AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-01-15, 19:09   Link #61
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Aren't OLED TV's supposed to be the next gen to replace plasma and LCD?
Supposedly, but there's barely anything out using that technology. I'd say quite a few more years before it gets its problems worked out and is cheap enough for wide adoptation.

It's actually very hard to find sub 40" 1080p T.V. now days. The only brand I can think of is Sharp which actually markets a 32" and 37" as computer monitors.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 21:13   Link #62
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

There has been very few if any other smaller 1080p tvs. There's no point to 1080p vs 720p at 32". 720p will do the trick at those sizes. 1080p starts to kick in around 40". to take full advantage of HD you need an appropriate viewing size. That's why 32-37" and under is generally 1360x768. Even at 40" I have difficulty telling apart 720p vs 1080p h264 files. Pixel density is wasted by 1080p 32" tv's especially as the typical viewing distance is around 8ft. Cool it's 1080p and around $400 more than your average 32" but honestly if the average consumer can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 32" screen at 8ft in a double blind test then it's significant., sadly it isn't. That's why monitors are much higher res, you're like 1ft away so images need to sharper and clearer

And honestly there is no market for it. 32" tends to be the budget end $1000AUD (750USD) 40" tends to be around $1500AUD (1200USD), 37 falling in between those two at around 1200AUD. People would rather spend the extra $150USD to get a 40" over a 37". There's like 60 models at 40" there's maybe a handful at 37" It's a size pretty much squeezed out as it's either not big enough or too expensive to be considered budget or too big.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 22:05   Link #63
problemedchild
ô_ô

Aye, that's why Westinghouse stopped making its famous 37" just recently. The market is just too small. It's a damn shame too, I love my Sharp 32GP1U, although I would love to have some more choices at that size.
Old 2008-02-17, 22:29   Link #64
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Well Toshiba looks like it's going to eat a big loss
http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...27196120080216

Quote:
TOKYO (Reuters) - Toshiba Corp is planning to stop production of equipment compatible with the HD DVD format for high-definition video, allowing the competing Blu-Ray camp a free run, public broadcaster NHK reported on Saturday.

Toshiba is expected to suffer losses amounting to tens of billions of yen (hundreds of millions of dollars) to scrap production of HD DVD players and recorders and other steps to exit the business, Japan's NHK said on its website.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 22:50   Link #65
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Hopefully with Toshies lot producing BR kit the prices will finally come down to a reasonable level. Its silly that the PS3 is cheaper then the players (well last time I looked they were)
Old 2008-02-18, 12:37   Link #66
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about the impending death of HD-DVD here...

Anyway, I don't think you will see cheap BR players from Toshiba anytime soon. First, they were heavily subsidizing HD-DVD players (ie: selling them below cost) in order to get people to convert to HD-DVD. If HD-DVD had succeeded, Toshiba would have made back the money it's losing now because it's one of the HD-DVD patent holders (ie: royalties). Second, considering they put so much money in HD-DVD and still have loads of useless stock to clear, it'll take them some time to recover financially, probably.

But I'm glad the war has been won (regardless of whom) as having one format is just a lot better for consumer confidence in HD video formats. The old "I'm going to hold off buying a HD player because of the format confusion" argument no longer applies.

Personally I'm happy BR won, as I have a PS3, so I can play the "winning format". Now I only have to wait (and not worry) for movies like The Hunt for Red October or all of Star Trek to be released on BD
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 12:44   Link #67
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I saw a BD version of the Sopranos yesterday and wondered if the originals were really shot in 1080p. Seems especially unlikely for the early seasons. If not, then what's that point? I can upscale things just fine with my current TV/DVD player; why pay extra for more pixels that didn't exist in the original to begin with?

Movies are a different story, obviously, but are they really creating new 1080p versions of movies from the original negatives, or just rescaling existing digital content? Again, if it's just the latter, I'll let my hardware handle that for free.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 13:04   Link #68
Sides

Toshiba statement on bbc web
The only option i see is, if toshica can manage to release stb HD DVD recoder as soon as possible, with the HD Rec format announced back in october, who knows. The backing of Picture Studios is overrated, i reckon more people would be interested in recording TV shows than watching old movies on a disc.
I mean if they can provide affordable HD-dvdr media and recorder units, it doesn't matter if any hollywood studio are backing them or not.

But nevertheless credits for toshiba for creating an alternative format against panasonic and sony.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 13:09   Link #69
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
In the US at least the DVD recorders never took off. I don't see HD-DVD recorders doing any better. DVRs are far more popular here since the cable and satellite companies are handing them out.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 13:16   Link #70
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Funny how bad news can actually be good news to stock brokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I saw a BD version of the Sopranos yesterday and wondered if the originals were really shot in 1080p. Seems especially unlikely for the early seasons. If not, then what's that point? I can upscale things just fine with my current TV/DVD player; why pay extra for more pixels that didn't exist in the original to begin with?
The only Sopranos on Blu-Ray disc I can find on Amazon is season 6 (aired 2006-2007):
http://www.amazon.com/Sopranos-Seaso.../dp/B000L43AMU
Old 2008-02-18, 17:06   Link #71
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
The only option i see is, if toshica can manage to release stb HD DVD recoder as soon as possible, with the HD Rec format announced back in october, who knows. The backing of Picture Studios is overrated, i reckon more people would be interested in recording TV shows than watching old movies on a disc. I mean if they can provide affordable HD-dvdr media and recorder units, it doesn't matter if any hollywood studio are backing them or not.

But nevertheless credits for toshiba for creating an alternative format against panasonic and sony.
I haven't even seen HD DVD burnable media in stores, or burners for that matter. It makes me wonder why.

On the other hand, blu-ray recorders have pretty much taken over Japan with its 97% market share.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 00:42   Link #72
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

The real losers of this war are not Toshiba, Universal, paramount and chinese OEMs.

They are consumers.

I have a blu-ray in my laptop, but I won't buy any blu-rays until Slysoft dudes figure out defeating BD+ and other lame protections.
Old 2008-02-19, 02:54   Link #73
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Has there been any other format wars where the consumer actually benefited apart from CDR+/-?

VHS v Betamax the Betamax lot lost out

I can't really think of the rest tbh. I know the formats but not really who went against who

My money is still on full digital kicking physical media like BR in the teeth, especially if someone gets the UMPC sorted. When I say sorted I mean lots of storage, very good power source, always online, affordable and dinky.
Old 2008-02-19, 05:17   Link #74
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

It's official. HD-DVD quits, Blu-Ray wins.
http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...35829920080219
Old 2008-02-19, 05:19   Link #75
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

well, maybe not completely dead, still have to see if microsoft continues to use it with their XBOX.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 05:25   Link #76
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
well, maybe not completely dead, still have to see if microsoft continues to use it with their XBOX.
Microsoft pretty much said they were jumping ship. The 360's games are made with DVD-9's, not HD-DVD.
Old 2008-02-19, 05:37   Link #77
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

microsoft says a lot of garbage, on a daily basis.

assuming the company plans to continue their video game business over the next few years, they will have to do something. if the xbox720 makes the move to blue ray, that will be a chuckle for many people. if they continue with the outdated DVD format, I'm sure that will turn off alot of tech junkies who have an xbox, even though there is plenty of space available on dual layer discs.

none of this really matters to me, though. I only watch anime, nothing else. if they release shows on HD DVD format, I'd still buy a player just to watch it.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 07:20   Link #78
Sides

Hmm, it seems that some UK stores are lowering the prices for HD-DVD player. So if someome wants a nice dvd upscaler it is time to grab a HD-DVD player.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 07:30   Link #79
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Sorry to crash the thread, but is HD really worth it? You'd need a huge-ass 1080p-capable TV set and to sit at a distance of 5 feet to notice any real improvements over DVD-9 quality. I can understand its use in PCs (plus most monitors today are 1080p-capable), but I can't for the life of me understand its usefulness as a standalone player. Too freaking expensive, and DRM'ed to hell to boot.

I think I'll pass on it and stay with my nice-looking 21'' TV set and DVD players, thankyouverymuch.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 08:11   Link #80
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
microsoft says a lot of garbage, on a daily basis.

assuming the company plans to continue their video game business over the next few years, they will have to do something. if the xbox720 makes the move to blue ray, that will be a chuckle for many people. if they continue with the outdated DVD format, I'm sure that will turn off alot of tech junkies who have an xbox, even though there is plenty of space available on dual layer discs.

none of this really matters to me, though. I only watch anime, nothing else. if they release shows on HD DVD format, I'd still buy a player just to watch it.
I really don't see why Microsoft would be against using Blue Ray on its current or next gen console, they have repeatedly stated that if the demand for a BR player is high enough, they will make a BR add-on for the 360. If BR becomes the de-facto standard, people will roll along with it. You don't see Sony not making VCRs just because they packed Betamax to the hilt......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Sorry to crash the thread, but is HD really worth it? You'd need a huge-ass 1080p-capable TV set and to sit at a distance of 5 feet to notice any real improvements over DVD-9 quality. I can understand its use in PCs (plus most monitors today are 1080p-capable), but I can't for the life of me understand its usefulness as a standalone player. Too freaking expensive, and DRM'ed to hell to boot.

I think I'll pass on it and stay with my nice-looking 21'' TV set and DVD players, thankyouverymuch.
You haven't seen HD until you've watched Planet Earth in HD. It's nothing short of orgasmic. In another note, I find it quite noticable to go from watching an upscaled DVD to watching a 1080p HD-DVD, even though some people have reported that they cannot.

Tags
blu-ray, hardware