AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-04, 20:48   Link #261
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Aoba is treading a very thin line with being flat-out unlikeable at this point, though I trust she will mellow as the series progresses. She's the one part of the show I haven't warmed up to yet.
this was one of the few times that Kou show that he find a big connection with Aoba. Any other guy would have moved her hand off him, but once he heard the Wakaba name he just couldn't help but feel at ease with it.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 21:12   Link #262
wana10

do to real life i missed the start of the spring season but i've gotten caught up now and cross game is definitely my favorite show right now. my first and currently only adachi work was katsu! which i found cheap in a used book shop a while back. the style drew me in and when seeing that another adachi work was getting an anime adaptation it immediately got added to my pull list. making plans to stop by a book store tomorrow actually to see what other ones i can find.

on topic, i loved the scene in ep 5 when kou gave aoba her little needed wake up call. i was also glad to see the pro-wrestling scene stuck in. it worked great as a flashback/dream and seeing as it was a scene i loved from the first book it was nice to see it wasn't completely cut. now that i've watched ep 5 though...i have to wait a week for the next installment, blast!
wana10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 23:01   Link #263
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I personally think the collar grab is the perfect reaction on Koh's part. It treads the fine line in showing that Koh still very much thinks of Wakaba, but still sends a message to Aoba that what she said was wrong without going overboard AND while showing restraint at the same time.

At the very least, its a much better reaction than a slap, something I must admit was my first instinct to do to Aoba when I first read this part in the manga.

As for Aoba, you do get to symphatize more with her the more you know about her relationship with Wakaba. Being a 'classic tsundere', it's practically a given in that you're supposed to have a negative opinion of her at first, but gradually start liking her character once she starts warming up slowly. XD
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 23:45   Link #264
apropervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
As for Aoba, you do get to symphatize more with her the more you know about her relationship with Wakaba. Being a 'classic tsundere', it's practically a given in that you're supposed to have a negative opinion of her at first, but gradually start liking her character once she starts warming up slowly. XD
Aoba in the manga is F*k'n win right now.
apropervillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 00:44   Link #265
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Can't believe I cried so many times watching a single episode of a baseball anime.

Aoba, you need to believe in Kou more...Rely on him...

It's touching watching the 3s, all had a hole in their hearts that Wakaba left behind...

The Momiji's dream sequence is just excellent, reminds Aoba how reliable Kou can be.
Nah, how he is exactly the part of their family since a long time ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanor
You can find part of Short Program 3 (which is unlicensed) on Mangadownload website or irc channel ^^ but SP1&2 are licensed so we can't do them :/ even tho we're dying to do them ^^
Thanks. I'll give it a try, if in this week I still can't find them anywhere in my local bookstore.

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 06:34   Link #266
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Still loving this. Episode 5, collar grab and all was just note perfect. I'm in the process of buying the manga, but that will probably take some time... I want to see what happens next NAO!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 09:09   Link #267
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I love the Beach Boy style music for the training montage at the end. It fits so perfectly.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 04:00   Link #268
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Wow. One of the best 'caring for the sick friend/relative' episode I've ever seen.

And they finally get through a lot of the insecurities and memories of Waka-chan without going either overboard with the sentimental stuff and being too vague about it either.

It's like the plot is finally going somewhere. Thanks to flashbacks.

Ironic, but it works.

Also, finally Kou seems like a reliable guy instead of just a mindless, wandering baseball genius. And Aoba finally seems to show more of her tsundere-self.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 00:10   Link #269
typhonsentra

Great episode but I have to say if I were Kou Aoba's tsundere bitchiness would be wearing thin on me by this point. He's given her no reason to express so much animosity towards him.

One thing I really was pleasantly surprised by was how when she wrapped her arms around him while sleeping they didn't go for the standard cliche "Ahh, what happaned!?" wake-up scene where she "Comically" attacks him for something she did.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 01:20   Link #270
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

Hah, yeah, that'd totally have happened if it was some third rate ecchi comedy, but not in Cross Game, and that's why we love it.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 05:34   Link #271
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

The thing is: Koh doesn't really let Aoba's ways get to him all that much because she's Wakaba's sister - and, we get the picture that he might have other feelings for her, as well.

I mean, it's gotta be a difficult position. And he does let out some jabs at her, from time to time.

Old 2009-05-08, 01:29   Link #272
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Aoba is treading a very thin line with being flat-out unlikeable at this point, though I trust she will mellow as the series progresses. She's the one part of the show I haven't warmed up to yet.
When I got to know Aoba little by little, I finally realized that I'm so love this character, Aoba is such a lovable, wonderful person. You'll see it soon.
Spoiler for spoil:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
The thing is: Koh doesn't really let Aoba's ways get to him all that much because she's Wakaba's sister - and, we get the picture that he might have other feelings for her, as well.

I mean, it's gotta be a difficult position. And he does let out some jabs at her, from time to time.
I can't agree more
poko-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-08, 02:17   Link #273
Westlo
Lets be reality

I really wouldn't classify Aoba as a typical tsundere... that's selling her short.. imo anyway.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-08, 03:17   Link #274
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I really wouldn't classify Aoba as a typical tsundere... that's selling her short.. imo anyway.
Yeah, but she's showing the classical signs of a very teasable hard-headed girl.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-08, 04:24   Link #275
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, that she is. Perhaps more than any other Adachi protagonist, so far.

Old 2009-05-08, 04:31   Link #276
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Oh, that she is. Perhaps more than any other Adachi protagonist, so far.
Aoba is the first true tsundere in any of Adashi works. All the other girls before were more on the tomboy side of things than in the tsundere.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-08, 04:49   Link #277
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, you're probably right. My favorite female protagonist is probably Mitsuki from Katsu. I dunno, something about a tough boxer chick does it for me, I guess. As for males, Koh is right up there with Yamato from Rough (loved that one to bits). The funny thing is: I hadn't really seen any of Adachi's work previous to the first episode of Cross Game - Now I'm such a fanboy, it's kinda crazy.
In the past few weeks, I've read/watched Touch (the anime is still pending, but I watched the live-action movie and enjoyed it), Rough (same with the live - nice that they have the same leading lady in both films), Katsu, Miyuki, the sum total of Cross Game's chapters so far and am acquiring H2 and Slow Step. Like I said, crazy...

Can't wait for more episodes of this one, tho.

Old 2009-05-08, 20:17   Link #278
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Decided to pick up this anime since it got so many good reviews from people that I trust... Usually I wouldn't like a sports anime, but this one managed to break the barrier.

This season so far happens to be quite good, so its hard to define it as the best of the season, but it has been very enjoyable.

My only worry is that the first episode has outclassed the others for me so far, and I hope that the anime in the future will be able to hit many more high notes like they did in the first. While the episodes afterwards have been good too, I expect to see much more in the future.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 14:10   Link #279
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Adachi's stories can mesh with the current animation quality really well. I really loved the first few episodes. Having a bit of everything, sports, relationships, and moving at a reasonable speed, I guess this will become a good replacement for the currently-missing good-quality sports-based anime series.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 23:44   Link #280
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
My only worry is that the first episode has outclassed the others for me so far, and I hope that the anime in the future will be able to hit many more high notes like they did in the first. While the episodes afterwards have been good too, I expect to see much more in the future.
Well, it's not really that kind of a story. That was one huge rock splashing into the water in the first episode; much of the rest of the story is seeing how the ripples from the first episode run along and through the character's lives. Even those characters that haven't yet met Kou and the Tsukishimas.

The first episode was exceptional because it was. . . the exception. It would be cheating (and ultimately a failure) for that kind of thing to happen all the time. Don't get me wrong, there's drama ahead. But let the story and the characters work their magic, it will be worth it.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports