AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2017-01-29, 12:40   Link #21
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Considering how Delta ended, i.e. with the war against Windermere more or less unresolved, I'd actually like to see them continue the story from that point and give that conflict a proper resolution.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2017-01-29, 13:29   Link #22
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
Hmmm that doesn't really answer my question though. I feel like when people bring up the whole two cour expansion situation, it's often with the belief that the initial 13 episodes was perfect by themselves, and everything that came after it muddied it.

Regardless of whether You liked what came out as Macross Delta, my question ends up being...do you (or anyone else who keeps bringing this point up) honestly think the show would have been better with 13 episodes and a movie? Because given the kind of cast and scope they were introducing, it looked more like 26 episodes wasn't enough and by episode 13 the series hadn't really touched on anything to really bring about a satisfactory end.

I also think saying "last minute" is kind of misleading. They managed to deliver double the amount of episodes since they knew of the change, so they clearly had some time to adapt. If they had a movie in mind, there was clearly content they were working up to so it's not like they were looking to pull it out of their asses the night before release...unless the movie was going to be a retelling in which....why do it for a 13 episode show...?
Let me explaiin my point. The thing is not that the second half of the sweries would have been better as movie. The point is that it still looked like the movie amount of material with added eps that do nothing for the plot. It really looked like they made a script for 2 hours or so movie and decided to stretsh it to 13 eps, but insted of filling the gaps or giving it better ending scriptwriters just filled the additional time in hurry.

I still found it fine but thisc looks quite fitting considering second halfs general slower pace but fast-paced solution.
Old 2017-01-29, 13:42   Link #23
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Except the second part added nothing to a huge cast, nothing was accomplished and the one resolution we got was never a contest to start with.
On another forum someone wrote that some people forgave the poor characterization and lack of substance in the first 13 episodes because they assumed it was a build up to something big. I know I felt this way. A movie would not have made up for the lack of focus on characters, or that the protags were flawless/had plot armor and could do no wrong. Delta was a mess. It had some enjoyable moments, but it felt to me that by the end nobody on staff knew wtf they were doing.
Either that or the message was that being a complete idiot is fine as long as you have a pure heart, that'll save you, somehow. And that it's a-okay to invade and mindcontrol other nations and murder millions, comitting war crimes etc. Because you won't have to face charges if you align yourself with the good guys at the last moment.
Nevermind wind started the war over how they were butthurt that they couldn't sell foldquartz, a material a crazy transhuman scientist used to blow up an entire planet.
I hope I'll be over this show in 10 years.
Old 2017-01-29, 13:46   Link #24
Darthtabby

I'm hoping this will be good, but at this point I'm not getting my hopes up too much. Macross Delta was one of the most disappointing series of 2016 for me.

I wonder who they're going to get as a writer this time. Okada?
Old 2017-01-29, 13:54   Link #25
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I wonder who they're going to get as a writer this time. Okada?
Oh dear lord no! Anything but that! She already did AKB0048 with Kawamori and it was more than enough
Old 2017-01-29, 14:08   Link #26
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Considering how Delta ended, i.e. with the war against Windermere more or less unresolved, I'd actually like to see them continue the story from that point and give that conflict a proper resolution.
They better have a new antagonist, because the Windermere just wouldn't do, not on a remotely realistic level, unless they landed on some wonder-tech out of sheer luck (again).

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2017-01-29, 14:28   Link #27
KongaKonga

urrm space war 2 anyone?..something like ww2 ...Continuation of Delta or not Lady m will play major part in this(most likely become main antagonist)
Old 2017-01-29, 14:49   Link #28
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Oh dear lord no! Anything but that! She already did AKB0048 with Kawamori and it was more than enough
She also did Aquarion Evol, which had its share of issues (I joked about Amata having "main character pheremones" since the show didn't really explain why Zessica was interested in him) but was at least more watchable than Aquarion Logos.
Old 2017-01-29, 15:06   Link #29
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Hmmmmm... Maybe Delta was actually more successful than a lot of us thought? Or am I reading this the wrong way?

Old 2017-01-29, 15:25   Link #30
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Hmmmmm... Maybe Delta was actually more successful than a lot of us thought? Or am I reading this the wrong way?
Delta wasn't unsuccessful, but certainly not as successful as Frontier.

The albums are very successful (by anime standards), making to the top of charts consistently.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2017-01-29, 16:16   Link #31
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

More new Macross so soon!?!

My poor, poor wallet.
Old 2017-01-29, 17:51   Link #32
HirouKeimou

In my mind, Kawamori is finally realizing how his Macross franchise is one of the only mecha franchises still running and is finally deciding to challenge Gundam.

Of course, I'm talking about releases and not plot-based material here. Each Macross has always had a long... long wait for a new series while Gundam literally punches out a new series within 1-2 years. Not encouraging Macross into this (hell, I'd dread it); however, I believe Kawamori also admitted (inwardly) that because of Logos, Aquarion is a dead horse at this point, and placing all his eggs in one basket with Macross (his oldest franchise) and reshaping it after the falling of Delta (regardless if its ending half is intentional or not) is kind of important. If he could reshape Macross as a franchise, he could reignite the franchise like Frontier did. And because of their close release dates (Delta could have been the 35th anniversary project), it's also solidifying how I believe he's actively challenging Gundam here for a spot in the "mecha franchise" after its 8-year decline from Frontier...

Regardless if this idea is foolish, it can only bring about hope the new Macross will feature mecha action sequences more than Delta did. For all the free flying action sequences in a real sky featured in Delta, it is the bottom of the barrel for over-the-top fight scenes (even by Plus standards). I mean, it says something when I remember the coolest scene from Delta (action-wise) is the elimination of the corrupt NUNS guy and his entire fleet to a dimensional bomb (maybe because it's the first real time it's really shown how this little thing explodes outside of segments shown in Frontier).

Even so, one thing I am curious about is how they're going to grab a singer? I mean, they didn't announce an audition for one, right? Unless... will they be doing a sequel for once?

This is all speculation on my part but I'd love for a sequel for Frontier. Been kind of on the bandwagon of hoping for a sequel to Frontier which could focus on their lives in a new conflict (since Galaxy is still around in the TV series) or even focus on the side characters moving onto new idols. I don't know, it's a thought though.

And in regards to Delta's success, comparing it to Frontier does no justice, it did sell; however, it's not as good as Frontier. However, and I'll say it again, Frontier sold more for Sheryl Nome in its merchandise or Blu-rays than anything else. Delta is equally selling its merchandise while it's Blu-rays are maintaining average sales (nothing will beat Yuri On Ice this year) and it's albums are maxing out charts every couple of weeks. It's not popular or successful overseas, but it is enough in Japan. And that's literally all Kawamori cares about here so I'm all for the guy deciding it's time to do a new project.
Old 2017-01-29, 18:05   Link #33
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You are definitely reading it the wrong way. If Delta is successful they would have announced a Delta film or small OVA to go with the anniversary announcement.

The fact is they were never going to abandon Macross as a franchise, no matter how badly Delta was received. But it is telling that any further animation projects involving Delta is now dead, now that they have announce the next show to replace it.

The rights holders are clearly uncomfortable with Delta and isn't willing to let it be the most recent representative of the franchise for 5+ years. Remember that every other Macross TV series had much larger gaps in between. They might even felt that the Delta toys and merchandise would have a lack of long term prospects, and needed them replaced early.

Quote:
Even so, one thing I am curious about is how they're going to grab a singer? I mean, they didn't announce an audition for one, right? Unless... will they be doing a sequel for once?
They could simply decide that the new show's idol would be voiced by a veteran instead of a no-name.
Old 2017-01-29, 18:19   Link #34
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
They could simply decide that the new show's idol would be voiced by a veteran instead of a no-name.
A good idea; however, it's not how Macross normally goes.
It's been known for holding auditions for new singers.

It'd be new if Macross hires a veteran but it'd also be a question of if said singer could be a VA to the character or if not if the new VA could match the singer, which is harder than I believe people realize...

Regardless, it'd be interesting so I'll be fine with it because, after all, I love Macross for its music.

On a side note: Based on Kanno's end in Frontier, is it not possible she'll do work for this project?
Old 2017-01-29, 19:47   Link #35
ReddyRedWolf

I have a feeling this and Delta may have been planned at the same time. Similar to Macross Plus and Macross 7 being produced at the same time.

Originally Macross Plus as a concept had nothing to do with the Macross franchise. Big West convinced Kawamori to contribute story and mecha to what would become Macross 7. So Kawamori made a deal. You let me do my Top Gun with mecha I'll contribute to your 52 episode show a story and the mecha I wanted to use for Escaflowne.

Kawamori's original idea for Macross Delta, racing VFs powered by idol songs got canned by sponsors. Maybe we'll get that here in some form.
Old 2017-01-29, 20:00   Link #36
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Originally Macross Plus as a concept had nothing to do with the Macross franchise. Big West convinced Kawamori to contribute story and mecha to what would become Macross 7. So Kawamori made a deal. You let me do my Top Gun with mecha I'll contribute to your 52 episode show a story and the mecha I wanted to use for Escaflowne.
While I agree on the idea of both planned at once (Delta and this new project), I really don't think this is similar to Plus and 7.

Because Plus first and foremost is an OVA series adapted into a movie later on and 7 is a TV series which received a couple of OVA and if I recall one dinky movie. In other words, by how much content is involved, the possibility both were planned from the beginning is ultimately possible without problems or relation to other parties involved.

Delta and this newly announced series, on the other hand, it is possible this is the reason for the 8-year time gap. They planned for two different stories, told one via Delta, and if Delta fell, their backup plan is the other story in this new series. There is little chance it's about sponsors or publishers or anyone else involved in the development/showing of anime in Japan. This is planned enough ahead of time by all involved for there to be a majorly small deadline if you go by how long a Macross series or mecha series (in general) takes to do.

And for all it's downfalls, Delta is a Macross series in the franchise. All the lore, action, singing, and otherwise is in Delta; meanwhile, 7 had holes in this area occasionally (filler episodes?).
There is nothing in Delta telling me this is all because of wanting to please any higher ups.
The new singing+action sequences in the first episode?: Trying something new in an older franchise in order to attract newcomers. The new style of plot which is not character-based and is about war itself?: Trying something brand new for a majority of mecha anime and focusing on the philosophical side of war (right vs. wrong) wherein normal mecha is all about fighting to convey said situations. The musical choice?: Attribute it to all mentioned above.

In no way does Delta ruin the formula in terms of its overall quality; it's execution fails but that's a writer issue. The rest is Macross 100%.
Old 2017-01-29, 20:59   Link #37
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
Plus first and foremost is an OVA series adapted into a movie
Actually its the other way around.

It was written as a movie, but turned into an OVA, then later repackaged back into a movie with the intended length for a feature film.

Moreover, as pointed out by Red, originally Macross Plus as a concept had nothing to do with the Macross franchise. Hell, it was supposed to be about World War 3, centering around two pilots dueling against each other in midst of the war.

- Tak

Old 2017-01-29, 21:24   Link #38
D-Joe

I rather hope they try a new Macross complete without Kawamori if they want to make it like Gundam.
Sure it will be a risky move and they failed once(Macross 2), but i think they should try it again.
Old 2017-01-29, 21:29   Link #39
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Joe View Post
I rather hope they try a new Macross complete without Kawamori if they want to make it like Gundam.
Sure it will be a risky move and they failed once(Macross 2), but i think they should try it again.
Kawamori, like Tomino, are subject to excessive creative meddling from their respective corporate masters. Its not always Kawamori's fault.

- Tak

Old 2017-01-29, 21:30   Link #40
John117xCortana

Is it so hard to ask for Ranka, Sheryl and Alto to come back?
Closed Thread