AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 57 36.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 35.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 19.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.21%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-14, 17:07   Link #121
ricerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
I think many people here differentiate between "panty flash" and "bloomers".

I think I'm going to miss the MMORPG references in this episode...at least there's still that Initial D sequence.
hah, wait til kona's dad shows up, then there should be whole truckloads of galgame references for ya (at least if kyoani sticks to the manga.... which they haven't done that much >.>)
Old 2007-05-14, 22:47   Link #122
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
semi-offtopic til the episode releases: If I order one manga from Japan (to the US West Coast) from amazon.co.jp - typically it doubles the overall cost of the book (e.g. 990yen -> ~1800yen). (SNIP)
On the other hand, a trip to Kinokuniya runs about 30 miles round trip (about 1.5 gallons of gas at $3.50/gal) plus time spent and their markup so it kind of washes out.
If you don't want to get nailed for shipping or driving, yesasia has free shipping and their prices are usually comparable to Kinokuniya. The only problem is finding the stuff on their site might require the ISBNs.

As for the release, roll a 1d6 and guess what day it corresponds to.
Old 2007-05-14, 23:58   Link #123
krln99

What's great about LS is how these girls' lives don't happen "in a vaccum," i.e. without adult supervision. How many times in a school anime do you think, "Where the hell are the parents?!" In LS, we actually see them, and they become a part of the story.

The Hiiragi family seems to be the most "normal," (probably the only thing abnormal being it has a lot of kids, four, and all girls), and their father seems to be fairly attentive, making sure his daughters study, clean their rooms, etc.

I don't think Miyuki's mom is "evil" per se, rather, she is well intentioned but ends up causing her daughter undue stress and anxiety.

Kona's dad, who we have yet to see, is the inspiration for his daughter's otaku-ness. Nuff said.
Old 2007-05-15, 00:55   Link #124
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
~
By the way, with all the talk about KyoAni having no panty-flashes, has anyone mentioned the mass panty-flash in the OP?
~
Those are bloomers, not panties.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-15, 00:59   Link #125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.. the inclusion of everyone's families really hikes this anime/manga up the scale in my favorites (no imaginary parentless world). They don't overshadow the main antics but they participate. ... kind of like just now, I threw a nerf arrow at my son to turn his music down a bit (mom is sleeping). He and I share an office: he's studying for AP Chem whilst I work on a mail server installation and goof off here.

Skane: Is *that* what they call those exercise briefs that cheerleaders wear under their skirts in Singapore? ((when I think of bloomers, I think of gothic fashion-style frilly shorts))

@bayoab: thanks... I'd dropped yesasia a couple of years ago after getting burned 4 or 5 times on limited edition items they said they had ---- then weeks would go by, they'd delay and then admit they didn't have it. By then everyone else was sold out. But I'll give them a looksee again.
Old 2007-05-15, 01:05   Link #126
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krln99 View Post
What's great about LS is how these girls' lives don't happen "in a vaccum," i.e. without adult supervision. How many times in a school anime do you think, "Where the hell are the parents?!" In LS, we actually see them, and they become a part of the story.

The Hiiragi family seems to be the most "normal," (probably the only thing abnormal being it has a lot of kids, four, and all girls), and their father seems to be fairly attentive, making sure his daughters study, clean their rooms, etc.

I don't think Miyuki's mom is "evil" per se, rather, she is well intentioned but ends up causing her daughter undue stress and anxiety.

Kona's dad, who we have yet to see, is the inspiration for his daughter's otaku-ness. Nuff said.
Indeed...I hate how most series just think up some weird excuse (i.e. both working out of town all the time, visiting somewhere else, dead, etc.) to not have parents around. It's just poor excuse for upping the ante on sibling dynamics (and rapping to the fans/doujin artists about incest), and I'm sure we've had far more than enough of that.

This is the first anime I've ever seen that showed parents prominently for every main character in the plot (Akira's not in the plot). Prominently as in they aren't just given three lines to tell their children that they have a visit or a phone call in one certain episode and tossed off for the rest, but instead they actually had something to do with the conversation (and, holy crap, are shown on screen!).

Lucky Star is also probably one of the first to spend significant time to discuss a certain parent that is missing from the picture, in this case Kona's mother between Kona and her father. They'll probably never talk about Miyuki's father, who IIRC is just never shown, but we can probably assume from her massive family bankroll that he's just immensely busy. Besides, there's still her mother.
Old 2007-05-15, 01:23   Link #127
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
I'ts nice that L*S is involving the parents, I admit. It's convenient to just forget about mom and dad as is often the case in many online written RPGs I join (the people I play with have always been creative - parents are deceased, missing, have turned evil and have left, and in the case of my characters, never had parents but were created in a lab ). I think it's good for amateur story-tellers who don't care to become professional - it lets for a lot more freedom IMO if the writer is controlling underage characters (and you can cut the crap where the parents scold the kid lol). For anime, I do like seeing parents involved for series like L*S, which is about *average* kids going through life.
Old 2007-05-15, 02:29   Link #128
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Skane: Is *that* what they call those exercise briefs that cheerleaders wear under their skirts in Singapore? ((when I think of bloomers, I think of gothic fashion-style frilly shorts))
To outdo Skane-sama in "kiasu-ism" (yes, that's another Singaporean term )...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Wikipedia entry on Bloomers (clothing)
The modern Japanese version of bloomers consist of the entire legs exposed and are pronounced burūmā (or burūmāsu) in Japanese. Many Westerners confuse Japanese bloomers with panties since their designs are almost the same in Japan, but bloomers are worn over underwear, are a bit thicker, and come in bold colors.
In other words, I pronounce Vexx-jij "t3h pha1l" in weeaboo-ism.
Old 2007-05-15, 02:50   Link #129
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
I think the general rule of thumb is that if it looks like it could be underwear but the girl is obviously unashamed of showing it, it's bloomers. XD My immediate response to the word is to think of a kind of frilly, loose, white shorts-type thing that usually goes under a dress (like what Dejiko wears underneath her dress), but I've been aware of Japanese panty-esque bloomers since the Chobits days.

Come to think of it, I've never seen those kinds of bloomers in any color other than dark blue...

Edit: Oh.. looks like the frilly shorts bloomers were already mentioned when I wasn't paying attention. *goes into hiding*
Old 2007-05-15, 03:03   Link #130
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
To outdo Skane-sama in "kiasu-ism" (yes, that's another Singaporean term )...

In other words, I pronounce Vexx-jij "t3h pha1l" in weeaboo-ism.
He said it... now we get to tie him up and beat him mercilessly while we chant the "forbidden phrase" (that last word in the sentence).

I'm not objecting to the term "bloomers" ... its just kind of humorous considering their Victorian ancestors....
Old 2007-05-15, 03:05   Link #131
Ascaloth

Quote:
I'm not objecting to the term "bloomers" ... its just kind of humorous considering their Victorian ancestors....
I'm sure the wifey will think nothing of it. Why don't you ask her and see?
Old 2007-05-15, 03:17   Link #132
Narumi
*Fansubber

Quote:
I indeed have a Kinokuniya in my area, but until recently they weren't very good about keeping the latest stuff in stock. I usually just order straight from Japan (a pile at a time to keep shipping reasonable). I suppose I should give Kinokuniya more support
If you ask them, most of the time they can get it in for you without the shipping charges.
Old 2007-05-15, 07:22   Link #133
joshualimm

It's prolly just me, but those eyes!!! Totally hilarious!

Can't wait for more... ooh, and the preview of Konata patting Kagami reminds me of Guu.....!!!!
Old 2007-05-15, 07:37   Link #134
bayoab

Quote:
@bayoab: thanks... I'd dropped yesasia a couple of years ago after getting burned 4 or 5 times on limited edition items they said they had ---- then weeks would go by, they'd delay and then admit they didn't have it. By then everyone else was sold out. But I'll give them a looksee again.
This still happens. I usually use them for regular editions and "large run" limited editions and Kino for "small run".
Old 2007-05-15, 10:45   Link #135
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia entry on Bloomers (clothing)
The modern Japanese version of bloomers consist of the entire legs exposed and are pronounced burūmā (or burūmāsu) in Japanese. Many Westerners confuse Japanese bloomers with panties since their designs are almost the same in Japan, but bloomers are worn over underwear, are a bit thicker, and come in bold colors.
...That article has since disappeared. What did you do, Ascaloth?
Old 2007-05-15, 10:54   Link #136
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
...That article has since disappeared. What did you do, Ascaloth?
Bloomers (Clothing)

It's still there, far as I can tell....
Old 2007-05-15, 10:56   Link #137
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Bloomers (Clothing)

It's still there, far as I can tell....
Oh...they screwed up the disambiguation for "bloomer". Eh...time to be the good Wikipedian and fix it.
Old 2007-05-15, 12:41   Link #138
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Ahhhh...Finally the perfect ep! 10 for Fan service and a few slapstick fun with Kagami and Konata. Thee hee hee...

Though I only saw the raws you know the reason why I gave it a 10. *DIES OF NOSE BLEEDING* X_x;;
Old 2007-05-15, 13:21   Link #139
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Ahhhh...Finally the perfect ep! 10 for Fan service and a few slapstick fun with Kagami and Konata. Thee hee hee...

Though I only saw the raws you know the reason why I gave it a 10. *DIES OF NOSE BLEEDING* X_x;;
Damn you stole my sig idea. I was waiting for a bigger picture with the sub. You also stole my comments I was going to make. Ok I'm really going to have to take things to new heights in my take on the episode. Plus now I need a new idea for a sig.
Old 2007-05-15, 14:15   Link #140
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
a.f.k.'s sub of 06 is out.

Closed Thread