AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-04-07, 19:15   Link #1
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

雲 – Cloud

I discovered this little gem of a free game called Cloud. You play as a boy flying in the sky, capable of manipulating clouds, and do fanciful tasks with them, such as making a lollipop in the sky out of clouds, or destroying black polluted clouds by combining them with pure white clouds to create showers. It is in 3D perspective, and flying in the sky with its scheme of controls will take a little time to get use to, but soon it will become second nature. The game does a very good job of capturing the essence of its title, cloud, its imaginations and feelings, aided by dreamy music and gentle art. There is a sad little tale about the final imaginations of the boy is attached as the premise of this game. Nevertheless, it is soft, wistful, and relaxing. Play, and enjoy the atmosphere, in both its meanings. Here are some images of the game.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 20:44   Link #2
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

It's a nice game, but the controls are a bit frustrating... especially considering the clouds tend to attract each other. I'm still trying to get the lolipop out. But as far as atmosphere is concerned, it's a seriously good game. The music is just beautiful.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 21:53   Link #3
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I hate to say this, but this game is a perfect example of style over substance. Beneath the fluffy feel-good veniere is a vapid, vacuous 2-d game no more innovative than the game of "life" (to which it is similar, in many respects). If the game play didn't get repetitive after 15 minutes and there were actually a set of open ended goals, then this might impress me. But design is only one part of making a good game and this lacks most of the rest.
It's pretty, and it's well made for non-professionals... hell, it'll get them a good job I bet. But there's a reason this game is free .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 23:27   Link #4
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Oh, Quarkboy you’re being too harsh. Either you’re missing the point of the “game”, or you’re simply not appealed by it. The game isn’t just about completing the “goals”, they’re mostly there to help you understand the simple game mechanics. The real fun is making clouds in your own shapes and sizes. I let my inner kid out and spent plenty more than 15 minutes doing that. If it manages to entertain me for decent amount of time than I’d say it has done its job as a game. Of course, that depends on what your definition of a game is what you look for in them. But yes, more levels of different environments and being able to put clouds in any layer in true 3D would add a lot more to the experience. But Cloud is simple, as intended, and coming from a group of non-professional students offering it for free, it’s good enough.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2006-04-07 at 23:39.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 23:56   Link #5
SlugZilla
woofles

Really reminds me of Katamari Damacy, there's a level that is exactly like that too.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 15:49   Link #6
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
This game is awesome, but is still not a full-fledged game, it makes me wonder about the posibilities, I downloaded the demo long ago and they havent implemented level 4 completly yet, but it is already doing a lot more than just drawing clouds, and making rain is just the beginning. I would love some publisher to support this game as game for Nintendo's Revolution, the controller is simply perfect for it.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote