can someone explain what happened to giselle all i hear is "i feel bad for her"
Spoiler for Contract completed:
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 10:52   Link #1242
Lange Neus
Dikke Vinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
For the lift action, it may need the claudia coils to be exposed i.e. for cooling or field emitter for anti-gravity. Ades federation didn't design the claudia coils like the Urbanus' hardened claudia coils.
My point is more along the lines of "if a kid with next to no combat experience and proper training is capable of shooting down the pride of your arial fleet with a single shot from a hand gun that isn't even designed with the purpose of shooting said pride down, why would you even bother making airships at all?"

It's easy enough to make up an explanation of why this must be the best possible way of building a ship like that, but why waste resources on constructing a flying death trap to begin with?
Lange Neus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 10:58   Link #1243
ehonglin

Spoiler for Episode 8:
ehonglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 10:59   Link #1244
ookamigirl

This was a pretty intense episode.
There was a lot of destruction.
It was cool how Fam and Millia saved that little flyer.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 11:01   Link #1245
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
man, titania was awesome... OK guys, the captain is smiling, prepare to do some major ownage . No wonder the Federation doesn't want to touch Glacias, yet
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 11:04   Link #1246
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange Neus View Post
It's easy enough to make up an explanation of why this must be the best possible way of building a ship like that, but why waste resources on constructing a flying death trap to begin with?
Frankly we know NOTHING about the conceits that were behind how the ships of the Ades Federation was designed, except that they were not designed against attacks via Vanship. Heck, in the previous series, the concept of using Vanships to attack battleships was a new concept, and it's easy to think that the people of Ades are still in the 'big ship' mentality, kind of how navy commanders in the real world saw warfare prior to the Battle of Midway.
Old 2011-12-03, 11:53   Link #1247
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

What's this? Russian language in Last Exile? And the ED sang in Russian too!?
Thank you Animax for understanding and subbing the ED!

Anyway, that was a magnificent battle. Those Rocket Vanships from Glacies were damm amazing and overkill! Their Vanships are Jets with Cannons! And they're all Russians!(Actually Japanese VAs speaking Russian but at least one of VA's is an actually Russian.)

Quote:
So, they construct flagships so that they sink with a single shot from a handgun? Design flaw much? I mean, really, learn from what happened to the death star.

And with the entry of loli russians this show is starting to remind me of that WWII sim where they replaced the leaders with little girls.
That was no ordinary gun, those were anti-Claudia guns that disable the ship's Claudia engines. Think EMP grenades.

Lolis? I saw no Lolis, I saw beautiful women pilots speaking Russian.
Old 2011-12-03, 12:40   Link #1248
TheKage

Quote:
And with the entry of loli russians this show is starting to remind me of that WWII sim where they replaced the leaders with little girls.
I do not think that word means what you think it means.

They are neither child-like nor are they younger than 14 (most likely). They look to be near Tatiana's or even Lavie's age from the previous series which means they're 15-17.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 13:35   Link #1249
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
What's this? Russian language in Last Exile? And the ED sang in Russian too!?
Thank you Animax for understanding and subbing the ED!

Anyway, that was a magnificent battle. Those Rocket Vanships from Glacies were damm amazing and overkill! Their Vanships are Jets with Cannons! And they're all Russians!(Actually Japanese VAs speaking Russian but at least one of VA's is an actually Russian.)

That was no ordinary gun, those were anti-Claudia guns that disable the ship's Claudia engines. Think EMP grenades.

Lolis? I saw no Lolis, I saw beautiful women pilots speaking Russian.
Wow, that was incredible! And they're totally loaded with several vanship fighters on standby as theorized, Tatiana building off of the Silvana's history.

That music when the First Fleet trap hits. I love how "heavy" and all "second half of the first Last Exile" and "professional" it got within seconds once Tatiana completely took center stage with the Silvius, that was so totally like how I felt every time Alex took the front conducting his equally masterful battles. Tatiana did him proud here. The water move at the end was great too.

Don't make Tatiana smile. Loved the speech, and oh man when "Fleet of Little Ships" starts playing I was so into it and then into the "Silvana" part, sooo good. This episode was gripping from start to finish, it was like one big payoff of 25 minutes of greatness. This was the heavy professional edge that the first show showed at times like this during the climaxes that the critics were waiting for, I hope they're pleased, most of us knew it was coming cause you could see the hints if you were really paying attention IMO.

And the totally new touch with Glacias really getting into this and their pilots and rocket-style vanships and military style. Damn those were cool, both the outside looked badass and the image of them taking off like rockets was sweet, and the cockpit and digital displays were freaking cool looking. Visually they were stunning in every way. I loved how their pilots came off and the Russian was an awesome touch to add to the scale of the world.

As always when displaying new things and the battle escalates and tactics (and politics with Ades/Silvius/Glacias), the LE setting is too freaking cool.

I really liked how for a moment when things got to the "pro level" Fam and the others were pushed to the side at first, it really drove things home even if it was only momentarily, and I liked how Fam wanted to take responsibility for screwing up but how she didn't get to go out until later.

Agreed with you and TheKage, how the heck were they lolis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Frankly we know NOTHING about the conceits that were behind how the ships of the Ades Federation was designed, except that they were not designed against attacks via Vanship. Heck, in the previous series, the concept of using Vanships to attack battleships was a new concept, and it's easy to think that the people of Ades are still in the 'big ship' mentality, kind of how navy commanders in the real world saw warfare prior to the Battle of Midway.
Yeah. Just like in the first series I think it's important to note that on this world Vanship combat is clearly a quite new "invention". Also the weapon was not clearly not a firearm as I think they did as good a job as possible of displaying the tiny size of the section and that it was a Claudia section. We also don't know the extent to which Ades (since Luscinia and Alauda have been the real ones to show any real connection with Alauda's ship and Luscinia feeling like he has at least some level of Guild familiarity) has knowledge of Claudia Units, it felt like they were leaving the ship and scuttling it like if it had a radiation leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Haha subs come out less than an hour before Animax's airing time.

Edit:

Well now that was one hell of an episode. Even though it was one ship versus a whole fleet clusterfuck, superior tech and excellent tactics got the Sylvius through. No doubt the tactics they learned back in their planet of exile was useful in this more traditional world.

Giselle's slow breakdown and Millia's (temporary?) replacement reminds me a whole lot of what had eventually happened with Claus and Lavi. Despite everything Fam still wants to take responsibility for what she thinks is her fault and make amends. It would be easier to just sit there and do nothing, arguably the Sylvius would have gotten out even without her help, but she decided to do something anyway.

Blog post later.
This! I loved the payoff of seeing the Silvius in action, it was totally like seeing them build off of what they learned on Prester.

Yeah it does, agreed. Personally I'm with you on the temporary part, I think something's going to happen to push Gisey back into this, she's still one of the leads. I really liked how Fam wanted to take responsibility for her screwup as all too often the headstrong type doesn't, and it felt right seeing her pushed aside at first as the real pros took over in the crunch, as you mentioned I liked how arguably the Silvius would have gotten out anyway and it felt good having her contribution on the periphery, loved the seeds planted for better relations with Glacias through their little act of heroism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
man, titania was awesome... OK guys, the captain is smiling, prepare to do some major ownage . No wonder the Federation doesn't want to touch Glacias, yet
Yeah that soooo sweet! They did an awesome job displaying Glacias' strength and feel and making this immediately apparent in merely one episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Glorious battle... The Silvius is truly overpowered. Not only does it have the two massive cannons mentioned earlier above but it has also carried over a more advanced version of the rocket propelled guns used by the Silvana.

We get to see the Glacies' pilots in action too. They speak Russian Glacies is very much modelled after the old USSR. The Glacies rocket-boosted fighters are the steam-punk versions of the Mikoyan MIG-25s.

Need to rewatch.
Hehe, yeah I loved it

That was really neat, I loved the even further international/global feel it added and I love how inspired their choices are with this totally new style of Glacies as you mention, they could have made them exactly like what's come before but again just like with the differences between Anatoray and Disith they've once again created a whole new design style.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-12-03 at 13:57.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 13:37   Link #1250
lordshadowisle

Pure battleships do seem rather vulnerable to fighters; properly armed vanships from the Sylvius were able to quite easily sink enemy ships with torpedoes. However, the Ades designers aren't stupid or incompetent, they simply haven't gotten used to such novel concepts of warfare. The tech developed to fight the Gracies rocket ships (last episode) may be one way they're going to adapt their tactics; we'll see if this nagging point gets resolved in further episodes.

I'm still calling bullshit on Fam's kill, though. Nothing much but plot armor. Why couldn't the Sylvius used a vanship with a torpedo instead of relying on a freelancer armed with an inferior weapon? Worst of all, the crew were cheering the deed as if it were some accomplishment that they couldn't have done themselves. That makes everyone, from the enemy to the Sylvius crew, appear utterly incompetent just to make Fam appear better, which is really quite poor writing.
lordshadowisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 14:04   Link #1251
pewpewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshadowisle View Post
I'm still calling bullshit on Fam's kill, though. Nothing much but plot armor. Why couldn't the Sylvius used a vanship with a torpedo instead of relying on a freelancer armed with an inferior weapon? Worst of all, the crew were cheering the deed as if it were some accomplishment that they couldn't have done themselves. That makes everyone, from the enemy to the Sylvius crew, appear utterly incompetent just to make Fam appear better, which is really quite poor writing.
I think it was more to do with how a combat-suboptimal ship like the Vespa managed to down the enemy flagship, Anshar. The larger Anatoray vanships might've been hard-pressed to get in close enough to guarantee a torpedo hit on the claudia coil thingy, which was recessed in its own armoured cupola aft of the bridge windows.

But yeah, Ades' ships aren't well-suited to countering close-in vanship attacks. It remains to be seen how effective the massed guns trialled by Ōrang's fleet last episode will perform against the rocket-fighters.

That aside, I really enjoyed the international feel that resulted from having Glacies' pilots speaking Russian (sort of). Like DangerMouse said, it really adds to the scale of the world.
pewpewpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 14:23   Link #1252
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
first addressing some concerns

Quote:
So, they construct flagships so that they sink with a single shot from a handgun? Design flaw much? I mean, really, learn from what happened to the death star.
It's called a critical hit, not to mention that the ammo used was specifically designed to sink a ship w/ a single shot at the right place, or slow the target ship down if dispersed in a cloud.

And the death star... in the context of the timeline they might not know what the heck it is.

Quote:
My point is more along the lines of "if a kid with next to no combat experience and proper training is capable of shooting down the pride of your arial fleet with a single shot from a hand gun that isn't even designed with the purpose of shooting said pride down, why would you even bother making airships at all?"

The shot can be called lucky at the most.

The gun is a combination flare/canister/typewriter thing- which is by the way ingenious, and even a mere RL flaregun can be fitted with ammo/things that can allow it to shoot real bullet.

They have been building and losing ships in that manner for years, do you think that a loss of a fleet flagship would make them stop? heck the next thing that they would do is address the problem, create a solution and then we end up with the "no vent weakness" that is going to be harder to take out- if EP7 is enough of an indicator that the Federation is striving to improve on their ships.

Quote:
loli? they don't look like lolis to me.

Quote:
I guess I could have expected this much when they started the first episode with underage cameltoe, but except an amazing voice cast and doujin potential this show has little going for it, so far. Sorry if I'm cussing in the church.
I am going to question on how much you have watched the first season and know of the current trend of shows.

I mean, who in their right mind would watch this just for the Voice Casts and Doujin Potential?

People that have watched the first season are expecting the steampunk epic that is the original Last Exile. As of now the current story is somehow shaping up to it, but with twists, dips (Fam, this means YOU) and even sometimes topping off the first.

With that sorted out, i must do Part 2 of the Ship by Ship Analysis and my comments and assessment of Ep8 later.
Saint X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 14:47   Link #1253
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshadowisle View Post
Pure battleships do seem rather vulnerable to fighters; properly armed vanships from the Sylvius were able to quite easily sink enemy ships with torpedoes. However, the Ades designers aren't stupid or incompetent, they simply haven't gotten used to such novel concepts of warfare. The tech developed to fight the Gracies rocket ships (last episode) may be one way they're going to adapt their tactics; we'll see if this nagging point gets resolved in further episodes.

Yup, one of the great aspects is that technology and tactics are always moving in Last Exile and we see the shifts, whereas in most shows we often see the final form of combat the entire time just with upgrades. Their ships were designed with the battleship mentality and as shown they outclass virtually all the world powers by reaching the height of the battleship era and now they are working on countermeasures thanks to Glacias being one of the first on this world to make the jump to Vanship fighters along with the Silvius/Anatoray thanks to Alex and Tatiana blazing that trail on Prester. However they are still not ready to counter real vanship attacks, as pewpewpew says we'll see how effective their new weapons are, I imagine they'll make a comeback of their own as they are in the midst of striving to improve their tech to fight vanships. And they also probably had no idea until the battle began and the Silvius suddenly launched fighters that the Silvius is a vanship carrier in addition to being a badass on the battlefield.

I don't have an issue with them getting some cheers, during the battle it wasn't portrayed as ultra important to the Silvius' survival, and they credit her for capturing the ship not saving them, and unlike a bigger Anatoray vanship fighter Fam's vespa is probably one of the few ships that could get that crazy close and get to that perfect angle to get passed the armor extended around the area to use that. They've been caught at the changing of the guard of aerial combat that tiny spot would likely be pretty safe in old-fashioned battleship combat and will probably now be addressed like their weapons. They are in the midst of progressing to develop countermeasures. It's also why they seemingly have no illusions of being ready to take on Glacias and retreat immediately rather than pick a fight with them.

And, the people who pull it off still get the cheers even if everyone else could do it (plus those cheers are soundly balanced by the heavy atmosphere of juxtaposing it with Giselle's frustrations). And Fam certainly didn't come off better than the Silvvius in combat where it was shooting down ships and outclassing Ades ships as expected with her speed (and once again an awesome sound officer), nor did she come off as better than the Silvius fighter team that sunk several battleships not just damaged one.

And Saint X and pewpewpew did a much better job addressing it too.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-12-03 at 14:59.
Old 2011-12-03, 15:01   Link #1254
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
It's called a critical hit, not to mention that the ammo used was specifically designed to sink a ship w/ a single shot at the right place, or slow the target ship down if dispersed in a cloud.
Giant enemy warship...ATTACK THE WEAK SPOT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!

(Couldn't resist.)

Yeah, it does seem kind of contrived, though. I'm sure you can try to rationalize why the warship is so easy to take down, but it still leaves a sour taste.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 15:05   Link #1255
DangerMouse

Oh yeah, I absolutely loved the salute to the ship of Sadri and his crew, really added that little "classy" touch that the chivalry added on occasion in the original.
Old 2011-12-03, 15:13   Link #1256
stormwaltzing
Little Master

Yeah, I actually went "... aw " at the crew saluting and the shot of the ship.
Old 2011-12-03, 15:16   Link #1257
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Giant enemy warship...ATTACK THE WEAK SPOT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!

(Couldn't resist.)

Yeah, it does seem kind of contrived, though. I'm sure you can try to rationalize why the warship is so easy to take down, but it still leaves a sour taste.
Well the closest analogy that i can think of in Real Life would be a Fighter managing to drop a bomb down the smokestack of a battleship, hitting the engine room and setting it on fire. But with fires it can be controlled, but left unchecked it will spread to the fuel stores and the magazine, resulting in one ship sunk by massive explosion or extremely crippled that the crew are forced to abandon it anyways.

Un/fortunately for the Anshar, the shot's effect was similar to that of a radiator leak, in this case, a sudden loss of fuel that the thing they can only do at the moment is abandon ship, if it were a RL ship the fuel loss would have been nothing more than a quick trip to the drydock for patching.

Also, the whole fleet was so focused on the Silvius that did not notice the single vespa that was loitering around.

Also... Only in Last Exile do you see WW2 Submarine Warfare being practiced... IN THE SKY!

Also... Ades Destroyers need to play Navyfield to learn how to spread torps effectively.

Last edited by Saint X; 2011-12-03 at 15:35.
Saint X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 15:26   Link #1258
miketyson

This keeps getting better. The thing with Giselle is partially that she's never actually pulled off that shot before, whereas Millia hit it on the first try.

I've got a bad feeling about the Sky Pirates. I wouldn't be surprised if Fam goes back home, but when she gets there Ades has gone through and torn stuff up.

Tatiana not turning over Milia makes sense, too, b/c Milia might be one of the keys (like her older sister).

The Glacias (sp?) are interesting b/c they have such high technology. First non-Guild ships with computers I think.

Dio was right, btw: Fam's drawing of the Silvius was how it actually was, lol. All those hidden guns popping out everywhere.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 16:34   Link #1259
DangerMouse

Haha yeah Dio's comment and the drawing from back then

Like Millia with her lucky shot since they were so close I think Gisey would have pulled off the shot too in her attempt since she's probably a good shot having to shoot those canisters all the time, except that her target was the more prepared Silvius since vanships are such a large part of their strategy.

Yeah, Glacias is really impressive.

"Also... Only in Last Exile do you see WW2 Submarine Warfare being practiced... IN THE SKY!"

Yeah, man do I love the unique ship/fleet battles and maneuvering of fleets (and fighters) etc. that's Last Exile's combat.
Old 2011-12-03, 16:46   Link #1260
TheKage

Gisey's crying is heartbreaking I must say.

Gisey's mentioned never getting the Claudia-engine take-down shot right, even during training.

I'm really interested in what Glacies will bring to the show and plot. We'll see more of Viola and her pilot (I didn't quite catch her name). I wonder why 03's pilot wasn't sure if Fam and Millia were really helping or not. Maybe that was a tl-difficulty but it seemed like she was denying anything about their help.

It was great to see what were the secret awesome weapons hidden inside the Silvius that Dio mentioned were there.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, science fiction