AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-06-06, 15:43   Link #61
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Haha, yeah. The thing is that I'm always trying to draw things I have no idea how to just by picturing them in my mind. That is the real problem here. On the other hand, the one I'm currently working on was based off of a picture I could actually look at, so I think it is coming out pretty nicely. Let's hope the finished version stays true to what I wanted to do.

And you're telling ME I'm not perfect? Seriously! I've been saying I suck for the past four years and now that I begin to think I'm actually seeing improvements you tell me that? * Konata-stare *

And let's hope I can actually complete a few pieces by the end of the summer. It's gonna start getting hectic very soon around here...

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 16:00   Link #62
kayos
RETIRED

Heh, it's been awhile my bad, I thought your ego was being blown out of proportion by members of another site.

Yeah there's really nothing wrong with using references from movies/internet/photographs and your surrounding area to help you draw your landscape. Our memories and imaginations are blurry at times so having a solid source will help. Don't fear using reference, embrace it with open arms. (cheezy, I know)
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 16:07   Link #63
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Haha, no no, don't worry. Truth be told, ASuki is the only place where I still post my stuff at. While I'm participating in the contest somewhere else, I'm not really releasing anything other than my submissions. I'm the type of person who sets his own goals despite anybody else's opinion.

No offense to the lovers of modern art, but getting cocky because you can spurt multiple colors on a canvas, sit on it and create artwork with your buttcheecks isn't my idea of artistic skill

And yeah. I remember talking about improving my settings and everything else, but I'm actually only beginning to do that now. I've been taking my sketchbook everywhere with me and instead of doing what I've always done, I've been trying to focus on an area and transfer it to paper. I don't always have the chance since I'm almost always carrying my dog around since he suffers from separation anxiety and can't be left alone. I'll get there, trust me

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2008-06-06, 16:36   Link #64
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Really nice drawings !

Last edited by incube; 2008-06-07 at 23:49.
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 01:49   Link #65
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Ahh, and here I thought I could go on for another few months without making an update, just to complete that 2-year mark. But nope, I guess I succumbed to the temptation of having someone other than my dog take a look at my junk. Uhh, not that junk, but the junk that I'm about to post.

And as usual, I tend to give a little update on how things go as pertained to my artistic endeavors. Well, they've been going quite steadily actually. I don't draw too much, but I also don't seem to draw too little. Sometimes I think I do, but a few months later when I shuffle through the pile of unfinished projects, doodles and sketches that I've done, it's quite clear that whenever my hands aren't on a keyboard, they're certainly holding a pencil. Notes from class? Yep, you can bet there's something drawn there. Tests? Yes. I've even gone as far as draw on my tests DURING the time I'm taking them, and sometimes I can hear the professor chuckle in the back as I turn my paper in.

From the sporadic updates that I've left in my personal page, I guess mostly everyone is aware that the reason for my absence is that I began playing World of Warcraft not long after the date of my last post. And oh, how that hurt my leisure time when it applies to drawing. I've only recently begun pacing myself, trying to fit in everything in this busy hobby schedule of mine while I'm still comfortably void of grown-up responsibilities like job, mortgage and cabaret visits. The occasional bursts of creativity that I had and which lasted very shortly produced nothing but temporary interest in a certain drawing or whatever it is that I wanted to do. Now they're becoming slightly more frequent, and the idea is to work on this sudden increase in power level and exploit it as much as I can.

As for the future... This week I will finally realize a dream that I've had for the longest time, and that is finally buying myself a drawing table, with all the bells and whistles that I can afford. No more getting terrible shoulder and neck pains while drawing on paper, and hopefully I can find a better way to set up my stuff to make use of that on digital media as well. Once that is done and I can settle in and get used to it, I plan on finally starting my long-coming Manga/Light Novel/whatever-it-is-that-I-decide-to-do project. I think six years of preparation, brainstorming and endless sleepless nights of coming up with ideas is more than enough. Now that I don't draw like a 7 year old anymore, I feel that I can do both and improve on both my writing and drawing skills as I go.

Be forewarned, once again, that it's my style to draw my characters naked before putting clothes on them, for a variety of reasons, which range from "I don't know how to draw clothes without something to base me on" and "I'd like to practice a bit on anatomy as I go" and anything in between. So if you think nudity is offensive, don't open any of these. However, there's a difference between nudity and explicit content, and I definitely don't cross over to the dark side. And I wouldn't post that in here even if that were the case. Also, most of these were made between the end of 2008 and present, but I don't have set date for most of them, so you will probably see a difference in skill as you open up the next ones in the list or vice-versa. Blah blah blah.

Hikari 09
, and the subsequent color version. This is the last one that I did, and I have to say I love it.

Luna 15 and subsequent color version. Same fashion as the previous one, and also very recent.

Luna 12. Another one that I like. In the original, her arms were too long. I tried to fix them, but still think they are odd-looking. Hmm.

Zero 10. Can improve a few things, but I generally did like this one.

Saphir 01. Just a quick sketch/color combo to make sure she looked how she was supposed to.

Luna 12 Part 1 - Most of these sketches and quick drawings come from the same file, but they aren't of the same character. I like this one!

Luna 12 Part 2 - This is one of the few escapades to 4chan's /ic/ board that I've done through the years. After taking some advice, the drawing in red seems to be the one more anatomically correct and with the better composition.

Luna 12 Part 3 - Another angle of the same concept. Her breasts look too high, so in this one I tried to correct it.

Hikari 04 - This one took me very long to finally get right - except I never did. There're problems everywhere, ranging from anatomy to proportions and composition, so much that, urgh.

Random 05 - This was requested by a buddy of mine, but we've lost contact for a while now for reasons I don't know. The design is very much like the one I had in mind for mechas in my story, so maybe I will improve upon it soon.

Hikari 06 P2 - I like this one for a variety of reasons. It's just one of those that you do because it's interesting and the pose is powerful. It's an improvement over another that I did, but in which her legs were distorted and out of touch with the rest of the pose. I like the setup on the right more.

Hatoko X1 - Lolis with scythes is a popular theme nowadays I hear.

Hatoko X2 - So are lolis in high places.

Zero X1
- So are heroes with spiky hair, casual clothing and superpowers.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to compile everything in two posts, since an entire hour doing this didn't seem to be enough. Let's see what we can get for the moment, shall we?

As always, thanks for the comments.

Edit: Man, things certainly do change, don't they? I noticed that I happened to make a nice Image with the word "Artwork" in it, which is something I don't remember being able to call myself - "artist". Since then, I think I like the "hobbyist" denomination a little better. An artist is someone who studies the process of art in order to create it himself. What makes art, well, artistic, isn't giving a monkey a paintbrush and a canvas to splatter paint on, but the effort that the artist makes to picture his view of the world in the medium that he chooses. Achieving that level of skill and workmanship takes years of practice, skill and most notably effort. I am simply someone who sits down and scribbles down whatever comes to mind, and only later analyzes it to learn from the mistakes he's made. Artists, however, analyze their pieces prior to making the first strokes - they learn not only from their own mistakes, but from the mistakes of other masters. An artist knows how a piece of cloth reacts to a strong wind as well as he knows the way it reacts to a slight breeze. That is really the difference.

But I digress.

Last edited by Zero Shinohara; 2010-04-21 at 02:12.
Old 2010-04-22, 11:27   Link #66
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
Ahh, and here I thought I could go on for another few months without making an update, just to complete that 2-year mark.
This made me remember that post I made in your profile back in 2008.

A great update as always, btw. My favorites are Luna 12 and Luna 12 part 1.

Some of the Luna ones have a very nice 'Horo' vibe to them.
Old 2010-04-25, 20:10   Link #67
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Thanks for he comments, Dan. You're like... one of the few people who've stuck around this long!

I like those you mentioned too. They were done with lots of love

And yeah, probably because Holo is one of my favorite female characters of all time. She's very lovely. Luna on the other hand isn't nearly as witty and malicious as Holo, and is probably the opposite when it comes to that. At the same time, I think both have a certain mysterious air to them, and it's hard to know what they may be thinking. I find Luna easier to understand though

This one is slightly older, about one and a half years old, perhaps a bit more. I like it a lot though, despite certain problems with anatomy etc.

This is just <3. The one of her on the right looks very messy, but she looks cute to the left.

Old 2010-04-28, 17:20   Link #68
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
Thanks for he comments, Dan. You're like... one of the few people who've stuck around this long!
If a few more of the older regulars leave, I could potentially end up being the oldest FC regular around here.