AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-08, 12:25   Link #221
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Wow, I'm not sure about how I feel about this except that that was the most colorful thing I've seen in a while. And the amount of detail in their home, good lord, I don't want to even think about how much time it took to design all of those props and that, erm, transformation I suppose sequence must've taken a fair bit of work as well.
Old 2011-07-08, 13:51   Link #222
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
transformation I suppose sequence must've taken a fair bit of work as well.
& i give it three weeks before people start complaining that they're sick of seeing the same scene.

Any avatars and sigs planned to be made from the first episode?

Last edited by Shiroth; 2011-07-08 at 14:03.
Old 2011-07-08, 14:28   Link #223
Yusei Fudo
Banned

Let me just say this is the most best thing ever in my entire life, because I love watching Penguins get owned badly (Yes, I am evil)

Old 2011-07-08, 16:01   Link #224
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Old 2011-07-08, 16:43   Link #225
Forsaken_Infinity

Wow that kinda just blew me away ._.

But let's hope it doesn't disappoint me now that I am even more hyped.
Old 2011-07-08, 18:21   Link #226
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
& i give it three weeks before people start complaining that they're sick of seeing the same scene.

Any avatars and sigs planned to be made from the first episode?
Hahaha this. Same thing what happened with Star Driver.

I thought this was okay. Episode was sweet and all, but what the hell did I watch? Conclusion: All hail penguins..
Old 2011-07-08, 18:52   Link #227
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Such a good first episode! The colors were incredibly vibrant and brought such life to the episode. The music was incredibly well done and fit well with each scene. It had an excellent balance of drama and humor interspersed throughout the episode which kept an otherwise dull introductory episode interesting. And that transformation scene...

As an aside, the two kids talking about life and death was especially funny to me. Precocious much?

Coupled with that I am particularly interested in the tidbits of symbolism/foreshadowing in this episode (kid pontificating on what comes after death, red string of fate microphone cord). If I get another symbolism masterpiece like Utena to analyze then I couldn't be happier.

Old 2011-07-08, 18:58   Link #228
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Oh my God, what did I just watch and when can I get more of it?!

That may be the greatest first episode I have ever seen. I had no exposure to this show ahead of time, and was just going through the motions of checking the new season. As soon as the OP hit, I sat forward in my chair. It was like I'd just opened the farmhouse door to Munchkinland, and everything was suddenly in technicolor. I was not disappointed.

This show is giving me flashbacks of drugs I have never taken. MOAR.
Old 2011-07-08, 19:00   Link #229
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
My body wasn't ready for so much FABULOUS at the end of the episode

Though why do I get the feeling that we'll look back at this episode and think "well,compared to the other episodes,this one wasn't that wacky"?
I think this might just be the tip of the iceberg,we're in for a wild ride.
Old 2011-07-08, 19:23   Link #230
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Watch it. Loved it... until the very last scene. I knew it was coming, people had predicted this show would have its fair share of incest but I had a faint hope it wouldn't be throw at us in the very first episode. My bad, I'd been too optimistic.
Now, I enjoyed the hell out of (close to) every second of this 1st episode, thanks notably to the many Utena references here and there, so I'll keep watching it. But I'd find it a shame if such potential greatness was wasted because it focus only on the story of a guy who "Oh my Gawd! You're so mean, you made me fall in love with my own sister!" =3=''.

It seemed from the CMs that the three of them were fighting against some kind of fate. Hope to be introduced with Himari's and Shouma's issues rapidly.

Also, those penguins. So cute.

Last edited by Nina.Wolken; 2011-07-08 at 19:59.
Old 2011-07-08, 19:24   Link #231
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I won't watch this.

