://www.dilbert.com/2011-12-16/
or that
http://www.dilbert.com/2011-12-17/
depending on it's mood I guess.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 17:10   Link #46
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
I go to bed with it. Is that bad?
For your health yes

MIne is a Samsung Wave. So the OS is Bada
Old 2011-12-25, 17:52   Link #47
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I only ever use my cellphone for the sake of calling the very few friends that I have, work related things (mainly job interviews, which I don't expect to have for another while), and mostly so to keep in touch with my family. Other than that, I don't feel the need for a cellphone, so I can do without all the thousands of millions of features that a smartphone offers.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 18:39   Link #48
Mentar
Banned

To be real honest, the iPhone is a nifty invention. If only it was properly usable as a FRIGGEN PHONE. Compared to my old dumbphones which I had for many years, its reliability, reception and speech quality it is MASSIVELY worse. Which annoys me to no end.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 18:49   Link #49
Lost Cause

I recently upgraded to a iPhone4S and am amazed at its speed, matter of fact it has all but replaced my laptop for browseing the net and watching videos.
You can buy a flash player from the app store for $3.99, and there are a lot of iPhone dedicated sites that support it's video playback system.
As for reception, mines always been crystal clear, both phone wise and other wise.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 21:39   Link #50
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
To be real honest, the iPhone is a nifty invention. If only it was properly usable as a FRIGGEN PHONE. Compared to my old dumbphones which I had for many years, its reliability, reception and speech quality it is MASSIVELY worse. Which annoys me to no end.
I supposed that you used a Motorola DynaTAC before.

Quote:
I call her... uh... Desire?
What kind of lame name is that? At least call her Elise Lutas or something!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 21:56   Link #51
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I supposed that you used a Motorola DynaTAC before.

What kind of lame name is that? At least call her Elise Lutas or something!
Rosebud.

"It was his phone."

Old 2011-12-25, 22:09   Link #52
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
The "for want of notepad thread" reminded me that smartphones aren't everywhere just yet.

Do you use a smartphone or a dumbphone?

Final question for those of us lucky enough to live in Japan. I think QR codes originated in Japan, since QR codes are generally associated with smartphones, am I correct to assume that smartphones are very popular over there?
Is that what young americans are calling it now, 'dumbphone'?

I have a normal mobile phone, Japanese one. I can send/receive emails and make/receive calls.
Does me fine as a mobile phone.
When I want to stroke a screen all damn day, I'll turn to my laptop
But I prefer the sensation of buttons which register effectively my key presses, something i can do without being restrained to stare at the screen when I type, something that's a loss with touch screen technology now.

Smart phones are getting popular in Japan due to the fun, commercial aspect. People are getting them for the sake of getting them cause it's popular (a 9 year old got an ipad for Christmas I saw yesterday, and I'm wondering what does she need one for, when she has all the latest DS and PSP handheld consoles)

However since Japan developed it's own system here, smartphones are actually not blending in culturally well, almost everyone has 2 mobiles, a smartphone and a regular because many shops and services rely on the QR code or mobile membership system and iphones do not recognise those well or no application has been made for it actually.

Also all commercial and public service websites in Japan have a mobile phone application for Japanese mobiles, not American made smartphones (another major cause of contention for business men as I found out, having a foreign market 'steal' their customers in the world of electronics and technology)

A lot of mobile application companies are also re writing software to be displayed and used for smartphones too (Tokyo Metro being one of the latest companies now), so very busy period for programmers over here, but most who have a smartphone also have a regular phone as it's tied to too many services in Japan (travel, shopping, etc), in the form of e-money, so in a sense it becomes inconvenient.

PS: What's a feature phone?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 22:40   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Actually, this thread is the first I've heard that term used. It seems just a natural bit of ironic slang since "smartphones" aren't really smart at all ... well, maybe they're smart to market drones

PS: What's a feature phone?[/QUOTE]
Its a marketing term (actually meaningless if you think about it). It really is just a trendy term for phones that don't have "data services/internet" but have voice, mp3, text, calendar, calculator, etc.
Old 2011-12-25, 22:43   Link #54
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its a marketing term (actually meaningless if you think about it). It really is just a trendy term for phones that don't have "data services/internet" but have voice, mp3, text, calendar, calculator, etc.
So its just a modern phone then basically?
Old 2011-12-25, 23:12   Link #55
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
That's what I hear a lot of my friends and coworkers calling them. Its not a smartphone, so what is it?

Quote:
However since Japan developed it's own system here, smartphones are actually not blending in culturally well, almost everyone has 2 mobiles, a smartphone and a regular because many shops and services rely on the QR code or mobile membership system and iphones do not recognise those well or no application has been made for it actually.
interesting. thanks for the info!

Quote:
PS: What's a feature phone?
A phone with a lot of extra non-phone features such as a mp3 player, really basic mobile internet browser, etc.

Quote:
Actually, this thread is the first I've heard that term used. It seems just a natural bit of ironic slang since "smartphones" aren't really smart at all ... well, maybe they're smart to market drones
What do you call non-smartphone phones? Dumbphone does sound more like a marketing term trying to get everyone to pay more when I think about it...

Quote:
I think you guys need to wait for the life-like robots to turn up before you become too 'attached' to your gadgets .
I'm not that close with my mobile phone. Its mainly Siri's fault that our relationship hasn't developed more though. She doesn't seem to want to marry me. TT_TT
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-05, 18:45   Link #56
AnimeFan188

A Camera Lens Breakthrough Could See Smartphones
Outperforming DSLRs:

"Thanks to years of refining the manufacturing processes for electronics,
producing these metalenses will be relatively easy and cheap using the
same techniques used for microchips. The other huge advantage is that
these lenses won’t have to be the size of Pringles cans. Once the
technology is perfected, the same lens used in a DSLR could be squeezed
into a smartphone. They say the best camera is the one you have with
you, but soon your smartphone might actually be as good as it gets."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/a-camera-lens-bre...per-1780397803
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-10, 08:46   Link #57
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I've used cellphones primarily for one thing: to contact my family in coordinating outings or for errands and emergencies. My contact list is pretty anemic compared to the gargantuan lists my family has.

Of course, since my phone (a Kata brand whose model I can't remember) has all these features, I just take advantage of all of them:

- I like taking pics during outings, and using the camera to take pics of lists, receipts, and other important things I'm too lazy to remember but need to recall later.
- Music player of course for those long trips.
- And Solitaire and Temple Run for those long queues in banks and other establishments

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-11, 00:14   Link #58
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
... I'm just going to say that I'm probably one of the handful of Americans left who still just has a dumbphone, though I probably should add the "Under 50" demographic as well. My main reason is simple though: I got the phone for free years ago, and I currently like having to only pay about $30 a month. It also helps that A) I don't talk or text all that often (though I swear I'm not a hikkikomori!) and B) Due to being surrounded by trees, any form of cellular reception at home is god-awful

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 22:19   Link #59
AnimeFan188

The Morning After Turkey’s Smart Phone Coup:

"Both sides used smart phones as weapons, and the aftereffects of the
coup attempt will ripple through Turkey and beyond for weeks to come."

"We are now finding that this coup was largely orchestrated using
encrypted smart phone chat app Whatsapp. This was reportedly the
primary form of communication among coup participants. At the same
time, Erdogan’s administration used smart phone tech in a massive
way to counter the military coup. Not only did Erdogan use FaceTime
to speak to his constituents in the hours immediately after the coup
began, telling his supporters to fill the streets and stand up against the
military’s power-grab attempt, but the government also sent out
millions of SMS emergency text messages to everyone in population
centers telling them to do the same.

Erdogan’s call to his supporters to disobey the military’s evocation of
martial law and their demand for people to stay inside was the largest
factor in Erdogan’s political and possibly physical survival. All this
underscores how powerful non-traditional forms of electronic
communication have become during major geo-political and military
conflicts."

See:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...art-phone-coup

=========================

Social Violence Networking:

"This use of social media has led to a new dynamic that bypasses the
"redirecting - calming - slowing" influence of traditional media and the
government. This new dynamic is raw, unfiltered, and fast. It also
radically increases both the likelihood and the intensity of social
violence."

"This roiling dynamic for amplifying social violence is very, very
dangerous. It has the potential to rip the lid off of this country faster
than we can respond."

See:

http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/...nce-media.html

=========================

Are smart phones becoming one of the most politically/socially
influential technologies of the early 21st century?
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 12:29   Link #60
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

I voted feature phone, because I guess my phone has some kind of MP3 player feature (maybe others?) that I've never used and have no intention of using. I own a laptop, man, I don't need internet or anything like that. I just want to be able to call, text, and maybe take some crappy pictures if I happen to not have my actual camera with me.

I think my phone is great. I only have to charge it once a month (if that) despite its age as long as I don't go live in rural areas for days... and I usually live in the citiest city that ever citied in my state, so that's rarely an issue. It also has a super neat double-hinge thing that allows me to have a real keyboard without having to deal with crappy smartphone touch screens. When I first got the phone like... 5 years ago? I was so sure the hinge was just going to explode one day, but I've dropped the thing on extremely hard surfaces from high up and the hinge is just fine.

I kind of hate touch screens since they're just asking to become disgusting messes of finger oils, and they don't seem to like my fingers very much since half the time touching things on them doesn't do anything when I try. Flip phones are really the way to go, anyway, if you ask me, because it protects the screen without some pricy screen protector and butt-dialing is impossible. I'll switch to smart phones when they make one just like my flip phone. And I really mean just like it. The only phone I had before this didn't have the double hinge dealio and I can't stand typing letters with phone numbers, or whatever you call that. So... I'm probably going to be using this phone forever. I'm going to look at my age and contemplate what's gone wrong with the world, now.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.

Last edited by -Antares-; 2016-07-18 at 14:05. Reason: Typos! Get away from me!
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote