AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-01, 03:28   Link #61
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

I chose one because she seemed fitting to Haruhi to me for some reason. #2 was also very good, imo. However, she just didn't appeal to me the same way, I don't know why specifically.

#3 Sounded like she just got back from her cheerocracy meeting.

#4 was very clear, but to flat.

#5 was pretty good, but just not fitting imo.

One thing I noticed, is I have to take out of my mind the Japanese dubbing, and how good it was a little. Because the dubs for this show were far better than most shows out there. So setting the bar that incredibly high for the English VAs is probably setting it TOO high. The Japanese VAs were just exceptional, and you would be hard pressed to find any English VAs that good. Also, Japanese just sounds WAY different from English.
Old 2007-01-01, 03:34   Link #62
Setsuna Asuka

And some of these choices are the best in the industry right now.

Hell, at least Ocean isn't dubbing it<_<
Old 2007-01-01, 03:37   Link #63
aegismode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226 View Post
One thing I noticed, is I have to take out of my mind the Japanese dubbing
Yeah I have to do the same, or I'll start hating the English VAs and that's not gonna help. You just have to stop comparing them.

Now I started to understand why there are Seiyuu Otakus in Japan. Some of the really deserve the stardom.
Old 2007-01-01, 03:39   Link #64
Green²
It's bacon!

Bunny girl 2.0 if we go with #1.
Old 2007-01-01, 04:06   Link #65
diopter

The do-or-die moment for the fans:

#1: First one and got a fairly good impression with the voice acting.

#2: Kate Higgins seemed to have recycled her Sakura (from Naruto) voice into this one. So what I got from #2 was a lobotomized Sakura with a hint of Haruhi's personality.

#3: A bit too old to fit Haruhi's face. I tried very hard to picture Haruhi with the voice, and it just doesn't work.

#4: Something with the overall pitch of the voice that just doesn't seem right. In addition, there is no change in the tone of her voice like the other ones (sounded very flat and apathetic).

#5: Like others have said, it started off very good. But somehow, it slowly spiraled its descent into crap. Case in point, the very last time where she says, "a mysterious transfer student" sounded like, quoting Kyon in episode 2, "a dangerous kidnapper" .

Therefore, by process of elimination, I ended up voting for #1, but #2 came a close second (reason below).

After hearing all of the English VA choices, I went back and listened to Aya Hirano's. Wow. I know it's redundant at this point, but I never really appreciated (more like taking it for granted by now) her voice until we got this panel of, at best, average selections.

Another question where people should think about before voting: who do you want to sing the two songs in Live a live? At this point we don't know if they'll dub the songs or just leave them in Japanese. But the possibility of dubbing is very real and I think people should take this into consideration when they vote. I know Kate's a singer so she'll fare decently, but I'm not sure if anyone else - in this voting poll - can sing well. So I was very tempted to just vote for #2 in hopes of me not ripping off my ears if and when I hear the songs.
Old 2007-01-01, 04:23   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sorry.. I was about to say something pithy and suddenly remembered the old classic "Whats Up, Tiger Lily?" ...In comic Woody Allen's film debut, he took the Japanese action film "International Secret Police: Key of Keys" and re-dubbed it, changing the plot to make it revolve around a secret egg salad recipe. It was hilarious for its time but has not aged well at all.

Unfortunately, I'm not smiling when I listen to most of these candidates even if I just completely clear my mind of the original VAs. I'm getting "can't modulate voice" "sounds bored" " hasn't studied the character" and "what is this about?" subchannel vibes. I'd really *like* to be able to show this to my wife (who prefers dubs because the subtitle fonts give her headaches at times) and NOT have her ask "what the hell was it you liked about this?"
Old 2007-01-01, 04:25   Link #67
aegismode

I would boycott R1 DVD if they re-do the songs in English. I really want to buy R1 so I really hope they leave it intact. Especially God Knows...
Old 2007-01-01, 04:30   Link #68
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegismode View Post
I would boycott R1 DVD if they re-do the songs in English. I really want to buy R1 so I really hope they leave it intact. Especially God Knows...
You do realize that the Japanese songs will still be on the Japanese langauge option, right? Besides, they'd already have your money from the first 3 DVDs (assuming my calcuations are correct) by the time they got to Live a Live.
Old 2007-01-01, 04:44   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Absolutely don't worry about the english dubs if you don't like them. Every R1 DVD I've purchased in the last several years has had the original japanese audio tracks available with subtitles in English if you want them.

Totoro's English track does the music in english ... but then Disney actually hires a fair grade of talent and works hard to cast english VAs well for their japanese imports and puts the polish on them. Its one of the few dubs I can stand to listen to that has music pieces in it.
Old 2007-01-01, 04:57   Link #70
aegismode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroidFanatic View Post
You do realize that the Japanese songs will still be on the Japanese langauge option, right? Besides, they'd already have your money from the first 3 DVDs (assuming my calcuations are correct) by the time they got to Live a Live.
Yeah well I'll wait til then Chances are we'll know before then anyway.

Seriously, it would take a lot of extra goodies for me to buy R1 if they decided to go that low. I doubt they would, given the respect they've given to the fans. Re-doing Japanese songs into English is just one of my pet-peeves. I can't stand them like I can't stand Hollywood remake of Japanese films.

Please Bandai/KadoUSA, don't fail me now!
Old 2007-01-01, 05:04   Link #71
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
So far, there was one voice I found really good, that was Mikuru #2.
I didn't like any of the choices for Yuki, Itsuki, Kyon or Haruhi. I tried to picture the characters in my mind while listening to the voices and it just didn't match any of them.

I'll definitely try the english dub on the R1 release, maybe it won't be as bad as I suspect it to be with soundtrack and soundeffects added but I still suppose I'll be stuck with subtitles on my screen.
Old 2007-01-01, 06:18   Link #72
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
lets see my pick for goddess haruhi

1) hmm fistey and genki ~ quite good imo
2) not enough "haruhi" emotion in her tone
3) bland :/
4) too squeaky for haruhi imo...their isnt much breath in her voice ~
5) heh...i think she got tired half way and stopped putting in effort and tried a bit to hard ~ good start...if only she could keep up with the pace :/

>.< cant get the words "mysterious transfer student" out of my head now T_T

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-01-01, 07:02   Link #73
General_Norris
Ouendan member

I voted for the first. It is not as good as the original but it seemed the best of all. The fifth was good too but I didn't liked it as much.
Old 2007-01-01, 07:58   Link #74
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
OH. MY. GAWD!

My ears bled from some of the choices in Itsuki's dubbing.

Click Here

1) Not a bad voice actually, but somewhat wrong for Itsuki. It was... too serious?

2) Fail, fail, FAIL! Itsuki's voice is one of optimism and smug confidence. This VA sounded so unsure and nervous.

3) Bland.

4) Now we're talking. There was enthusiasm in his voice, which reflects the carefree nature of Itsuki in the show.

5) Win.

Cheers.
I clicked on your link, and this is what I got:

"WARNING
Your action has created a 404 Error in the space-time continuum."

Thanks a lot, Skane.
Old 2007-01-01, 08:00   Link #75
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
That'd be because the 1st 4 voice polls were taken down, and the Haruhi voice poll will also be taken down once it's been up for 24 hours.
Old 2007-01-01, 08:28   Link #76
chrno_the_sinner

#1 for Haruhi. Kari Wahlgreen for the win. I know she can act. I went listening to the drama tracks for ilovebees and she did a really good job at acting. Plus her Cher (Wolf's Rain) was really good too.
Old 2007-01-01, 10:39   Link #77
Setsuna Asuka

Remember guys, this is just an audition.

I doubt they had the time to get into character, not to mention a casting director<_<
Old 2007-01-01, 11:59   Link #78
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Haruhi - #5. They were all poor, but number 5 was the least poor. Looks like my fears were confirmed.

The link for Kyon's doesn't work.
Old 2007-01-01, 12:27   Link #79
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
They took down all of the others' polls so if you miss your chance, well tough luck.
Old 2007-01-01, 13:02   Link #80
Cloud05
Haruhi Fanatic

Well, I ended up voting number three. She sounds a little bit old at times, but I think she captures Haruhi the best out of the bunch.
Closed Thread