DO NOT WANT!
Old 2011-07-08, 19:28   Link #232
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura89 View Post
I'd love too see a picture of him dressing as Sailor Mars
So would we all . Too bad it seems that no pictures have ever made it to the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Wow, this is the second time I see the episode, and I already find myself falling in love with the episode again. Every bit of it was unique, the transitions between each scene were unusual, but it never felt like it was out of place. Everything came together as one.
I particularly like the eyecatch where it seems that we've progressed to the next stop. It's so intuitive and effective I'm not sure why nobody has done it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I remember everyone who had appeared, thanks not only to the cleaver directing (the scene where Sho was going back home and got assaulted by the faceless classmate was a fine example of how to highlight an important future character) to the script (boy, an honest to god mystery author is working here ... this is going to be tricky) and the visuals (Hishino Lily's designs are simply fantastic).
I love that scene with the friend. We get introduced to another character, we learn quite a bit about her, and all of this in a 15-second sequence where she barely says a word. Instead, it's all told through clever direction, blocking and shot composition.

In a lot of other shows, the background characters are given cursory body shapes and blobs of color to flesh out crowd scenes, but here Ikuhara decided that there was no need to draw them as real people at all! Making them all look like figures on street signs just works all the better. I also really love the way that hands are animated - they're just so expressive and thematically resonant. This episode alone puts to rest any doubts that Utena was as good as it was because of Ikuhara himself. Sure the rest of the staff was great on that show, but it's pretty obvious who the driving force was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
I thought this was okay. Episode was sweet and all, but what the hell did I watch? Conclusion: All hail penguins..
What amuses me is that most Utena fans already expected the story to be weird and incomprehensible. I won't be surprised if we can't figure out what it's about until the halfway mark. Then again, I can't think of an Ikuhara work where the plot was all that important either.
Old 2011-07-08, 19:41   Link #233
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Also, those penguins. So cute.
I think my favorite part of the episode is Kanba's line "I told it to bring you an umbrella". I don't know why, but that totally cracked me up. I just love the idea that we're never shown the brief hours between the mystery delivery, and Kanba and Himari reaching that level of nonchalance about the selectively invisible, magical helper-penguins. It slays me how they're just totally cool with it.
Old 2011-07-08, 20:01   Link #234
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

What... the... hell...

and I thought Shaft is the most mindfucked animators in the world. Ikuhara was the original mind-fuck business-man. This was very, very good first episode, this fits exactly into my taste.
Old 2011-07-08, 20:21   Link #235
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I just love the idea that we're never shown the brief hours between the mystery delivery, and Kanba and Himari reaching that level of nonchalance about the selectively invisible, magical helper-penguins. It slays me how they're just totally cool with it.
From people who accepted in the blink of an eye that one of them could come back from the dead while wearing a speaking hat, it isn't all that surprising .
Seems like those two have their suspension of disbelief turn on permanently while Shou' remains a bit more attached to the real world... for now.
Old 2011-07-08, 21:30   Link #236
Zippicus

I'll just climb up on the "what the hell did I just watch?!?" bandwagon with everyone else. It was a bit stranger than I expected it to be, I figured they would give us an episode or two of normalcy before they tossed us into bizarro land.
Old 2011-07-08, 23:35   Link #237
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Crazily weird episode. Very stylish and the staircase walk near the end screamed "FABULOUS". I love penguins so this is a must watch. The whole episode had an air of melancholy though but . . . it's a really weird mesh. I'm just really excited for this.
Old 2011-07-08, 23:36   Link #238
Yuutsu

My body is ready! If you know what I mean? : 3
Old 2011-07-08, 23:39   Link #239
karuroso

The ep was ok until... the incest D= why? with one short single scene it droped all the expectations I had for this series =/
Old 2011-07-09, 00:02   Link #240
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Holy crap so many colors and FABULOUS in the first episode. It was literally a "I don't know what the FUCK is going on" episode. So a magical penguin hat saves Himari from death, and orders Red and Blue to find the Penguindrum. And they also get 3 penguin pets too that only they can see. And dat transformation sequence. And dat incest at the ending.

I'm not sure what to think just yet of this series, but I'll definitely follow it a couple more episodes.

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism