AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-03-18, 00:50   Link #1
Verify

I'm not really sure if Anime is for me...

So I got into anime recently but the problem is there is very few movies/series that I actually enjoy watching. I'm not sure if it's because they are outliers (so I probably won't find anything similar) or I'm not looking hard enough. The genre I like is slice of life with a bit of science fiction element to it (simplicity is also necessary, unless its not a movie) e.g. Steins;gate, Wolf Children, TGWLTT... Of course there are some exceptions where there is a bit too much fantasy like in Spirited Away but not every director is as good as Miyazaki so they're sort of an exception to the rule. Please help, I don't want to quit watching anime ☹️

Last edited by Verify; 2017-03-18 at 01:50.
Verify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 02:18   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Are you asking for suggestion?

edit: Thread moved to Custom Request

Last edited by monir; 2017-03-18 at 03:09.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 04:42   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Since Wolf Children is one of your examples, aside from sci-fi, it seems you’re okay with SoL with a bit of fantastical element too. So I guess both sci-fi & a bit of fantasy is okay. Well then, I can recommend the following (not really in order):

Kokoro Connect
Anohana
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
(The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Paprika
Hikaru no Go
Spice and Wolf
Kimi no Na Wa
(Your Name)
Mushishi
Kanon
Air
Clannad
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Toki o Kakeru Shoujo
(The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)
Summer Wars
Time of Eve
When Marnie was There
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Patlabor
(TV series)
Bakemonogatari
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
(Erased)
Dennou Coil
Bokurano
Robotic;Notes

Try reading the synopsis of those series and try the ones that interest you first.
Old 2017-03-18, 08:35   Link #4
mashingan
魔神眼

Additionally from posted above

Flying Witch
Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de (When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace)
Musaigen no Phantom World (Myriad Colors Phantom World)
Charlotte

I'll add it if I remember more
mashingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 09:10   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd start with Uchuu Kyoudai, a story about two brothers who want to become astronauts. Yes, it has 99 episodes, but they move right along. It has a strong slice-of-life aspect.

Planetes has a similar vibe. It concerns a group of "space trash collectors" living aboard a space station.

Next you might like Dennou Coil, a remarkable and visionary series about kids living in a small city with a virtual reality overlay visible only with special glasses. (This was made years before Google Glass.) Shows like this have a bit more fantasy than you might like, but that seems true for a lot of sci-fi anime I've seen.

Take Noein, for instance. It runs with the "many-worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics to fashion a story about warring parallel universes. In true anime fashion, the nexus of the conflict is a nice young girl living in Hokkaido.

The movie Summer Wars has a good mix of sci-fi, about a massive online world that threatens to destroy the real one, and a slice-of-life story about an extended Japanese family.

Finally I'll suggest Ghost Hound, an intriguing, if not always successful blend of neuroscience, psychiatry, and the supernatural from the creators of Ghost in the Shell.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 14:28   Link #6
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Since Wolf Children is one of your examples, aside from sci-fi, it seems you’re okay with SoL with a bit of fantastical element too. So I guess both sci-fi & a bit of fantasy is okay. Well then, I can recommend the following (not really in order):

Kokoro Connect
Anohana
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
(The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Paprika
Hikaru no Go
Spice and Wolf
Kimi no Na Wa
(Your Name)
Mushishi
Kanon
Air
Clannad
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Toki o Kakeru Shoujo
(The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)
Summer Wars
Time of Eve
When Marnie was There
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Patlabor
(TV series)
Bakemonogatari
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
(Erased)
Dennou Coil
Bokurano
Robotic;Notes

Try reading the synopsis of those series and try the ones that interest you first.
Might also try Mokke. That one is really not talked about much but it's really a nice slice-of-life with supernatural elements.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-19, 16:25   Link #7
kitten320

What about sport series? Those are slice of life too.

Aoi Bungaku Series - set of mini stories with slice of life aspect.
Aria The Animation - slice of life with fantasy elements. It is vveeerrryyy calm so might not be for everyone but it is interesting.
Bakuman - slice of life about manga creation.
Beck - slice of life about music
Boku dake ga Inai Machi - has a bit of a stein gate feel.
Hanasaku Iroha
Hotarubi no Mori e - slice of life mini film with fantasy elements. Might remind of Spirited Away a bit.
Hyouka
Kimi no Na wa.
Kokoro Connect
Monster
- detective series with western film feel to it. Very unique anime wise.
Natsume Yuujinchou - spirited away type of thing
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - action with realistic feel to it. About a guy who was robbed of his memories and forced to become and underworld assassin.
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - slice of life type of series set in prison.
Sakamichi no Apollon
Seirei no Moribito
- action fantasy but with more natural feel to it. Not like general anime. Has some slice of life episodes.
Tari Tari
Uchuu Kyoudai
Usagi Drop
Old 2017-03-20, 19:07   Link #8
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

If it's a sci-fi slice-of-life, the upcoming ID-0 looks like it might be what you're looking for. It starts airing on April 9th, so look out for fansubs around then.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-21, 01:31   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm... Slice Of Life with Sci-fi elements (and maybe fantasy elements if they are not overdone)

Some suggestions:

Bodacious Space Pirates

Despite the name, it's actually a slice of life mixed with rather hard sci-fi (combined with the trendy high school girl club setting) all about a young woman who inherits her father's letter of marque and becomes a privateer. (Which for some reason they insist on calling a pirate).

Has it's flaws but if you like the science part of sci-fi it's based on a novel written by an actual astrophysicist. Most people who don't like it complain about "too much world building and slice of life."

Crest of the Stars (and sequels Banner of the Stars)

A more traditional space opera, I really enjoyed Crest of the Stars. Great characters, interesting plot, and most of all for me, real speculative science instead of the fantasy with a scientific gloss.

Full Metal Panic

If you are asking for slice of life plus sci-fi I have to mention Full Metal Panic. It's a mecha sci-fi, but using realistic robots instead of the more fantastical kinds, which introduces a more military nature to the show. Additionally, it is set in an AU in a relatively similar time period as now. Known for being more accessible to western viewers than most anime (since parodies of American war films are common) it's a romantic comedy, military drama with the second season (Fumoffu) having a lot of slice of life elements.

Cowboy Bebop

Of course I have to mention the Space Western of anime. Very popular with western viewers.

A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun series.

Index is conceived as a "the worlds of science and magic collide" show. It's based in "Academy City" a center of scientific advancements, including ESPers (Extra Sensory Perception Users, basically the equivalent of mutants in X-men). Magic users also exist in secret. It follows the adventures of Touma who can nullify magic/ESP in both the magic and science worlds.

Railgun is the spinoff- focused around the most popular character of Index: Misaka Mikoto, an ESP user on the science side. As such it deals almost exclusively with the sci-fi elements. It also has large amounts of slice of life with the daily life of Mikoto and her friends.

The structure is such that you can start with either the Index or the Railgun series (Railgun is actually chronologically the start, but it overlaps extensively with Index). Index is generally judged to have the better plots and concepts, but Railgun is clearly better executed in it's direction and storytelling. Railgun is also known to have more fanservice (almost entirely yuri in nature). The second season of Railgun, Railgun S is also clearly the best story currently animated (the Sisters Arc, which was first animated in Index I but was so good that we get an extended version from Mikoto's viewpoint in Railgun II).

If you want true old school sci-fi, you can always try Space Battleship Yamato. You'll probably want to watch the 2199 remake (better production values) although the 1970's version has more slice of life style episodes.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote