AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-08-16, 19:17   Link #621
Sleepy100
*snore**snore* zzz.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
VF-19 Valkyries were being distributed to fleets and colonies and allied planets around 2046-47.

Macross Frontier is set at 2059. Almost 20 years after Shinsei Industry won the contract with the VF-19.

As can be observed with Macross 7 fleet's Emerald squadron (VF-19F and VF-19S) and Zola Galaxy Patrol (VF-19P).

Elite squadrons such as the one on the carrier Vahalla III (VFX) and VFX Ravens squadron of the Saratoga II utilize VF-19A Valkyries.

But it seems during 2047 colony fleets like Macross 7 opted the VF-17 as their mainline fighter while elite squadrons use the VF-22.

I think General Galaxy made the VF-17 cheaper and developed its successor the VF-171.

The VF-171 doesn't appear to have the beam weapon attachment for the gunpod like the VF-17. If they did Frontier NUNS wouldn't need Brera and his Antares squadron. Frontier NUNS has shown themselves as capable as the local SMS but for a bunch of cyborg foreigners to upstage them well..

The thing is before Isamu Dyson got exiled as a test pilot at New Edwards on Eden for project Supernova the YF-19 test pilots were either killed or maimed.

Meaning it was too high performance that it needed an ace level pilot.

Not everybody is an ace pilot. Not to mention how much a VF-19 cost. I feel sorry for Ray and Operation M as they will have to pay for the VF-19P Basara "rented" from Zola Galaxy Patrol.
Then, what would be the point of having the VF-25? I'm assuming that the SMS is testing the VF-25 to replace the VF-171. And that the VF-25 is overall better than the VF-22.
Sleepy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 19:19   Link #622
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy100 View Post
Then, what would be the point of having the VF-25? I'm assuming that the SMS is testing the VF-25 to replace the VF-171.
The VF-25 is the non-ace fighter, which doesn't require incredible combat reflexes to pilot. It's probably also cheaper to mass-produce, since it lacks a lot of the extra gadgetry which contributed to the cost of the VF-19; think of it like the F-35 to the VF-19's F-22.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 19:23   Link #623
Sleepy100

Everybody keep saying costs of the birds and while I don't deny the expenses, does anybody have cost comparison data? Like actual monetary numbers?
Old 2008-08-16, 19:53   Link #624
March

There are no such figures for the Macross mecha. The official trivia only describes the Valkyries and the equipment as more or less expensive with respect to each other.

For example, the VF-5000 Star Mirage is officially described as much cheaper than the VF-4 Lightning III. Designs like the composite material wing ("morphing wing") of the YF-21 is described as too expensive for mass production. Other cost factors are mentioned throughout the official trivia and Macross Frontier specifically describes the New United Nations Government operating under a capitalist economic system.

So yes, money always matters
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 20:05   Link #625
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

And the VF-1 being the cheapest of them all, now a collector's item at a military surplus near you!

- Tak (I just had to do it)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 20:12   Link #626
Sleepy100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And the VF-1 being the cheapest of them all, now a collector's item at a military surplus near you!

I'll take one in black.
Old 2008-08-16, 22:38   Link #627
grss1982

Quote:

Uhmmmm.....I'll take one. I specifcally want a VF-1S in Skull Leader (Roy Fokker) colors, or if you don't have that available I'll settle for a VF-1A in Max Jenius colors. Bottom line is I'll take anything that isn't a VF-1A in brown or green.
Old 2008-08-16, 23:07   Link #628
Sleepy100

Quote:

Quote:
I'll take one in black.
Correction, I'll buy a VF-11B in black. Have any in stock, Tak?
Old 2008-08-17, 07:13   Link #629
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Correction, I'll buy a VF-11B in black. Have any in stock, Tak?
Psst~! Lochier's product catalog has everything. Valkyries, fold boosters, reaction weapons...Space Whale meat.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 15:04   Link #630
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Quote:
Then, what would be the point of having the VF-25? I'm assuming that the SMS is testing the VF-25 to replace the VF-171. And that the VF-25 is overall better than the VF-22.
Don't for get only ace pilots could fly the full potential of the VF-19 and VF-22 because of the strain they put on the pilots body.

The VF-25 has specific technology that will allow anyone to fly them at high performance. Additonally, the EX-Gear system wasn't around when they made the VF-19/22

For me it's still debatable whether or not the VF-171 is EX-Gear ready.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 02:18   Link #631
Sleepy100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Psst~! Lochier's product catalog has everything. Valkyries, fold boosters, reaction weapons...Space Whale meat.
Show me, I hear Space Whale meat is tasty this time of year. Want some? I'm willing to share.
Old 2008-08-18, 08:33   Link #632
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Fail. Space Whale meat is not for eating. (Now where's that member who posts space whale facts at the slightest excuse? Ah found one here.)

Last edited by CaptGloval; 2008-08-18 at 09:08.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 12:44   Link #633
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

can I get a full transformation sequence of the vf's in macross F? Does those jets run of fuel or something? battery? I really wan't to know. Just curious.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 12:54   Link #634
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

With regards to the lack of VF-19s in Frontier's fleet, word of God from Kawamori is that if he put the VF-19 in there, the audience would get confused as to the hero fighter, which is not what you want for a Macross series - each series has had its own distinctive valk, and putting the VF-19, which iconised plus, into Frontier just makes things confusing.

Not to mention the fact that the VF-19 was an OMGWTFPWN fighter, so if Kawamori turned it into cannon fodder he'd unleash a massive global tsunami of nerd rage.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 15:54   Link #635
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
can I get a full transformation sequence of the vf's in macross F? Does those jets run of fuel or something? battery? I really wan't to know. Just curious.
Reaction reactors, basically fusion reactors
Old 2008-08-18, 20:32   Link #636
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
- each series has had its own distinctive valk, and putting the VF-19, which iconised plus, into Frontier just makes things confusing.
Not to mention that it was also the personal fighter of Nekki Basara in Macross 7 (which helped to cement it as the "OMGWTFPWN fighter.").

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 20:43   Link #637
grss1982

Posted this originally in MW. Thought some of you might be interested.

Recently.....I just re-watched episode 14 and I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, but I think this is the first episosde (Episode 14 I mean) where we first see those missiles in the booster parts of the Super Pack fire.

Some pics from Episode 14:

ALSO...It seems that the Super Pack can carry FOUR nukes as well. On the WINGS no less!!!

Some screencaps from Episode 17:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2q21zk1.jpg

Well would you look at that. Even Luca gets to fire off some Reaction Missiles. He really isn't that useless, as some would like to think.

Too bad his Ghosts could'nt carry any, because if they did that would have been TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

http://i37.tinypic.com/149p69y.jpg

Alto firing some.

Last edited by grss1982; 2008-08-18 at 20:44. Reason: Some of this pics were too big. Providing links instead.
grss1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 17:00   Link #638
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I'd rather not have reaction weapon in AI hands :P
Old 2008-08-19, 20:06   Link #639
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

I think that was an Armored Pack, not his usual Super Pack. Alto was given permission to use them when he went to rescue Ranka.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 23:14   Link #640
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

some screencaps from Episode 17:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2q21zk1.jpg

Nope that's distinctly the super pack, it's definitely missing the extra launchers on the wings, the under hung laser cannons, and the raddome on back.