AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-01-28, 20:13   Link #1
Hikari no Clover

Pokemon VS YUGIOH who earns more money ?

A friend and i just had a disagreement about who is better when it comes to money making.
This is no doubt that both are great brands, can't really think of anything that can beat either one here, except that Mario may have the potential, in term of game selling, Mario outplays Pokemon and of course YUGIOH. However when it comes to overall merchandise sales (Game,Toy,Comics,Movie etc), who is better?

Pokemon has the advantages in kid's market, anime, movie and pokemon center stores set up to brainwash young people, also has monster sales in gaming and toy fields etc (good at promotion). On the other hand YUGIOH is much more simpler, just trading card (and weaker anime propaganda), but it can't deny the fact that over 25 billion cards have been sold globally.

So, who earns more? does anyone have reliable sources or something?
Old 2012-01-28, 21:12   Link #2
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

this article is from 2009...but Pokemon is quite the cash cow, $24 billion in world-wide sales at the time.

http://www.vooks.net/story-18529-Pok...old-a-lot.html
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 21:16   Link #3
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Very likely Pokemon. Pokemon is universally known. Even your grandma probably knows about it. Yugioh... not so much.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 21:17   Link #4
Who

Pokemon. YGO's fanbase demographics aren't as big as Pokemon.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 21:24   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I did a quick search but couldn't find any recent articles detailing how much money either series brings in. My guess would be Pokemon, though. The franchise is more established (larger anime series and more movies, more video games) and, at least in the North American market, it came first. It helps that the name "Pokemon" is more memorable to English speakers than "Yu Gi Oh," as well.
Old 2012-01-29, 02:04   Link #6
Dr. Casey

Pokemon earns more money than pretty much anything else in the world ever.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 02:33   Link #7
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Pokemon is definitely the franchise that makes the larger income of the two. I think it manages to appeal to a much wider demographic than Yu-Gi-Oh is capable of doing. Not to mention that since the late 90's Pokemon has been a very mainstream series internationally. Heck, there's even a company called "The Pokemon Company" for a couple years now.

Despite that though, in my personal opinion I like Yu-Gi-Oh more. The creatures featured in it are a lot cooler, the plots and characters are a lot darker and the other forms of media (anime, trading card game) surrounding the original manga I still find entertaining and fun.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Pokemon. I'm never going to drop it completely. It's just I only really ever buy a single game version for each new generation anymore since the Diamond & Pearl games. I've given up on the other forms of media too.
Old 2012-01-29, 03:20   Link #8
Kyuu
=^^=

Pokemon has the backbone of Nintendo and its advertising/marketing power. What does Yugioh have? Trap cards?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 09:45   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

LOL. Well, technically, you have to check the companies’ books or reports in order to know it for sure. If not, you can only get speculations.

As for my own speculation, I guess it’s Pokemon since the game is more accessible to children than Yu-Gi-Oh!, and children is a huge market. Then again, Yu-Gi-Oh is originally a manga and pokemon is a video game. You know that the price of a game often top those of mangas, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Pokemon has the backbone of Nintendo and its advertising/marketing power. What does Yugioh have? Trap cards?
It doesn’t need any Trap Cards. Yu-Gi-Oh! is already very lucky to be this much popular. The trading cards itself is not something originally backed and designed by a company but due to its popularity for the uniquely-designed monsters and exciting gameplay in the manga, people wanted the M&W cards in the manga to be made real cards. So, they went and advertise the trading cards products along with the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters anime.
Old 2012-01-30, 21:22   Link #10
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Pokemon wins hands down...

But I enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh more.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 22:31   Link #11
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Seto Kaiba.

Oh you mean in the real world.
Old 2012-01-31, 21:57   Link #12
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Pokemon because it seems it has a wider audience than Yu Gi Oh.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 15:04   Link #13
justavisitor

wikipedia states that yu gi oh has become the top selling card game around the world...that has to mean something XD

But like what Obelisk ze Tormentor said, card game was not the what they had planned and it is quite amazing to look back and see how the "accident" (readers like the concept of the card game) kicked start the business.

I think Pokemon makes more money,but I am more interested to see which hype would cool down first...the one who depends on the same main character to keep catching pokeman for 10+ years or the other one who depends on animes (and the anime has reached the fourth generation already) to sell cards XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 16:26   Link #14
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Pokemon.

Reason: Merchandise.

/thread