AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-12-05, 08:14   Link #1
Narona
Emotionless White Face

World Cup 2010: Final Draw is Out

I hate Football, really, I hate it, but I will do an exception since no one created a thread about it. Because............................ Slovakia is part of it

The Final Draw for South Africa 2010 took place yesterday in Cape Town. Now we know the groups:

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece
Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia
Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana,
Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon
Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia
Group G: Brazil, Korea DPR, Côte d'Ivoire, Portugal
Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

From what I understood today when listening the news, France and Domenech got super Lucky.

But from what I understood, they don't believe that Slovakia can pass since they consider it can not win against Italy and Paraguay..............

Yoko, we will be enemies ^^
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 08:30   Link #2
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

Yoko, we will be enemies ^^
!!!!

I c wut u did thar!!

Truth be told, I personally don't think Italy's even gonna make it the first round. In fact, I'm actually hoping that won't happen because they've been playing like crap since the last World Cup and even before it. If anything, I don't think they deserve it. On the other hand, I have more faith in the USA right now. They played really well in the last World Cup and showed that they improved many times over since then. Not to mention they were the ones who broke Spain's winning streak last year.

However, what I would like to see is that the ultimate winners of this cup will be a team that hasn't won it for a long time. So far, the only people who've been winning are Brazil, France and Italy. I'm hoping to see Spain, USA or South Africa take the cup this time.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 08:57   Link #3
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
!!!!

I c wut u did thar!!

Quote:
Truth be told, I personally don't think Italy's even gonna make it the first round. In fact, I'm actually hoping that won't happen because they've been playing like crap since the last World Cup and even before it. If anything, I don't think they deserve it. On the other hand, I have more faith in the USA right now. They played really well in the last World Cup and showed that they improved many times over since then. Not to mention they were the ones who broke Spain's winning streak last year.
Italy played like crap before the previous WC from I understood today, but they won. So... let's see what will happen. About the USA, They didn't really talk about it on the radio.

Quote:
However, what I would like to see is that the ultimate winners of this cup will be a team that hasn't won it for a long time. So far, the only people who've been winning are Brazil, France and Italy. I'm hoping to see Spain, USA or South Africa take the cup this time.
I would prefer Slovakia to win it, but people think they will not even pass the first round

You don't see England having a chance?

BTW, the jokes about how domenech is lucky as a cuckold are hilarious
Old 2009-12-05, 09:02   Link #4
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Italy played like crap before the previous WC from I understood today, but they won. So... let's see what will happen. About the USA, They didn't really talk about it on the radio.
Italy always sucks before any WC, and they suddenly receive amazing luck after the first round and manage to get at least up to the quarter-finals. In the WC before last, though, they were really smashed by Korea because the ref gave Totti the red card for a foul that wasn't done by him, but to him!

But I don't really like Italy's play style. They rely a lot of bogus falls and fouls to get more punishment shots. That's why I'd rather not see them get past the first this time.

Quote:
I would prefer Slovakia to win it, but people think they will not even pass the first round

You don't see England having a chance?
England's ok I guess, but they haven't been playing exceptionally well. I like Spain because they won the Euro cup and had one of the longest winning streaks in a while, and the US because they broke it

South Africa because they're playing at home.
Old 2009-12-05, 09:53   Link #5
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Italy always sucks before any WC, and they suddenly receive amazing luck after the first round and manage to get at least up to the quarter-finals. In the WC before last, though, they were really smashed by Korea because the ref gave Totti the red card for a foul that wasn't done by him, but to him!

But I don't really like Italy's play style. They rely a lot of bogus falls and fouls to get more punishment shots. That's why I'd rather not see them get past the first this time.
Actually, from what I learned from my male classmates is that people tend to prefer team like Brazil because their play style is all about attacking and being spectacular. While european teams are more about defending and relying on faults that the adversaries can do.

Quote:
England's ok I guess, but they haven't been playing exceptionally well. I like Spain because they won the Euro cup and had one of the longest winning streaks in a while, and the US because they broke it

South Africa because they're playing at home.
I have no football culture so I can't comment about Spain.

From what I've listened to today, they think that in their group, South Africa is likely to be third behind France and Uruguay. But then again, this is their world cup, so maybe they will beat France (not that I care)
Old 2009-12-05, 09:55   Link #6
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Actually, from what I learned from my male classmates is that people tend to prefer team like Brazil because their play style is all about attacking and being spectacular. While european teams are more about defending and relying on faults that the adversaries can do.
True, Brazil has a good play style, and so does the US. You have to forgive me though. Considering how many WC's Brazil won in the last decade, I'm inclined to prefer seeing someone else take the cup.
Old 2009-12-05, 10:19   Link #7
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

More amazed about the ammount of new teams, North Korea and New Zealand making the finals are something new in itself. To be fair as good a form USA have been on I don't see them beating England at all even if the English players haven't been the best lately. However Capello has one really commanding aura as a manager I haven't seen in a while.

Group A will be a fun group to watch, all very decent teams where I'd actually hold France the least convincing team to go through given how they literally had to cheat their way to the finals.

Group B should be interesting too, Argentina's morale are on a all time high with Maradona at the helm a very talented team to work with and they can only pick up steam. Nigeria aren't a half bad team probably the all-rounder of the group, South Korea are always fun to watch with their fast paced play. Greece are what throw the group into disarray, they're well known for having one of the strongest defenses around one that could drive anyone mad by playing them into a stalemate. So its probably going to be a battle for 2nd place.

Group C I'm going to give hands down to England and USA most likely it'll only be a question of who has the more commanding prescence. Its a question of Wayne Rooney vs Tim Howard whether he can keep him out or not, so overall kinda boring.

Group D I really don't know who to call on, Ghana has by far been the most impressive with Germany living upto their pedigree. But the Serbs aren't too shabby either and caused alot of upsets during the qualifying stages. Also I sorta want to see Australia wreck stuff since they usually bring some rowdy matches. XD

Group E will probably be my favourite group to watch, I tend to like watching the Dutch and Danes playing then throw in Japan and Cameroon and you have probably a group that can go either way. Keep in mind Cameroon are the best performing African nation this year which puts them the favourites along with Netherlands. But Japan like South Korea have performed very well in recent years.

Group F, Italy have been unconvincing to me they could very easily face another upset plus I don't terribly like the team on a whole. Paraguay are on top form so I could see them doing well, New Zealand are the Dark Horse of this tournament plus quite recently showed they're not that much weaker than Italy. Slovakia actually have a good chance as the dark horse of their group. They're very inexperienced on the world stage however, Robert Vittick is the only real noteworthy name I can think of.

Group G is the group of death thats all I can say, poor North Koreans XD

Group H I'm just calling Latin fever on this one.
Old 2009-12-05, 10:22   Link #8
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
/me does a little dance. Yay, much better than the test draw if I may say it.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 11:38   Link #9
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
More amazed about the ammount of new teams, North Korea and New Zealand making the finals are something new in itself. To be fair as good a form USA have been on I don't see them beating England at all even if the English players haven't been the best lately. However Capello has one really commanding aura as a manager I haven't seen in a while.
New team? North Korea made into the quarterfinal in 1966 World Cup beating Italy and almost went to semifinal but lost to Portugal 5-3 despite being up by 3 at one point. But yes it is bit refreshing to see teams that we haven't really seen before.
Quote:
Group A will be a fun group to watch, all very decent teams where I'd actually hold France the least convincing team to go through given how they literally had to cheat their way to the finals.
Repeat of 2002 for France then?
Quote:
Group B should be interesting too, Argentina's morale are on a all time high with Maradona at the helm a very talented team to work with and they can only pick up steam. Nigeria aren't a half bad team probably the all-rounder of the group, South Korea are always fun to watch with their fast paced play. Greece are what throw the group into disarray, they're well known for having one of the strongest defenses around one that could drive anyone mad by playing them into a stalemate. So its probably going to be a battle for 2nd place.
I am hoping that we could beat the Greek with our speed and if the 2008 Euro was any indication I think we are capable of beating them. Argentina despite being very good team I think out of all the seeded team, aside from South Africa, was probably the best choice. We do lot better against South Americans than a European team. I am hoping draw against Nigeria and Argentina and win against the Greek, that probably will give us a decent chance to move up to next round. Still our biggest problem is our lack of depth in offense, without our main striker we are screwed.
Quote:
Group C I'm going to give hands down to England and USA most likely it'll only be a question of who has the more commanding prescence. Its a question of Wayne Rooney vs Tim Howard whether he can keep him out or not, so overall kinda boring.
I wouldn't underestimate Slovenia, they did knock Russia out of the World Cup.
Quote:
Group D I really don't know who to call on, Ghana has by far been the most impressive with Germany living upto their pedigree. But the Serbs aren't too shabby either and caused alot of upsets during the qualifying stages. Also I sorta want to see Australia wreck stuff since they usually bring some rowdy matches. XD.
This is literally Group of D(eath) at this point. Serbia has many great players, and Ghana has great players like Essien. Australia is good but they don't really have depth with their players, however Chaill or Kewell are great players. Well Germany is Germany, so I expect them to move up, but anything could happen in this group.
Quote:
Group E will probably be my favourite group to watch, I tend to like watching the Dutch and Danes playing then throw in Japan and Cameroon and you have probably a group that can go either way. Keep in mind Cameroon are the best performing African nation this year which puts them the favourites along with Netherlands. But Japan like South Korea have performed very well in recent years.
I will be cheering for the Dutch on this one, but this group despite being very tough for Japan shouldn't be that bad. Dutch are very good, but from what I heard against their recently friendly Japan was actually pretty dominant through out the entire match but alas they always have problem with their goal, they should call Morimoto up then they will do better offensively. And Denmark should be beatable imo and Cameroon they could probably aim for a draw. A very wide open group from what I think.
Quote:
Group F, Italy have been unconvincing to me they could very easily face another upset plus I don't terribly like the team on a whole. Paraguay are on top form so I could see them doing well, New Zealand are the Dark Horse of this tournament plus quite recently showed they're not that much weaker than Italy. Slovakia actually have a good chance as the dark horse of their group. They're very inexperienced on the world stage however, Robert Vittick is the only real noteworthy name I can think of.
Very easy group for Italy, if they don't make it then well I am hoping they won't be calling conspiracy theory again.
Quote:
Group G is the group of death thats all I can say, poor North Koreans XD
Expect a 10-0-0 formation for North Korea.
Quote:
Group H I'm just calling Latin fever on this one.
Easy group for Spain as well, I am expecting Chile or Switzerland to come through as second.
Old 2009-12-05, 15:09   Link #10
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Vamos! Mexico can do it... One day....
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 15:21   Link #11
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I will be cheering for the Dutch on this one, but this group despite being very tough for Japan shouldn't be that bad. Dutch are very good, but from what I heard against their recently friendly Japan was actually pretty dominant through out the entire match but alas they always have problem with their goal, they should call Morimoto up then they will do better offensively. And Denmark should be beatable imo and Cameroon they could probably aim for a draw. A very wide open group from what I think.

Well the Netherlands Japan friendly was basically Japan putting up the pressure from the start, but couldn't keep it up. Netherlands scored, mostly because of individual skill. Our last few friendlies ended in 0-0 and where boring as hell to watch. We did a have a lot of starplayer out though. Am still hoping for Nistlerooy to make a Comeback for Real Madrid(hate the club tho >_> ), as he really wants to go to the WC2010 if possible.

Well North Korea's team is pretty much a big question mark, since no info is released on the K-league afaik. They play a 5-4-1 setup. It seems their star player is their striker Tae-Se Jong. Who plays a similar style as Rooney.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 15:37   Link #12
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
I am hoping that we could beat the Greek with our speed and if the 2008 Euro was any indication I think we are capable of beating them.
They were dissapointing in 08 but if the qualifiers were any indication they seem back to their old tricks. Speed is definitely something they'll need but South Korea needs a stronger attack to get through Otto Rehhegal's style of play. However I agree they perform well against S.American teams maybe because of their less emphasis on defense. Great for a player like Park Ji Sung who creates chances throughout a game.

Quote:
I wouldn't underestimate Slovenia, they did knock Russia out of the World Cup.
If they do the English will probably cry bloody murder...then get drunk afterwards like usual.

Quote:
Australia is good but they don't really have depth with their players, however Chaill or Kewell are great players.
Emerton and Schwarzer also come to mind too.

Quote:
XD

Quote:
Who plays a similar style as Rooney.
Thats a pretty big statement to say the least Rooney is a absolute goal scoring powerhouse, even if he does look like a gorilla.
Old 2009-12-05, 16:31   Link #13
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Vamos! Mexico can do it... One day....
It's all about keeping the fate!
Old 2009-12-05, 16:37   Link #14
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I hope you mean faith, because if we play according to our fate we are on our way for another round 16, as we have been doing for who knows how much time.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 17:00   Link #15
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Slovakia will crush you all!

Spoiler for .:
Old 2009-12-05, 17:05   Link #16
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Slovakia will crush you all!

Spoiler for .:
They'll crush Italy at least. Don't you worry about that.
Old 2009-12-05, 18:07   Link #17
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Thats a pretty big statement to say the least Rooney is a absolute goal scoring powerhouse, even if he does look like a gorilla.
Just so you know that's what the North Koreans think. It's not my opinion. It's just I read an article recently about the North Korean National Team.
Old 2009-12-05, 18:55   Link #18
Mattie

Send a message via MSN to Mattie
the group of death?
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 19:07   Link #19
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
the group of death?
Pretty much, I think Brazil is fine, but Côte d'Ivoire & Portugal is going to be pretty close.
Old 2009-12-05, 20:12   Link #20
Alleluia_Cone
Prospective Cog

I love how the English media has already overreacted to the chances of their side based on the assumption that they will finish first in their group and have an easy first round knockout match. I am convinced they will finish second in their group after blowing their first match against the United States and end up facing Germany in their first knockout rounds. It really would be poetic justice if that were to happen; even better if they were to lose to Germany in penalty kicks.
Alleluia_Cone is offline   Reply With Quote