AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-08, 04:08   Link #21
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I think when he said it wasn't H, he was referring to the bouncing breasts and upskirts that characterize H anime. Mezzo Forte didn't have any of that. What it did have was 2 or 3 extremely graphic XXX sex scenes added gratuitiously to an otherwise un-sexy OVA. That's what he meant by "Adult."

Anyway, I haven't seen Mezzo DSA yet, but I gather that it isn't ecchi at all?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 04:42   Link #22
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Mezzo DSA discussion.

So another new series emerges and I just got finished watching the first episode. Well the animation is good, some of the character designs are a little weird though. The action sequences were pretty good definitly the highlight of the episode was all the action scenes. The story, well is hard to judge since it is only the first episode but it didn't really draw me in with this episode and it looks like the characters are going to be doing a case by case deal each episode like ghost in the shell sac. Which I'm not a big fan of, that being the reason I got bored with GITS SAC because their were no arcs.

I guess the manga readers could chime in and tell us if the series gets good further down the road, if their even is a manga of it .

Well anyways I'll give it another go since the action scenes were so entertaining to watch. Hopefully the story will be able to match the action.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 04:52   Link #23
darkwave
Manual Mode

Im guessing you havent sampled Mezzo Forte OAV. If you havent, I suggest you take a look at it to get a better feeling of the TV series.

It might suprise you a bit though. hehe...
darkwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 04:54   Link #24
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

mezzo tv

Considering that this is the third thread created on the subject today, I think people are having trouble with the concept of search.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-01-08, 04:58   Link #25
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Just to clarify I made another thread of this because not many people actually venture into the fansub groups sections of this forum. If you want to close my thread fine but at least put this in the fansubs section where more people will get a look at it.

EDIT- thanks and maybe you could just merge my thread with this one.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 05:03   Link #26
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Anyway, just saw episode 1, and I have to say: best animation I've seen in a TV episode for at least a year.
It's better than the OVA even.
Indeed! The animation is very good IMO. Hopefully it remains through out the episodes.

From the looks and feel of it, Im guessing they'll add some echii scenes later on. Maybe its just me...
Old 2004-01-08, 05:44   Link #27
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I think when he said it wasn't H, he was referring to the bouncing breasts and upskirts that characterize H anime. Mezzo Forte didn't have any of that. What it did have was 2 or 3 extremely graphic XXX sex scenes added gratuitiously to an otherwise un-sexy OVA. That's what he meant by "Adult."

Anyway, I haven't seen Mezzo DSA yet, but I gather that it isn't ecchi at all?
Maybe a little ecchi. (See the OP, for example...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave
Indeed! The animation is very good IMO. Hopefully it remains through out the episodes.

From the looks and feel of it, Im guessing they'll add some echii scenes later on. Maybe its just me...

There might be some fanservice scenes later on. But nothing like the scenes the OVA had.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 08:03   Link #28
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Maybe a little ecchi. (See the OP, for example...)
Heh, I noticed that, had to pause it a few times. Looking forward for ep2.
Old 2004-01-08, 14:40   Link #29
FlyByNite

Umm isn't this the same situation Gunslinger Girl is in and that's listed on animsuki.

Gunslinger Girl's production company stated they are being co-funded by an American company.

My question is this, how do we know that the company co-funding the production is actually the american licensor but rather someone who plans to sell a license for American TV once the show is done? In which case they're not much different then any Japanese company who hopes to sell a license to the American Market in the future.

See. Isn't spin nice?
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 15:12   Link #30
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

If you look at it that way, why pretend you have "fansubbing ethics" to begin with?

Quote:
They [Media Blasters] no longer have the Mezzo Forte TV series. Another company now has it.
Source: AoD Otakon 2003 Report

It's already been licensed. End of story.

I personally am a bit conflicted as I would like to see a few episodes of this show fansubbed, but probably that means my only option for that would be AnimeJunkies. Emphasis on the JUNK.

The mystery company will probably be revealed early in the con season, maybe at Katsucon.
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 15:16   Link #31
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Umm isn't this the same situation Gunslinger Girl is in and that's listed on animsuki.

Gunslinger Girl's production company stated they are being co-funded by an American company.

My question is this, how do we know that the company co-funding the production is actually the american licensor but rather someone who plans to sell a license for American TV once the show is done? In which case they're not much different then any Japanese company who hopes to sell a license to the American Market in the future.

See. Isn't spin nice?
To my knowledge, every single series that has been co-funded by a US company has been licensed by that company. (Seriously, who would be stupid enough to throw money into a series when you arent going to get back the money in that region) (And production I.G. does not count because they may have offices but they do not make R1 dvd's). It is very clearly licensed. They clearly stated that they had licensed it at a previous convention originally before stating that they had to sell it at Otakon. With GSG, we just know there are co-funders from North america. It may be production I.G. in which case it would not be a license. (However, it is likely NOT production IG co-funding...)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 15:27   Link #32
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
To my knowledge, every single series that has been co-funded by a US company has been licensed by that company. (Seriously, who would be stupid enough to throw money into a series when you arent going to get back the money in that region) (And production I.G. does not count because they may have offices but they do not make R1 dvd's). It is very clearly licensed. They clearly stated that they had licensed it at a previous convention originally before stating that they had to sell it at Otakon. With GSG, we just know there are co-funders from North america. It may be production I.G. in which case it would not be a license. (However, it is likely NOT production IG co-funding...)
ADV is putting out the Gunslinger Girls manga are they not? If I had to put money down on who it was, I'd say it's them. On the other hand, I find it a bit odd that they took no credit. In the Japanese credit sequences to Kino no Tabi, there are numerous references to ADV, for example.

Again, maybe they feel the need to hold out until con season to maximize the buzz.
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 15:55   Link #33
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

well that was a weird sub.. very hard to follow, had to pause it a few times
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 16:37   Link #34
animefreak
???

so does the series have any connection to the OVA?
animefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 18:04   Link #35
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by animefreak
so does the series have any connection to the OVA?
Well, it takes place after the OVA I guess. The 3 main characters are exactly the same. I think they just go on self-contained adventures/cases each episode. Like GITS:SAC and Cowboy Bebop.
Old 2004-01-12, 13:32   Link #36
Tboz

If being co-funded implies that it has been licensed, why does animesuki still list Mezzo DSA and Gunslinger girls?

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/312.html
http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/268.html
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-12, 16:36   Link #37
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Because being being co-funded doesn't mean that they are licensed for sure. We don't read minds here, not do we try to guess at licenses. It is possible that it isn't licensed, so until we get some real information it stays.

Old 2004-01-12, 18:54   Link #38
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Because being being co-funded doesn't mean that they are licensed for sure. We don't read minds here, not do we try to guess at licenses. It is possible that it isn't licensed, so until we get some real information it stays.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I agree 100%.
Old 2004-01-12, 19:23   Link #39
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Do I need to watch the OVA to understand the TV series?
Old 2004-01-12, 20:55   Link #40
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
Do I need to watch the OVA to understand the TV series?
I recommened watching it, so you'll be able to get a better understanding of the TV series.

There's two version of it on R1 dvd:
Mezzo Forte cut version dvd (Removed sex scenes)
Mezzo Forte uncut dvd

I would recommend either of those, since the sex scenes are simply a bonus IMO, and its not really needed to be able to enjoy the OAV/Movie.

Tags
action