AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you scared of the number 13?
I have Triskaidekaphobia 2 2.56%
I have only paraskavedekatriaphobia 4 5.13%
No, I have Tetraphobia 1 1.28%
No, I'm not afraid of any number 71 91.03%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-10-13, 17:07   Link #21
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I got exempted in Chemistry today, played great games in DotA and wrote as well as watched good anime. Do I have a problem with that? I definitely don't.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 17:18   Link #22
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Right, 4 is a very scary number.
I mean, in german, the pronunciation is "fear", that says it all, doesnt it?

Im going to play some 4 combat now...
vier, fear. Only if you have a bad accent .ie. english person trying to speak german =D

wie gehts?
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 19:56   Link #23
sanghyun1990
상현

It is stupid to fear Friday the 13th, the reason why people think it is unlucky is that Friday the 13th was when the knights of templar were attacked by King Phillip and their organzation was pretty much destroyed.
sanghyun1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 04:38   Link #24
Gaiarth

My younger brother was born on Friday 13th.

Whether I consider that lucky or unlucky depends on just how annoying he's being on any particular day
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 04:33   Link #25
LynRee
-

Nothing bad happened to me on Friday the 13th so far, so I don't really fear it. Actually, bad things happen to me on other days, usually. :P
LynRee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 06:55   Link #26
Alu
Guide my hand...

October's Friday the 13th ?

This friday the 13th was actualy the day or my 23rd Birthday.., so.., what a combination right ^^
But well.., thankfully, nothing bad happened ; far from it

Altough, altough.., just for laughts I wondered if I where to make it alive past friday ; not to mencione friends kept arround making fun of this aswell

But on a more serious note now..

I honestly never belived that the number "13" was anyhow related to "bad luck" or anything similar..., altough I do understand that there are many persons who belive otherwhise..

To me.., 13, or friday the 13th, or even your birthday ending up on this day realy has no relevance to "luck" on any way.. ; in fact.. maybe because I was born under this number I always looked at "13" as a lucky number, rather then a un-lucky one instead.

And.. truth be said.., alot of people feel the same aswell.

In the end.., in my prespective its just fun to joke arround if something bad would happen or not, but there are those who realy belive in it and those who don't...

"Luck".. can be something very tricky sometimes.., and its definitly something that you can't define just because the scales tip more towards 1 end or the other... ; the way I see it.., sometimes its there.., sometimes its not..

I've had many bad things happen during this month through out the years, and good things aswell.., but honestly..., not once did I think it was related to having the birthday on a 13th, friday or not.
Alu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 08:04   Link #27
crystar
*yawns*

Wow, I didn't even realize it was Friday the 13th two days ago. Of course, nothing happened. The day passed like any other day. Despite being Chinese I spent the longest time wondering why the number 4 was feared. Is there something up with the number 24 as well? Or is that just cause it had the number 4 in it? Because in my college hostel, I lived on the 24th floor (it was a condo) but it wasn't numbered "Floor 24". It was like "Floor 23A" even though 23 was below me and every other floor was numbered accordingly. The place had 26 stories and 25 and 26 were numbered properly. I never understood that.
crystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 11:29   Link #28
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Was there a floor 14 in that house? If so, it would seem that 24 must be something special, too.
Maybe like: its 6 times 4, omg omg !!!
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 15:53   Link #29
Grundit
That's Numberwang!

Send a message via MSN to Grundit
Yeah I do, because on Friday the 13th all the lights went out in my school and me and my friends where walking in the basement areas and it was pitch-black and this old teacher called Brenda thought we where doing drugs and I was scared
Grundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 04:48   Link #30
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

Last friday was an unlucky day for me because I thought it was a holiday so I took the day off of work and took some heat for it this weekend. You skip one day as a heart transplant surgeon and people act like you killed someone, geeeez. Grandpa has been living with that heart for 55 years, he can go with it for another day.
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 15:06   Link #31
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Last Friday (Friday the 13th) was very BAD BAD BAD day for me. My computer crashed down because uninstalling old software applications and installing new software applications either caused the comp to overheat which has damaged the sensitive hard drive or has corrupted the files and I forgot to defrag them. We had to reformat the hard drive. Either way, ALL data were lost and could not be saved.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 15:55   Link #32
Anime+
Banned

I am a skeptic. How can a number be unlucky? How can chain-mail kill you or leave you without any friends? ...How? ...How?

...nobody answers.

Ha, I actually believe in good luck though. Although, only because good luck is awesome, not because it actually exists.
Anime+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 16:10   Link #33
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime+ View Post
I am a skeptic. How can a number be unlucky? How can chain-mail kill you or leave you without any friends? ...How? ...How?
By crushing your karma and making the universe hate you! Therefore the universe will do bad things to you, to punish you for violating the order of the world.

Quote:
Ha, I actually believe in good luck though. Although, only because good luck is awesome, not because it actually exists.
In other words, you don't believe in good luck either, it's just more fun to play that game. You can't really believe in one without believing in the other.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 21:56   Link #34
DwArD
mAnIaC

I'm a chinese, and most chinese are afraid of the number '4'. '4' in chinese when pronounced sounds very similar to 'die' in chinese. As for Friday the 13th....I'M REALLY AFRAID OF IT! A few years ago, my friends and I were supposed to make a presentation to determine whether we get to take part in a school exhibition. Unfortunately for us, the presentation took place in a science lab and...one of my friends accidentally knocked down a bottle of....let's see...sulphuric acid over our project! Man.....we gotta take a couple of weeks to do the whole thing all over again and yep, that day happened to be Friday the 13th.
Old 2006-10-16, 22:11   Link #35
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I don't understand luck. It is illogical and yet at the same time it seems to exist: time and time again bad luck befalls certain individuals whereas good luck comes upon others. I have observed this so many times throughout my life that it is hard to believe that luck doesn't exist, but even so I can't reason how it could. Guess that is a matter of faith. I'm not afraid of any numbers or dates, though.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 22:30   Link #36
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Anything special happens in Jan 11????

Well Either way, Im not afraid of the day…but, Im afraid of Black cats….(Not the Forum poster)
Nope, thus my point It's all just another day...

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 07:29   Link #37
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Growing up in asian family, we're so full of superstitions. ^^

There is an ancestor day where the border of this world and the other side weakens. Even tho I'm not trully believe, but I stil pay respect and pray for the dead. Just in case. ^^

And then there was bad luck days/years based on fengshui theory if you were born under certain Chinese Zodiac. Last year was my bad luck year, the rooster. Indeed I went trough alot of horrible time that year.

Friday the 13th doesn't sounds that scary but I do respect it as well as Halloween.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 09:16   Link #38
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I've got to say, Friday the 13th sure has taken the bad rap from those days truely deserving of it. Even Hollywood abuses this day so, just look at the number of horror movies featuring something bad or terrible happening on the 13th. The thing is, though, the 13th is completely undeserving of this. By watching these movies one begins to realize that the truely nightmarish things don't happen on the 13th but rather the 14th, scary fun/stuff(depending on how you watch horror movies) always takes place after midnight!

I say we unite and help Friday the 13th regain it's good name... we'll worry about the others later, but for now, Viva la 13th!

As for the thread topic, there is no reason to think any day is unlucky compared to another, luck is all a matter of preception anyway. The only day one needs to fear is the day the clock rolls... That day is just scary. >.>;
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 09:28   Link #39
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

The ONLY number I MIGHT be afraid of is 666. But even that number is probably stupid anyway.
Old 2006-10-17, 12:06   Link #40
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Go read wikipedia.

Or i'll just post some here. And I don't fear friday the 13th unless i dont get my paycheck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
A Friday occurring on the 13th day of any month is considered to be a day of bad luck in English and Portuguese-speaking cultures around the globe. Similar superstitions exist in some other traditions. In Greece and Spain, for example, Tuesday the 13th takes the same role. The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia (from the Greek παρασκευοδεκατριοφοβία and alternate spellings include paraskavidekatriaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia) or friggatriskaidekaphobia, and is a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia, a phobia (fear) of the number thirteen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org

History of Friday the 13th

The first recorded incident relating to Friday the 13th refers to the massacre of the Knights Templar on Friday October 13, 1307. Forces of Philip IV of France were instructed to open letters that morning, giving them orders to seek out and arrest all known members of the Knights, slaughter those that resisted, and capture Jacques DeMolay the last known Grand Master of the Knights Templar. ("History of the Knights Templar")

Another possible origin relates to the Last Supper. Judas, the thirteenth guest, was instrumental in the Crucifixion of Jesus, which is believed to have happened on a Friday. Other theories offered suggest that Eve offered the apple to Adam on a Friday or the slaying of Able happened on a Friday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by more Wikipedia

Effects in people and cultures

"It's been estimated that [U.S] $800 or $900 million is lost in business on this day because people will not fly or do business they would normally do,"
Some people are so paralyzed in fear they are simply unable to get out of bed when Friday the 13th rolls around. The Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute estimates that more then 17 million people are affected by a fear of this day. [3]

A British Medical Journal study has shown that there is a significant increase in traffic related accidents on Friday the 13ths. Despite that representatives for both Delta and Continental Airlines say that there airlines doesnt suffer from any noticeable drop in travel on those Fridays.

The date is well-known in the motorcycle (biker) community: Since 1981, motorcycle enthusiasts and vendors gather every Friday the 13th in Port Dover, Ontario, Canada. This tradition started on November 13, 1981 by Chris Simons as a gathering of approximately 25 friends. The event has grown substantially, with an estimated 100,000 people attending in August 2004, as well as music bands, vendors, a bike show, etc.

In the Spanish-speaking world, it is Tuesday the 13th (as well as Tuesdays in general) that brings bad luck[citation needed]; a proverb runs En martes, ni te cases ni te embarques (on Tuesday, neither get married nor start a journey).
I didn't know that, hahahah ^_^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote