AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-13, 15:32   Link #641
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Finally watched ep 10. I liked it! 7/10 vote from me ... it seemed a teensy "overdramatized" to me as well, but then I have never had a kid to care for when they were sick, so I'm prolly not the best judge in the matter.
Old 2011-09-13, 16:02   Link #642
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We could hope that ep 11 is him and Rin taking care of Yukari.... but I'm not placing any bets.
Old 2011-09-13, 19:43   Link #643
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The first mild sickness was colic and some sensitivity to the first supplemental formula we tried.
We were living in Minnesota when our first was born, and he had major colic also. In his case the solution turned out to be to take long drives so he would fall asleep in the car seat, and then I would carry him in. Great in the summer, not so much by winter. Thank goodness he grew out of that. Of course then we had the middle daughter that was multiply handicapped, and understood just how fortunate we had been to have that simple a solution in retrospect (somehow long drives didn't seem to fix her heart condition)
Old 2011-09-15, 13:08   Link #644
ookamigirl

Episode 11 Final

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 15:31   Link #645
Helius

I really like how this series has portrayed Rin's growth, both physically and mentally. When she's got to the point to know how to play tricks on Daikichi, that was just adorable.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 16:25   Link #646
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Got exactly what I wanted - a low-key, understated and dignified conclusion. No complaints here.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 16:56   Link #647
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Nice ep to finish it off. But i want more! This was one of my favorites of the season.
Old 2011-09-15, 16:56   Link #648
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
This story was never over-dramatized at any point, and fortunately, they didn't decide to deviate from the source material to do so. I will admit though, part of me wishes that they would have in regards to Yukari and Dai's relationship, even if how it normally ended felt more genuine.

I can't say very many series manage to be as perfect as this one. For me, this was the show of the season, heck, show of the year. I never had to facepalm myself for anything like the chars being stupid or oblivious to the obvious at any point in the series. None of the chars felt like cardboard cut-outs, each having distinct characteristics that defined their char. EVERY single episode left me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside, and a Kool-Aid smile.

Now that this is over, despite what's been said about the manga, I'll read the rest of the story to see how it ended =03.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 16:58   Link #649
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The finale was in line with the rest of the series, therefore wonderful. 10/10. I'm just slightly disappointed we didn't get an anime original ending. I knew better than to expect one, but some small part of me still hoped for it.

I'd love to see more anime about parenting, but alas, I think we'll have to wait a long time to see another, especially one of Usagi drop's caliber. Now, if only Yotsuba& could get an anime...
Old 2011-09-15, 17:19   Link #650
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Finale and series review posted:

To thine own self be true - Production I.G. and Kamei Kanta remembered this adage well with Usagi Drop. It was genuine, understated and subtly powerful right to the end.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 18:53   Link #651
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Usagi Drop goes out with class and grace, deftly sidestepping every pitfall in the path of a "heartwarming" finale like it's a professional dancer.

I love a lot of anime. But there are few that I respect this much.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 18:56   Link #652
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"Did I give it to her?"

But sometimes, as with most events of this series, there's no point in assigning blame. It is what it is.

Rin made some hilarious faces, especially during the part where she messes with Dakachi about the jump rope and the tooth. And so it symbolizes Rin's growing up, and Dakachi realizing that finding all this time to take care of Rin is worth it.

Subtle end to subtle series. It was good consistent fun, and never let down. What a great week for concluding anime.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 18:59   Link #653
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<cries> ... really, I could have watched this for another cour I think
Old 2011-09-15, 19:28   Link #654
Kirarakim

Okay first of all I will say as an adaption I think the anime did a stellar job with the source material. The best choice was casting a real child to play Rin.

However this not the anime's fault per say (more the result of the source material) but looking back I do have some issues.

I said earlier that I wonder how the series would have been different if Daikichi has to raise a boy like Kouki instead of a girl like Rin. As much as I loved the Rin/Daikichi moments of the series. In some ways (especially in the later half) I found myself enjoying Daikichi's relationship with Kouki more.

Kouki is not perfect. He is a bit of a brat, he's immature, he doesn't listen, etc. I know a lot of poster's disliked him for some of these attributes but that is WHY I enjoyed him. He acted like a real kid.

I almost felt Rin was a little too well adjusted. She barely misbehaved, she was responsible, she was smart, she seemed to make friends easily, she even cooks breakfast in the morning. I don't know as much as I like Rin (and don't get me wrong I found Rin absolutely adorable) part of me wishes she wasn't so perfect (this was something that hit me more in the later half of the series).

Anyways I liked how the series concluded with a life goes on ending (which works well for slice of life shows). Rin losing her baby teeth was a lovely representation to show how much she has grown (but not just in a physical sense, in a mental sense as well). That aspect I really enjoyed about the series.

I also loved seeing how Daikichi's bachelor life style had to change when taking in Rin. I think the series did a very good job at exploring this.

My favorite episodes were (I forget episode numbers:

* When Rin is at the nighttime daycare and Daikichi comes to pick her up late because of his work hours. In the end deciding to get a demotion to spend more time with Rin

* When Rin visits Daikichi's parents house and bonds with Daikichi's family

* When Kouki and Kouki's mom come over to eat dinner at Rin and Daikichi's house.

edit: I also loved loved the ending sequence: how it would change with each episode was really adorable. It was probably my favorite of the year so far.
Old 2011-09-15, 20:37   Link #655
bumbayker

I wonder if they'll animate the Bangaihen which started in June. It's about Daikichi and Rin before the time skip.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 22:07   Link #656
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That was a nice ending to a nice, short series. One thing that really stood out for me in a good way was a light touch of BGM and animation flourishes during the last few minutes of the final episode. Nothing over-the-top, but still something striking enough to effectively tie the series up and leave off on a strong note.

I've already wrote a lot on my opinion of the Usagi Drop anime as a whole, and Episode 11 lives up to what I have wrote there, so there's really no need to edit it or restate most of what I've already wrote there.

I will say, though, that I'm slightly disappointed that Yukari didn't end up with Daikichi romantically, but I guess this might be a basic case of source material constraints affecting the anime.

On the whole, a good heartwarming ending, and an interesting and often compelling commentary on parenting from a wide array of perspectives. Perhaps it's for the best that such social commentary was a major, but subtle, focal point in this finale.
Old 2011-09-15, 22:59   Link #657
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well that was a lovely series all around, it reminded me of little things from my childhood (like when I lost my first tooth, I did it a lot more dramatically than Rin did XD) and I liked the quiet moments between Daikichi and the other younger adults in the series where they're just trying to figure out life. Exactly the kind of show I want to see on noitaminA and plan on checking out the manga soon!
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 23:11   Link #658
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

This ended wonderfully, with Rin surrounded by family and happy. The pacing seemed kind of quick in the beginning, and slipped in some bits from the parents in the park a bit oddly with the visit to Daikichi's parents' house, but what a warm episode.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 23:30   Link #659
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for last episode and final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2011-09-17 at 00:03. Reason: Just in case...
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 00:20   Link #660
DJ.Ozura

Awesome ending to a great show, it was so good that i decided to read the manga to see what happens after the anime.
Let me tell you this DONT DO IT.
DJ.Ozura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance