Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-07-24, 10:12   Link #241
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido

The only complain I have with the animation on this episode was again the drawing and sketching treatment on the female character, and Masane was whom she suffered most a severe case of cellulitis.
C'mon, it was nae to see Masane drawn with too much meat in her hips and waist in her swimsuit. The animators are cheap; even if for time and budget constraints, this was partly a fanservice episodes and should had kept a decent quality at every shot for the female character designs in their swimsuits.
Hahahaha!!! You're too funny! Oh c'mon now it wasn't all that bad. I watched it over and yeah she was pretty "larger than life" (pun intended). It could have been worse. Hell, compared to that overly sloppy ballooned-sized "bimbo" with glasses 'Masane' was a breath of fresh air. Of course they had to give you that one "shot". And 'Masane's hips are pretty big around 90cm. Just not as big when animation "Team-D" draws em'. Hahahahaha! Well, at least Uno Makoto-san will give her fair treatment if he ever decides to do a swimsuit pin-up for any of the publications. I'm sure the Japanese fanboards are making fun of this ep. And who knows what 2chan-net is up to? Making animated gifs of 'Masane' stripping. But you have to admit the white bathing suit does suit her. Poor 'Cho-san', I wonder what all that was about?

Again another touching ep.

Spoiler:

Again nice break down of the summary Guido.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."

Last edited by chrno; 2006-08-09 at 11:57.
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 12:42   Link #242
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The foreboding calm before the storm

futaba channel has posted the pics for episode seventeen.

I won't be giving a preliminary synopsis about the episode, since there's people out there with better Japanese understanding and skills than me: MrProphet, chrno, JShaggy, wrex_japan-- I admit that the power they hold, at least in this thread, is very influential.

Anyways, a few images are worth than thousands of words.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 13:30   Link #243
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
futaba channel has posted the pics for episode seventeen.

I won't be giving a preliminary synopsis about the episode, since there's people out there with better Japanese understanding and skills than me: MrProphet, chrno, JShaggy, wrex_japan-- I admit that the power they hold, at least in this thread, is very influential.
Oh you're making me blush. Thanks Guido. But I'm more of the read in type. Actually you guys have done the best ep. summaries. To be honest I'm really enjoying this show. It's a little diamond in the rough. Not to mention it hits pretty close to *home.

So we got another 'CB' upgrade and a new candidate. As we get closer to the end there will be more light shed. To be honest I hope 'Father' buys it big time. I really hate his face!

Can't wait to see ep. 17. By tomorrow hicbc.com will have ep. 18 posted while the official site will have the images for ep. 17 up next week.

Oh, I went around the 'livedoor' blogs on the Japan side and I had to laugh at someone's blog for ep. 5. But it was their comment toward ep. 6. "Next episode 'Milk tank -vs- Milk tank!!"

Last edited by chrno; 2006-07-26 at 14:05.
Old 2006-07-26, 14:34   Link #244
xizro345
King's Justice

Just as a reference, my DVD vol.1 has been shipped. I'll try to make some comparison caps if I find the time.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 14:39   Link #245
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345
Just as a reference, my DVD vol.1 has been shipped. I'll try to make some comparison caps if I find the time.
Excellent you'll be getting the full "flesh" treatment. Please share with us the differences. Ne?

If you bought the LE version then I guess you'll get the little artwork they have packed in there and the cool box.

Old 2006-07-26, 16:33   Link #246
xizro345
King's Justice

Of course I got first press version 8P
Old 2006-07-27, 00:24   Link #247
masadate

Can I request that one of you please make some sanks of the Sketchbook, seeing as though that I missed a chance of getting the first print cause I just found out about this series too late?
masadate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 03:52   Link #248
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Episode 17 Review

Impressive how GONZO is molding the storyline into different forms to allow expanding different subplots that have been developed recently and remained integrated to the main plot.
The different subplots allowed me to stay immersed, overlooking the animation issues as of irrelevant to me.

Spoiler:

BTW, for those were nostalgic about X-CONS, a new one reappeared after four consecutive episodes of X-CON absence.
The most recently has an advanced form: bulky, sleeker, and more humanoid looking; the form of a cybernetic armor.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 15:47   Link #249
xizro345
King's Justice

The official site has some caps of TV / DVD differences:

http://witchblade.jp/gallery/dvd.html

Expect some more info once I get my hands on the DVD.
Old 2006-07-27, 19:31   Link #250
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345
The official site has some caps of TV / DVD differences:

http://witchblade.jp/gallery/dvd.html

Expect some more info once I get my hands on the DVD.
It's about time they updated the gallery section. Funny thing is I gave up checking since they only had the promotional movie. Now folks, you're questions have been answered about the differences between the TV show and the movie. Ingrain this into your mind so you may spread the knowledge.

Thanks xizro345 for that info.

Also, there will be an "establishment works" ("setteishiryoushuu" which is basically an artbook), which is scheduled for a August 2006 release. I had originally posted this awhile back but at that time it was scheduled for December. I guess they're moving it up since the show is coming to a close. Now the question is will this be all that they are collecting artwise or will there be something else? And if so, will it be available to purchase from "accessible" online retailers?

http://shop.frontierworks.jp/detail....hcd=MOVIC-0585

Keeping my eye out for this one. Will have more info. at some point.

Old 2006-07-28, 09:02   Link #251
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Witchblade Edit List
--------------------------

Spoiler:
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-28, 10:20   Link #252
chrno

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiGoku
Witchblade Edit List
--------------------------

Spoiler:
Great comparison! I'll be checking it out when I get home tonight. The best way to really compare them is to view them side-by-side. More than likely if something is off in the timing chances are it will be a cut or an additional footage. As with shows they always have more footage lying around that cannot be used for the broadcast. So technically there would be 2-almost complete similar versions.

But what about the shot after the ex-Con explodes in ep. 1? Is the stuff that 'WB Masane' lick off her blade still "milky-white" or is it "blood" colored now?

I always noticed that most scenes between the DVD release and the TV release have different resolution. One is the darker scenes -vs- the more clear shots on the DVD release. A friend of mine had thought that the Japanese releases on DVD were darker than what we got and we just lightened them up. But who knows if that's true or really has to do with the broadcast version -vs- the DVD version.

Of course when FUNimation finally releases it we're going to get the uncut version. But they need to release both. But I'm curious to know how they are going to get away with airing it on cable here?

Old 2006-07-28, 10:45   Link #253
rpgman1

My guess is Witchblade will be the TV version if aired on Adult Swim while the DVD version will only be uncut. If they're going to do like what Naruto did, then they'll be a TV version and an uncut version (most unlikely unless its like DBZ).
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-28, 10:58   Link #254
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno
But what about the shot after the ex-Con explodes in ep. 1? Is the stuff that 'WB Masane' lick off her blade still "milky-white" or is it "blood" colored now?
It's the same as before. Masane is a lot more naked in the DVD version, but it's not all that important, in my opinion. She was naked enough in the TV version already.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-28, 11:44   Link #255
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno
Great comparison! I'll be checking it out when I get home tonight. The best way to really compare them is to view them side-by-side. More than likely if something is off in the timing chances are it will be a cut or an additional footage.
This is exactly what I did. So this is how I noticed this.

Quote:

I always noticed that most scenes between the DVD release and the TV release have different resolution. One is the darker scenes -vs- the more clear shots on the DVD release. A friend of mine had thought that the Japanese releases on DVD were darker than what we got and we just lightened them up. But who knows if that's true or really has to do with the broadcast version -vs- the DVD version.
Actually, that one particular scene at the beginning was MUCH darker than the rest of the episode on the tv version. So obviously that darkness was put there on purpose. If I would have tried to lighten up the video on the tv broadcast to match the level of the japanese dvd, it would have been too much.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-28, 12:09   Link #256
chrno

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
It's the same as before. Masane is a lot more naked in the DVD version, but it's not all that important, in my opinion. She was naked enough in the TV version already.
I guess they want the "ero-ero" to stay in. After all with all the sexual overtones who wants to "really" bleed?

Hoo boy.
Yeah she was naked already so let's really put it in your face. But will it change our love for Masane? Nah.

Old 2006-07-28, 14:43   Link #257
xizro345
King's Justice

Very interesting read. Can't wait to see my copy 8P
Old 2006-07-30, 23:29   Link #258
chrno

Lightbulb WITCHBLADE and TOO much time on my hands.

After sitting down and watching both the DVD and TV versions both side-by-side I found out that I’m on crack and I have nothing better to do. I actually enjoyed doing this. I have to say that the TV and DVD version are similar but with moderate changes.

First off, I have to admit that 'Mamiko Noto' is a really soft spoken woman in person. It's amazing that she can get serious at times and let it all out when she acts. This is from the interview segment on the DVD.

To do this little experiment I used ‘WMP’ for one file and ‘MPC’ for another file (DVD version). So timing may be a little different based on the encoding and what someone else might get. Even if that is the case you’ll still get a sense of where those scenes can be located. TV version times are in blue and DVD times are in red. Stand alone times are from scenes that were either in the TV broadcast or DVD versions only and cannot be compared to any particular scene. But will be color coded to correspond with the versions they appear in.

Comparisons and analysis of TV broadcast -vs- DVD vol.1, episode 1:

-Opening narration is different as ChibGoku mentions. Similar but different, as the narration is done by 'Masane' (Mamiko Noto), but there is either additional or rearranged narration giving us her POV of the experience. So we'll need a translation for that. -DVD version

Aside from the 4:3 ratio for the TV and the 16:9 for DVD you see more of the scenes and what seems like longer lengths. But not necessarily. Not to mention clearer and crisper.

-OP sequence for both is first OP but DVD uses 2nd version OP (the one where 'Masane' is struggling to get through the plastic wall). But there are slight differences in the version. Some "cleaned up" and "altered" imagery. Examples as follows:

-'Masane' rearing back while casting her shadow on the wall. In some ways it's almost like you can see if she's wearing her regular clothes. Yet you can see the whole image of the shadow. Could reflect 'WB' form in contrast to her normal self. -DVD version

-Same shot but not as clear. You can barely tell if she was wearing regular clothes or in 'WB' form. But to be honest we really could care less. Plus, you can't see everything on screen. -TV version

-Shot of 'Masane' looking solem. Scene was "altered". Scene displays a different expression running longer than the TV OP. 'Masane' looking down at first but slowly looks up staring into screen. More body shown. Here you get a sense of her inner struggle. Clearer. -DVD version

-Aired version shows similar scene of 'Masane' looking up into the screen but lasts only a few seconds into the length of the song then fades to next scene. Plus, image was enlarged so you can't see as much of her body. -TV version

The interesting thing is that while these shots are slightly different they are still synched up to the music.

-Scene of 'WB artifact' falling against black background still pretty much the same.

-Scene showing 'Masane' lying on the floor with hands behind her back where the 'WB artifact' falls next to her is “altered”, as well as "cleaned up". Shot is longer in length. Basically, she's lying there covered in sweat beads. When the 'WB artifact’ falls and hits the floor it bounces up and flips overs in slow motion until its face down. This is all done while being in synch with the song and 'Masane's reaction. Also, ‘WB artifact’ glows, casting its red light on 'Masane' as well. -DVD version

-Aired version is not as "slick" or "detailed". Also, seems shorter but still in sync with the song. Art is now considered "average" when compared to the "altered version". 'WB artifact' just falls, hits the floor at a faster pace while scene fades to next scene and that’s it. -TV version

-Transformation sequence where 'WBMasane' unleashes the power causing the earth to rise up is the same in both versions. Only difference is that DVD version presents more "skin" and more of the scene. Because nothing is cut off.

-We can clearly see 'Reina' in her 'CB' form. Also, the shot where she strikes out with her blade and moves back is "altered" slightly as the shot does not revert to a "silhouette" like in the TV version. Again, scenes are "cleaned up". -DVD version

-'Masane' rubbing her butt cheeks with blood. Of course you can see it now on “skin” version. And the notorious "V-Blade". -DVD version.

Everything else is the same toward the end of the OP. Just that you can see a little more from side to side. Again, the HUGE difference between hamburger meat and fillet mignon.

Here are some animation "FLUBS" I found in the TV version. Though not really flubs but more like animation checks. Hey they do this in films. Plus, I'm an animation major. Normally, I don't do this unless tempted. This is where it get’s silly. :P

Only if you want to and have seen ep. 1
Spoiler:

Most of the stuff that I’ve managed to pin-point are technical stuff. Mostly in-between frames. From the comparisons made, (between the TV and the DVD versions) while many of us complained about the animation looking off here and there, it seemed that it had to be done this way in order to get the production out. While one team was taking care of the "key" drawings (that remain unchanged) the other team had to fill in just to get the show on schedule. Leaving us these wonderful scenes. With the show finishing its run and the DVDs being released over a period of months, this will give the studio a chance to go back and correct all the stuff that NEEDs correcting. Chances are they probably did the work and are finishing up to put them into the DVD releases.

I've noticed a lot of other changes most of which deal with colorization, lighting, shading, retouching, clarity, resolution etc, etc... I can honestly say that the DVD is a MAJOR and I do mean MAJOR improvement over the TV version. Though this will kind of make the TV version novel in a sense. As many of the scenes were downright laughable. But I doubt the studio will want to look at THOSE shots again. So more than likely the rest of the episodes are going to get upgrades. I couldn’t imagine them releasing those episodes “AS IS” on DVD. As I think back to the boat fight with 'WBMasane' and 'CBShiori' in ep. 7 and laugh. Still one of my all time faves. (0:16:37-:40)

Now all we need are some images to compare the two. Doesn’t have to be what I got, I just felt like writing this. Hope you’ll get a kick out it.

What I noticed in ep. 1 that I didn't notice before.
Only if you’ve watched ep. 1 and have been following speculations.
Spoiler:

Last edited by chrno; 2006-08-09 at 14:22. Reason: I'm a stupid perfectionist.
Old 2006-07-31, 00:47   Link #259
rpgman1

Nicely done chrno. You've went into great detail about the differences between the TV broadcast and DVD version of episode 1. I'm not sure if anyone is going to fansub the DVD version since it's already licensed. If Witchblade will ever be aired on Adult Swim, it will be the TV version. As for the DVD version, it'll be released uncut and reedited by Funimation. Besides, they'll only sell the uncut DVD version since it's not DBZ (meaning releasing them in an edited version and an uncut & reedited version). Funimation doesn't have the finances to release two versions out on DVD. Full Metal Alchemist was successful on Adult Swim as the TV version and the DVD version sales were pretty good if slow to finish the series.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 10:54   Link #260
chrno

Thanks!

Of course I added one little extra thing that I didn't include. Found it this morning. Plus, went back and corrected typos and reworded stuff. I'm done, for now until I find something else to change. But I enjoyed doing it.

In a way that does make sense. Unless they release the DVD version and then edit certain scenes (ie.- skin shots). I thought I had heard that they were going to release the uncut version on TV as well. And if that is true I had wondered how are they were going to pull that off when the Japanese version had to keep it censored up to a point on late night TV? But I'm curious to know how they will be handling it when it comes close to releasing it here.

As far as people not "___ing" it because it's licensed, well that never stopped groups before. If anything I expected it to happen once the first vol. appeared. But apparently people were curious, so curious in fact that I don't even know if the reason behind it was because they knew "something". And if there were requests for the first DVD then there will be requests for the others. Now that's a lot of money to shell out for R2s. Oh well.

As for me, I'll be looking forward to it coming stateside. I do want it as part of my collection. At least FUNimation should have no reason to screw up the title heading. I just hope that they treat it with justice. Of course I'll miss the TV broadcast. Now I'm even more curious to see another ep. so I can compare that)

Man I gotta go back and watch ep. 17, and 18 is right around the corner. Sheesh!

Last edited by chrno; 2006-08-02 at 12:06.