AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-01-11, 08:25   Link #41
Tenzen12

Well, if you think everyone but handsome people are creepy, that's on you.
Old 2021-01-11, 08:46   Link #42
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well, if you think everyone but handsome people are creepy, that's on you.
I'm more puzzled by the fact you think that guy isn't creepy. Why you think he's harmless.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-11, 09:07   Link #43
Tenzen12

Because he is treated as harmless by everyone in show and they know him for while.
Old 2021-01-11, 10:46   Link #44
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I'm slightly concerned he also did Persona 5 the Animation... P5 had speed pacing on par with something like Index III.

I checked the manga out in the past and it didn't really click for me but I figured I'd give it another shot with the new adaptation. I still don't get the appeal of the closet hipster and motherly onee-san pairing but its cute so far.
I think it's easier to adapt a manga like Horimiya than it is a full and very involved game like P5. And the production for this seems much smoother than either P5 or Index III.

Is Miyamura a hipster? I don't think he's intentionally trying to be .
Old 2021-01-11, 11:51   Link #45
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Creepy teachers are a tradition in Japanese popular media. For me they date back to Azumanga Daioh.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-11, 17:47   Link #46
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Is Miyamura a hipster? I don't think he's intentionally trying to be .
He's succeeding either way. I guess at the time when it debuted Nana was already holding down the Sid and Nancy vibe... although when you think about it, Nana Osaki and Hachiko were also kind of a hipster and housewife pair... hrmmm.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-11, 19:06   Link #47
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I never thought of tats and multiple piercings as hipster so much, in broad terms. But I think Miya makes it clear in the premiere that in his specific case it's mostly just the result of a kid making impulsive decisions.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-11, 20:03   Link #48
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I never thought of tats and multiple piercings as hipster so much, in broad terms. But I think Miya makes it clear in the premiere that in his specific case it's mostly just the result of a kid making impulsive decisions.
I use the term "hipster" specifically because his piercings and tats don't seem to be about anything but being stylish so far. And he's got that aughts 'emo' style down pat. Nana on the other hand was punk rock and in a "visual kei" band.

I actually pierced my nose by safety pin (well my friend did) when I was younger and it wasn't too bad... but Miya's tattoos are definitely professional though.
Old 2021-01-11, 20:21   Link #49
Kazu-kun

Quote:
If it was a single piercing, the "making an impulsive decision" thing could make some sense. But he's got like tons of piercings and tattoos and what not. As it as, I think he actually likes the style even if he won't admit it.
Old 2021-01-11, 20:36   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
If it was a single piercing, the "making an impulsive decision" thing could make some sense. But he's got like tons of piercings and tattoos and what not. As it as, I think he actually likes the style even if he won't admit it.
Yes, teenage boys always learn from mistakes and never repeat impulsive decisions.

Oh, I agree he likes it. But he doesn't like wearing a winter uni in Japanese summer, or full sweats in P.E. every day, or not being able to go in the pool. I think the point in fact is that he thought "this would be cool" and did those things without thinking of the other things (as he notes, his mom agrees).
Old 2021-01-11, 20:40   Link #51
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"He's handsome, so it's fine"?

I don't think it works like that.
Except in fiction, it does.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-11, 22:59   Link #52
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Except in fiction, it does.
It does in real life as well. Look up the guys that made a fake dating profile with a male model's picture and a convicted pedophile's record and see all the hits and messages they got.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-11, 23:10   Link #53
Mangaka-chan

Quote:
Yes, teenage boys always learn from mistakes and never repeat impulsive decisions.

Oh, I agree he likes it. But he doesn't like wearing a winter uni in Japanese summer, or full sweats in P.E. every day, or not being able to go in the pool. I think the point in fact is that he thought "this would be cool" and did those things without thinking of the other things (as he notes, his mom agrees).
This is a very faint spoiler, but I'm honestly surprised by how chill Miyamura's mom is about him getting so many piercings, not to mention the tattoos. The closest I've ever seen my mom have a heart attack was when she saw me at dinner right after I got my ears pierced...and I was in my late twenties at the time. =_=

To Enzo's point though, my reason for getting my ears pierced was pretty much a spur of the moment "why not?" impulse, so I can definitely see it happen to a teenage character like Miyamura.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-12, 10:45   Link #54
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Oh, I agree he likes it. But he doesn't like wearing a winter uni in Japanese summer, or full sweats in P.E. every day, or not being able to go in the pool.
Bet he's never been in an onsen either. Proprietors of onsen resorts have had a problem with foreign tourists with tattoos. To the Japanese they often connote yakuza ties.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/no...IVST2KDLYRUHI/

Places where tattoos are often not allowed: onsen (hot springs), sento (public baths), ryokan (traditional inns), pools, gyms and even capsule hotels.

Hori seems remarkably accepting of Miyamura's tattoos given how strong the taboo is in Japan.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-12, 11:21   Link #55
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Hori seems remarkably accepting of Miyamura's tattoos given how strong the taboo is in Japan.
The fact he's pretty hot probably helps in that respect.
Old 2021-01-12, 16:52   Link #56
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Bet he's never been in an onsen either. Proprietors of onsen resorts have had a problem with foreign tourists with tattoos. To the Japanese they often connote yakuza ties.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/no...IVST2KDLYRUHI/

Places where tattoos are often not allowed: onsen (hot springs), sento (public baths), ryokan (traditional inns), pools, gyms and even capsule hotels.

That taboo is loosening just a bit, with certain touristy places relaxing the rules for foreigners (who obviously aren't yakuza). And there are always some local sento that look the other way, because yakuza are a big part of their clientele.
Old 2021-01-12, 17:37   Link #57
Frontier

I think Hori is just used to how Miyamura, is so she didn't judge him for it. She did partially think he was pretty dumb for getting tattoos .

Of course she also wasn't too flustered at basically seeing him shirtless .
Old 2021-01-12, 18:00   Link #58
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The fact he's pretty hot probably helps in that respect.
He does have a nice body for someone who probably eats a lot of cake and skips PE a lot.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-12, 18:59   Link #59
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He does have a nice body for someone who probably eats a lot of cake and skips PE a lot.
He jogs in a tracksuit with the jacket on in the middle of a scorching summer, it helps.
Old 2021-01-12, 19:34   Link #60
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

...with dehydration, if nothing else.

Some people don't really eat where they work so he may not necessarily eat much cake either.