AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Let's add a poll to this discussion-what do you think is more likely to happen first?
Ash wins a Pokémon League and/or becomes a Pokémon Master 1 12.50%
Our generation will pass away entirely 7 87.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-08-14, 16:40   Link #21
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoguti View Post
No I'm not.
Then quit acting so self righteous.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 16:42   Link #22
kanoguti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
Then quit acting so self righteous.
How about you actually attack my arguments or posts instead of attacking (lies btw) me personally.
Old 2017-08-14, 16:43   Link #23
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

Quote:
I'm speaking for the children of the word. As the youngest person in this thread (presumably), my opinion is the most objective.
Why would your opinion be more objective just because you are younger? It's fine to see things from a different lense, but if people here say that even as a kid there were things that bothered them about the Pokémon anime series, doesn't this hold some kind of weight?

I also remember that many people I know grew out of Pokémon specifically because of some of the points mentioned in this thread. I don't think anyone here is claiming that they are still (supposed to be) the primary target audience of the show, but just because the children who watch Pokémon enjoy it and are still not very picky about what they consume, it doesn't mean that the Pokémon anime should be immune from criticism of more experienced viewers. I don't mean to say that every word of criticism against the story and so on is entirely fair, but it's not something that should be disregarded entirely, either. That Pokémon is not trying to be what many people in this thread would like it to be is no excuse, either, because that's part of the problem for those disillusioned by the shows. No one is demanding that it should suddenly turn into a show full of mature themes.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 16:45   Link #24
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
How about you actually attack my arguments or posts instead of attacking (lies btw) me personally.
Call it whatever.

But basing your own view a crossed a whole fandom as if it's the right one seems like a self-centered one.

Why don't you grow up.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Old 2017-08-14, 16:47   Link #25
kanoguti

Quote:
Call it whatever.

But basing your own view a crossed a whole fandom as if it's the right one seems like a self-centered one.

Why don't you grow up.
Here you go again. Only attacking me instead of attacking my actual arguments or posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki. View Post
Why would your opinion be more objective just because you are younger? It's fine to see things from a different lense, but if people here say that even as a kid there were things that bothered them about the Pokémon anime series, doesn't this hold some kind of weight?
It was more of a joke.
Old 2017-08-14, 16:54   Link #26
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Here you go again. Only attacking me instead of attacking my actual arguments or posts.

It was more of a joke.
Lol what ever floats your boat.

Old 2017-08-14, 16:58   Link #27
kanoguti

Quote:
Lol what ever floats your boat.
So in the end, all you did was

1. Insult me personally
2. ....?

Good job??

--

This thread had OP express his opinion and vented about the Pokemon anime, and why he personally felt it had grown worse. People agreed, and only I disagreed.

I provided counter-arguments and/or reasoning behind some of the decisions made in the Anime. I also make the claim that there is no need to overhaul the Pokemon anime, since plenty of children and adults alike enjoy the Pokemon anime, even in the current form of Sun and Moon. I see no reason for the Pokemon Company to take a risk at potentially making a bad show or one that would lower profits.

Also, if you guys would like to see Ash Ketchum win the Pokemon league and enter a romantic relationship, you can always log into fanfiction.net. There are plenty of stories that would suit your interests better than the Pokemon anime.
Old 2017-08-14, 17:25   Link #28
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Lol i didn't insult you, your just taking it personally. Do you have thin skin or something?
Why don't you actual give creditable points that I can discuss.

Old 2017-08-14, 19:40   Link #29
IceHism

I guess that's true. Yu gi oh and Digimon for example have provided a better watching experience than the pokemon shows for me. The pokemon movies generally match their movies in quality though for being 1-2 hours long so there is that.

But i think gamefreak cares more about video game sales? I've played every pokemon game available and am still interested in competitive pokemon battling but i haven't done the same for other anime kid franchises. So it's not a problem that they will fix as long as pokemon continues to sell more and more.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 04:49   Link #30
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Okay, so you're using one instance and your own personal history at school to make a sweeping suggestion to overhaul the entire pokemon anime....lol.
Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Precure, Digimon, Jewelpet. These are just some examples out of many financially successful kids' TV series that replaced their main characters and started a completely new story every year. The fact that the main character was different every year did not keep their toys and merchandise from selling well. People who grew up with these series often look back on them very fondly because they remember actual plots and character arcs that reached fairly satisfying conclusions, they remember rushing to the TV every week to see the latest episode and find out what happens next. Pokemon took a different approach, probably a "safer" one, but it's not necessarily the only good approach that it could have taken.

Even Aikatsu ditched its cast and made an alt-universe reboot after 4 years, and that show aired right next to Pokemon.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 10:58   Link #31
kanoguti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Precure, Digimon, Jewelpet. These are just some examples out of many financially successful kids' TV series that replaced their main characters and started a completely new story every year. The fact that the main character was different every year did not keep their toys and merchandise from selling well. People who grew up with these series often look back on them very fondly because they remember actual plots and character arcs that reached fairly satisfying conclusions, they remember rushing to the TV every week to see the latest episode and find out what happens next. Pokemon took a different approach, probably a "safer" one, but it's not necessarily the only good approach that it could have taken.

Even Aikatsu ditched its cast and made an alt-universe reboot after 4 years, and that show aired right next to Pokemon.
From a financial standpoint it makes no sense for the Pokemon company to replace Ash. It is an unnecessary risk. From an "artistic" standpoint, I can understand, but Japanese kids fucking hate change. Back in Best Wishes, when Team Rocket changed their costume and became serious, the ratings tanked (even before the tsunami incident).

Again, unnecessary risk for an Anime that is, at heart, an advertisement. If you guys want a more serious Pokemon related story, that changes protags. Check out the manga, or maybe log into fanfiction.net and enjoy some high quality writing. I'm sure both of those would be up your guys' alley.
Old 2017-08-15, 11:33   Link #32
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Risk's are apart of life.
Either risk the show becoming stale or take the Risk and create a new protagonist.
So far the Pokémon Co. has chosen the former and it's been successful (but for how much longer), but since this new series started they changed Art styles. So it's a change in a direction than what's been done so far, only choice is to see what happens afterwards.

Old 2017-08-15, 12:36   Link #33
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
It is an unnecessary risk. From an "artistic" standpoint, I can understand, but Japanese kids fucking hate change.
That all-or-nothing statement doesn't quite hold after I named all those kids' shows that DID change their main characters and casts completely and yet managed to keep audiences watching. You could say it made no sense to replace the casts of Digimon, Jewelpet and Precure but they did so anyway and kids kept on watching despite your claim of them "hating change".

For the record, why do the Pokemon games themselves keep changing their player characters? If kids are so dead-set dumb and unable to accept change, why not make all the player characters Red? Why is Pikachu unable to be found and unable to be caught until after beating the Elite Four in at least one generation of games if it iconicity is that important? You honestly don't give kids enough credit.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 14:45   Link #34
kanoguti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
That all-or-nothing statement doesn't quite hold after I named all those kids' shows that DID change their main characters and casts completely and yet managed to keep audiences watching. You could say it made no sense to replace the casts of Digimon, Jewelpet and Precure but they did so anyway and kids kept on watching despite your claim of them "hating change".

For the record, why do the Pokemon games themselves keep changing their player characters? If kids are so dead-set dumb and unable to accept change, why not make all the player characters Red? Why is Pikachu unable to be found and unable to be caught until after beating the Elite Four in at least one generation of games if it iconicity is that important? You honestly don't give kids enough credit.
It's not the fact that they're kid shows. You completely ignored my point about Movie 20. The games are way different from the anime too, and obviously, usually the whole cast of the anime changes, it's only Ash and Pikachu that are stagnant.
I'm not calling kids dumb. I'm just saying that they're not going to like a (frankly) random change of Ash and Pikachu, who just received a movie based on their relationship.

And again. All of this is still an unnecessary risk. YES, other franchises have done it but that doesn't change anything.
Old 2017-08-19, 12:18   Link #35
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

I'd love option A to happen before our time is up, this series Ash not even trying to accomplish his own goal doesn't bold well for us. I have tons of rants on Pokemon these days, Sun and Moon is my least favorite Pokemon series to this day, Best Wishes tops it even and I thought that would never be possible.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-20, 19:17   Link #36
judasmartel
*Author

I wonder what could have happened if Pokemon went through the Digimon route and changed protagonists and stories every generation.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-20, 19:30   Link #37
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
I wonder what could have happened if Pokemon went through the Digimon route and changed protagonists and stories every generation.
I personally think it would be very cool to have stand-alone seasons that don't necissarily focus on winning the league or catching them all, but on adventuring (which is already part of the anime, but it'd be cool to have more focus) and different main story for each arc. Something like a goal. Doesn't have to be something overly dramatic like saving the world, but something that gives the show a central theme.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-21, 16:40   Link #38
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
my greatest problem with Pokemon anime is Ash is forever 10
This.

It's not a growing up story if HE NEVER GROWS UP!
Old 2017-08-28, 15:37   Link #39
_Dog

Hello guys, I just want to thank everyone for the responses given in this thread. My plan is to respond to a select amount of posts in the near future. Until then, hang on.
_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-01, 20:10   Link #40
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing

What the anime ended up as.

Then again it is a 20 yeare old anime so it's not going to change. I remember when it aired I was like 14 and had a crush on Misty. Damn things have changed.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote