AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-10-03, 19:55   Link #21
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Thumbs up

I'm on the 5th episode and absolutely LOVING it so far.
The part where he puts on a yellow shirt for half a second made me geekgasm hard. ^_^

I gotta say, though...

As much as I just adore Cottonmouth as a villain, his sheer presence, one liners and snap judgements.... the brother is one helluva screw up.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 20:57   Link #22
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Spoiler for above:
Spoiler for episode 13:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
As much as I just adore Cottonmouth as a villain, his sheer presence, one liners and snap judgements.... the brother is one helluva screw up.
Well, you wouldn't be wrong. Keep watching though. (I won't spoil it).
Glad to see you're enjoying it!
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-04, 06:35   Link #23
AntonKutovoi

It was alright. JJ and DD (especially DD) were better, but I enjoyed Luke Cage. Cottonmouth was a good villian (but, once again, not even close to Fisk or Purple Man). Diamondback and Mariah... not so much. Shades was cool, but I guess his role is reserved for a second season or Defenders. Luke himself was simply OK.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-04, 15:03   Link #24
GDB

The second half (from episode 7 onwards) was infinitely better than the first half. Coincidentally, that's when Claire entered the series and became a main focus. However, it's also when the villains stopped acting completely stupid, though Diamondback was almost as bad as Cottonmouth was in the early episodes.

In the end, it feels like the only reason they lost was because they couldn't get their prideful egos out of their asses and just ignore Luke. I easily rate this as the worst of the Marvel Netflix series, but I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say it was bad. Not sure I'd call it good either, though. Especially with how much they shoved race down your throat.

Here's hoping that Iron Fist restores the balance!
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-04, 22:17   Link #25
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
In the end, it feels like the only reason they lost was because they couldn't get their prideful egos out of their asses and just ignore Luke.
But that's the problem with gangsters. They CAN'T let go of their egos, because the ego is part of their power. Gangsters don't really have the means to force money out of people every day, they had to have people giving up money willingly to have it be sustainable. And that means needing to go after those who made a fool out of them.

Granted, Diamondback actually DID have personal reasons to ruin his own career just to go after Luke. But that was shown by having Mariah willing to make a deal with Luke if she had to. Luke was never her personal nemesis, and as such she could justify walking away from him.
Spoiler for mid way point:
Old 2016-10-04, 22:23   Link #26
GDB

That's all well and good that it's reasonably accurate to a gangster's mentality, but it doesn't make for very compelling antagonists. Especially when you try to have them stack up to Fisk and Kilgrave. They didn't even quite feel like they stacked up, as characters, compared to the Hand. Mariah could've gotten up there if she ever actually did anything except escape punishment.
Old 2016-10-04, 22:33   Link #27
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
That's all well and good that it's reasonably accurate to a gangster's mentality, but it doesn't make for very compelling antagonists. Especially when you try to have them stack up to Fisk and Kilgrave. They didn't even quite feel like they stacked up, as characters, compared to the Hand. Mariah could've gotten up there if she ever actually did anything except escape punishment.
But you see, they are NOT suppose to stack up to Fisk. Fisk is a villain big enough to face Spiderman. The Defenders are street heroes, and most of their villains are meant to be low key as to not be worth Avenger's time.

I guess very few gang bosses can ever measure up to Fisk, who is suppose to be "Kingpin" for a reason.
Old 2016-10-05, 00:52   Link #28
AntonKutovoi

The problem of connection to the main universe became even more obvious than in other Netflix series. From what I get, it happens some time after the first Avengers movie, so SHIELD is still a legitimate organization. And there's bulletproof black guy with super strength, supposedly killing cops, who is also became known to the public, which should be exactly SHIELD's problem.
Old 2016-10-05, 01:37   Link #29
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
The problem of connection to the main universe became even more obvious than in other Netflix series. From what I get, it happens some time after the first Avengers movie, so SHIELD is still a legitimate organization. And there's bulletproof black guy with super strength, supposedly killing cops, who is also became known to the public, which should be exactly SHIELD's problem.
Only reason I can think of is that perhaps incidents such as these (involving superhumans) have become so commonplace nowadays that SHIELD doesn't bother intervening unless the threat level of a specific individual begins to expand beyond the borders of a single isolated area (such as Harlem). But I admit, I don't watch Agents of SHIELD. So I've no clue what kind of threat levels those agents are typically tasked with dealing with on a daily basis. I'm also hesitant to use the cliche excuse of "well perhaps they're just pre-occupied with another mission" since I don't know how many agents they can afford to expend at any one time.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-05, 02:43   Link #30
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Could be something as simple as the locals claiming jurisdictional authority over the situation because they want to "deal with him" themselves. Local PDs bristle enough as it is when the Feds try to horn in on their turf. They'd like it even less if an international organization like SHIELD tried to. For something like the stuff that was happening on AoS while SHIELD was official, they'll either take the effort to dig through that red tape or just go in surreptitiously. For one "bulletproof black guy with super strength, supposedly killing cops"? Not so much.
Old 2016-10-05, 09:19   Link #31
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
But you see, they are NOT suppose to stack up to Fisk. Fisk is a villain big enough to face Spiderman. The Defenders are street heroes, and most of their villains are meant to be low key as to not be worth Avenger's time.

I guess very few gang bosses can ever measure up to Fisk, who is suppose to be "Kingpin" for a reason.
I'm saying in terms of characterization, interest, and depth, not in terms of how threatening they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
It's after Avengers 1, no mention of the Accords so likely before Civil War (and thus before the current season of SHIELD), and after the other Netflix series. So odds are SHIELD is still in the shadows. And if you just ignore the Inhuman stuff (since it literally isn't anywhere else other than AoS), it makes sense. That or it's happening while they're dealing with HIVE or something.
Old 2016-10-05, 10:19   Link #32
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm saying in terms of characterization, interest, and depth, not in terms of how threatening they are.

It's after Avengers 1, no mention of the Accords so likely before Civil War (and thus before the current season of SHIELD), and after the other Netflix series. So odds are SHIELD is still in the shadows. And if you just ignore the Inhuman stuff (since it literally isn't anywhere else other than AoS), it makes sense. That or it's happening while they're dealing with HIVE or something.
SHIELD went into shadows after the second Cap movie. After the first Avengers it should be a normal organisation under Fury. If it was after all Hail Hydra staff, I probably wouldn't say a thing, since SHIELD had a bigger issues to handle.
Old 2016-10-05, 13:19   Link #33
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I'll say it was a decent series.

Spoiler for To the end of the show:

Show had some ok moments. I wouldn't say it was the best Netflix show...but it was fine.
Old 2016-10-05, 20:19   Link #34
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Misty was clearly set up to go vigilante at some point. So I can understand they tried to set up why she would slowly lose her attachment to her role as a cop. Basically she was absolutely against vigilantes at the beginning, and just like Mariah she slowly goes unhinged.
Old 2016-10-05, 20:27   Link #35
GDB

Well, in the comics she IS a freelance Private Eye that's often paired with Colleen Wing (who was referenced at the end on a self defense poster). Wouldn't be surprised at all if they go that way the next time we see her.
Old 2016-10-06, 01:34   Link #36
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Misty was clearly set up to go vigilante at some point. So I can understand they tried to set up why she would slowly lose her attachment to her role as a cop. Basically she was absolutely against vigilantes at the beginning, and just like Mariah she slowly goes unhinged.
I can see why they would go that route...but she was still unbearably annoying. Doesn't much help season 1's enjoyment in that respect . I just kind of wish they would have actually made her look like the capable cop she was supposed to be. You could still have her lose attachment to the role and go unhinged. Just have her start from the position of being capable and then fall apart.
Old 2016-10-06, 11:50   Link #37
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally finished watching the show.

Cottonmouth is a suave villain thanks to Ali's acting but the best villain in the show was Shades. In paper, a guy who wears sunglasses all the time even during nighttime sounds silly but his actors made him intelligent and cool villain with charisma.

Also love the music which has nods to Luke Cage's early blaxploitation days. (They even got Faith Evans and Method Man on the show!)
Old 2016-10-07, 14:39   Link #38
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Having finished it, I am a bit torn in regard to Cottonmouth.
He was just a kid, a talented musician who was forced into taking over a role he didn't want.
He was evil, sure, but a part of me feels sorry for him.

For some reason I think there is some hope for Diamondback, I mean, even Darth Vader turned around at the end. Can't wait to see him with an unbreakable skin going after Luke for a rematch.

Mariah scares me, I don't think she plays with a full set. There's something not completely sane boiling underneath that prim and proper facade.

No bionic arm for Misty, I is sad....
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-07, 14:45   Link #39
GDB

They never really explored how/why he was forced into that role. Just that he was. When Mariah tried to "get out", we see that the other gangs were all okay with it and would assist in the transition. It was Diamondback, who wouldn't have been a thing back when Cottonmouth was taking over, who denied her "getting out".

The closest they came was that he was basically traumatized by what he did before taking over. But he seemed despise that he was "forced" into this role, which doesn't seem like something that someone who basically broke their brain would feel. It'd make more sense for Mariah to claim he was forced into the role while he just shrugged or laughed it off if that was the route they wanted to go.
Old 2016-10-07, 18:31   Link #40
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
They never really explored how/why he was forced into that role. Just that he was.
Simple, "Family First".

He was forced into that role because Mariah is away. And someone has to do it. He hates doing it but he can't just let the family business die. Mariah keeps trying to walk away because that was the role her mom gave her. It is certainly a big contrast that Mariah was willing to shut the whole operation down, while Cottonmouth was not willing to do the same.

Cottonmouth did what he did, for his family name. While Mariah had to be strong-armed into it after she lost all her options.

Tags
action, marvel cinematic universe, netflix