AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-08-08, 11:37   Link #1
zka

BayTSP using crawlers in order to obtain ip's from torrents and to send DMCA....

Added 2008/09/08:
As this thread is now linked from the front page (and I have to admit I've should have done this way earlier, I apologize for not doing this sooner), I like to add a few pointers:
  • Titles affected
    Known list:
    • Sekirei
    • Tetsuwan Birdy Decode
    • Persona ~Trinity Soul~
    • Queen's Blade
    For a full list of Aniplex productions, check the ANN Encyclopedia

• Titles mentioned in DMCA notices sent on behalf of Aniplex are not considered licensed by AnimeSuki
    It's simple: Aniplex is a Japanese anime studio. As the original rights holder, they have the right to sent out DMCA notices to anyone who infringes on their works, but it doesn't mean the series in question is going to be licensed in the US any time soon.

• BitTorrent is an insecure protocol
    Face it. Any time you download a torrent, your BT client contacts a tracker which holds a list of IPs that are also downloading the file(s) in question and adds your IP to this list as well. This is the primary source of evidence for BayTSP. Also note that encryption won't stop this; encryption will only (potentially) prevent bandwidth throttling but it won't hide your IP from BT trackers.

If you want to prevent from being targeted by these DMCA notices by Aniplex, either download the affected series some other way (IRC, newsgroups, fileshare, etc) or just avoid Aniplex series altogether.

For updated info, see http://wiki.animesuki.com/wiki/DMCA_notices

- GHDpro

(My apologies for zka for hijacking his post, but if I put this at the end of the thread a lot of people would miss it)

Well, just found out on irc by following a conversation that BayTSP is using crawlers on tokyotosho and animesuki in order to obtain ip's and in turn send letters to the ISP's and users when one is downloading a series, even if that series is unlicensed.

Got this from a link that was posted too which pretty much sums the conversation that went on :

Torrents links uploaded to tokyotosho.com have been compromised. Agroup that is similar to Media Defender called BayTSP run by a selfrighteous faggot named Mark Ishikawa has sent crawlers out to searchfor addresses to send DMCA Cease and Desist letters. Companies such asAniplex have hired this distasteful group to work on their behalf. Theyhave even giving warnings for animes unlicensed in USA/English with nocertain date for release.

And only to confirm this there was already one response on anidb regarding chihiros releases of sekirei..

"so i got something that beats anything you guys have to say about this group. I'm not flaming, trolling, or anything.

I JUST got off the phone with my ISP here in Kentucky. The only group I've dl'ed Sekirei from is Chihiro. Guess who sent a Cease and Desist: Copyright Infringement notice to my ISP and had my internet disabled? Aniplex. Why was that sent? I was downloading Sekirei "using a bittorrent network with the files available for others to upload / download."

I have never in my life had a problem with 'the law' becasue of my downloads. I definitely won't be touching a single series from this group from now on, though. As it was explained to me by the kind gentleman at my ISP, they connect themselves to the swarm and then check IP's for others in it. Don't know if it has anything to do with Chihiro's group in particular, but I am certainly not going to put my trust in their group if I've only downloaded 1 series from them 1 day and got C&D immediately. (dl'ed ep 1-5 two or three days ago). All I'm saying is, be careful."

Found an old thread about this from 2007 but there was no major "raid" on torrents as it seems..... As of a few days ago there seems to be quite a large number of ppl that have received DMCA's so I'm wondering if anyone has more information about this..

Last edited by GHDpro; 2009-09-30 at 06:13. Reason: Added Queen's Blade
zka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 12:37   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

BayTSP has been around since, what, 2002? Yes, the guy running it is a self-promoting dilweed who sees a "value-added service" niche to fill. Nothing new there. They burble up in the news every year or two. He talks like a swaggering righteous paladin because his clients love it.

The anidb post doesn't make a lot of sense (linkage and date, please? For all we know, the post is years old).
edit: did a search of anidb for any use of the word "chihiro" or "cease + desist" or "Kentucky". No such post popped up with default settings.

Unless Chihiro runs their own trackers (they don't) there's no connection at all between who did a fansub and how one might get a D&C. It also doesn't sound like the poster was running with full encryption. Also, running by Chihiro's website reveals no unusual noises - they're recruiting translators.

Clue: run with full encryption, randomize your ports periodically, go offline occasionally, clear your torrents when you've done your torrential duties, oh.. .and run with Peer Guardian.

Lastly.... who is this "large number of ppl that have received DMCA" notices as of a few days ago? How many is that? Where was it reported?

Also went to the tokyotosho site .... a deep search of the forums showed no reports of torrent compromise. Information source for that?

What I'm basically saying is that this is mostly hearsay and arm-waving (FUD). Specifics are important in this sort of information.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-08-08 at 13:36.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 12:41   Link #3
zka

Well, since I'm in like 20´+ channels on irc i read about 5-10 ppl who were talking that they got the letters and that's why i made the thread.

anidb post cant be years old as the episode 5 of sekirei was released last week.

But since you say that the company has been doing this since 2002.. Just hope that it isnt awakening from its deep sleep...
Old 2008-08-08, 13:00   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

5-10 does not equal "large" ..... it would be interesting to know if they were major seeding nodes or not.

Link to anidb post? I'm searching the anidb forums right now and granted, their search function seems to be very nearsighted. A search for "Sekirei" on all forums, text and title gets zero hits.

The company hasn't ever really gone to sleep... they just produce enough "hits" so they can tell the clients they're on the march.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BayTSP
They mostly focus on their "big money" clients like Paramount and MGM.

Seriously, links and references are important for stuff like this --- otherwise it just creates possibly unnecessary consternation.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-08-08 at 13:10.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 13:19   Link #5
Saleh
Inactive

It seems that news about Sekiei being originated from BloodRyanes post (few days ago) at animesuki. There were also some comments made about it on Chihiro's comment section. Anirena also has a small article mentioning that their network was being monitored. Don't know about IRC channels but I wasn't able to locate info of a large C & D attack from BayTSP for now.

Edit - I agree with you . OP seems to have exaggerated it a bit. Atleast the chaos is spreading purely through IRC if OP is correct.

Last edited by Saleh; 2008-08-08 at 13:59.
Saleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 13:34   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I'm not saying the information isn't legitimate.. .only that validation and verification is needed before everyone starts running around screaming

The chihiro linkage is useful info (though it doesn't have them much worried or it'd be given more presence...)
Old 2008-08-09, 05:29   Link #7
zka

Okey.. It would be nice if I just exaggerated Good to know that this isn't new.

As i said i made the thread after having noticed 5-10ppl talking about getting DMCA on irc. Since as I said I am in like 20+ channels on and "connected" to at least 10k ppl, and to be able to be online right at the same time when people were discussing this just makes me feel that there is more of this as I'm irc actively only for like a hour a day at most.

Now we have as Saleh posted bloodryanes post http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=798

Chihiros comment section http://www.chihiro-subs.com/2008/08/...i-06/#comments

Anidbs comment section of the sekirei (the comments that one gives to a group in this case chihiro made by xenomoon) http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...megroup&page=1

And just this morning a post on animesuki made by flareknight http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=890

Seems that sekirei is the common link here so.... That makes it a few ppl that got the DMCA in the last week....
Old 2008-08-09, 11:33   Link #8
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Clue: run with full encryption, randomize your ports periodically, go offline occasionally, clear your torrents when you've done your torrential duties, oh.. .and run with Peer Guardian.
I guess I'm still a p2p noob. Would you mind expanding on those clues a bit, please?

Where do you set encryption?
Randomize ports in the torrent app?
I'm using static IP (need to for port forward on my router), does it matter if I go offline?

I'm off to read the Peer Guardian FAQ, now.
Old 2008-08-09, 11:38   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't really see how encryption helps against having your IP scraped from a tracker. I understand how the stream can be encrypted, but I don't see how it would protect your address.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 12:33   Link #10
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Not exactly OT, but it's torrent related, just posted today:

http://torrentfreak.com/trafficloade...alware-080809/

The things some people will try.

edit- And for anyone else, like me, still learning about this stuff, here's an interesting video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U-f47S5Cb8

Last edited by Mushi; 2008-08-09 at 12:44.
Mushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 14:49   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Where the knobs are depends on which torrent client you use. These instructions are for utorrent:
For encryption -
Preferences/Options/Bittorrent/
Set Protocol Encryption to "outgoing-enabled" and unclick the Incoming Legacy box.

For port randomization -
Preferences/Options/Connection/
Click the "Randomize port each time utorrent starts" box (and you might occasionally click the Random Port button every day or so while its running).

It doesn't matter if you go offline --- what'll happen is that the other nodes in the cloud will just mark you as not responding and eventually you'll be idled until you start responding again.

Full encryption only helps against deep packet inspection from ISPs that are being asshats about what kind of packets you make and get.

Your IP can still be scraped against a particular tracker... but recent legal rulings keep gradually sliding in the user's favor on that (mostly because the IP "protectors" keep shooting themselves in the foot legally).
Old 2008-08-09, 15:36   Link #12
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

I'm using BitTornado. Have been for what seems like forever. The latest experimental version has encryption, I've been using the stable one. I'll grab the newer one, though it doesn't really sound like encryption is that big of a deal.

I'm using PeerGuardian 2, now. That's interesting... lots of blocked addresses showing up. To think that my torrent activity has possibly been getting monitored all this time... Well, I knew it was likely, to some degree, but seeing the number of addresses blocked in a tangible way is somewhat alarming.

Thanks for the tips. I feel like it's stuff I should already know, but... that's how it is.
Old 2008-08-10, 07:53   Link #13
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
I'm using PeerGuardian 2, now. That's interesting... lots of blocked addresses showing up. To think that my torrent activity has possibly been getting monitored all this time... Well, I knew it was likely, to some degree, but seeing the number of addresses blocked in a tangible way is somewhat alarming.
That because most of those blocked IP addresses are from innocent people which is why if you ask the "should I be using peer guardian" question on the demonoid forums you'd get something that looks like what I'm about to say......

Peer guardian IS a placebo that gives a false sense of security and the blocklists are as little a 5% effective and don't decrease your chance of getting a C&D notice form your ISP (why do you think a lot of people had trouble accessing anirena when they implemented peer guardian on their site and tracker).

Take my advice you'd be safer without it then with it.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 12:46   Link #14
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Peer guardian IS a placebo that gives a false sense of security and the blocklists are as little a 5% effective and don't decrease your chance of getting a C&D notice form your ISP (why do you think a lot of people had trouble accessing anirena when they implemented peer guardian on their site and tracker).

Well, 5% protection is better than 0% protection. I don't see how I could be safer without it, but I understand what you're saying.... it's a small amount of protection with the potential to reduce the number of others you can share your files with.

I have read some things about the blocklists being controversial and subject to false identities. That and the fact that anti-p2p interests monitor them and are likely to change their own IPs accordingly. M'eh... it's confusing.

On a side note, I like your avatar, demonix. Mari was my first choice in Little My Maid.
Spoiler for Mari:
Old 2008-08-11, 02:58   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
That because most of those blocked IP addresses are from innocent people which is why if you ask the "should I be using peer guardian" question on the demonoid forums you'd get something that looks like what I'm about to say......

Not to start a fight... but I'm curious now. Where do you get your statistics?

Got any references or basis for these assertions?
1) Most IP blocked addresses are from innocent people.
2) blocklists as little as 5% effective.
3) don't decrease your chance of a C&D. (whats the chance to begin with?)

And finally... how exactly are you safer without it? Feel free to be technical.
Old 2008-08-11, 05:28   Link #16
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Not to start a fight... but I'm curious now. Where do you get your statistics?

Got any references or basis for these assertions?
1) Most IP blocked addresses are from innocent people.
2) blocklists as little as 5% effective.
3) don't decrease your chance of a C&D. (whats the chance to begin with?)

And finally... how exactly are you safer without it? Feel free to be technical.
OK to prove my point......
1) I do believe that the anirena fiasco (with them using a peer guardian system which would use the exact same blocklists) would prove my point that most of those IP addresses are of innocent people (plus the fact that the people who create those blocklists always block IP addresses "just to be safe" when they shouldn't have blocked them at all)
2) Leaked mediadefender e-mails which have been out for a while (plus the anti-piracy lot always change their IP addresses to circumvent the blocklists and you should remember that they CAN obtain these lists themselves).
3) refer to number 2 for that.

Plus I get all my information about PG2 from a user on demonoid who is an EXPERT in matters like this.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 06:54   Link #17
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

What about if you use the Tor network to connect to the tracker?

I presume that would keep anyone from grabbing your IP address from a scrape.

I say we just move all fansub distro to perfect dark .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 09:05   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I assume you posted the recommendation about Tor in jest, right, Quarkboy? The Tor network doesn't have the bandwidth to handle torrents, nor was it designed for that. It was designed to help people living under oppressive regimes communicate anonymously over the Internet. All of its bandwidth is contributed by volunteers. Please don't interfere with this important political function just to torrent some fansub.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 12:03   Link #19
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I assume you posted the recommendation about Tor in jest, right, Quarkboy? The Tor network doesn't have the bandwidth to handle torrents, nor was it designed for that. It was designed to help people living under oppressive regimes communicate anonymously over the Internet. All of its bandwidth is contributed by volunteers. Please don't interfere with this important political function just to torrent some fansub.
No, no, no... I didn't mean for the actual node connection for data transfer, just for the TRACKER connection. That takes very little bandwidth and would mask your IP from the tracker while still enabling you to grab the node list.

Obviously you don't use Tor for actual downloading, that'd never work (nor is Tor designed for that).
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 12:40   Link #20
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I admit I don't know how the BT protocol works in detail so feel free to correct me if I got something fundamentally wrong. But obviously the tracker needs to know your true IP otherwise it can't direct peers to you. So if everybody connects to the tracker via Tor the system breaks down, doesn't it. Furthermore, the tracker knowing your IP isn't the problem as long as it can be trusted. The peers are a different problem. Because everybody can join the party and make rapid fire requests for peers.

On the other hand, I'm quite sure Tor can in principle be used for the packet exchange too although exist nodes block the standard ports per default AFAIK. Seiji is right of course that in that case the Tor infrastructure would break down in no time.

What we need in the end are much more Tor nodes. If everybody would be running one ... but I'm dreaming.

Tags
dmca