AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-26, 11:22   Link #521
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It'd be nice if they did a subtle shout-out to the novels and changed the numbers of the repetitions, so the last episode matches the real number.
That would also have to involve editing the scene where Kyon takes out his phone's calculator to find how many years Yuki has been observing. =P
Old 2010-03-26, 11:57   Link #522
GDB

Only for one episode, and it's a relatively static scene. Shouldn't be too hard to edit it via alternate angles.
Old 2010-03-26, 18:48   Link #523
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Pretty sure "subtle changes" means "gag dub". Not that the original wasn't approaching that near the end anyway.
Old 2010-03-29, 01:24   Link #524
Blayne Barudorii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, Freeman and Wendee Lee should still be around, as they're both unbelievable workhorses. Their body of work is unreal!

I don't know as much about the other voice actors though.
Wasn't CrisVee replacing Wendee Lee?

On a related note I liked the Russian dub as sounding alright and consistent (despite not understanding a word of it, and the english dub worked pretty good and I keep accidentily "switching" into it when reading the light novels (usually I imagine the Japanese VA speaking in English and sometimes I just imagine the English dub VA speaking)
- "I used to think spells equaled power, too. Back when I was alive... You know what equals power? Power equals power. Crazy huh? ... If you can lose it by blowing two will saves then you never had power to begin with." - Xykon's much needed Hannibal Lecture to Varsuvius.

If your interested in an Oots style avatar please feel free to PM me and we can work out the details then.
Old 2010-03-29, 03:12   Link #525
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne Barudorii View Post
Wasn't CrisVee replacing Wendee Lee?
Pretty sure the only Haruhi she's playing (outside of English adaptations of the songs) is in the live-action ASOS Brigade shorts.

Quote:
...usually I imagine the Japanese VA speaking in English...
GET OUT OF MY MIIIND!!
Old 2010-04-01, 17:57   Link #526
Blayne Barudorii

Explanation to those who don't get the joke? I understand 'get out of my head' as possibly a reference to you doing the same but I don't understand the connection to dune.
- "I used to think spells equaled power, too. Back when I was alive... You know what equals power? Power equals power. Crazy huh? ... If you can lose it by blowing two will saves then you never had power to begin with." - Xykon's much needed Hannibal Lecture to Varsuvius.

If your interested in an Oots style avatar please feel free to PM me and we can work out the details then.
Old 2010-04-02, 23:47   Link #527
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Explanation to those who don't get the joke? I understand 'get out of my head' as possibly a reference to you doing the same but I don't understand the connection to dune.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/quotes
Old 2010-04-25, 07:41   Link #528
TakariCritic

Hey, I had the oppurtunity to speak with Johnny Yong Bosch this weekend at Tora-Con in Rochester.

He said he hadn't started work on Season two just yet, and he hadn't heard anything regarding dubbing Disappearance, although he seemed quite interested in it.

I just hope he enjoys his "Endless recursion of time" and "I rab you"s.
Old 2010-04-26, 09:52   Link #529
OkamiNoKaze

You know what would be cool, them releasing both at the same time, Season 2 and the movie. If that was the case I could totally wait that long
Old 2010-04-26, 10:47   Link #530
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
You know what would be cool, them releasing both at the same time, Season 2 and the movie. If that was the case I could totally wait that long
It wouldn't surprise me if they released the two very close together in time. Assuming they don't overwork poor Crispin Freeman to death before they manage to finish all the dubbing. All those Kyon Endless Eight scenes . . . the fact that Disappearance will essentially be the "Crispin Freeman Show."
Old 2010-04-26, 11:35   Link #531
FlashFumo
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
the "Crispin Freeman Show."
Sold.

10characterlimitlol
Old 2010-04-26, 12:16   Link #532
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
the "Crispin Freeman Show."
Also sold!
Old 2010-04-26, 16:20   Link #533
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
"Crispin Freeman Show."
Isn't that pretty much any show he's in?

All Glory to the Greentext.
Old 2010-04-26, 16:38   Link #534
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
Isn't that pretty much any show he's in?
Not really, Code Geass was more like "The JYB Show".
Old 2010-04-26, 17:52   Link #535
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Yep, right there. Don't even have to scroll down to get both of them... ^_^

(Okay, maybe you have to scroll down a tad...)
Old 2010-04-27, 09:07   Link #536
OkamiNoKaze

This was put up on Anime News Network recently, I'm pretty sure it won't effect season 2, but it might for the movie and future seasons

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ut-fan-support
Old 2010-04-27, 10:23   Link #537
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
This was put up on Anime News Network recently, I'm pretty sure it won't effect season 2, but it might for the movie and future seasons

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ut-fan-support
It probably won't affect the movie, since when they get done dubbing the 2009 episodes, they can literally get to work on the movie the next day (since the English cast will already be there, and Bandai and BZ!E are apparently already on-contract to release the film as a dub.)

As for any other Haruhi . . . well, when you can get it piratefan-subbed . . . on Youtube less than seventy-two Cap'n Morgan soaked hours after the raw TV broadcast, Kadokawa will cheerfully sell you an English-subbed DVD three months later, and given the hostility of many in anime's Western audience towards dubs . . . future Haruhi will be sub-only.

There are only two things that could stop that. One is for Kadokawa to re-license the franchise to one of the shrinking number of Western anime importers who are still in the dub business (unlikely, given the changing Western anime market.) Or Haruhi becomes big enough for a dub to be profitable (unlikely, given that it's not exactly kid-friendly fare, nor is it quite the phenomenon that it is in Japan.)
Old 2010-04-27, 12:38   Link #538
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Part of the problem is in some ways they only have themselves to blame. The differences between regional releases are pretty huge. Even more so in the UK compared to the US, where it often seems to be 6 months+ after a US release that we see it.
With a growing international community on the internet, and the lack of internet region barriers, when subbed versions are often available within hours, making people wait YEARS for official versions of shows is almost asking for a percentage to say **** this and just go watch it.

As an example, I bought my copy of S&W S1 Funimation Dub edition legitimately by import, its been out in the US for over 6 months now. There is STILL no europe release.
I'd have rather have bought a legitimate PAL copy too, because the picture is better than NTSC bar the minor reduction in refresh rate, also not everyone has a region free player, or is willing to import.

When legitimate english versions are available/english viewable (subbed) versions are available within such a short time frame, by staggering releases by such a long time period some of the publishing companies are really asking for people to ignore them, or to not buy properties in the rate they want, regardless of whether its legal or not.
In fact given its arguably not licensed/released licensed in this region, it then becomes even more of a grey area, despite the fact watching downloaded/streamed versions doesn't support the original parties.

If dubbing groups/companies and the licensors jumped on the decent properties and got them out here weeks/months, rather than months/years after initial release, I doubt they'd be in such as bad a state as they are.
There are always going to be pirates, regardless of format, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Bluray, who will never buy the products, but sometimes they're not helping themselves in regards to the legitimate fans who would LIKE to buy the product if they COULD.
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2010-04-27, 13:26   Link #539
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Part of the problem is in some ways they only have themselves to blame. The differences between regional releases are pretty huge. Even more so in the UK compared to the US, where it often seems to be 6 months+ after a US release that we see it.
As I understand it, the process of obtaining a license to distribute a given series in the West is a very difficult one. The Japanese media companies don't want Japanese consumers buying their anime in the West and re-importing it into Japan. (It's cheaper here, as I understand it; though people here complain about how expensive it is.) End result, the Japanese end up sitting on properties until they've made their first flush of money from the DVDs, BDs, and assorted marketing tie-ins. The export market is almost an afterthought to them.

After that, the Western importers go through the process of re-writing it so that the lip-flaps match the spoken dialogue (transforming some 'legit' Western subs into an unintentionally hilarious exercise in tortured linguistics.) Then they have the auditions, the dubbing, and all that . . . only for a certain vocal segment of the Western anime audience to scream and fling their own poo about how much dubs suck and that we should all appreciate anime for the haute art that it is. (Disregarding the fact that, for the most part, it's a pop-culture medium whose sole purpose is to serve as a marketing vehicle to market enormous volumes of utter crap merchandise to hyper-consumerist otaku.)

Quote:
With a growing international community on the internet, and the lack of internet region barriers, when subbed versions are often available within hours, making people wait YEARS for official versions of shows is almost asking for a percentage to say **** this and just go watch it.
Worse, before too long, I expect that the Japanese media companies themselves will eliminate the middlemen and directly stream English-subbed product over the interwebs. Remember Haruhi-chan and Nyoron Churuya-san?

Quote:
If dubbing groups/companies and the licensors jumped on the decent properties and got them out here weeks/months, rather than months/years after initial release, I doubt they'd be in such as bad a state as they are.
One man's "decent property" is another man's "utter rubbish." Who defines what is a "decent property"?
Old 2010-04-27, 15:15   Link #540
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Quote:
Worse, before too long, I expect that the Japanese media companies themselves will eliminate the middlemen and directly stream English-subbed product over the interwebs. Remember Haruhi-chan and Nyoron Churuya-san?
While I would appreciate the effort of directly availible English subs, they would have to be in pretty good quality unlike what they did with Haruhi-chan and Nyoron Churuya-san.
Closed Thread