AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2017-01-18, 19:27   Link #221
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
One thing that will really work to the Switch's advantage is the fact that now Nintendo doesn't have to split development between two platforms. Now it is one machine to get all their greatest efforts, from Mario and Zelda to Metroid, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, and Pokemon.
Other than the whole "we promise this isn't replacing the 3DS" thing, right?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-18, 19:34   Link #222
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
The 3DS is still six years old, so unless they have something in the works that is a dedicated handheld (and what would be the point in having the Switch try its hand at being both if there were?), handheld titles are going to have to find greener pastures somewhere at some point. And Game Freak at the very least has expressed that they'll be looking at the Switch, putting aside the Pokemon Stars rumor that suggests they may already have been.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-18, 19:41   Link #223
GDB

Obviously the Switch is going to get attention, but I was making a jab at Nintendo insisting that the Switch won't replace the 3DS.

At the very least, they have to continue splitting attention for the next couple of years so as to not be too obvious about it.
Old 2017-01-18, 19:48   Link #224
Akashin

Quote:
Obviously the Switch is going to get attention, but I was making a jab at Nintendo insisting that the Switch won't replace the 3DS.

At the very least, they have to continue splitting attention for the next couple of years so as to not be too obvious about it.
Of course. Didn't they say it wouldn't be a replacement for the Wii-U either, at one point?
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-18, 19:51   Link #225
GDB

When they first announced that they were working on it but no actual information was available, yes. But everyone knew that part was BS. Now they're giving the same line of BS that they gave when the DS came out about the GBA. It's obvious BS, but they at least need to pretend it isn't for a year or two so as to not be called liars.
Old 2017-01-18, 19:54   Link #226
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
One thing that will really work to the Switch's advantage is the fact that now Nintendo doesn't have to split development between two platforms. Now it is one machine to get all their greatest efforts, from Mario and Zelda to Metroid, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, and Pokemon.
They've long since merged their console and handheld divisions well before the Switch was a thing, dude.
Old 2017-01-18, 20:07   Link #227
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
They said the same thing about the Game Boy when the original DS came out.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-18, 20:11   Link #228
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Playing a handheld without 2-screens? Blasphemy. I don't know if it will be a 4DS or 5DS, but I hope they announce the 3DS's successor in a year or so. From the looks of it, there will be a few more big titles this year, so the 3DS will at least last for that long.

That said, it's interesting to know there is a home console Fire Emblem coming out eventually, but there isn't any information or even set release date, so there isn't anything to judge it on.
Musou is yuck. Mobile game is irrelevant.
So the only thing to really look forward to is the Gaiden remake. I had quite the fun playing the VC version, using those Ninjas and broken items. The artist finally switched too. I like the touch in this art style, but I still fear that someone insane at Intelligent Systems will somehow turn it into a galge too, but...
PS: Oh, but Koyasu was funny as a narrator
PSS: And for the Platinum Points, I'll just vote Ephraim, though probably "Shadow Dragon or Awakening series" will be the winner. No hopes there. Looking forward to the same thing in Musou, just so I can be cynical about it

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2017-01-18 at 20:23.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-18, 20:12   Link #229
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
When they first announced that they were working on it but no actual information was available, yes. But everyone knew that part was BS. Now they're giving the same line of BS that they gave when the DS came out about the GBA. It's obvious BS, but they at least need to pretend it isn't for a year or two so as to not be called liars.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo kept at least the 2DS around to sell as a gateway drug. I mean, that thing has to cost next to nothing to make nowadays right?
Old 2017-01-18, 20:31   Link #230
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
They've long since merged their console and handheld divisions well before the Switch was a thing, dude.

Yeah...but they still split development between two different platforms, with the handheld being much weaker. So it was still 1st party efforts spread between two machines. Now Nintendo can make games for one machine. The Switch will get main entries in the Pokemon franchise as well as games like big budget entries for Zelda and Metroid.

And third parties supported 3DS more than Wii U. Now 3rd parties don't have to choose from two Nintendo machines to support.
Old 2017-01-18, 21:14   Link #231
Shadow5YA

Quote:
They're not going to replace the 3DS (yet) because unlike the Wii U or the Switch, the 3DS actually has an install base beyond hardcore Nintendo fans. Abandoning that install base immediately just to support a console with an uncertain future is not the smartest thing to do.

The DS had backwards compatibility with the GBA, so it was easy for the DS to bring over a large majority of the GBA's install base and grow from there. This does not apply between the Switch and the 3DS.

Quote:
And third parties supported 3DS more than Wii U. Now 3rd parties don't have to choose from two Nintendo machines to support.
Most of them aren't abandoning the 3DS either. Atlus' 25th anniversary Shin Megami Tensei is also for the 3DS. Koei Tecmo is also making the Fire Emblem Warriors game for the N3DS. The only reason they're making games for the Switch is because Nintendo paid them to.

I don't know why you're thinking as if Switch support is guaranteed. The Wii U's third party sure wasn't.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-18, 21:27   Link #232
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Oh crap, I forgot about Katarina. I need to vote for best yandere in the series...

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2017-01-18, 22:08   Link #233
Shadow5YA

And whose bright idea was it to make online services tied to smartphones? Do they really not have any clue why this is a bad idea?
Old 2017-01-19, 02:29   Link #234
Chase

Nintendo and their 3rd world online infrastructure.smh
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-19, 02:52   Link #235
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
And whose bright idea was it to make online services tied to smartphones? Do they really not have any clue why this is a bad idea?
If Mario Kart is coming out before the app, then I doubt you need the app to go online completely and that the app is used for friend matching or voice+ matching. Or at least that is what I assume and hope. I'll hope for the best and see.

Old 2017-01-19, 07:52   Link #236
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
We will see in March and how they handle the launch titles with multiplayer in them. I can see using a smartphone app for voice chat to be pretty convenient if you're not at home and are in a public area. Since it's not coming out until Summer, I don't think it will be an essential piece of software to invite friends and whatnot. And I also like the idea of using a bluetooth device to chat as well whether that could be a regular bluetooth headset or even a bluetooth speaker with a speakerphone.

Last edited by blakstealth; 2017-01-19 at 08:29.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-19, 18:50   Link #237
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
We will see in March and how they handle the launch titles with multiplayer in them. I can see using a smartphone app for voice chat to be pretty convenient if you're not at home and are in a public area. Since it's not coming out until Summer, I don't think it will be an essential piece of software to invite friends and whatnot. And I also like the idea of using a bluetooth device to chat as well whether that could be a regular bluetooth headset or even a bluetooth speaker with a speakerphone.
The fact that you need a third party peripheral for what should have been part of the console in the first place is incredibly awkward. It does not matter whether you're not home or not. These apps should have been a part of the Switch itself.

In what world does it make sense that you need an entirely separate device for lobbies with friends and voice chatting? If I need my phone to chat with people I am playing with, what is the point of an app when a smartphone already does that to begin with? And keep in mind that when you are playing a game online, you are not going to be able to hold your phone to your ear at the same time. So that will require another entirely separate peripheral, like a Bluetooth set to connect with your phone... to connect with the Switch.

Remember when core gamers were entirely turned off from the Xbox One because of the mandatory Kinect features and such? This half-assed idea along with the embarrassing press conference is going to generate just as much ill will with core gamers.
Old 2017-01-20, 00:42   Link #238
Galaxian

Quote:
Oh neat, so another Fire Emblem beyond just Warriors is being made for the Switch. 2018.
I'm surprise Nintendo isn't saying that is within the Switch's "launch window"
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-20, 00:43   Link #239
Sides

^ but most people, I know, are using discord on their tablets or phone these days, when playing on consoles. This has been a trend going on for some time.
But you are right, lobby and matchmaking on a seperate device does sound awkward. However Reggie did said, in edited interview, that his answer was specific to the interviewer's questions about smartphones. So I will wait and see what the real deal is, before jumping the gun.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-21, 00:40   Link #240
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
^ but most people, I know, are using discord on their tablets or phone these days, when playing on consoles. This has been a trend going on for some time.
No... that's absolutely false. Where are you getting your information from?

Discord is the most prevalent voice/chat client for gamers, yes, but they don't actually use it during the game when they're playing. Think for a second... how are you going to use your phone while you are holding the Switch or a controller in both of your hands?

Sandwich it between your shoulder and face? That's incredibly awkward.
Use the speaker? That's also awkward, because a speaker will also pick up the game audio as well as any surrounding audio in the background.
Use a Bluetooth device? In that case... why use a phone instead of connecting the Bluetooth device directly to the Switch?