AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2009-07-25, 12:47   Link #21
Barbobot

I can't say I generally remember the names of most eng dub actors, but Brina Palencia as Holo is extremely promising. Last thing I heard her doing was Juliet in RomeoxJuliet and she was doing an amazing job in that role.
Barbobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 19:36   Link #22
ikaroh

I'm not really a fan of dubs, but S&W should make a good dub since the characters are more serious and mature then most series. In general, comedies and moe-type shows with alot of high-pitched characters tend to make for bad dubs (IMHO of course). Also, with the setting being in medival Europe, english voices for the characters may actually be more appropriate then japanese ones.

If the dubbers screw this up, it's their own fault.
ikaroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 07:14   Link #23
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I'll definitely give the dub a chance and hope they do a solid job with it. Though if they do pronounce Horo and Holo that might make it tough. Not very informed when it comes to English voice actors so don't have any expectations for how it might turn out. Hopefully they do a good job since this show deserves to be seen the best it can.
Old 2009-08-06, 08:36   Link #24
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaroh View Post
I'm not really a fan of dubs, but S&W should make a good dub since the characters are more serious and mature then most series. In general, comedies and moe-type shows with alot of high-pitched characters tend to make for bad dubs (IMHO of course).
I agree with your point completely. I've found that on the whole American actresses are least successful with the high pitched girl characters too. I think it's because hearing English as such a high pitch is unsettling on a subconscious level. When the American VA is portraying a less childish character with a lower more normal range pitched voice, she tends to be more successful. There are exceptions, of course, but in general that's my experience. Because Horo is a more mature character, I have higher hopes for a successful dub.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 11:43   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye.... I listen to so much j-music I don't notice it anymore, but someone sitting in the car with me might say something about "who is that child singing in such a high pitch voice?" and they don't believe me when I tell them "um, I think she's about 25".

Actually the *funniest* time that happened was my own wife made that remark (she's of Japanese extraction and about 95lbs and 4'11") -- both our sons were in the back seat and it was a stereo "Mom!!! YOU sound like that!" followed by her denying it and them laughing their asses off.
Old 2009-08-13, 14:39   Link #26
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

I'm looking forward to picking up the season set when it releases. Actually, I noticed that Rightstuf is having a Funimation sale and the box set is available for the discount ($36 after discount). Not sure how that price will stack up to some other places, though.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Heminga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 22:40   Link #27
ATiWolF
Converted Horoist =D

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
I'm looking forward to picking up the season set when it releases. Actually, I noticed that Rightstuf is having a Funimation sale and the box set is available for the discount ($36 after discount). Not sure how that price will stack up to some other places, though.

YOU sir...just made my day.
I don't exactly understand what they mean by 'hybrid' when describing the Box Set, though.. Will it have English Dub and Japanese(as the alternate audio option within the dvd)? I'm totally preordering...without a doubt.
ATiWolF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 23:25   Link #28
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATiWolF View Post
YOU sir...just made my day.
I don't exactly understand what they mean by 'hybrid' when describing the Box Set, though.. Will it have English Dub and Japanese(as the alternate audio option within the dvd)? I'm totally preordering...without a doubt.
Well, that pretty much what a hybrid DVD is. Anyways has anyone check out the cover?

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=95079

Hopefully they;ll make that one final.
Old 2009-08-14, 18:31   Link #29
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

That cover looks cool. I'd like to see Lawrence on there, too, but that's just me.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-08-15, 17:34   Link #30
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I was just noticing something. On one of the recent episodes Horo signs her name and it looks like it's written as "Holo" (abiet in really bad cursive so you could debate it...) so she'll probably be Holo in the dub too. Kinda funny considering the entire fandom calls her Horo...
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 02:19   Link #31
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

well well i've no idea but well this series will be dub a texas dub roster well see on dvd this nov.

& by the way really does Palencia look like having a dub year in 09 from new rei, juliet, etc really must having a big push year.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 07:20   Link #32
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I was just noticing something. On one of the recent episodes Horo signs her name and it looks like it's written as "Holo" (abiet in really bad cursive so you could debate it...) so she'll probably be Holo in the dub too. Kinda funny considering the entire fandom calls her Horo...
Funi's site had her as 'Holo' before that episode. And the cursive wasn't really that bad...they just didn't know how to go from 'o' to the next letter correctly. It's still better than most cursive I've seen English-speaking people write. <_<

Old 2009-10-31, 19:17   Link #33
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Trailer is out!

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=3534
Old 2009-11-01, 15:05   Link #34
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Hmm, can't say I like the voices but the trailer does give a good view of what the show is about. Hopefully we won't have as many people going "WHY THE HECK IS THIS ABOUT MERCHANTS" after this...
Old 2009-11-01, 18:28   Link #35
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Feeling decidedly mixed about it here. The delivery of some lines was pretty solid ("you are a travelling peddler, are you not"), but a few, such as "I believe you are adorable" and the bit with Horo describing her homeland made me cringe.

Overall, it's not as bad as I was anticipating, but I don't think I'd go as far as to say I like it either.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 19:29   Link #36
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
"I believe you are adorable" and the bit with Horo describing her homeland made me cringe.
Funny, I found that to be one of the better ones. Anyways I'm pleased enough with the voice acting in the trailer and am looking forward to hearing more.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2009-11-01 at 22:05.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 23:16   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm .... not entirely pissed with the voice acting I've heard. Looking forward to see how it plays in context. One series I'll be happily buying.
Old 2009-11-02, 23:36   Link #38
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Good first impression, but why Holo?! Why not keep Horo? O well I actually like the voices of Horo and Lawrence from this trailer. Hopefully they continue the quality shown here consistently throughout the show. And I hope the "I believe you are adorable" line doesn't really play in THAT scene lol
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 23:45   Link #39
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Why Holo? Because apparently everyone to ever watch this series was incorrect in thinking that they were saying "Horo" when it was in fact "Holo." Blame the Japanese being ambiguous about their r's and l's, the l sounds are usually translated as r into English anyway but the Japanese don't seem to get the difference. (Seriously, the only people I know who could mispronounce "election" as something quiet different).
Old 2009-11-03, 09:38   Link #40
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
(Seriously, the only people I know who could mispronounce "election" as something quiet different).
Oh my. I hadn't ever thought about the implications of that particular transposition of the r & l sounds.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote