AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-26, 15:54   Link #18661
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Weren't people saying Bush and crowd should be taken to the World Court for War Crimes back when he was President? That never happened either.
Old 2011-12-26, 16:12   Link #18662
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Consider what has happened in just the past two weeks. Parliament, where Orban’s Fidesz party holds a two-thirds majority, appointed one of the prime minister’s closest friends to head a newly created judicial body. In that post, Tunde Hando will have the authority to replace 274 judges being forced out of office by another new law, which mandates the retirement of those older than 62. Also leaving is the head of the country’s high court, an independent, because he does not meet a new tenure requirement.That court last week invalidated parts of two of Orban’s neo-authoritarian laws. One allowed his appointees to impose crippling fines on media that fail to observe vague standards of “balance.” The other limited the country to 14 religious denominations; other faiths must win approval by two-thirds of parliament. But the court itself is being packed with new appointees and stripped of much of its authority, so it’s unclear whether the rulings will have any effect.
Parliament, meanwhile, moved on to legislation that abolishes the independence of the central bank. And Orban’s media board denied a new license to a radio station that featured some of the last anti-government commentary on the airwaves.
for those living in Europe, just how bad is it? And what is the great EU going to do about it?

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-12-26 at 16:42.
Old 2011-12-26, 16:41   Link #18663
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's so big, I hadn't heard of it. But were you aware it's the day after Christmas?
Old 2011-12-26, 16:50   Link #18664
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Boxing Day?
Old 2011-12-27, 00:20   Link #18665
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Sadr bloc calls for early elections in Iraq
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BP0PD20111226
Old 2011-12-27, 03:09   Link #18666
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i am really really glad the US never sign on with world court. Its founder might have had the best intentions but now it is nothing more then a bureaucratic drain of public money that worry more about its prestige then getting stuff done.
Did you even READ the article?

It has nothing to do with "prestige", but rather about sensitive material which Serbia has provided to the court, which was then leaked by a French journalist, obviously gained by her former function as speaker of the tribunal.

About "getting stuff done" - since you are obviously so worried about the speed: You are aware that for example Radovan Karadcic was apprehended in 2008 and handed over to the tribunal in October 2009? Or that Ratko Mladic was apprehended in May 2011? Somehow I wonder if you do.

This whole "bureaucratic drain of money" meme is complete BS. I'd easily pay the millions in exchange for having a body AT ALL who prosecutes these kind of crimes. Who else would be able to do so? World Policeman US?

Indictments which lead to a mountain of evidence and literally _thousands_ of witness testimonies do take several years, that's simply how it is. It's not different in any other country which ensures due process. Of course, having a despot declare someone terrorist and locking the suspect up indefinitely without charges does speed things up. But I'd take a system of law over that any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Weren't people saying Bush and crowd should be taken to the World Court for War Crimes back when he was President? That never happened either.
Which is a shame, if you ask me. Bush and his neoconservative PNAC cabal are guilty of war crimes. But alas, in the end, nobody able to do so made the indictment. Then again, nobody indicted Bush in the US either.

Quote:
for those living in Europe, just how bad is it? And what is the great EU going to do about it?
At the moment, massive official protests with the threats of sanctions. That's the problem in young unstable democracies when a ruthless extreme-right dictator-minded guy wins over two thirds of seats in the national parliament - then he can make radical reforms.

There are certain standards in the EU which no member can negate via national laws. Right now, the question is whether or not the changes do just that (it seems pretty obvious to me). Once there is evidence for this in practice, I'm pretty sure something will happen.
Old 2011-12-27, 05:55   Link #18667
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Afghanistan sets ground rules for Taliban
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BP06U20111226
Old 2011-12-27, 06:18   Link #18668
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Afghanistan sets ground rules for Taliban
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BP06U20111226
Watch the Taliban fight Iran next. This looks like a repeat of Vietnam.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-12-27, 08:54   Link #18669
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

"Which is a shame, if you ask me. Bush and his neoconservative PNAC cabal are guilty of war crimes. But alas, in the end, nobody able to do so made the indictment. Then again, nobody indicted Bush in the US either."

Not even Obama, unfortunately, which is why I'm rather skeptical of all politicians, especially the young Turks who think they're going to change the whole system overnight. (Frankly, the main reason I voted for Obama was because I didn't think a Clinton could ever get elected again, not even if she's only a Clinton by marriage.)
Old 2011-12-27, 10:03   Link #18670
Tom Bombadil

Another case study of how not to write news articles.

Faster Train Comes Amid Rail Doubts (From WSJ)

Quote:
A Chinese sword is the inspiration for the country’s newest bullet train. It’s a locomotive designed to whizz passengers two-thirds faster than current maximums, though it remains unclear whether China’s railway passengers are clamoring for speedier trains before answers are provided for what went wrong with a network that is already considered the world’s fastest.

China South Locomotive & Rolling Stock Industry (Group) Corp., or CSR, unveiled a locomotive over the weekend that it said has a design speed of up to 500 kilometers per hour, state media reports said. That compares with the top speed of 300 kilometer per hour China’s trains are now supposed to be running.

Passengers anxious over this year’s tumult on China’s railway – notably a deadly high-speed crash that remains unexplained – may be comforted to know the sword-nosed new train will remain sheathed for some time.
The true nature of the train was never explained. The author then went on to list all the mishaps with the Chinese high speed rails this year, especially with the crash earlier this year.
Only toward the end of the article, he explained that

Quote:
At a ceremony to celebrate the train’s debut, an engineer described it to invited media as a “higher-speed train experimental project” with no timetable for commercial service. One media report said the train will be called the CTT500.
So, it is an experiment project that's not going to enter commercial service. What's all the snide remarks with the passengers? The French has tested trains running at 574.8 km/h. Anybody is concerned?

By the way, it will be called "CIT500", not "CTT500".

The WSJ article continue on to say

Quote:
There is little suggestion in state media that the train has actually made a test run. Photos show the train in various places, though always stationary.
Guess what? In the very link to the Chinese media that the author provided, it says

Quote:
而梁建英介绍,落成仅是阶段性成果,后续工作还有厂内静态系统匹配调试、环线动态调试,最终到高铁线上试验 。
A loose translation: 梁建英(name of a person) explains that completion (of the train) is only one step, the continuing work consists of static tests in the factory, trial runs on circular tracks, and eventual test on high speed rail ways.

In other words: the thing just came down from the assembly line. No body is selling it like it has made any runs.

I guess you need a degree in how to twisting words to get a job in the media.
Old 2011-12-27, 10:13   Link #18671
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
So, it is an experiment project that's not going to enter commercial service. What's all the snide remarks with the passengers? The French has tested trains running at 574.8 km/h. Anybody is concerned?
I would be. Considering the Chinese are vying for faster trains when they already have the fastest service, I'm worried that they're thinking too much about the speed and less about the safety of the train system. Considering they didn't take too long to produce them judging by the article, it sounds even more suspicious.
Old 2011-12-27, 10:21   Link #18672
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

U.S. DISTRICT COURT RULES IRAN BEHIND 9/11 ATTACKS

And I thought it was Iraq Al Quaida...
So they are going to use that event as a reason for yet another war?
The 3rd one, if I'm counting right.

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2011-12-27 at 10:55.
Old 2011-12-27, 10:40   Link #18673
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
U.S. District Judge George B. Daniels ruled yesterday that Iran and Hezbollah materially and directly supported al Qaeda in the September 11, 2001 attacks and are legally responsible for damages to hundreds of family members of 9/11 victims who are plaintiffs in the case.
Among which is my friend. The one who is Egyptian, is living in Egypt, and had a cousin working at the WTC. What I like about these rulings is that they point fingers at muslims when there were muslim victims there as well. It does look like the US wants another war now. Since everyone fighting in Afghanistan returned, it's as if the government wants to give them something to do, so it's giving them Iran. As Saintess said, it's looking like another Vietnam.
Old 2011-12-27, 10:49   Link #18674
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iran warns could stop oil flow if sanctions: IRNA
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BQ0I320111227
That would be more likely to start a war.
Old 2011-12-27, 10:53   Link #18675
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Iran warns could stop oil flow if sanctions: IRNA
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BQ0I320111227
That would be more likely to start a war.
Most people wouldn't consider that war-worthy. Now, obviously it is for the government, but the common person wouldn't consider it to be. Now, how could the government get the people stoked for a war in Iran to get at that sweet, sweet oil... hrmm...

*looks up a few posts*

Well, guess they got that taken care of.
Old 2011-12-27, 11:03   Link #18676
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I would be. Considering the Chinese are vying for faster trains when they already have the fastest service, I'm worried that they're thinking too much about the speed and less about the safety of the train system. Considering they didn't take too long to produce them judging by the article, it sounds even more suspicious.
What you said had been a problem to the Chinese rail industry, especially before the incident. But there is no inherent contradiction between running high speed tests trains and the safety on the commercial lines. In fact the relation is quite the contrary. Suppose that you have two companies: Company A is only capable of producing trains running at 300km/h, and all its trains run at 300km/h; Company B is capable of producing test trains running at 500km/h, but its regular trains also run at 300km/h. Suppose that you are the CEO of a rail line and you want to purchase trains from a company, which one do you choose?

There are reasons that the French and the Japanese test very high speed trains, this one is not that different. It is like concept cars that some auto company produce, I guess.
Old 2011-12-27, 12:11   Link #18677
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You could have stopped the analysis with the "its from WSJ" -- the Wall Street Journal has lost all of its credibility, its simply another Murdoch spin rag. The staff writes hit pieces that advance Rupert's agenda and pander to sentiments that aren't well adapted for actually navigating successfully in the world. I do believe every one of my business friends has dropped their subscription at this point, even the conservative ones It no longer helps them accurately assess the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Another case study of how not to write news articles.

Faster Train Comes Amid Rail Doubts (From WSJ)

I guess you need a degree in how to twisting words to get a job in the media.
Old 2011-12-27, 12:38   Link #18678
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Naama Margolese is a ponytailed, bespectacled second-grader who is afraid of walking to her religious Jewish girls school for fear of ultra-Orthodox extremists who have spat on her and called her a whore for dressing "immodestly."

Her plight has drawn new attention to the simmering issue of religious coercion in Israel, and the increasing brazenness of extremists in the insular ultra-Orthodox Jewish community.

"When I walk to school in the morning I used to get a tummy ache because I was so scared … that they were going to stand and start yelling and spitting," the pale, blue-eyed girl said softly in an interview with The Associated Press Monday. "They were scary. They don't want us to go to the school."
Beit Shemesh's growing ultra-Orthodox population has erected street signs calling for the separation of sexes on the sidewalks, dispatched "modesty patrols" to enforce a chaste female appearance and hurled stones at offenders and outsiders. Walls of the neighborhood are plastered with signs exhorting women to dress modestly in closed-necked, long-sleeved blouses and long skirts.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/s...irl/52240554/1
so did the Saudies inspire the UO or did the UO inspire the Saudies?

Seems to me with so much in common between UO jews, the Taliban, Al Queda they would seem to be natural Allies.
Old 2011-12-27, 13:29   Link #18679
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
so did the Saudies inspire the UO or did the UO inspire the Saudies?

Seems to me with so much in common between UO jews, the Taliban, Al Queda they would seem to be natural Allies.
Extremist zealots all pretty much look alike and are cut from the same psychotic cloth. Its never "good" for the community or individuals when they are able to exert control of any kind. Its perversely interesting how they're all so *terrified* of women...

Its no longer a "lifestyle choice" when one is so insecure about their abusive beliefs that they insist everyone else abide by it.
Old 2011-12-27, 13:34   Link #18680
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
U.S. DISTRICT COURT RULES IRAN BEHIND 9/11 ATTACKS

And I thought it was Iraq Al Quaida...
So they are going to use that event as a reason for yet another war?
The 3rd one, if I'm counting right.
What's particularly rich is that Al Qaida is a _Sunni_ terrorist group. Iran is led by _Shia_. And Sunni and Shia are deadly enemies. We'll see some illustration of that when the civil war in Iraq is gonna flare up again.

But hey, why are we to doubt the findings? *lol* ... letsee how many times 9/11 can be used to justify some more wars? Since Hezbollah is involved, Syria is in it, too, don't forget to invade them too (would be 4th). Nevermind that almost all terrorists were from Saudi-Arabia though. They're best pals.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international