AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-02-07, 16:40   Link #1
Link1335

Send a message via AIM to Link1335
Windows "freezing" error! Help please!

Hey guys, I'm not really sure why this has just started to happen on my computer. I believe I know the "file" responsible for this. I just recently downloaded an episode of Ghost Hunt. Now when I tried to go into my folder where I keep my anime, "Windows" just freezes up and I have to use the good ol' CTRL + ALT + DEL to get my computer back into working condition. I deleted the file I thought was in question...just thinking that it could be the single file. After that I downloaded the same episode, but from a different sub group. Once again this problem comes up.

Every once in a while, my firefox browser will pop up after I close the program and will say there was an error with MPEG2 Demultiplexer. I'm not quite sure what this means since I'm not all that technological advanced I do know that I have installed a bunch of codecs, so I don't really think this is a codec issue. I'm also downloading two other episodes of that show. I also thought that the downloading files could just be affecting it in some way...but I doubt thats the case either. It was working fine right after I had deleted the first file. If ANYONE has any idea what might be the problem or a way to fix it, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance!
Link1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 16:50   Link #2
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link1335 View Post
...Every once in a while, my firefox browser will pop up after I close the program and will say there was an error with MPEG2 Demultiplexer. I'm not quite sure what this means since I'm not all that technological advanced I do know that I have installed a bunch of codecs,
I see.

Quote:
so I don't really think this is a codec issue.
Now thats a funny conclusion. It states your MPEG2 multiplexer is the culprit... in that case it is most propably a codec issue (maybe MPEG2 Demultiplexer and MPEG2 Audio/Video Decoder don't fit together, or a crappy MPEG2 Demultiplexer is screwing up firefox)

Quote:
I'm also downloading two other episodes of that show. I also thought that the downloading files could just be affecting it in some way...but I doubt thats the case either. It was working fine right after I had deleted the first file. If ANYONE has any idea what might be the problem or a way to fix it, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance!
Does this error only occur if you use the preview functionality of your browser? (what happens in the list view mode?)
Old 2007-02-07, 17:22   Link #3
Link1335

I do usually keep my files in the preview function, and I have thought of that in trying to resolve my solution. I tried switching it to list view and still comes up with the same problem. I have a "anime" folder...then in that folder I have it subfoldered into what anime series I am getting at the time. It sometimes even freezes when I try to go into the anime folder itself and not the "Ghost Hunt" folder.

This is the full message that sometimes popped up that gave me hope before....

Download updates for MPEG 2 Demultiplexor

This problem was caused by MPEG 2 Demultiplexor. MPEG 2 Demultiplexor was created by Elecard Ltd..

A solution is available that will solve this problem.

Solution

Go to the Elecard Ltd. website to learn more about the solution.

I have visited their website, downloaded their codec packs (previous to writing the first post) and installed their packs. Maybe there was a problem in the install process? Like it dosen't freeze up firefox at all...I'm not sure why it wouldn't work even after the install of the codec (that's why I stated I didn't think it was a codec problem)
Old 2007-02-07, 18:28   Link #4
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Elecard, hm, never heard of them. I use InterVideo.

Concerning your folder problem...maybe it can't read certain parts of the hdd, but that would be a sign for a dying hdd... more likely something different, can I ask how many files you have approximately in those subfolders?
Old 2007-02-08, 06:33   Link #5
Link1335

Erm, it varies from time to time...depending on which anime I've watched or not...as of now I only have 6 files altogether at the moment. I've had much more at different times and they've caused no problems. What I think I'm going to try is getting rid of all my codec packs and try installing the CCCP one and see if that clears it all up
Old 2007-02-09, 09:33   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
What I think I'm going to try is getting rid of all my codec packs and try installing the CCCP one and see if that clears it all up
It sounds like a codec problem to me. It can be difficult to remove codecs if you have a lot installed, so try to be as thorough as you can about it. Often we think that having more codecs is better, but it's actually better practice to try and keep your codecs to a minimum. It prevents possible conflicts (usually in the way of codecs acting when they shouldn't be) and it also makes fixing problems a bit easier.
Old 2007-02-10, 13:25   Link #7
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Instead of uninstalling all the codecs you have installed, you can try to reinstall Elecard's codec package. If you have installed it incorrectly (or it became corrupted later on maybe because of a conflicted codec package), and if you cannot able to remove all of its pieces, the problem might occur again. So, just concentrate on that part first, then move forward with the other codecs, only if this doesn't help.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote