AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2019-02-08, 16:42   Link #61
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Going back to felix's question, by having an actual category for Best Male VA, means people would actually have to think about it. It might give pause to people who'd normally only think about and thus vote for their favorite female VA's for that season, to stop and think about some of the male VA's they've also had to listen to. Sure they could decide to just not vote in that category anyway. But, by having a visible category for male VA's, more people might actually vote for some, and we wouldn't end up with a male VA winner by default (aka the best of the losers), or not have one show up at all after the nomination phase.
You mean in the sense that since females are so dominant in VA roles its hard to get in the mood to think about the good points of male VA? That's fair, I can agree with that, ok I'm not against it anymore I guess.

But just so you know even the category as-is had some bumps along the road (I check on the vote progress along the way; some of it can be blamed on it being new of course), if it just doesn't get love from the voters come the contest (meaning skipped by good deal in both nominations and voting), we'll probably take it back out, it's actually a lot of work for just the one VA one. Since Haak I think supports it, and we already have VA as official one, we'll add this as a regular category (instead of X) since it's a modification on something that works.
Old 2019-02-08, 19:37   Link #62
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No, I think Cloudedmind means (and if I'm wrong will happily stand corrected) that most fans around her are so tunnel-visioned that it would never even occur to them to consider that the best performance in a series or a season could be a male. It's not a question of dominance - it's a question of myopia.

I mean, AFAIC there was no seiyuu performance this year in the same class as Hiroaki Hirata in Koe wa Ameagari. It was the biggest slam dunk in any category. But it never occurred to me for even a moment that it would get recognized here - it just isn't realistic.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 22:31   Link #63
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
No, I think Cloudedmind means (and if I'm wrong will happily stand corrected) that most fans around her are so tunnel-visioned that it would never even occur to them to consider that the best performance in a series or a season could be a male. It's not a question of dominance - it's a question of myopia.

I mean, AFAIC there was no seiyuu performance this year in the same class as Hiroaki Hirata in Koe wa Ameagari. It was the biggest slam dunk in any category. But it never occurred to me for even a moment that it would get recognized here - it just isn't realistic.
Yep, that's exactly what I was getting at. I mean we've already had other members more or less mention similar things. So, I don't think it's just me over thinking. But, you know I'll go with whatever gets me what I want.

I'm still kicking myself that I managed to vote for Kenny Ackerman, and Tsurumi as best antagonist, but didn't manager to remember to vote for either of their va's, Kazuhiro Yamaji, and Houchuu Ootsuka. So, I get it. There are a lot of voice actors, and often times these types of things tend to come down to what someone is interested in and familiar with. If someone happens to be more of a fan of female voice actors, it might be easier for them to remember a great performance by a female voice actor, even more so if it's by one they're especially interested in. We all have certain biases for one reason or another. I know I'm probably never going to vote for an English speaking voice actor simple because I just don't watch dubs anymore, so I have no idea who's doing what in dubs. So, I'm not trying to condemn people for their choices and voting habits, just want to point out what I see as the reality of things.
Old 2019-02-09, 00:16   Link #64
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

C'mon, condemn them a little.
Old 2019-02-09, 04:12   Link #65
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I recognize myopia pretty well.

I just don't care.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 04:48   Link #66
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

I just don't care.
I have to say, your current avatar works so perfectly well for that reaction
Old 2019-02-09, 08:53   Link #67
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

I just don't care.
And that's why we need the new category. Everybody wins.
Old 2019-02-09, 10:57   Link #68
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Version 4 (green renamed, blue new, purple different; some moved)

-{A1}- [Best Storyline]
-{A2}- [Best Visuals]
-{A3}- [Best Action]
-{A4}- [Best Use of Sound]
-{A5}- [Best World Setting]

-{B1}- [Best Fantasy & Supernatural]
-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction]
-{B3}- [Best Sports Series]

-{C1}- [Best Romance]
-{C2}- [Best Comedy]
-{C3}- [Best Drama]
-{C4}- [Best Slice of Life]
-{C5}- [Best Relaxing & Carefree]

-{D1}- [Best TV Series]
-{D2}- [Best OVA]
-{D3}- [Best Movie]

-{E1}- [Best Female Lead]
-{E2}- [Best Male Lead]
-{E3}- [Best Antagonist]
-{E4}- [Best Side-Character]
-{E5}- [Best Female VA]
-{E6}- [Best Male VA]

-{X1}- [Best Ongoing Series]
-{X2}- [Best Credits Theme]
-{X3}- [Best Adventure Series]
-{X4}- [Best Character Design]
-{X5}- [Best Surprise]
-{X6}- [Guilty Pleasure]

Genre limit of 2 rules applies to C: can only nominate any series in no more then 2 categories.
Top 5 (after tie breaking any ties) nominees go though for all categories except for E.
In E top 6 ranks go though (max 9 in case of too many ties)
Old 2019-02-09, 13:43   Link #69
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Shh, I was trying to be nice and "bipartisan".

Thank you felix for the update.
Old 2019-02-09, 15:57   Link #70
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Like I said in private, its still too random once you look at all the entries that go in overall, it becomes a choice of what style you favor more before everything else. I'd say it's better to have clean distinct lists. It's better as a result to be able to see easily "here are all the follow-the-life-of" shows, "here are all the carefree relaxing" shows. Nobody is losing anything this way. Drama and carefree shows are like fire and water after all; not to say you can't like both, but they don't mix well.
I dunno man, I dunno. I can't speak for Love Live but I have watched Tari Tari, Bunny Drop and Shirobako and I don't think those were that far away from being largely carefree or relaxing. I did say that I don't watch those kind of shows but I have seen a few so I do know what they're like. I'm just not see it as clear cut as you are.

I get that you're not a fan of the genre categories being so all encompassing and generic but I actually like it for that reason and for reasons you largely stated for the Voice Actor category: It means a more competitive category and a stronger feeling that the winner has really earned it. I really felt like the genres that we've had were all "primary colour" genres and that carefree shows are more of a Slice of Life subgenre but I guess not everyone is seeing it the way I am. I think the current proposal (Version 4) is still the best solution at this current moment of time. Keeping is named as Slice of Life is still probably going to put more "serious" Slice of Life shows into competition with the same "Carefree" shows even when they have their own categories but if that's how people interpret it, that's the way it should be imo.

Quote:
You know it's funny, I actually saw your nomination for Hiroaki Hirata and thought "Hey I didn't think of that. I couldn't think of anyone to nominate but that's actually someone I legit want to nominate now. Except I need to go to sleep now so I'll edit my post later."

And then I totally forgot all about it until now. Oops. XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 16:33   Link #71
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I dunno man, I dunno. I can't speak for Love Live but I have watched Tari Tari, Bunny Drop and Shirobako and I don't think those were that far away from being largely carefree or relaxing. I did say that I don't watch those kind of shows but I have seen a few so I do know what they're like. I'm just not see it as clear cut as you are.

I get that you're not a fan of the genre categories being so all encompassing and generic but I actually like it for that reason and for reasons you largely stated for the Voice Actor category: It means a more competitive category and a stronger feeling that the winner has really earned it. I really felt like the genres that we've had were all "primary colour" genres and that carefree shows are more of a Slice of Life subgenre but I guess not everyone is seeing it the way I am. I think the current proposal (Version 4) is still the best solution at this current moment of time. Keeping is named as Slice of Life is still probably going to put more "serious" Slice of Life shows into competition with the same "Carefree" shows even when they have their own categories but if that's how people interpret it, that's the way it should be imo.
We could move Slice of Life to B. In other words make it a style rather then a genre. There's less of this perceived conflict between the three (Drama, Slice of Life & Carefree) in C with it moved to B. It it pretty much the same case as sports now that I think about it. xP
Old 2019-02-09, 17:33   Link #72
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

On MAL there is a position listed as "Sound Director", so wouldn't it be better to name the corresponding point "Best Sound Direction"? Or alternatively "Best SFX" or "Best SFX Usage"?
I just mean... "Best Use of Sound" sounds... off somehow.
Old 2019-02-09, 17:48   Link #73
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

SFX is an abbreviation for "Special Effects".

You're probably thinking of BGM (Background Music).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 23:36   Link #74
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I have to say, your current avatar works so perfectly well for that reaction
Well, I guess I just take this medium (very) lightly. People are gonna vote whatever they vote, and adding more complexity to make them think longer doesn't work. They just won't vote.

Honestly, there's quite a few people that get overwhelmed when they have to fill out a form. Yes, you don't have to vote in a category if you don't want to but I see overly large blocks of text as an eyesore. And I tend to post a lot of tl;dr myself.

It's like when people freaked out over the first and only double champ Rem when that was such an odd outlier due to how Re:Zero was written. You can't just look at stuff in hindsight and look backwards just because one doesn't like the results. Personally, I've always valued simplicity and accessibility over the details.

However, that's just my viewpoint, and I understand that I am a super casual fan of anime.

Plus I have plenty of favorite male VA's too. Bad sample size to judge people's tastes, especially this year.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2019-02-10, 03:01   Link #75
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
On MAL there is a position listed as "Sound Director", so wouldn't it be better to name the corresponding point "Best Sound Direction"? Or alternatively "Best SFX" or "Best SFX Usage"?
I just mean... "Best Use of Sound" sounds... off somehow.
I have no problem with that. Given the push to change it, and if nobody has some good objections to "Best Sound Direction", we'll likely change it to that.
Old 2019-02-10, 03:07   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

Plus I have plenty of favorite male VA's too. Bad sample size to judge people's tastes, especially this year.
How about every year since the category was introduced - is that a large enough sample size?

Honestly I don’t see this as a massive jump in complexity. It’s one more category exactly identical in form to an existing one. At some point you have to give people a little credit.
Old 2019-02-10, 17:03   Link #77
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
How about every year since the category was introduced - is that a large enough sample size?
You mean VA? It was this year, lol.

The biggest trend I've seen is that participation gets lower every year. It's not necessarily in anyone's control, but that's what we have to deal with.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2019-02-10, 19:29   Link #78
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Well, I guess I just take this medium (very) lightly. People are gonna vote whatever they vote, and adding more complexity to make them think longer doesn't work. They just won't vote.
that is exactly what I did in the nominations. Didn't vote in categories that would make me do a search. Would do the same thing next year. I'm lazy..
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-10, 20:28   Link #79
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
that is exactly what I did in the nominations. Didn't vote in categories that would make me do a search. Would do the same thing next year. I'm lazy..
Which is fine. Adding one more category you plan to skip doesn't make you any less likely to vote period, does it?
Old 2019-02-10, 20:47   Link #80
Top Sergeant

Haak & Felix:

That most recent set of categories seems fine.