AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-26, 16:55   Link #1
Fome

Music-related anime?

I'm looking for a good music related anime, in which the main premise revolves around playing instruments, singing, composing, conducting, etc. I've seen Beck, which was a beautiful piece, although it had pretty low production values. I'm in the process of watching Black Heaven.

A well-written score is a must for this genre in my opinion. If anyone has a suggestion, please post.
Old 2007-06-26, 17:12   Link #2
Morganchan
Gero?!

Full Moon wo Sagashite! It's about a 12-year old girl named Mitsuki who dreams of becoming a singer to fulfill a promise she made to a friend. I watched all fifty-two episodes a couple years ago and loved it, although there's some random fluff episodes now and then. Very cute show with a darker twist; the main character is dying thanks to a tumor in her throat. Then a couple of (awesome) Shinigami show up and she finds out she's got one year to live, and sets off to pursue her dream.

Sounds odd, I know, but go check it out It's real cute. There's a few DVDs out now, and all of the manga's avaliable, too. It doesn't have a epic, sweeping musical score, but music and the industry play a big part throughout the series, and the singing's good. The only unfortunate thing I can say is that it's all pop-ish music which could potentially be very grating to some people, and in the anime you only get exposition on a couple of the characters as opposed to the manga.
Old 2007-06-26, 17:42   Link #3
UPR

Nodame Cantabile
Old 2007-06-26, 17:42   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Given your interests I'd assume you're already watching Nodame Cantabile. If not, then this is the show for you. Fundamentally a romantic comedy, but with quite a bit of drama thrown in from time to time, Nodame depicts the lives of students at a Japanese classical music academy. Some excellent performances throughout.

Edit: UPR snuck in there ahead of me
Old 2007-06-26, 19:10   Link #5
Theowne
耳をすませば

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ighlight=music

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ighlight=music

Those two threads have some suggestions in there for this.

In the meantime, I'll throw in another vote for Nodame Cantabile.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2007-06-26, 20:01   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Yeah, I'll devote almost an entire post just to support Nodame Cantabile also. It's the best anime in my opinion made in the last two years, so that's saying a lot. This anime is good and original, with many many funny moments. It's one of the anime that took me by surprise when I thought anime couldn't get better.

Love Hina isn't music-centered, but throughout the course of the anime, there were many great songs, some performed by one of the main characters herself. I enjoyed the anime and I enjoyed the songs.
Old 2007-06-26, 21:17   Link #7
nikooru-chan
~Lunar Midnight~

La Corda d'Oro ~Primo Passo~

music based everything basically

there's a little romance involved in the story too...i think you'll like it ^_^

u could also try Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch
it's also pretty good
Old 2007-06-26, 23:47   Link #8
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I will contribute nothing to this thread by being the nth person to mention Nodame Cantabile. Honestly, it was the first show that even came to mind when I just read the topic title. And if excellent musical scores are a must, then I hope you consider the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, and other classics to be excellent.

To be honest, I didn't really like the character designs of Nodame Cantabile, but seeing as you enjoyed BECK even though you recognized its low production values, I don't think this will be a problem at all for you.

Also, from what I've heard, the live action version of Nodame Cantabile is suppose to be better than the anime, according to pretty much everyone I've talked to who's seen both versions. I haven't seen the live action version, though, so take it as you will.
Old 2007-06-27, 02:17   Link #9
funk

why do we love nodame cantabile so much? im even devoting my first post to say what so many have already said.

...o right it's because Nodame Cantabile is teh pure awesome! Not only is it a feel good anime, but now i have to buy a keyboard to properly learn to play one ;D.
Old 2007-06-27, 13:09   Link #10
Pendevous
Yoroshiku
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Pendevous
Nodame Cantabile shall own this thread. Seriously, even if you are not a fan of the genre, it's one heck of an anime to watch.
Old 2007-06-27, 18:23   Link #11
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Looks like Nodame Cantabile pwns this thread hmmm so I'm in the 8th position who voted Nodame

also adding Kaikan Phrase
Old 2007-06-27, 20:24   Link #12
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'll repost just to revote for Nodame Cantabile since it's just the most beautiful thing I've seen (in a while) and I'm waiting for it to end so I can shove it right up my top ten list.

REC is good too, but I'm not sure what kind of music you like (classical or modern). Although it is not considered to be a musical anime, The Place Promised in Our Early Days has instrumental music throughout the movie and it contributed profoundly to the mood of the anime. You should really check this out. In a certain part the violin almost made me teary.
Old 2007-06-27, 22:53   Link #13
shiro83

Nodame Cantabile
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...anime&aid=4691

Beck
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...anime&aid=2320

Kachou Oji
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...=anime&aid=406
Old 2007-06-28, 20:49   Link #14
DanielSong39

Would NANA count?

I thought Nana was a more interesting character than Hachi, myself... and found it interesting that the so-called "dark NANA" was actually the more moral and responsible person.
Closed Thread