AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-01-11, 13:50   Link #41
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Fansubs: 90%
DVD/Blue-ray: 5%
TV: 5%
Old 2010-01-12, 04:29   Link #42
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
That's my point though...if people outside the US want to watch fansubs, why can't they just make fansubs themselves? No one's stopping them yet from doing so.

And even if it's a drop in the bucket, it does represent the vast majority of officially English speaking countries (US, Canada, UK, Australia), which is CR's obvious target audience.
Actually most "US" groups are really an international group

Now I really mean no offense here, but without either a massive budget for prosubbers or lots of time, people and expertise for fansubbers, why bother with subbing in tons and tons of languages when English would also cover a large amount of "non-english-speaking" countries?

Most have fluent understanding as we can see right here on asuki and heck, I'd say more than a few o' them other gaijins like Dutch, Indian, etc actually speak better English than the average American despite any accent

Also notice that the random countries CR has managed to include outside of US/CA/UK/AU are also non-english yet are only shown english subs AFAIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
*looks at survey* Raws aren't included either. Where would our avatar and sig collections be without raws?
and AMVs lol. But we could get it from softsubbed fansubs, provided they finish of course (unless you need some scene from the OP and EDs ruined by hardsubbed karaoke)

As far as the survey goes, the total would be a few hundred percent for me
I will say though that in the US, for all intents and purposes, you can forget about anime on TV.

I'm also not sure how much of an impact free ad-based streaming has without gigantic amounts of volume. Even in that case though, it seems like they would benefit more if each viewer simply bought a figure or some licensed merchandise for that show than the few cents given for each ad.

We can see with this news: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...to-be-licensed
that even free streaming was not enough to save the second season from being dropped out of consideration. And I don't think fansubs played a significant role here as Saizen dropped it halfway through and the only other group, C-A took forever to finish and overall torrent download stats are very low. Yes, it's a sports title, but a good title with no bad reviews and I get the impression most users at least on ANN were streaming it. Granted Funi also has to deal with the extra cost of dubbing though and who knows how much of an advance they paid, if any. I suspect there was some simply because the retail price is higher than their other half season sets.

I'm all for streaming and other means to give back (although I have my disagreements) nonetheless I bring it up because IMO *simply* switching from fansubs to free streaming is not the panacea it's made out to be if people still buy nothing whatsoever. I feel that whether you do what's considered legal or illegal, a more ethical means (yes, as in more fair) is to watch whatever you want however you want--then just buy something of what you like, perhaps spending in varying degrees depending on how you rank them, and/or alternatively paying a small subscription fee.

Anime in general--meaning every show--needs to be as big as network television in order to rely primarily on ads, if people want "free-and-legal".
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 05:52   Link #43
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Fansub: 85%

TV: 15%
Old 2010-01-12, 09:04   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
I'm also not sure how much of an impact free ad-based streaming has without gigantic amounts of volume. Even in that case though, it seems like they would benefit more if each viewer simply bought a figure or some licensed merchandise for that show than the few cents given for each ad.
When you buy actual product (figures, CDs, swag) -- you're directly supporting the companies that create the industry. When you buy R1 DVDs -- you're mostly supporting the American distributor (though some licenses skim a percentage of the profits, many are a one-time cost). So technically, if you enjoy this entertainment you should be spending a portion of your disposable income on both
Old 2010-01-12, 19:29   Link #45
krko
The Movie is Coming

Fansub: 98%
TV:1.5%
Illegal Stream .5%

I rarely get to watch anime on TV since whenever its showing, I'm either away from home or sleeping. That's the main draw of fansubs for me: the convenience to watch stuff when (and where, since I usually convert fansubs into ipod videos) I want to watch it. With the painfully slow internet in my country streaming is just not viable.
krko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 13:01   Link #46
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

My current viewing habits:
100% fansubs for me.

Don't get me wrong, I used to buy loads of DVDs, but I never really watch them since it was more to support the industry (and I like the cases to be honest lol), and I rarely ever rewatch anything due to lack of free time.

But now with the decline of the DVDs in NA (especially the kind of shows I'm interested in), really, there is only one way for me to support them... through streaming. Considering I can't watch Hulu, and that means subscribing to Crunchyroll.

Sure, Natsu no Araishi 2 among others had some horrible subs, but I fully support Quarkboy (aka. Sam). If you're reading this, know that your tact and non-hostile attitude to current 'real' fansubbers, along with your interviews at GG's site, is the one that made me buy a full anime membership at CR. That friendly stance is something I wish (if only vainly) is shared by funimation and the Japanese companies; if you don't treat your customer base as thieves, you'd get a more welcome reception.

I'd get the drama membership too, but c'mon, no j-dramas? Utter fail.

Now if there's only more quality 720p steams in CR, I might actually use my membership to watch anime rather just using it as a means to support the industry. As of right now, I still only watch fansubs because I can not simply downgrade to an inferior video quality. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 15:01   Link #47
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
My current viewing habits:
100% fansubs for me.

Don't get me wrong, I used to buy loads of DVDs, but I never really watch them since it was more to support the industry (and I like the cases to be honest lol), and I rarely ever rewatch anything due to lack of free time.

But now with the decline of the DVDs in NA (especially the kind of shows I'm interested in), really, there is only one way for me to support them... through streaming. Considering I can't watch Hulu, and that means subscribing to Crunchyroll.

Sure, Natsu no Araishi 2 among others had some horrible subs, but I fully support Quarkboy (aka. Sam). If you're reading this, know that your tact and non-hostile attitude to current 'real' fansubbers, along with your interviews at GG's site, is the one that made me buy a full anime membership at CR. That friendly stance is something I wish (if only vainly) is shared by funimation and the Japanese companies; if you don't treat your customer base as thieves, you'd get a more welcome reception.

I'd get the drama membership too, but c'mon, no j-dramas? Utter fail.

Now if there's only more quality 720p steams in CR, I might actually use my membership to watch anime rather just using it as a means to support the industry. As of right now, I still only watch fansubs because I can not simply downgrade to an inferior video quality. XD
Well, my purpose was to clear up misconceptions and answer people's questions. I think I ended up being the first person to clearly explain to people the process that streaming entails, from the work and money perspective, and a little understanding makes all the difference.
People can form their own opinions about who to support, or how, and what ways they prefer to consume... But it's important that they understand the implications of how each one works to make an educated decision.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 02:30   Link #48
Seitsuki
Onee!

I used to buy dvds in Japan, but the crazy cost is really prohibitive considering I only work part time. Now I mostly just watch through downloads dark voodoo arts.
Old 2010-01-14, 09:41   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
I used to buy dvds in Japan, but the crazy cost is really prohibitive considering I only work part time. Now I mostly just watch through downloads dark voodoo arts.
I think its absurd to pay for stuff you don't like... but one should spend money on stuff one likes to the extent one can. Throughout history there have been the "patron class" and the "peanut gallery" -- that is what the mega-corps of entertainment have forgotten. They have this delusion that "one pair of eyeballs == one full price ticket" which has never been the case.
Old 2010-01-14, 10:29   Link #50
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think its absurd to pay for stuff you don't like... but one should spend money on stuff one likes to the extent one can. Throughout history there have been the "patron class" and the "peanut gallery" -- that is what the mega-corps of entertainment have forgotten. They have this delusion that "one pair of eyeballs == one full price ticket" which has never been the case.
What annoys me is when the non-paying class (100% fansub watchers) always annoyingly rant online about how "zomg animes suck these days!1!it's all moes!!," when they're really saying "I am personally offended that studios make anime that does not appeal to my personal tastes." If you're not part of the paying class, you don't get your tastes catered too. There's a lot of "failure to understand how capitalism works" among a lot of fans.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote