AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2012-07-09, 15:38   Link #1
Kyuu
=^^=

Anime Convention forum

Hmm. How about having a section in this site for these? A collection of convention threads, which can be used to help with meet-ups and stuff. Unless, thread tagging under "conventions" is enough.

I've had plenty of personal experience of meeting up people via an anime forum and at anime conventions. On my account, these have been a lot of fun. From what I garnish from the Anime Expo thread, I am assuming people from here met up and had fun together. So, a forum subsection on conventions may help boost the community aspect here.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 19:03   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Theoretically people could just make new threads for a specific convention if it was just about meeting up. However, I think another benefit of having a forum specifically for it would be that people could more easily discover new conventions happening around them (or just new conventions in general).

It's been years since I last attended a convention, and I don't plan to attend any others... but I like this idea. It would serve as both a nice service (convention news) and a social link for members who are attending.
Old 2012-07-09, 19:25   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Speaking totally personally here, I don't necessarily see a major problem with this idea (though I'd want to hear what the other staff think too), but one thing I think we would want to make clear is who is allowed to create threads for new conventions, what counts as a "convention", and what are the rules are advertising and the like. Normally our Forum Rules don't allow you to promote any event you're associated with, but I imagine that if we had a dedicated forum for conventions (and if it became somewhat popular), some convention organizers may want to post about their convention here. We'd want to a) have some rules about how that's done, and b) make sure people don't create duplicate threads (just so they can own the first post or for whatever other reason).

Edit: I think we'd also want to have a rule about what should be in the title; I think at least Name, Dates, and Location.
Old 2012-07-09, 19:38   Link #4
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I don't necessarily see a major problem with this idea (though I'd want to hear what the other staff think too
I agree with the idea as well, but I also feel that it needs clear rules as for how it will work.

Interesting thread:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...me+conventions
Old 2012-07-15, 07:07   Link #5
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Interesting, I was actually about to shoot off a PM to a mod before I found this thread...
SMASH! marked the first anime/manga convention that I've attended (with two of my friends), and I definitely had a blast. I was hoping to share some of my experiences there, but I wasn't sure if it warranted it's own thread (6000 seems like a pretty small number for a con).
The original idea I had was just to have a single pinned thread, but that would've probably grown to an uncontrollable extent, with fragmented conversation/discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
We'd want to a) have some rules about how that's done, and b) make sure people don't create duplicate threads (just so they can own the first post or for whatever other reason).
I'm curious as to what kind of restrictions will be placed on the creation of convention threads if the sub-forum idea goes ahead. If thread creation were restricted only to "verified" convention organisers (or someone with permission to act on their behalf) and/or the moderators, it might be difficult for threads for smaller or newer conventions. Ultimately though, it might be easier to restrict creation of threads to the mods to avoid duplicates, but may create more (and possibly unnecessary) work for you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Edit: I think we'd also want to have a rule about what should be in the title; I think at least Name, Dates, and Location.
Should a thread be created for each iteration of a convention (particularly if it is being held at a different venue than the previous year)? Or should there be one thread per event limit? Conventions such as the Supanova pop culture expo, which are held in multiple places throughout the year, may pose a problem.

The potential format for this sub-forum could work similarly to the current limited sub-forums for anime series: thread creation is limited to mods, and a request for new convention threads be available to users. For a request, the bare minimum should be a link to the convention's website and a brief description of the convention itself. The convention itself should focus on pop culture/anime & manga/Japanese culture(?) in general. My main concern is if requests get ignored, rather than outright approved/rejected.
Old 2012-07-15, 08:41   Link #6
brocko

I think an events/conventions subforum would be a great idea.

I don't think any special rules would necessarily be required though, apart from proper thread labeling. If someone is careless enough to be making a duplicate thread, just hit them with a warning and lock it or merge it or whatever it is that the mods do. Nothing new that's not already standard procedure right now. And I doubt it'd be that big of a frequently recurring offense either. At least not to the point to be holding off on the idea altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
I'm curious as to what kind of restrictions will be placed on the creation of convention threads if the sub-forum idea goes ahead. If thread creation were restricted only to "verified" convention organisers (or someone with permission to act on their behalf) and/or the moderators, it might be difficult for threads for smaller or newer conventions. Ultimately though, it might be easier to restrict creation of threads to the mods to avoid duplicates, but may create more (and possibly unnecessary) work for you guys.

The potential format for this sub-forum could work similarly to the current limited sub-forums for anime series: thread creation is limited to mods, and a request for new convention threads be available to users. For a request, the bare minimum should be a link to the convention's website and a brief description of the convention itself. The convention itself should focus on pop culture/anime & manga/Japanese culture(?) in general. My main concern is if requests get ignored, rather than outright approved/rejected.
Thread restriction will only hinder the effectiveness of such a subforum imo. Mods and/or event organisers won't be able to have as great of a coverage as the general populace of the community in identify and sharing events/conventions. That extra step to get a thread creation "approved" can be off-putting to many and as a result may very well stifle potential event/convention discussion+promotion from ever prospering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Should a thread be created for each iteration of a convention (particularly if it is being held at a different venue than the previous year)? Or should there be one thread per event limit? Conventions such as the Supanova pop culture expo, which are held in multiple places throughout the year, may pose a problem.
I think it'd be best if there was a new thread for each different event. But I can see how certain cases can get a little iffy so it might just be better to let the community dictate things themselves and see what people gravitate towards.
Megathreads should be avoided where ever possible though. It's just a pain to digging within them for the relevant info when you really shouldn't have to.
I.E: If it's something like an annual event, make a new thread for each year. You don't want relevant info being buried and hidden within pages and pages of discussion.

If it's something like this: http://www.madman.com.au/reelanime/
where the movies are going to be screened in different places all throughout the same time period (or closely timed intervals). Then the one thread for it should suffice, since each new location probably wouldn't generate enough discussion to warrant it's own thread.

In fact the level of activity and discussion generated could be the determining factor in deciding whether a multiple location event should be split up or not.

-----

To me, this new section doesn't really need much to get it off the ground at all. It'd just be like having another Upcoming Series section. People are already making great 1st posts in those with all the relevant info, so I mean why can't they do so for this new one?

I believe the people here at Animesuki are sensible enough to be making the good judgement calls themselves. And if there is an odd case of the one person getting it wrong, there's always the mods to provide a helping hand

I propose that there at least be the country, name and year be included in the title and to strictly enforce it as such. I feel perhaps city and month are also up for debate as well, but it shouldn't get any more exact than those for a thread title. Street names, exact locations and dates should be in the 1st post if people really require it and may be too much detail for a thread title.

So for example:
[AUS] Supernova 2012 (Brisbane)
[AUS] Supernova 2012 (Sydney)
[AUS] Reel Anime 2012 (Syd, Melb, Brisb, etc)
[USA] Anime Expo 2012 (LA)
[JP]Comiket 2012 (Tokyo)

Something along the lines of those would be ideal imo.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 00:39   Link #7
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I would like to second brocko's suggestion of enforcing the title of the convention threads, with the 3-letter country code, convention name, year and city.
With the opening post, probably bare minimum would be to include:
  • the full name of the convention,
  • location (venue),
  • date and times (start & finish),
  • ticket price (in local currency),
  • special guests (probably optional, but it would be best to include).

Something I was thinking about a while ago was the issue of posting cosplay photos, so maybe we may need specific rules for the proposed forum as well.
Proposed cosplay photo rules:
  • Don't take pictures or post pictures of convention attendees and cosplayers without their permission. (For SMASH, the Japanese guests specifically requested not to be photographed)
  • Links to a public photo gallery managed by the convention organiser are allowed (e.g. this and this). (And links to photos that were taken by the media and the convention organiser?)
  • (How about handling takedown requests?)
Old 2012-07-19, 13:19   Link #8
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

We didn't have any problems meeting up with just the Anime Expo thread, but I'm all for more organization so even less clutter has a chance to appear.