AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 17 Rating
Perfect 10 5 21.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 21.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 34.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 8.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 4.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-03-15, 22:47   Link #381
Chosen_Hero

Just saying but if Styil can hold his own against John Penn mode then Mikoto who has fought infinitely stronger opponents and lived has nothing to worry about.
Old 2017-03-16, 03:05   Link #382
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiharaRonin View Post
Yep. Not even Touma could negate the Dragon's Breath but Misaka can. She can also deal with the Red Wings and John's Pen's ability to summon Norse Mythological weapons. John's Pen can also access the Grimoires and their magic. Misaka can't be killed by any of that though. Let's hope #3 can take on immense magic power which was so powerful it was locked away and can even turn it's user into a Magic God. Wait didn't Misaka have a hard time against a Magic God. Oh well, she's learned since then and would definitely survive a fight with John's Pen. Touma barely survived and got amnesia from the attack but Supergirl Misaka is a different story.

I'm pretty sure Accelerator is the only Level 5 who could even think about fighting John's Pen.
Yes, yes. Let's take two different situations and mash 'em up together to make an argument, yeah?

Firstly, of course Touma wasn't going to defeat John's Pen. All he'd been really involved in at that point were petty fist-fights and suddenly he's faced with a laser beam straight at his face coming from a girl he was told for days had literally no ability to do anything besides conjure up memories of books. If he had won and without any later consequences like amnesia, then everyone would have whined about them sweet plot armours like they already do in later novels. Not to mention the result of his amnesia was his carelessness at the aftermath of the situation, it was never John's Pen that openly defeated him.

Secondly, I find it absolutely fascinating how you're completely excluding a factor in what makes Tenzen right: are you keeping in mind the fact that Mikoto held on her own (or struggled, as you put it) against a Magic God

without really knowing what a Magic God is? And on a bike's luggage rack? With the quick wit needed to come up with solutions to not only save people from the mindless rampage but to also send it flying into bloody space?

And don't even get me started on the amount of nonsensically strong magic foes she's faced even before then with no even remote clue of what was up with them beyond the vast idea that it's something that comes from outside Academy City.

Compared to that, John's Pen is just a protective measure for the grimoires' safety that has to look up and adapt every spell to the situation which gives its enemy a lot of dead time to act while it changes strategics. And facing someone who, if she wasn't as kind as she is, could just directly kill John's Pen's host, Index, by electrocuting her to death from a distance...

Old 2017-03-16, 05:10   Link #383
KiharaRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsurin View Post
Yes, yes. Let's take two different situations and mash 'em up together to make an argument, yeah?

Firstly, of course Touma wasn't going to defeat John's Pen. All he'd been really involved in at that point were petty fist-fights and suddenly he's faced with a laser beam straight at his face coming from a girl he was told for days had literally no ability to do anything besides conjure up memories of books. If he had won and without any later consequences like amnesia, then everyone would have whined about them sweet plot armours like they already do in later novels. Not to mention the result of his amnesia was his carelessness at the aftermath of the situation, it was never John's Pen that openly defeated him.

Secondly, I find it absolutely fascinating how you're completely excluding a factor in what makes Tenzen right: are you keeping in mind the fact that Mikoto held on her own (or struggled, as you put it) against a Magic God

without really knowing what a Magic God is? And on a bike's luggage rack? With the quick wit needed to come up with solutions to not only save people from the mindless rampage but to also send it flying into bloody space?

And don't even get me started on the amount of nonsensically strong magic foes she's faced even before then with no even remote clue of what was up with them beyond the vast idea that it's something that comes from outside Academy City.

Compared to that, John's Pen is just a protective measure for the grimoires' safety that has to look up and adapt every spell to the situation which gives its enemy a lot of dead time to act while it changes strategics. And facing someone who, if she wasn't as kind as she is, could just directly kill John's Pen's host, Index, by electrocuting her to death from a distance...

While she did hold her own, I mean't she struggled to beat him. She could fight back but nothing could beat him. Although iron sand and magnetism could hold him back.
KiharaRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-16, 05:37   Link #384
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

And that's, again, coming from someone who didn't even understand what she was fighting and running away from.

You really shouldn't take situations and people that couldn't differ more to make your point. John's Pen isn't a Magic God even if it has its potential, and as Chosen_Hero said, if "AAAARGH HELP ME KANZAKI" Magnus fought against it and survived then a lot of other people can outright defeat it. I don't even get why this is a topic of debate.
Old 2017-03-16, 11:43   Link #385
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Just saying but if Styil can hold his own against John Penn mode then Mikoto who has fought infinitely stronger opponents and lived has nothing to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsurin View Post
And that's, again, coming from someone who didn't even understand what she was fighting and running away from.

You really shouldn't take situations and people that couldn't differ more to make your point. John's Pen isn't a Magic God even if it has its potential, and as Chosen_Hero said, if "AAAARGH HELP ME KANZAKI" Magnus fought against it and survived then a lot of other people can outright defeat it. I don't even get why this is a topic of debate.
Except Stiyl himself said she wasn't even at her 1% thanks to both Laura's "help" and Fiamma messing with her mind at the same time or else he would be dead.

Btw, a long distance attack won't work, SGS pretty much protects her against cheap shots and high tier magic.

Anyways, this talk has gone off, isn't even about NT17 anymore.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-16, 14:00   Link #386
vixyw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Except Stiyl himself said she wasn't even at her 1% thanks to both Laura's "help" and Fiamma messing with her mind at the same time or else he would be dead.

Btw, a long distance attack won't work, SGS pretty much protects her against cheap shots and high tier magic.

Anyways, this talk has gone off, isn't even about NT17 anymore.
Not that we have something left to talk about NT17, so we can just especulate about the next arc.

But yeah, I think Jhon's Pen can fight off any character of the series (even the Magic Gods) depending on the circumstances.
vixyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-16, 14:31   Link #387
Loremaster
He who writes too much.

I wonder what people's take on Misaka's condition after this volume. Would she fall into a coma from stress? Which is a possibility, though, in the hands of HC, the guy does quick work so I imagine she may still have a role in the upcoming NT but not in the best condition.

Or the author will give her character a break, but considering what's coming up I'm not entirely sure that will happen unless she lost her memories. But that really doesn't strike me as being the case.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-16, 15:10   Link #388
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Her selective indifference to things going on it's no differing to amnesia so the author will go that route and maybe move on to other things without involving her.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-16, 15:48   Link #389
Loremaster
He who writes too much.

'selective'

I do have to admit that's a nice way to put it, but it's something I don't agree with here. Either way, her taking a big hit this volume does make it more likely she will tap out for the next book. But I don't think she will be entirely absent, maybe its time for her to move aside and let Princess Carissa take her rightful role.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-11, 23:40   Link #390
tsunade666

rainy season and because of that, work is relatively light and thanks to that, i had time to spare. and time to waste.... and waste I did.

this is so stupid. that's what I fell when I read this and the previews volume.

sigh.....