Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-09-23, 18:35   Link #181
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are they trying to discourage kids from staring at their phones all day by scaring the shit out of them?

Perhaps Nanashi himself is an oni born from suicide. That would help explain why Kitarou and Daddy know so little about him.
To me, more of a general rail against zombie-like sumaho addiction, which is certainly endemic here.

As for Nanashi, what you're describing is pretty much Kubire-oni exactly, so I wouldn't think it would be his origin story too. Has to be something else.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 01:00   Link #182
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

"When one person is cursed, two graves are dug."

Still waiting for Enma Ai to make her guest appearance.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 21:36   Link #183
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Although I think it was a good enough episode, the chanting by the phone zombies felt a bit too obvious/lecturing. Especially since the theme of the episode was that cursing dug two graves, it especially felt out-of-place that they would be going "You'll be cursed if you look at your phone too much"

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 15:48   Link #184
Blueknight78

wow what a direct "in your face" for SJW and they "idea of forcing they manners in the others, that yokais somehow i feel half to half, because while being killed is not good what they where doing in kitaro florest was crap, peoples must learn to "respect" others places and stop to only care about "thet special snowflakes needs".
Old 2018-10-07, 16:30   Link #185
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Personally, I read the refugees as caricatures of someone's worst fears. I couldn't help remembering that Japanese society has a history of mistrusting foreigners.

Also, note that there's plenty of blame placed on Nezumi-Otoko and his greedy capitalist ways, too.

Different people getting to know each other and figuring out how to live together is hard. There should be no illusions about that. But it's also necessary, especially in the face of common enemy like the one that's after them. It would have been nice if some of the refugees could have survived the battle, so they could have told that part of the story.
Old 2018-10-07, 16:41   Link #186
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Personally, I read the refugees as caricatures of someone's worst fears. I couldn't help remembering that Japanese society has a history of mistrusting foreigners.

Also, note that there's plenty of blame placed on Nezumi-Otoko and his greedy capitalist ways, too.

Different people getting to know each other and figuring out how to live together is hard. There should be no illusions about that. But it's also necessary, especially in the face of common enemy like the one that's after them. It would have been nice if some of the refugees could have survived the battle, so they could have told that part of the story.
to be fair i don't think this is "worst fear" when we actually ( at last i already saw) a lot of peoples nowdays doing exactly like that youkais, coming to places and start to shout "diversity demand some crazy things because they are "special" and if you not do what they want you are "racist/sexist/xenophobic/homophobic/naxist/White supremacist and many others crap ways to insult someone.

We do have a lot fo "extreme liberals bordeline chaos/anarchists which do think which they are "more important than everyone and can pull they tamtrum and make crazy orders over everyone.

ofcourse in the same way we have extreme peoples in the other side too but, we are living in a age where being "extreme" and unreasonable is being the "normal".

and remember the most important rule, if you are living in a different place you are the one which first must "adapt" to the place before the place can make any change for you if needed not the opposite which is the problem if many extreme liberals nowadays.
Old 2018-10-07, 17:11   Link #187
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I'm not having this argument here. This is not the place. But dude, I live in Los Angeles. We've got refugees, and immigrants in general, coming out our ears. They do not act like that.
Old 2018-10-07, 17:29   Link #188
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I'm not having this argument here. This is not the place. But dude, I live in Los Angeles. We've got refugees, and immigrants in general, coming out our ears. They do not act like that.
well i never told which "every person does that" but not everyone which come are also "fine", my point and the what i get from this episode, is which "that sort of peoples" does exist and are really annoying and sometimes they don't even know which they are annoying because they manners are "normal for them" but this don't means which will be "normal for everyone one".

This is why is important remember to know "local rules" before trying to be "full yourself because some of your manners can be "bad in some places".

While not everyone come to a place will be like that, a good ammount will be, specially nowadays.
Old 2018-10-07, 19:45   Link #189
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I would have just preferred a more nuanced treatment. Like I said, if some of the refugees had survived, we could have had them and Kitaro's group talk about working through their differences, even though it was hard. That would have been better.
Old 2018-10-07, 20:33   Link #190
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The really sad part for me is that clearly, in its dealings with matters such as WW II, workplace bullying and free thought in schools, this incarnation of Gegege no Kitarou has shown itself to be quite forward-thinking in most respects. It's certainly not the mindset of a nationalist lite novel. But when it comes to foreigners, even "liberal" Japanese fall into the same trap. If it's not abject racism (that's the bailiwick of the nationalists, and anime has that covered amply) it's the kind of condescending paternalism we saw in this episode. I don't think I need to explain what I mean - I believe it's pretty clear in the way events played out - but it's depressing as hell.
Old 2018-10-09, 16:38   Link #191
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The really sad part for me is that clearly, in its dealings with matters such as WW II, workplace bullying and free thought in schools, this incarnation of Gegege no Kitarou has shown itself to be quite forward-thinking in most respects. It's certainly not the mindset of a nationalist lite novel. But when it comes to foreigners, even "liberal" Japanese fall into the same trap. If it's not abject racism (that's the bailiwick of the nationalists, and anime has that covered amply) it's the kind of condescending paternalism we saw in this episode. I don't think I need to explain what I mean - I believe it's pretty clear in the way events played out - but it's depressing as hell.
i think this serie is more like being a criticize to "all the crap in the nowadays, not only bully, or war or "hard work" or school but also others socials like "toxic mindsets as we saw in that episode, is because of behavious like the ones of that which you ending get a western divided between extreme right and extreme left, western currently is on a very crap situation with peoples from both sides being extremists crazy and the worst is which none of them recognize they issues and think which what they are doing is fine which is not, western if forgeting the most basic principle of "respect" where you get everyone being "racist" sexist and every crap possible in they own way because they thing which what they are doing is the "right thing" to do which in many cases is exactly the opposite.

we must just learn to respect each other and remember which my freedom end when the other person freedom start and i can't expectat to everyone agree or worst "obey" and accept all my opnions, this is what "free will is for but mos important is "respect others peoples.
Old 2018-10-14, 12:09   Link #192
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So the head yokai is American? I imagined all of his minions came from someplace like Transylvania with that castle and all.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 12:12   Link #193
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

From what I can gather, Backbeard doesn't seem to have a solid legend he came from. Some people say he is based off of an English monster, though whether that is "America"'s...
Also, Frankenstein is also English (but not American).

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2018-10-21, 01:04   Link #194
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Halloween episode next week!

And judging from the little bits we saw in the preview, it looks like Mana is dressing up as Neko-musume.
Old 2018-10-21, 07:31   Link #195
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

so Victor Frankenstein became the Incredible Hulk, Victor smash!
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-21, 09:24   Link #196
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

I actually enjoy this longer story arc. The witch is a very likable side-heroine and it’s definitely a good chance of pace and atmosphere. Well-timed, too, as we’ll have a "Halloween" episode next week. Nothing quite beats episode 20 yet and I’m looking forward to the next poignant and meaningful episode that will pull such a strong emotional punch, but right now the Western yōkai arc is just very enjoyable for what it is.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-21, 12:09   Link #197
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Mecha View Post
so Victor Frankenstein became the Incredible Hulk, Victor smash!
And then King Kong

Old 2018-11-04, 01:36   Link #198
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Here in America, you can get adzuki beans at the Whole Foods Market or similar stores. There are no yokai selling them, though.

I actually like them, mixed with some rice, split peas and lentils. I also tried making red bean paste a few months ago. Took me all day, but wasn't half-bad.
Old 2018-11-04, 02:07   Link #199
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

lol, Youtuber

Old 2018-11-18, 06:35   Link #200
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Best episode in many weeks, that one.

Tags
old anime, remake