AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-11-26, 14:52   Link #1461
toblivericuknow

Hmm, okay. I'll take the chance ^___^ Since I do like "laughs in the beginning and sad stories in the end with a mixture of fantasy within". Thanks ^_^
Old 2006-11-26, 23:28   Link #1462
DanielSong39

Good luck; make sure to check out the 2002 anime and the manga as well for the full Kanon experience. All based on the same story - yet drasticly different in their approach.

The plot elements hold their own for the most part... your impression of the characters will likely make or break the series. If the characters are good enough, the far-out scenarios won't bother you.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 23:36   Link #1463
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Neither Toei Kanon nor the manga Kanon is actually canon though (sorry for the bad pun). They're what you might call re-envisionings; based on the original, yet omitting quite a bit of detail.

Do go ahead and try them. If you want the actual full story though, there's nowhere to go but the game itself. However, if you're like me and can't read Japanese for nuts, sticking with KyoAni's Kanon for now will get you as close to the original as currently possible.

Your call as to which to go for first.

EDIT: Oh yes, be warned if you do actually decided to go for Toei 2k2 Kanon or the manga first, you'll be spoiling yourself pretty bad....I learned this the hard way.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 11:58   Link #1464
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Will try to look up some of those series. I stared watching Shuffle when it first came out but stopped due to time so never really found out how that whole situation ended up. Same for Da Capo, only saw the first two episodes before dropping it due to time. Will try to check out those two among the others as well.

I will be looking at the 2002 version of Kanon though. Perhaps I'll like that version better.
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 23:02   Link #1465
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

O... somebody spoofed Kanon OP good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_onRho2vk"Kannon"

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 13:22   Link #1466
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I just finished the Kanon manga that was spun off the (game?movie?thinair?). Though it had parts that were cute and a couple of tragic moments --- I have to say anyone reading it first before playing the game or seeing the anime would be seriously misled about the story. Much of it was just cutely drawn comedy bits but it truncated many storylines and it was --- (massive manga spoilers, avoid if you haven't read it)
Spoiler:

Generally, at least so far I'd have to arrange most enjoyed to least enjoyed as:
Original Game --> Kanon 2006 --> Kanon2002 --> Kanon manga.
As always, Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 2006-12-06, 16:25   Link #1467
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

http://smallassassin.blog67.fc2.com/blog-entry-641.html
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 22:20   Link #1468
DanielSong39

Well, it's official; KyoAni is going the modular route.

1-6: Introduction
7-10: Makoto
11-14: Mai
(15-18: Shiori)
(19-24: Ayu/Nayuki)

At least that's my prediction - let's see how close they are.
Old 2006-12-07, 22:33   Link #1469
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Well, it's official; KyoAni is going the modular route.

1-6: Introduction
7-10: Makoto
11-14: Mai
(15-18: Shiori)
(19-24: Ayu/Nayuki)

At least that's my prediction - let's see how close they are.
The fact that preview for episode 11 showed Ayu cooking with Akiko says they're not going with modular.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 23:32   Link #1470
DanielSong39

I'm actually rooting for the modular route; let's see if they will flesh out Mai's story in full.

Quite possibly the most versatile among the paths. If Key had chosen to designate her as the main "lead", I don't think we would have had many complaints.
Old 2006-12-07, 23:46   Link #1471
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
I'm actually rooting for the modular route; let's see if they will flesh out Mai's story in full.

Quite possibly the most versatile among the paths. If Key had chosen to designate her as the main "lead", I don't think we would have had many complaints.
To flesh out Mai's story in full, you need some of the Ayu bits in it to setup the background, there is no get around it. I predict Kyoani will be donig the exact same thing with how they used Mai to enhance both Makoto and Mai's character. I am positive they will use Ayu's screen time and presences to explain what came about with Mai, and only until the very end will they shift the focus on Mai alone, like in the case of Makoto. This should not be interpreted as a modular approach because we clearly see how the stories are connected.

Modular approach doesn't work with Kanon, end of story.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 00:08   Link #1472
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

That would be a pleasant surprise, if Mai's arc gets resolved the last. ^^;

Cheers.
Old 2006-12-08, 00:25   Link #1473
DanielSong39

Hoping for a Mai ending, but it's destined to go down in flames.

Wonder whether they'll pull a Toei and have her end up with someone else.
Old 2006-12-08, 00:27   Link #1474
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Starting with this post, I'm handing out negative rep for untagged spoilers
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 14:25   Link #1475
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

I'm having a hard time with people who've been saying that Yuuichi is a jerk and the girls like him for no reason. Not just this forum but on other anime forums I visit the consensus from many is that the girls are all crazy for liking someone who's so mean to them. I don't understand where they're coming from.

Makoto, deserved being picked on. From the start she was exceptionally rude and unforgiving to the boy but people understand that one, Tsundere couple I guess.

Mai, she gets picked on a little but I see it as more Yuuichi being playful in order to try opening her up. She's incredibly aloof and Yuuichi has admitted to being happy just having her say anything. I don't see him picking on her anyway, sometimes he jabs at her with something but immediately says it's a joke.

Nayuki, well that one's more complicated. I find him comfortable with Nayuki, she's more of a little sister then anything for Yuuichi right now and people always pick on sisters. I think any feelings she may have for him are from the past. Present conditions may be forgivable to a good degree.

Shiori, he does pick on her for being out in the cold when she's ill. That shows more caring then anything. If she ends up liking him it'll be because he's concerned for her and we can see that in how he treats her.

Ayu, I think he's more playful with her. She's easily picked on and her reactions to being picked on are usually very cute. Also he's not intentionally mean to her and we can see from expressions in both Ayu and Yuuichi that they enjoy being with each other. I can't get much into more explaining for fear of spoilers but as with Nayuki we've seen that she knew Yuuichi already and feelings for him may also dwell in the past.
KenOhki'sRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 14:31   Link #1476
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Huh ?

The vast majority i know think Yuichi is a great harem lead, and i am jumping on the bandwagon. His actions might be considered mean only towards Nayuki... i think he is taking her for granted to some extent. (And i also think we will hear from Nayuki about this issue at some point, which, i imagine, will make Yuichi feel rather guilty about it.) So...aside from miss-treating Nayuki somewhat, he is a very good male lead. If some one has problems with understanding sarcasm (which is strong in Yuichi) it is their problem.
Old 2006-12-13, 14:36   Link #1477
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

I guess it's more on the Animenation page and a few gaming forums with anime sections then here. I keep getting comments like Yuuichi's the man, he gets girls even when he mistreats them. Or, why do these girls even like this jerk?
KenOhki'sRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 21:07   Link #1478
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
I'm actually rooting for the stupidest method of telling the story of Kanon just because I know shit all about a show I don't like but can't stop watching; let's see if they will do this story as stupidly as I hope they will just because my pea brain cannot comprehend anything else.
Fixed for accuracy.

And you know, here's a thought about something that could potentially happen after the main storyline of Kanon. It's a stretch of the imagination, but oh, how plausible it could be...

Spoiler for MASSIVE SPOILERS for both Kanon and AIR...:
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 22:18   Link #1479
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenOhki'sRage View Post
I guess it's more on the Animenation page and a few gaming forums with anime sections then here. I keep getting comments like Yuuichi's the man, he gets girls even when he mistreats them. Or, why do these girls even like this jerk?
One of the reasons I'm over here versus most other places is I find the maturity level a bit higher here (with some glaring exceptions). Enough people here seem to grasp the complexities of relationships and the need for care a bit better. I enjoy comparing notes with them. It probably has to do with experience. "Yuuichi's the man, he gets girls even when he mistreats them" informs me that the speaker is misogynist, misunderstands what Yuuichi is doing, and doesn't even grasp the status of the relationships in the story. I can only hope they're young and are confusing their acquaintences for *friends* and minor interactions with girls for *relationships*.
One might say that someone who's actually been in a few successful tactical assaults is more worth listening to for useful advice than someone who has only been in a few practice simulations.
Old 2006-12-14, 00:13   Link #1480
New/Old
Old to the New

Hmm... Yes. I've always been miffed at those comments on Yuuichi. Ah well.

I've been enjoying it here very much and appreciate all the excellent comments here. Hope to continue enjoying it here for a much longer time.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen